• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
It looks pretty much exactly like a DS4 touch pad though, complete with the cutout to let the LED shine through.
when compared with the DS4 patent, this touchpad pops out a bit more, and there is that line at the top of the pad which isnt exactly clear what is its purpose.
Hard to know production prices on this stuff, but consider that back in, something like 2010 I want to say, we had PCIe cards that had video codec ASICs that worked on a bunch of different compression schemes for something like $40 retail , and that included the chips, boards, a fucking ton of other logic and obviously several rounds of margins. The chip itself was likely peanuts.
awesome, seems like my worry was pretty misplaced then.

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
A screen on a gamepad is a bad idea and this was illustrated nicely by Wii U. Most players don't want to look at their gamepads to see where they need to put their fingers. A touchscreen on a gamepad is disrupting the experience of playing a game by forcing the player to stop looking at the TV and look at the gamepad instead.

Also - DS4 battery life is already bad as it is without any screens.

A couple of things

i) It could be used for OS level stuff only. e.g. when you hold the PS button now, you get the slide over menu for power, friends, music, etc. That could possibly work on the touch screen and not block your main game view.
ii) The DS5 has got improved battery life over the DS4

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
A screen on a gamepad is a bad idea and this was illustrated nicely by Wii U. Most players don't want to look at their gamepads to see where they need to put their fingers. A touchscreen on a gamepad is disrupting the experience of playing a game by forcing the player to stop looking at the TV and look at the gamepad instead.

It's not a screen for gameplay elements, just UI stuff and as I said would be really cool for stuff like music and volume controls or setting your headphone levels etc. It would be off most of the time until you interact with it. I think that is not a terrible idea. It would use very little power in the grand scheme of things, just a chromatic display which is off most of the time.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
My bet. 44 cus and 1600mhz for ps5 at best 1800mhz if Sony is crazy. So between 9 and 10 tflops.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
A couple of things

i) It could be used for OS level stuff only. e.g. when you hold the PS button now, you get the slide over menu for power, friends, music, etc. That could possibly work on the touch screen and not block your main game view.
ii) The DS5 has got improved battery life over the DS4
It's not a screen for gameplay elements, just UI stuff and as I said would be really cool for stuff like music and volume controls or setting your headphone levels etc. It would be off most of the time until you interact with it. I think that is not a terrible idea. It would use very little power in the grand scheme of things, just a chromatic display which is off most of the time.
You don't need a screen on a gamepad for OS level stuff as this is a lot cheaper and straight forward to handle with a system level overlay on your main screen.

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
My bet. 44 cus and 1600mhz for ps5 at best 1800mhz if Sony is crazy. So between 9 and 10 tflops.

I think you're about right. This is going to come down to a slimmer box with less power (PS5) or a big box with more power (Xbox). And I still see a lot of people going for PS5 over Xbox because the box will fit into their entertainment system better. 🙄

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017

In the case of the attachment it is only used to change what the buttons do though so is different.. Also by all accounts the battery use of that kind of screen would be tiny.

A full screen would be stupid but this kind of thing less so

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder why some people think Sony would want the weaker box and not go all out power wise .
The is a company that try for power every gen and i don't see why they would stop now.
At the end of the day both MS or Sony want to say they have the stronger system .

Aug 26, 2019
I really wonder why some people think Sony would want the weaker box and not go all out power wise .
The is a company that try for power every gen and i don't see why they would stop now.
At the end of the day both MS or Sony want to say they have the stronger system .
I could see them going for the weaker box if they wanted to hit that $399 price tag that worked so well for the PS4 (and Pro).

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
People want their preferred console to be the most powerful and will go with whatever rumour/narrative that supports it.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
And not to mention they have PSVR 2 coming and I'm sure the more power PS5 has the better.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
As far as I can remember, every insider has said, that there won't be much of a power difference between both consoles.
Jeff just said it again on the giantbombcast.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
40-44 cus isn't a cheap box it's the same type of box as the ps4, also you're forgetting it will be clocked pretty high and have an more expensive ssd

Where are you getting this idea that the SSD more expensive from .
I see no rumours that say that and being custom don't mean more expensive since everything in these boxing already customize.
If we go by die size no it won't be the same type of box as PS4 for it's time.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I really don't think we should be posting rumors from an unverified user from another forum.

That said, quite interesting!

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Some of y'all getting your wires crossed. I've never said PS5 was more powerful than XBSX. I'm not even sure you can make a direct comparison, given that A) there are still some variables that not everyone knows about yet, and B) there will be differences beyond the GPU that contribute to each console's performance in significant ways, such as the i/o speeds of each SSD. There won't be straight answers as to which console is "more powerful" for a while, if there ever are.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
If the PS5 has fewer CUs and more TF, it's going to be a jet engine and very expensive. It also allows MS to be more powerful, if they wish it so and willing to shell out the cash to up the clocks and deal with lower yields and maybe a louder console.

- Diablo IV (devs said to expect an update in February)
Blizzard had said that they will release a development update video in February, not that they will be presenting anything at any show. It's a misquote some journalists ran with. It doesn't mean Diablo 4 won't be at the PS5 announcement, but we don't know if it will.

I do expect a lot of games at the PS5 announcement. At the PS4 announcement we've got 7 exclusives, I'm sure we will see enough in February.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Some of y'all getting your wires crossed. I've never said PS5 was more powerful than XBSX. I'm not even sure you can make a direct comparison, given that A) there are still some variables that not everyone knows about yet, and B) there will be differences beyond the GPU that contribute to each console's performance in significant ways, such as the i/o speeds of each SSD. There won't be straight answers as to which console is "more powerful" for a while, if there ever are.
I think someone mistakenly mentioned your name instead of Andrew Reiner, it wasnt on purpose or anything.
anyway thanks for the new information :)

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
All we talk about is TF, there is no room for nuance :)

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

aah - potentially permanent ambiguity and or complex blends of features. I can imagine DF rubbing their hands already

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
dont worry, a lot of us never said you did, probably some because there's loads of misinformation going on.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

That was most likely a mistake on there part .
Since the most you said is both aimming for above stadia \ they are close and never said who is stronger .

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Jason's comments now have been very interesting for me, it implies he has been hearing stuff about IO speeds and the main differentiator between the consoles being the SSD.
That was most likely a mistake on there part .
Since the most you said is both aimming for above stadia \ they are close and never said who is stronger .
no i know what comment he was talking about, that user just by accident said jason instead of andrew reiner.

rbej

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Ok? Not sure where that came from, I think your crazy if you think its gonna be under 10tf

No. I say "i believe in own brain and oficiall information, not no-names "trustly" insiders from internet like Klee and others"

If PS5 will be weaker than XSX, this all insiders will be BANED for LIE??. NO.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen anyone say this, but maybe I missed it. What we heard from you is that Sony and MS are targeting higher than 10.7 RDNA TFs.

Status
Not open for further replies.