• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the day Dreams releases?

Sony would never... they would
Feels fitting of sony.
Did the first PS5 article on dreams early access launch
Did the second PS5 article on concrete genies launch

Do the PS Meeting on Dreams full release launch... lol
giphy.gif

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did you see the Cerny Spiderman fly over? The SSD has tremendous gameplay implications. Your speed, dynamism, and ability to massively change a scene is directly tied to how fast you can stream things in.

We've been fighting over this dumb 1 or 2 Teraflop advantage, but if the PS5 has an SSD that is twice as fast-that's not something you brush off.

So how does this play into external drives? Does this mean there will only be proprietary Sony external drives that contain an ssd that's fast enough to support the games?

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So how does this play into external drives? Does this mean there will only be proprietary Sony external drives that contain an ssd that's fast enough to support the games?
It doesn't matter how fast the drive is, USB is not fast enough to support running a game off of it compared to an NVMe drive. They may support using an external drive as storage and transferring a game you want to play to the internal before playing it, but that would be it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
So basically you can develop a city/world with very different textures basically and/or move very fast within a world the greater the speed is? Did I get that right?

Sure - I mean Sony demoed spiderman with spiderman moving through the city super fast because of the SSD.

Ulitmately my point is that a faster SSD allows for more stuff to be accessed in the same amount of time. Its like having a larger pool of virtual memory compared to a slower SSD. How meaningful that will be we don't know, but SSD overall is way more important than just faster loading of levels - it'll be fundamental to the architecture of the new consoles

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's possible there will be an option to add a second SSD to the console. Some type of expansion slot or something. Perhaps something like what's in the new Surface laptops:

It doesn't matter how fast the drive is, USB is not fast enough to support running a game off of it compared to an NVMe drive. They may support using an external drive as storage and transferring a game you want to play to the internal before playing it, but that would be it.
I absolutely think external drives will be supported.

I think for current gen and prior games, there will be the option to run those off the external drive, or bring them to the SSD for enhanced performance. I think external drives will be able to be used for game storage, but next gen games will need to be run from the SSD.

So maybe the SSD have a large pool for game storage for games to remain on the SSD (user determined), then a scratchpad dedicated to when you want to play a game off the external drive, it copies to the SSD then you can play.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Did you see the Cerny Spiderman fly over? The SSD has tremendous gameplay implications. Your speed, dynamism, and ability to massively change a scene is directly tied to how fast you can stream things in.

We've been fighting over this dumb 1 or 2 Teraflop advantage, but if the PS5 has an SSD that is twice as fast-that's not something you brush off.

That is if you tie those improvements solely on the SSD. Which it isn't the case. CPU speed, ram speed and quantity also matters.
And well, twice as fast SSD ? It depends. Transfer speed isn't only about Sequential read. Games are also made of a lot of small files with random accesses. Despite being a PCIe 3.0 NVME SSD, Samsung 970 Pro still beats a lot of PCIe 4.0 NVME SSDs when it comes to random access.

Nos

Oct 27, 2017
Sony could design access to an M.2 slot if they want.

Oct 27, 2017
I remember this argument

Think it was a couple of times with Anthony Hopkins in OT5 or 6?

No idea

quoting myself from a few pages ago

Ok, so if I understand, you get more virtual memory. Will it have a big impact?

I saw it. So apart from faster loading, texture streaming and improved lod, any other benefits?

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Sony could design access to an M.2 slot if they want.
They could, that's not an external drive though (unless they design some proprietary interface/drive). I'd be surprised if either console lets you upgrade the internal storage, especially since MS didn't even let you upgrade the normal HDD in the XB1. And if Sony is using custom SSD tech then you couldn't just buy an off the shelf SSD and I doubt Sony wants to repeat the Vita memory card fiasco.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
That is if you tie those improvements solely on the SSD. Which it isn't the case. CPU speed, ram speed and quantity also matters.
And well, twice as fast SSD ? It depends. Transfer speed isn't only about Sequential read. Games are also made of a lot of small files with random accesses. Despite being a PCIe 3.0 NVME SSD, Samsung 970 Pro still beats a lot of PCIe 4.0 NVME SSDs when it comes to random access.

That is most likely were the software stack will come in .

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't they use something like thunderbolt 3?

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
My question, as it was with Xbox One - why? If you have the headroom for higher clocks - do it. Everyone benefits?
But they didn't have headroom with the xbox one. Look at what that small boost resulted in. A console that was too hot and too loud. My assumption is that the cooling they designed was just on the edge for the original clocks. I refuse to believe it would've been a loud and hot console without the boost.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
In my opinion it would not make much sense to create a server blade only piece of equipment when devs will have to specifically target that hardware regardless. Might as well release it to consumers in a box.

And Tom chiming in about easy to add ssd capacity is fantastic news, I will surely be taking advantage of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.