• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Generally, you are a nice person my friend, but please stop with this repeated "the sky is falling!" kind of post. People, as seen by senjutsusage just now, actually think you are reacting to legitimately new info, and it does nothing to help keep the known info clear.

Breathe. No matter which console ends up more powerful, everything will be okay. We promise.
Oh it's not that, I am actually of the opinion the differences will be nothing and my prediction is PS5 could be 10.2 TF with a 40 CU part. That's all :)

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
So what is the difference between 12 and 13 TF in reality? What is one really getting out of that in real, applicable terms making games?

Teraflops are not the whole story to begin with, since there are a lot of other factors in play that determine how strong and how efficient a console is. So really, it just tells us who has a higher number on paper and who, theoretically if both companies execute the same machine perfectly, would come out on top.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Teraflops are not the whole story to begin with, since there are a lot of other factors in play that determine how strong and how efficient a console is. So really, it just tells us who has a higher number on paper and who, theoretically if both companies execute the same machine perfectly, would come out on top.
Ah. K thanks.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed.

My prediction is:

Xbox has the best GPU
Playstation has the best SSD solution
Xbox has the best CPU
A wash on Ray tracing capabilities

From a marketing perspective :

Identical pricing on equivalent SKUs.
Xbox push the raw power narrative
Playstation push the fastest narrative, plus fancy controller

It's a safe prediction.

If the rumoured power gap is negligible then I doubt either company runs with a raw power narrative. PS4 and XB1X were pushed as the most powerful consoles in the world because they were considerably more powerful than their counterparts.

Plus, what does "raw power" translate to in terms of game experiences with a 10-15% gap? I don't think it'd be noticeable to most people, and if they perform pretty much the same as each other then it'd be a waste of marketing to be yelling about raw power when there are other things to be talking about instead, like QoL improvements, accessibility, services etc.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

true but they use the same gpu architecture, and everything else (like bandwidth) generally scales around the flops.

There's a reason if you have to pick ONE stat, it's the one.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Yeap people here are vastly under estimating the power of the SSD and the way it can enhance dynamism and immersion. If one console has an SSD with 2x the speed it's far more important than any tiny GPU Delta

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
If the rumoured power gap is negligible then I doubt either company runs with a raw power narrative. PS4 and XB1X were pushed as the most powerful consoles in the world because they were considerably more powerful than their counterparts.

Plus, what does "raw power" translate to in terms of game experiences with a 10-15% gap? I don't think it'd be noticeable to most people, and if they perform pretty much the same as each other then it'd be a waste of marketing to be yelling about raw power when there are other things to be talking about instead, like QoL improvements, accessibility, services etc.

yep, xbox was almost 50% less powerful than ps4 last time. where it starts to become a big deal. even then laypeople probably couldn't tell the difference.

whoever comes out on top, this time the gap may be 20% or less. it's not as big a deal, although imo still extremely relevant.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
It's a difference of Digital Foundry zooming in 400% instead of 500% to spot the difference in grass textures.
Cheers mate, now this puts my mind at ease, if the 15% difference only equates to small graphical details that only professionals like Digital Foundries can analyse after extensive investing but the average hardcore player can't really tell the difference then i am perfectly contempt with the difference.

Like how most gamers can't tell the difference between native 4K vs checkerboad 4K.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Xbox will definitely run with the narrative , they already are angling it.

Phil Spencer is talking about power because it's a next-gen console. He's basically pushing it as a powerful console to market the fact that it's more powerful and capable than the console they released just 2 years ago and if people want the next best Xbox, then this one's it.

Aug 23, 2018
I didn't say more or less powerful, therefore you are wrong.

giphy.gif

MrDeveus

Apr 26, 2019
After a entire evening of TF numbers and which console would be strongest, this morning Jason Schreier comes on and says something like "TF's are a bad way to determine who will have a console advantage this gen, because of other things like the CPU,Ram, and storage solution i.e SSD that would truly matter this gen when it comes to next gen games."

I have overwhelming feeling now we will end the night still talking about TF numbers and which console is more powerful.

SMH

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Just chill. We are all just having a bit of fun. I didn't know the plastic business was that serious so to iterate, I already shared everything I wanted to say a few days ago here.

And now I drink a real tea.

Perhaps, as I believe you're a developer, you could go into more what advantages developers are going to see from next gen hardware like the Xbox Series X instead of posting pictures of Kermit the Frog? I know I'd be more interested in that.

How so? I would imagine how games are made would be changed by faster read/write speeds but I don't think that would have a major impact otherwise.

I'm not a game developer but I would assume it would change how games are designed not just how they're made. Kratos wouldn't have that slow process of fast travel if loading wasn't as big of an issue. Cal in Jedi Fallen Order wouldn't have to squeeze through a gap every five minutes if the devs can assume everyone is on an SSD.

Dude, the difference between them is fucking NOTHING.

That's what makes this thread incredible to watch. By next year, the PS5 is gonna be 25TF going by this thread and the Series X might be lucky to be 7TF with DDR3 RAM.

We should talk about the real stuff, like how the Series X can play Bill Gates's favorite game Fusion Frenzy.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
Should have split the threads, i think its pretty clear that the warriors aren't changing, Who gives a flying fuck who's more powerful and making definitive statements when both are unconfirmed specs makes you look silly

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
true but they use the same gpu architecture, and everything else (like bandwidth) generally scales around the flops.

There's a reason if you have to pick ONE stat, it's the one.

Oh, I agree that it is a good indicator. Was just being clear that it is not the only indicator and if the Tflops gap is small enough, the "weaker" of the two can pull ahead through other means.

I'd never pick just one stat for these kinds of things and I think hyping one stat as the end all be all is how we can end up being a little misled.

Important, yes! Only thing that matters, certainly not.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude, the difference between them is fucking NOTHING.

That's what makes this thread incredible to watch. By next year, the PS5 is gonna be 25TF going by this thread and the Series X might be lucky to be 7TF with DDR3 RAM.
Only in your head is that happening.

And wow did that tea moment put this thread on an even weirder note than before.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom

Now i don't particularly remember but given that the PS4 was slightly more powerful than the Xbox One by a negligible margin (think like 0.6tf difference) did any of them push the 'more powerful' narrative in there marketing like the Xbox One X does or did they ignore the power difference in the marketing?

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
I'm not a game developer but I would assume it would change how games are designed not just how they're made. Kratos wouldn't have that slow process of fast travel if loading wasn't as big of an issue. Cal in Jedi Fallen Order wouldn't have to squeeze through a gap every five minutes if the devs can assume everyone is on an SSD.
Right right! I would imagine by next-gen we can say goodbye to those pesky hidden loading screens regardless of console 🤣

Oct 25, 2017
After a entire evening of TF numbers and which console would be strongest, this morning Jason Schreier comes on and says something like "TF's are a bad way to determine who will have a console advantage this gen, because of other things like the CPU,Ram, and storage solution i.e SSD that would truly matter this gen when it comes to next gen games."

I have overwhelming feeling now we will end the night still talking about TF numbers and which console is more powerful.

SMH
It is pretty amazing but it isn't surprising whatsoever. Jason acknowledged that there are other variables at play that we aren't even considering but it doesn't matter here. It will just get talked down and hand waved. It is all about a TF number. Which is the ultimate indicator of "power" apparently.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Now i don't particularly remember but given that the PS4 was slightly more powerful than the Xbox One by a negligible margin (think like 0.6tf difference) did any of them push the 'more powerful' narrative in there marketing like the Xbox One X does or did they ignore the power difference in the marketing?

PS4 was considerably more powerful than Xbox One. 50% more Gflops and had a superior memory architecture. It was really easy for Sony to market this difference as games were lower resolution on the XB1. The same goes for Microsoft and XB1X vs PS4 Pro.

I don't think you're going to see this kind of marketing again next gen in purely TFlops form.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Right right! I would imagine by next-gen we can say goodbye to those pesky hidden loading screens regardless of console 🤣

Yeah trust me, I love Horizon, but man when you fast travel across the map, it's slower than shit. It will save all of us time and devs won't have to come up with these believable player actions to trigger hidden loading. At least I hope so.

Aug 26, 2019
Yeah trust me, I love Horizon, but man when you fast travel across the map, it's slower than shit. It will save all of us time and devs won't have to come up with these believable player actions to trigger hidden loading. At least I hope so.
The game that did fast travel right was Spider-Man. The loading scenes in the subway were hilarious. You also rarely fast-traveled because web-swinging was so much fun.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was one of the most annoying thing about Horizon, well besides most of the characters and there personalities.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
PS4 was considerably more powerful than Xbox One. 50% more Gflops and had a superior memory architecture. It was really easy for Sony to market this difference as games were lower resolution on the XB1. The same goes for Microsoft and XB1X vs PS4 Pro.

I don't think you're going to see this kind of marketing again next gen in purely TFlops form.

Half a Tflop back then was crucial to create the difference because the amount was not that high but now even 1-2 Tflops won't make a big difference because the amount is already big enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.