• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Only a few more hours until......

CbSJnEr.png

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
In the new Direct/state of play era I don't think Feb is completely out of the question. Apple can announce events with 1-2 weeks heads up, I don't see any reason why Sony can't. Whether they do it idk
Having no live conference/event/meeting would explain why no one has received any invites for a supposed PS event in February.

The benefit to having a digital mode of delivery is that you can just suddenly announce a surprise event, akin to Apple, as you've pointed out.

I think that would be kinda unfair, considering rumor we've heard of the reveal event being moved a few times. I mean, just because plans change doesn't mean what he was told was a lie.
People also need to remember that it's entirely possible that an insider's information was right at the time they gave it. With the rumors that the dev kit went back to the drawing board, it's within the realm of reason that they were right but became wrong later on.
Yeah that's kinda the thing I wish more people would realize. Things do in fact change, and there's a world of difference between someone that has proper information *at the time* and it turns out to be different, vs. someone just spouting nonsense.
Yea, that's a fair outlook on the matter.

PS5 development seems to be all over the place, so it wouldn't be fair to hold that against Klee.

I'll *cautiously* remain on team #Klee.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Lol at that other thread. Speculation from some ign guy in Japan.

is it really THAT different from saying "lol, speculation from some guy in _____". i mean, we do that all the time in this thread with countless journalists, youtubers, tweeters, and pastebins. this seems certainly more reliable than at least some of whats posted here LOL

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
is it really THAT different from saying "lol, speculation from some guy in _____". i mean, we do that all the time in this thread with countless journalists, youtubers, tweeters, and pastebins. this seems certainly more reliable than at least some of whats posted here LOL

I think the speculation is fine, my only issue is circling back to old issues. New information is always welcomed in my brain!

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting for "Pro" consoles few years down the road:

-30% power at same performance won't be nearly enough for a "Pro" type of upgrade (considering that it will have to deal with 8K to be any kind of an upgrade at all).
Slim versions are far more likely on N5/P.
Pros? I dunno if we'll even get them next gen.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
-30% power at same performance won't be nearly enough for a "Pro" type of upgrade (considering that it will have to deal with 8K to be any kind of an upgrade at all).
Slim versions are far more likely on N5/P.
Pros? I dunno if we'll even get them next gen.

dont see it unless they go chiplet. 4K drove mid gen this gen, dot see the equivalent driver this time. They'll want to be on 3nm or whatever comes afterthat, and even 3nm may not be enough for a monolithic APU

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
dont see it unless they go chiplet. 4K drove mid gen this gen, dot see the equivalent driver this time. They'll want to be on 3nm or whatever comes afterthat, and even 3nm may not be enough for a monolithic APU
8K? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Chiplets automatically mean x2+ costs of chips production so while it's possible it is somewhat unlikely in the short term as well.
Next gen performance upgrades will be limited by production pricing first and foremost - and if these won't fall down enough over the life spans of next gen h/w we may not get them at all.
Slims are highly possible though.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
I wasn't a fan of the name until this, i want your SeX
I'm team SeX, at least for as long as it takes me to work a decent SeX BoM joke into this thread.
Yes!

No. This is silly. XSX.
Too late! Also not as fun. I kinda like the name tbh. Defo better than Xbone lol

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Yeh pretty much what I was saying, but I think he SHOULD be called out if the 9.2 TF PS5 and 12 TF XSX rumor turns out true.
We don't know what his sources knew about Xbox and PS5 and if the source got confused with older specs that referenced early devkits with Vega cards or something. Or maybe there's something about a 9TF PS5 that makes it run like an XSX, like HBM+better raytracing. Or the source was messing with him.

We're playing the world's worst game of telephone here, where leakers need to obfuscate details so they don't risk their jobs, and others deliberately twist clear statements to a breaking point. I'm not going to call out anyone operating in good faith even if they're wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.