• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
For what it is worth, hmqgg is on record saying that Dante (current Ana dev kit) was released April 2019.
That's fine. It doesn't provide clarification to the comment I was making though.

He said exactly this:
  1. Retail Anaconda GPU matches Dante.
  2. Not until Dante was released its first version (this month [editor's note - posted in April] actually) and devs made judgement on these devkits. But I still would use the word "aim" since devkits couldn't represent the final version, and MS clearly aims at becoming the Performance Leader.
Feel free to check my work. We also learned that Dante went out en-masse just a few weeks ago. But, to be clear, a few studios had it before then.
Going by hmqgg, retail GPU may match the current version of Dante, but that doesn't mean this GPU was in the first version of the devkit back in April.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
That's fine. It doesn't provide clarification to the comment I was making though.

Going by hmqgg, retail GPU may match the current version of Dante, but that doesn't mean this GPU was in the first version of the devkit back in April.
Thats why I said, "for what it is worth". Both discussion correlate to April 2019, so there is a good chance, but not necessarily fact.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
This isn't adding more buttons, it just allows remapping. There's nothing to be compatible with.

And paddles are a commonly requested feature from what I see (especially for shooters), I much rather have this than having to pay for a 150€+ controller.

It would be nice if DS5 had two buttons like that by default.
It just allows re-mapping on PS4, but that doesn't mean the Playstation/DS4 don't or can't recognize it as another button. For all we know it can get updated via communicating with the PS4 via the DS bluetooth, which could automatically happen when you connect to a PS5.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Wired article from April 2019 mentioned RT support. We don't know the timeline of the devkits. You're implying that devkits from April 2019 have RDNA powered GPUs with RT acceleration - there's no proof of this (that it's true or untrue).
Gonzalo chips were in qualifying stage according to DF and Apisak when they found the second leak in early april. Richard said they are pretty much ready for production. Again, its just a devkit chip. It's still in R&D. Sony and MS are clearly codeveloping their chips right alongside AMD. Do you really believe that AMD only just got RT to work a month before launch? Gonzalo's first cheap was leaked way back in January.

I mean by this logic, if the RT GPUs from AMD release at CES then Sony and MS devs will have 1-2 months to get RT incorporated into their games for the reveals. its utterly ridiculous to expect that the 5700xt has anything to do with the gpu in the PS5 devkit.

Also, Kleegamefan saw a game running on the ps5 devkit with RT around E3.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Gonzalo chips were in qualifying stage according to DF and Apisak when they found the second leak in early april. Richard said they are pretty much ready for production. Again, its just a devkit chip. It's still in R&D. Sony and MS are clearly codeveloping their chips right alongside AMD. Do you really believe that AMD only just got RT to work a month before launch? Gonzalo's first cheap was leaked way back in January.

I mean by this logic, if the RT GPUs from AMD release at CES then Sony and MS devs will have 1-2 months to get RT incorporated into their games for the reveals. its utterly ridiculous to expect that the 5700xt has anything to do with the gpu in the PS5 devkit.

The timeline is perfectly reasonable and grounded.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
wouldnt that have issues with the underside of the motherboard having solder points and a conductive thermal pad? Are there any non-conducting materials that would be good for heat transfer?

I think that's more or less what that patent application is getting at.

Anyway, it's highly speculative. I just took this paragraph from the application:

Unlike the example of the electronic apparatus 1, another heat dissipation device may be disposed on the upper surface of the integrated circuit device 5. As a result, two heat dissipating devices are provided in the integrated circuit device 5, so that the cooling performance can be improved.

Wondered how a chip sandwiched between two heat conductive plates like that, with two attached heatsinks, might look - and wondered if it could fit or make sense of the 'V' design, with it's possibility of 2 distinct airflows. Mixing those two things together is probably the speculative equivalent of 2+2=5, but a fun thought.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
For the record, i rewatched the sony reveal conference and cerny didnt even mention GDDR5 RAM or the tflops count. He said ultra fast unified RAM and supercharged PC when talking about a GPU. I could swear i remember him mentioning the tflops count and the GDDR5 ram but obviously i was hallucinating.

You're not hallucinating, few minutes after dropping the 8GB bomb, Cerny would confirm that it's GDDR5 and he also spoke about GPU computing power being 'nearly 2 TFs'.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Since I'm getting deluged with mentions (yay!) I'll take the time to rewrite what I was trying to say, since my message didn't land the way I intended.

All I was trying to highlight was that you often run with your own strategy you plan out well in advance, you don't just knee jerk react to competitors. That's on me for writing from my phone in public transit though, so I'll completely take the L on that since even on rereading my post has some flaws that I could have better corrected for.

this must be your first time going into a new gen.

It's not, not even close.

The more 'Flawed' product lol. Both of these machines are sounding great. This kinda thinking belongs to console warriors

I didn't mean flawed as in there's something wrong with the product, I mean flawed because every product has weaknesses and you always want to soften those weaknesses and play up your strengths. It was not making a judgement that the Xbox is weaker (I don't know if it is, nor do I care) but rather one of general strategy.

sure. Just 4 reasons Possible? nah

No, I mentioned that there is way more than 4, those were just the 4 I went with because I was trying to highlight some of the reasons, generally the most common ones (in my view) why you'd want to go first. It's not a rule and there are millions of exceptions, I will never deny that :)

What Sony did the with PS4 is also highly accurate to this situation, but even then they didn't do any "reacting" to the competition at the reveal, they reacted at E3 by rehighlighting points of strength. The most you can say they reacted was the whole used games video they did, but that was more a rake Microsoft stepped into, one I can't imagine either side doing this time.

So back to what the point of my original point of my post was supposed to be: Microsoft likely has their strategy laid out and has for awhile, and to me the reasons why they went at the Game Awards was the C I outlined: it made sense to go then to get people who don't pay attention to their brand to start paying attention. And if that was the intention, it worked fantastic.

There are many other reasons, yes, but I feel that the best boon for them was that, followed by getting to lay claim to some of the key marketing buzzwords that'll be used this gen.

None of my points aside from A were to be interpreted as negatives by the way, and even A wasn't really a giant negative. Like I said, every product has "flaws", it's not a bad thing, and companies always want to highlight strengths and play down weaknesses.

I honestly don't care which one ends up with more computational power, that doesn't factor into my purchase decision in the end.

Last edited:

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Both companies know exactly the same, there is no surprise here we already know that both systems are pretty much the same and even if their not..the difference will be so small that you can not even use it as a PR purpose.

Stuff will always get used for marketing even if it don't matter much.
You can already see in this thread how so many care about the most powerful system even if it won't have any effect on games.
If MS has the most powerful system they will say it .
If Sony has the faster loading system even if it a sec longer for MS they will say it.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it was a red flag when he said his laptop ssd took 15 seconds to load up MS office. Customized ssd can mean just adding more slc chace over a standard drive or some work on the controller and doesn't necessarily mean they're putting reram in the PS5. Given their work with fast installs and load times (on PS4) I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and I think their storage solution will be better than Microsoft's.
my work laptop has an ssd and there is clearly something up with Excel. i dont get 15 second load times, but Excel spreadsheets and MS word tabs are very poorly optimised. i get random locks where it just spins and spins for a good 5-10 seconds especially when opening new files while you have existing MS word and Excel windows open.

im pretty sure its a bug rather than a ssd limitation. im guessing he chose that example to stick it to MS lol

i still think he is going with ReRam instead of a super fast and super expensive SSD. Especially if MS is only going with 2GBps. Consoles dont need 4-5GBps when they can save money and go with more storage for the same price.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017

Just to add to this. PS4 Pro had ID Buffer and fp16 in a final spec dev kit in December 2015. Those features I believe didn't appear until Vega dGPUs in August 2017? Granted RT might be a more substantial feature, I don't know TBH.

Dec 8, 2018
First of all you are not calling me out, you are straight out insulting me.

Can you show proof that Colbert got banned for his opinions and not for that twitter meme he linked?

As for you simply skipping parts of the thread look at the post #590

I wouldn't of even replied to you on any of your posts if you actually kept it civil and non vulgar. Instead you posted multiple times cursing at people because they don't have same opinion as you.

Reported for harassment and ignored.

Last edited:

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
Hear, hear.
Honestly, critical thinking cap on here:

Why do you want to announce your thing before the competition does?

A) you have the more "flawed" product, and want to get out ahead of the announcement.

B) you want to claim and occupy some of the marketing terms, such as "super fast load times", that you think the competition will use

C) You think your last product did rather underwhelming on a global scale and The Game Awards was the best place to announce your new one, knowing even that people who do not like your product will be watching.

D) You had planned this from the very beginning to meet criteria A, B, C or criteria not mentioned above.

You always leave room in your messaging to react to competitors, but you don't change the whole project when people are already working off its framework, except for small changes.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Mark cerny once called the ps4 pre release "super charged PC, that will create gains that no PC can " y'all really falling for PR with the SSD comments. Ps5 ssd won't be better than the Kingston or 970 pro, and quiet frankly it doesn't have to be.
That's pretty ironic coming from you.

I was thinking plates with heatpipes, connected to a heat sink on either side.

Sort of like this:

12AlrpH.png

Like these boys:

9TQRSzs.png

Of course it's probably nothing like this, and I guess there are other reasons something like this wouldn't work, but fun to think about. Even if it could work I imagine it would be expensive.

The underside of the PCB almost never needs cooling. Look at all the newer GPUs with back plates, they're not functional. Just a few thermal pads here and there for contact would be beneficial IF those benefits were meaningful. It makes a bit mores sense as the patent suggests top and bottom plates are connected, it's still odd to me unless sony plans on utilizing the bottom of the pcb for something, like ram, for example.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interesting post from b3d by AbsoluteBeginner. Anyone care to chime in about the "smarts" of this design?

I will love it when PS5 is 316mm² with 40CU clocked to hell and back coupled with 256bit bus and fastest chips around for ~530-576GB/s.
Such a smart design that I refuse to believe they are not going with it lol
They could SERIOUSLY undercut MS with that one. Would be PS4Pro vs Xbox One X (only difference in power would be ~15% and not 30%).

Last edited:

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
Since I'm getting deluged with mentions (yay!) I'll take the time to rewrite what I was trying to say, since my message didn't land.

All I was trying to highlight was that you often run with your own strategy you plan out well in advance, you don't just knee jerk react to competitors. That's on me for writing from my phone in public transit though, so I'll completely take the L on that since even on rereading my post has flaws.

It's not, not even close.

I didn't mean flawed as in there's something wrong with the product, I mean flawed because every product has weaknesses and you always want to soften those weaknesses and play up your strengths. It was not making a judgement that the Xbox is weaker (I don't know if it is) but rather one of general strategy.

No, I mentioned that there is way more than 4, those were just the 4 I went with because I was trying to highlight some of the reasons, generally the most common ones (in my view) why you'd want to go first. It's not a rule and there are millions of exceptions, I will never deny that :)

What Sony did the with PS4 is also highly accurate to this situation, but even then they didn't do any "reacting" to the competition at the reveal, they reacted at E3 by rehighlighting points of strength. The most you can say they reacted was the whole used games video they did, but that was more a rake Microsoft stepped into, one I can't imagine either side doing this time.

So back to what the point of my original point of my post was supposed to be: Microsoft likely has their strategy laid out and has for awhile, and to me the reasons why they went at the Game Awards was the C I outlined: it made sense to go then to get people who don't pay attention to their brand to start paying attention. And if that was the intention, it worked fantastic.

There are many other reasons, yes, but I feel that the best boon for them was that, followed by getting to lay claim to some of the key marketing buzzwords that'll be used this gen.

None of my points aside from A were to be interpreted as negatives by the way, and even A wasn't really a giant negative. Like I said, every product has "flaws", it's not a bad thing, and companies always want to highlight strengths and play down weaknesses.

I honestly don't care which one ends up with more computational power, that doesn't factor into my purchase decision in the end.

Given the nature of your work, it was interesting to hear how big corporations form their strategy and push their message knowing pros and cons of their product this early on. Your post was fine, some folks on here are too brittle about their favorite plastic box. So any message with even slightly negative connotation is seen as a personal attack. Just ignore them.

Even I rolled my eyes at that, haha.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
Im a man who generally looks for the simplist explanation to things, so my read on MS announcing at the game awards is that it was an opportune time to start the next gen hype train. Millions of eyes were on the show and it was a great opportunity to snatch the first "wow" moment of what next gen games will look like. To announce a game you need a box so they revealed the bare minimum without revealing too much. Beyond that, it was a chance to give the spotlight to Ninja Theory who have earned the right to be featured on a big stage.

If what I saw from Hellblade 2 is actually indicative of what we are getting with these new systems, I dont care which one is more powerful. Plus or minus TF isn't going to drastically change the landscape.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

The underside of the PCB almost never needs cooling. Look at all the newer GPUs with back plates, they're not functional. Just a few thermal pads here and there for contact would be beneficial IF those benefits were meaningful. It makes a bit mores sense as the patent suggests top and bottom plates are connected, it's still odd to me unless sony plans on utilizing the bottom of the pcb for something, like ram, for example.

I believe the idea in the patent is that you have a type of 'hole' through the pcb conducting heat from the chip on the top side of the pcb to the bottom. An array of these. So the idea is that you could put the heatsink on the bottom of the pcb instead of the top, or indeed, put a heatsink on both sides. Although the application does not suggest just how much heat could be passed from top to bottom in that way... but I presume it would have to be substantial enough to afford the idea of the heatsink going on the bottom side rather than the top. So I'm not sure that's the same as other setups with backplates (?)

Nov 11, 2017
The post review of all this is going to be fun, I wonder who will be the first to discuss where the original baseline of +10tf came from

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I believe the idea in the patent is that you have a type of 'hole' through the pcb conducting heat from the chip on the top side of the pcb to the bottom. An array of these. So the idea is that you could put the heatsink on the bottom of the pcb instead of the top, or indeed, put a heatsink on both sides. Although the application does not suggest just how much heat could be passed from top to bottom in that way... but I presume it would have to be substantial enough to afford the idea of the heatsink going on the bottom side rather than the top. So I'm not sure that's the same as other setups with backplates (?)
Typically we do use "vias" for thermal conductance, that is common. Vias are metal filled holes, often used for ground between layers as well.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017

I mean by this logic, if the RT GPUs from AMD release at CES then Sony and MS devs will have 1-2 months to get RT incorporated into their games for the reveals.

I'm just saying these may be fair assumptions to make, but it's all still anecdotal evidence. This is not something confirmed by Sony/MS. We don't have a properly sourced and vetted article. It is not a fact, and so should not be treated as such. Perhaps you think I'm being dense, I just place a high value on facts.

As far as timelines go, I wouldn't have been surprised if devkits didn't get RT capability till next year (doesn't appear to be the case this time). Look at prior gens. Xbox 360 devkits with x800 GPUs and dual core CPUs in spring 2005. Or Durango Devkits at E3 2013 with Intel and nVidia parts.

its utterly ridiculous to expect that the 5700xt has anything to do with the gpu in the PS5 devkit.
I think the development of the RDNA architecture, which includes the 5700xt, has a lot to do with the RDNA based PS5 GPU. If AMD could've gotten a retain GPU with RT in 2019, I think they would've.

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this will be DS5 compatible.

Maybe not a part of the base DualShock 5 (based on the patents, etc.), but I could see them doing a more premium, integrated paddle solution by having their own version of the Elite for next-gen. I've been wanting something like that for quite a while.

You have to figure they'll do new first party headsets for the 3D audio integration, too. PS5 accessories might end up costing me more than the console, haha.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
This isn't adding more buttons, it just allows remapping. There's nothing to be compatible with.

And paddles are a commonly requested feature from what I see (especially for shooters), I much rather have this than having to pay for a 150€+ controller.

It would be nice if DS5 had two buttons like that by default.
There's already ~$40 paddle attachment. It's been out for over 2 years now IIRC.

Collective Minds Strike Pack F.P.S. Dominator

s-l300.jpg

SgtCaffran

Nov 16, 2019
I still think he is going with ReRam instead of a super fast and super expensive SSD. Especially if MS is only going with 2GBps. Consoles dont need 4-5GBps when they can save money and go with more storage for the same price.
See, I have read multiple posts stating that Sony cannot afford to do both a custom RAM and custom SSD solution because of console cost price. Let me ask the question: why would a custom SSD like described in the patent be expensive?

The memory itself will be very similar to current SSDs and the XsX SSD. The custom solution would be in the hardware controller and software driver. The patent explains that there are two big optmisations possible:

- Focus on read speeds (for consoles write speed is not that important compared to PCs)
- Decompression in the ssd hardware with a custom chip (to reduce load on the CPU)

The costs for this solution would be in R&D, not actual component costs! R&D costs can be divided over every product sold, and looking at the PS4 sales, this means Sony can spend a big sum on R&D due to their enormous sales capacity. So I would state that I fully expect Sony to be able to offer a custom SSD solution for just a slight increase in actual part cost per console.

The underside of the PCB doesn't need cooling, the chip does! So if Sony manages to cool the chip from both the top AND underside, they could in theory double the cooling performance and this would explain how they can achieve the rumored 2GHz in a console. Many posters here scream that 2GHz is impossible to achieve in consoles but that's only because they consider these rumors from their current frame of reference (PS4 and XBO performance/cooling).

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
See, I have read multiple posts stating that Sony cannot afford to do both a custom RAM and custom SSD solution because of console cost price. Let me ask the question: why would a custom SSD like described in the patent be expensive?

The memory itself will be very similar to current SSDs and the XsX SSD. The custom solution would be in the hardware controller and software driver. The patent explains that there are two big optmisations possible:

- Focus on read speeds (for consoles write speed is not that important compared to PCs)
- Decompression in the ssd hardware with a custom chip (to reduce load on the CPU)

The costs for this solution would be in R&D, not actual component costs! R&D costs can be divided over every product sold, and looking at the PS4 sales, this means Sony can spend a big sum on R&D due to their enormous sales capacity. So I would state that I fully expect Sony to be able to offer a custom SSD solution for just a slight increase in actual part cost per console.

Some people think custom mean expensive for some reason .
If they look at the patent and that is what Sony using you see all they doing is making SSD more suited for games.
Nothing that would drive the price up or make it more expensive .
They were even looking for ways to make it cheaper .

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
There's already ~$40 paddle attachment. It's been out for over 2 years now IIRC.

Collective Minds Strike Pack F.P.S. Dominator

s-l300.jpg

Yeah I remember seeing that one when I was looking for something when I played Overwatch. Ended up not getting it because it was more expensive than I liked to import it and I wasn't sure if I would even like it in the first place. Also I never dealt with returning this kind of stuff when buying online so if the quality sucked it would probably be a pain in the ass compared to just returning faulty stuff in stores.

Since this one is from Sony I assume stores will have it and it's considerably cheaper which is great.

senjutsusage

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm just saying these may be fair assumptions to make, but it's all still anecdotal evidence. This is not something confirmed by Sony/MS. We don't have a properly sourced and vetted article. It is not a fact, and so should not be treated as such. Perhaps you think I'm being dense, I just place a high value on facts.

As far as timelines go, I wouldn't have been surprised if devkits didn't get RT capability till next year (doesn't appear to be the case this time). Look at prior gens. Xbox 360 devkits with x800 GPUs and dual core CPUs in spring 2005. Or Durango Devkits at E3 2013 with Intel and nVidia parts.

I think the development of the RDNA architecture, which includes the 5700xt, has a lot to do with the RDNA based PS5 GPU. If AMD could've gotten a retain GPU with RT in 2019, I think they would've.

I feel almost certain they had precisely that, but just knew that then wasn't the time for them to be trying to make that release, especially when they were merely just launching their RDNA mid-range parts, and not their big high end parts yet. They decided to save improvements like hardware RT, VRUS and other architectural enhancements for their next major card launch.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Typically we do use "vias" for thermal conductance, that is common. Vias are metal filled holes, often used for ground between layers as well.

Ah, well if it's common, and not very effective, it would throw a question over the cost-benefit of a scheme like this. There would need to be 'enough' throughput of heat to the other side to make all that worthwhile. I've no idea what could be expected on that front...(or what would be 'enough'). The tipping point could be different in a dev kit too.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

Yes, this is the point. You're not cooling the back of the PCB. You're cooling the backside of the package which has memory die mounted to its underside. There's a physical hole or holes in the PCB you interface to.
Ah, well if it's common, and not very effective, it would throw a question over the cost-benefit of a scheme like this. There would need to be 'enough' throughput of heat to the other side to make all that worthwhile. I've no idea what could be expected on that front...

The patent is open-ended. You could have a single cutout in the board to interface to. Then the packaged part sits over the cutout like a hut/igloo.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, well if it's common, and not very effective, it would throw a question over the cost-benefit of a scheme like this. There would need to be 'enough' throughput of heat to the other side to make all that worthwhile. I've no idea what could be expected on that front...
It's common because without them all the devices would be cooked. It's effective, and necessary, particularly at high frequency.

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
Burnt by rubber coming off the thumbsticks? It's annoying sure, but $4 grips from amazon took care of the problem.
Yeah, that is trash. Also 2 began to stick. My later DS4 never had these problems.

Never had a controller fail on me until DualShock 4. I think I've had 3 or 4 with various problems, both new and old models. Really hope they get the build quality up to snuff for DualShock 5, or offer a premium controller SKU.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking plates with heatpipes, connected to a heat sink on either side.

Sort of like this:

12AlrpH.png

Like these boys:

9TQRSzs.png

Of course it's probably nothing like this, and I guess there are other reasons something like this wouldn't work, but fun to think about. Even if it could work I imagine it would be expensive.
This is crazy. team 14 tflops approves of this post.

One question though. the heatsink is supposed to draw heat away from the apu right? if the bottom of the apu isnt getting hot then why do we need a heat sink for it?

this whole time i was thinking they had some kind of cooler sitting on top of the apu cooling it. i thought thats what a vapor chamber was. if sony is going with heat pipes, are we looking at a noisy console again?

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Idk how I forgot about this PS5 post from Sony.

Confirmed:
  • 8K resolution gaming
  • Custom SSD (ReRAM??)
  • Navi RDNA GPU
  • 8C/16T Zen 2 CPU
The last 2 means one thing 7nm Apu and not 7nm+

So to delivery 12 tflops for the gpu we are looking for more than 250w only on gpu plus if it has a Zen 2 with 8c/16t @3.2ghz plus 48w plus ram, ssd, optic drive, usb.

So a 350w tdp console?

Oct 25, 2017
The main thing Sony has talked about since starting with next gen stuff has been the SSD.

But it is just PR and even if it is as good as they say, it won't make a difference.

Aight chiefs

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
This is crazy. team 14 tflops approves of this post.

One question though. the heatsink is supposed to draw heat away from the apu right? if the bottom of the apu isnt getting hot then why do we need a heat sink for it?

this whole time i was thinking they had some kind of cooler sitting on top of the apu cooling it. i thought thats what a vapor chamber was. if sony is going with heat pipes, are we looking at a noisy console again?
The die is within a package, and the package is surface mounted to the PCB. Typically on the bottom, the largest area will be a thermally conducting sink. At that interface there will be an array of thermally (and electrically) conducting vias or "holes" or pipes that connect that to the heat sink at the bottom. From there, you can have various techniques for heat spreading. To have a sandwich of heat sinks, you need an atypical design, hence the patents.

Status
Not open for further replies.