• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
This is where Shawn is situated in the leadership chart throughout this entire generation - all the way to the point that he was forced out.

325833.jpg
Okay cool! "a" leader. My mistake.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Okay cool! "a" leader. My mistake.

A leader that does not the influence to take the organisation in a direction that he wants as he pleases - because he is equal in position to at least 5-6 other leaders that handle other areas of the SIE business, and answers to the current president Jim Ryan and vice-president John Kodera.

It's entirely possible Shawn was pushed out because he disagreed with Jim's decisions and where Jim wants to take the direction of the business. But the leader that dictates the current direction of SIE is still the same person aka Jim Ryan - and that part hasn't changed.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
So the x2 GPU faster than the One X could mean 12TF even if this is nearer of x2,5 than x2 faster with RDNA conversion ?

Well I think I will keep my R9 280X until the end and switch on console. Thanks to vouchers, I will probably be able to buy next gen at 150€ instead of 499€. Best deal ever !

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
The question is, is Series X using 64CUs or is that just the dev-kit. The Scorpio dev-kit had 44CUs but the final machine had only 40 enabled.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I just meant there will be a 18 month gap between the reveal and when it's in our hands and that claim is now outdated.

But what does that have to do with the point I was making? Which was that unless Cerny was lying, the PS5 SSD will be at least a bit more than 3.5GB/s?

Nobody is saying that his exact words should be taken literally post the release of the newer SSDs, but rather in context of the date.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
A leader that does not the influence to take the organisation in a direction that he wants as he pleases - because he is equal in position to at least 5-6 other leaders that handle other areas of the SIE business, and answers to the current president Jim Ryan and vice-president John Kodera.

It's entirely possible Shawn was pushed out because he disagreed with Jim's decisions and where Jim wants to take the direction of the business. But the leader that dictates the current direction of SIE is still the same person aka Jim Ryan - and that part hasn't changed.
He the leader of a branch of PS, don't be so smart. Have a good day.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
But what does that have to do with the point I was making? Which was that unless Cerny was lying, the PS5 SSD will be at least a bit more than 3.5GB/s?

Nobody is saying that his exact words should be taken literally post the release of the newer SSDs, but rather in context of the date.
Yeah sorry, I misread.
Its possible.

Final active count would be 60. Sony is probably 60 total. 56 active. 5800xt is probably 60 total as well.
Do we know if MS and Sony pay for wafers or per usable chip? They could well go for full chips (64, if is this) from wafers and higher(tighter?) margin on the X knowing they'd recoup elsewhere on Lockhart.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The question is, is Series X using 64CUs or is that just the dev-kit. The Scorpio dev-kit had 44CUs but the final machine had only 40 enabled.

I have a sneaking suspicion the dev kit spec leak is no accurate. It came out when dev kits weren't out for XSX (according to dev kit timing from TW) and the 64 is too wide.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I have a sneaking suspicion the dev kit spec leak is no accurate. It came out when dev kits weren't out for XSX (according to dev kit timing from TW) and the 64 is too wide.
Ana Dev kits have been out for a long time, more than a year, it's just not that everyone had them like they do now.

also updated dev kits went out in late October or early November.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Isn't this precisely why Kleegamefan (edit: hmqgg) said Anaconda matches Dante? Scorpio already matched its dev kit WRT frequency IIRC. It's the CUs that differed as you point out.

IMO, I strongly suspect at least early Anaconda parts that fail binning will be downgraded to Lockhart die.

Last edited:

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
For PS5 at least, they probably overclocked a 2Ghz smaller GPU to try to match a larger GPU with lower clocks that the final console may have, 2Ghz in a Console sounds too much indeed, or Sony are aiming for high clocks to reduce costs, who knows.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I guess that's one interpretation lol.
Multiple reasons:

• PS5 will be backward compatible with at least PS4 and maybe more.
  • The price will be 399$.
  • Sony will release first party PS5 exclusive game from day one.
  • Sony will have a much better first three years for first party games than for PS4.
They will be able to release a console at 399 dollars because Sony will lose more money per consoles at launch than on PS4 but without reaching crazyness like PS3 or PS2(188 dollars lose per console at launch).

EAtFRn5X4AA61zK

Sony financial are much better.

Funny fact May 2018 they gave a forecast for the next three fiscal years until 31 march 2021. They underestimate profit and revenue for FY 18/19.

The forecast shows some profit decline because of PS5 but I suppose the two first years even taking a bigger losses on hardware, Sony will not loss money.

And last hint, the Sony CFO told to shareholder and investor, they are aware hardware price is important but they will pay attention to not lose too much money on hardware side. This not PR talk but the CFO talking in an earning call and when Jim Ryan(PS CEO) told the transition will go as faster than ever same this is not PR talk.

Wanted to leave this here. Good thoughts on PS5 pricing.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
If you assume:
1) cerny was telling the truth about their SSDs being the fastest in the market (at least back in april), so minimum of 3.5/4 GB/s bandwidth
2) windows central is correct about the SSD in Series X having 2GB/s read bandwidth

Then yea it sounds like 2x faster, maybe even higher as we dont have a solid SSD read bandwidth on the PS5.
What Cerny said in the first PS5 wired article is key.
For me, what Cerny said is that the SSD in the console take full advantage of the patent we saw. If some forgot or missed it :
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps...nd-sonys-ssd-customisations-technical.118587/
You can see in the key point what Cerny described.
And remember this patent target 10 Gb/s of data already decoded / decompressed. So this can be way more than 2x speed differences.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ana Dev kits have been out for a long time, more than a year, it's just not that everyone had them like they do now.

also updated dev kits went out in late October or early November.
For PS5 at least, they probably overclocked a 2Ghz smaller GPU to try to match a larger GPU with lower clocks that the final console may have, 2Ghz in a Console sounds too much indeed, or Sony are aiming for high clocks to reduce costs, who knows.

I meant the XBS dev kit leak.

I'm on team 40 CU for PS5 at 2ghz is the target

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I think HBCC is more of a HBM thing & im not sure if RDNA even has it due to it's GDDR6.
HBCC (as in GPU virtual memory) has nothing to do with HBM and RDNA has it for sure albeit it's not exposed in the driver for a user to control as it was on Vega. All modern GPUs have virtual memory support.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
If you assume:
1) cerny was telling the truth about their SSDs being the fastest in the market (at least back in april), so minimum of 3.5/4 GB/s bandwidth
2) windows central is correct about the SSD in Series X having 2GB/s read bandwidth

Then yea it sounds like 2x faster, maybe even higher as we dont have a solid SSD read bandwidth on the PS5.
I think people are too quick to assume speed == max bandwidth. It could also mean low access times. For games that have data spread over thousands of smaller files, low access times would make a way bigger difference than raw bandwidth.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I was speaking on Anaconda, not PS5.

also, PS5 will be on Big Navi, just like XSX, Gen 1has poor thermals at those clocks.

Yep it make no sense for PS5 to be 40CU at 2ghz
It would be cheaper just to go 52CU at 1.6 or something like that .
Talking about cost saving don't mean much when the thermals so high at 40CU.

Grayson

Banned
Aug 21, 2019
I am not downplaying at all. I am asking questions and give arguments that support my doubt of it being a big differentiator. What's your argument?
I've given it twice. You said twice as fast wouldn't make a difference. That's downplaying.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Agree on the model sculpting. I was really impressed by mama, which is the charcter with less clothes that I encounter ATM :
c63943eff02f730872fae1cb54811194aa35c50b.jpg

And I think is skin isn't that bad here.
Maybe it is the light, I don't know. But it is way too plastic to my taste. Look at his arms here :
death-stranding-sam-norman-reedus-uhdpaper.com-4K-42.jpg

Look at GoW skin rendering :
Baldur.jpg

44309285541_4acfff4663_b.jpg

Main difference is texturing, and GoW can get away with using more and higher resolution textures because it's a much more linear game. Skin shaders (sans textures) for DS and HZD are pretty good - dark skin shaders, in special, are easily the best I've ever seen.

EDIT: As an aside, I hope Jeremy Davies will get more voice acting roles in games. Dude's a great actor and was extremely enjoyable as Baldr.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019
Phil Spencer said that the XSX I/O was 40 times the Xbox One

"I/O [input/output] is always an issue. How do we move both memory and bits around? So, we have a 40-times improvement in the I/O speed, [increased] bandwidth for us moving things around on the console [compared to] the past generation. And we've upgraded to GDDR6 memory inside of the box to ensure that the memory itself is able to keep up with the CPU, GPU, and the bandwidth requirements."

Xbox Series X Specs: Twice As Powerful As Xbox One X

Since the average 5400rpm drive (as was in the Xbox One), has throughput of 100mbps, this says, to me, that the SSD in the XSX has transfer rates of roughly 4gb/s, which means PCIE 4, as PCIE 3 caps out at 3.5 gb/s for SSDs. Thoughts?

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

Since the average 5400rpm drive (as was in the Xbox One), has throughput of 100mbps, this says, to me, that the SSD in the XSX has transfer rates of roughly 4gb/s, which means PCIE 4, as PCIE 3 caps out at 3.5 gb/s for SSDs. Thoughts?

It is the throughput in a PC. I think in the two consoles the inerface limited the throughput to 50 MB/s.

Jun 23, 2019
Main difference is texturing, and GoW can get away with using more and higher resolution textures because it's a much more linear game. Skin shaders (sans textures) for DS and HZD are pretty good - dark skin shaders, in special, are easily the best I've ever seen.

EDIT: As an aside, I hope Jeremy Davies will get more voice acting roles in games. Dude's a great actor and was extremely enjoyable as Baldr.

I thought the best models were Die-Hardman, Deadman, Cliff, and Mama personally. Cliff's model is seriously good.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
The other problem is Komachi hasnt reported on anything Gonzalo or Flute related after.... the fiasco.

I doubt he would even mention Sparkman if he knew it was probably Lockhart from the get go.
To my knowledge, hmqgg has never mentioned sparkman, only Arden and Argalus.

Flutter, do you have a link to the "latest" Flute rumors... is it just what Komachi said about that he expected it was PS5?

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018

You're thinking sequential read, if he's talking random reads for smaller blocks at higher queue depth you don't need PCIe4 to be 40 times faster than a 5400rpm hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.