• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozorov

Oct 26, 2017
Man imagine there being no PS meeting in February, we are already standing on the edge.
Klee said feb iirc
If you assume:
1) cerny was telling the truth about their SSDs being the fastest in the market (at least back in april), so minimum of 3.5/4 GB/s bandwidth
2) windows central is correct about the SSD in Series X having 2GB/s read bandwidth

Then yea it sounds like 2x faster, maybe even higher as we dont have a solid SSD read bandwidth on the PS5.
What difference will it make in games? 2gb/s vs 4gb/s?

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Frankly, this is a very dubious speculation.It will be fast, no doubt, but i believe it will be slower then these speeds you mentioned.

Anyway,till we get full specs from Sony and MS all the PR talk from their executives should be taken with a grain of salt.

Cerny explicitly stated it had "a faster raw read speed than any SSD for PCs on the market". At the time the fastest SSDs were 3.5GB/s. There is literally no other way to interpret what he said unless you just think he was lying.

Nice. Finally got to play that game on the Switch. It's a lot of fun, I need to finish it.

Can you imagine a Silent Hill 2 remake on next-gen?

I never played Silent Hill 2, so no. 😁

I would like to go back and try them at some point but I heard the remasters are utter trash.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to the SSD yes loading will be faster but we don't know what else it will bring to the table .
It going to fun to see what the devs do with it in the future and how it effects gameplay and gfx .

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I think depends on the lighting. The skin can look very nice under the right lighting. I do think there is some issue with the way light interacts though, maybe it is the AO. I would say the model sculpting is excellent though.
Agree on the model sculpting. I was really impressed by mama, which is the charcter with less clothes that I encounter ATM :
c63943eff02f730872fae1cb54811194aa35c50b.jpg

And I think is skin isn't that bad here.
Maybe it is the light, I don't know. But it is way too plastic to my taste. Look at his arms here :
death-stranding-sam-norman-reedus-uhdpaper.com-4K-42.jpg

Look at GoW skin rendering :
Baldur.jpg

44309285541_4acfff4663_b.jpg

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agree on the model sculpting. I was really impressed by mama, which is the charcter with less clothes that I encounter ATM :
c63943eff02f730872fae1cb54811194aa35c50b.jpg

And I think is skin isn't that bad here.
Maybe it is the light, I don't know. But it is way too plastic to my taste. Look at his arms here :
death-stranding-sam-norman-reedus-uhdpaper.com-4K-42.jpg

Look at GoW skin rendering :
Baldur.jpg

44309285541_4acfff4663_b.jpg
I agree. Fragile looks great but for the others seems a hit and miss.

Aug 26, 2019

Look at GoW skin rendering
I love GoW and it is my GotG but something about the skin looks slightly off, I'm not sure what. I think it's that everyone's skin looks really dry or something lol. Someone get Kratos some Olay moisturizer

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Frankly, this is a very dubious speculation.It will be fast, no doubt, but i believe it will be slower then these speeds you mentioned.

Anyway,till we get full specs from Sony and MS all the PR talk from their executives should be taken with a grain of salt.
which is why i am saying if he is telling the truth,
Mark Cerny made a very solid claim that is fairly binary, there isnt much of a gray area.
He specifically said faster than any SSD on the market, and specifically said he was talking about the read bandwidth.

If the PS5's SSD is slower than 3.5GB/s, then he lied, and I will call him out for that, but i dont see why make claims that are non ambiguous if you do not intend of hitting those claims. he could have just said "among the fastest" if it wasnt, which would be a lot safer.

Which is why until we learn otherwise, I trust him, and i think we will have read speeds that exceeds the 5GB/s mark, then again that also means that I think sony will invest some power consumption and cost on that part fo the console comapred to the competition, so I think that this might be what will cause~10% difference in CPU and GPU performance decrease when compared to Series X. Will this gamble on an SSD which is 2~2.5x faster than the competition be worth it in the end? we will see when next gen games are revealed and what first party devs could do with such huge SSD speeds.

Klee said feb iirc

What difference will it make in games? 2gb/s vs 4gb/s?
As I said to VX1, I am not sure what the difference wil lbe between 2GB/s SSD and 4+GB/s SSD , I am sure first party devs could utilize that to create sequences where the scenery changes in an instant which could be very cool in something like the next God of War.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
When it comes to the SSD yes loading will be faster but we don't know what else it will bring to the table .
It going to fun to see what the devs do with it in the future and how it effects gameplay and gfx .
When we talk about SSD benefits, I always think about Sony Santa Monica and GOW being one long continues shot from beginning to end. The amount of work this team had to invest in order to hide loading, swapping cutscene and gameplay models in and out and so on was probably immense. I can only imagine how many times they had to compromise in order to keep it "one-shot". Cory Barlog had probably kissed Cerny on the mouth when he told him PS5 will have an SSD.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
When we talk about SSD benefits, I always think about Sony Santa Monica and GOW being one long continues shot from beginning to end. The amount of work this team had to invest in order to hide loading, swapping cutscene and gameplay models in and out and so on was probably immense. I can only imagine how many times they had to compromise in order to keep it "one-shot". Cory Barlog had probably kissed Cerny on the mouth when he told him PS5 will have an SSD.

Yeah, with that in mind, the sequel to that has incredible potential. Can't wait to be blown away by true next gen experiences.

Kleegamefan - Next Generation Console Information V3
OP
OP
Mecha Meister

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Kleegamefan is a member who has industry roots, and has been verified by ZhugeEX.
The information they have revealed cannot be verified, but I've decided to make this post to house the information regarding the next generation consoles that Kleegamefan has come across.

It would be wise to exercise caution regarding the information they have revealed in this thread, however Kleegamefan appears to be a person who strongly values their credibility.

Perhaps try to take the information with an open mind, and please refrain from being hostile towards them. It's okay to question the validity of the information but keep in mind that they can't really prove any of this stuff as it could get themselves and their sources in trouble, which we don't want to do at all.

Kleegamefan has said some fascinating things that I think people will be interested in reading about, so I have quoted some of their posts below:

I will update this post with new information from Kleegamefan.

The way it was explained to me, and keep in mind this is third hand information, PlayStation 4 BC was always planned but the software engineering needed to get this right took a lot longer than expected.
My personal INTERPRETATION is that SIE planned for their customers to easily migrate from base PS4 platform to future PS platforms (including PRO).

This is during the planning stage before PlayStation 4 launch.

After PS4 launch came the actual development and implementation stage (for BC)and this stage took longer than expected, hence the now late 2020 launch.

So the magic question I have is: once Sony committed to delay the product, did they exploit this extra time to perform any meaningful architectural design changes?

The answer to that question is what I really want to know :(
Wanted to answer some general questions about what I saw.

Game was not shown behind closed doors at e3

Really early

Running on PS5

I didn't see Scarlett so I can't directly compare

Framerate wasn't always smooth....seemed to be in the 20-30fps range

Open world and the scope was unbelievable. Never seen anything like it...far beyond Witcher/BOTW/HZD

Even so, close up details were beyond anything I have seen before

Ray Traced reflections....looks really impressive

Dynamic destructable environments...this game is just WTF

When I asked him about the SSD, he got visably nervous. Didn't want to talk about it at all.

As good as it looks, I get the feeling this isn't a launch game, really early.

That's all I can think of for now.. I should be able to get more information when I go back in October. I will see if I can share anything else at that time.
World detail of The Order 1886+miles long draw distance+fully dynamic world destruction + Ray Traced reflections.

It didn't look very polished like those nVidia/Unreal/Unity demos but at the same time beyond and I could imagine running on an Xbox One X or Pro

So yeah, not like a current game, but not like a GDC demo either. You would have to see it yourself to understand because I can't quite articulate it properly because I can't compare it to anything else.
Just a quick note to say that we were able to verify the poster above as someone who worked in the industry and would be able to access certain levels of information.

That being said, it's near impossible to verify whether the above description is true or not, so please keep in mind that we can't verify whether all the information in each post is correct, just the details i posted above.
Thank you so very much ZhugeEX. I really appreciate it.

To all.

There is no way I can prove to you whether or not I am full of shit or not. All of this information is from memory.

If you don't believe at all, or prefer to take any "insider talk" as take it or leave it rumor, I fully understand and respect that...how could I not?

That said, my personal integrity is a BIG DEAL to me and there are specific reasons for this....

There was a LOT of drama during the early Gamefan days and, without going into too many details, there were a lot of lies spread about me which followed me throughout my career and ultimately led to me removing myself from the gaming industry, which still pains me to this day, decades later.

And because of that, I can neither lie to myself or others. Credibility is so very important because it can be taken away from you in a blink of an eye...

That said there are 3 things vital to me:

My love of my fellow man/women
My love of games
My integrity

In the end, have no fear of "running me off" because no matter what you say or do to me I will still love you all.

I have been a gamer since 1977

You are my people.
So here is the deal.

I specifically asked about general Teraflop performance about Scarlett and PS5.

He said " from what I know, both final console should have double digits TF."

.....keep in mind, this conversation was in late June, after AMD already outlined 5700 and 5700xt were shipping July 7th.....

So then I specifically said."well that would mean greater performance than the new AMD Navi GPUs right?"

....he nodded his head yes!

Now don't shoot me.....I'm just the relay guy... I am not sure how they can ship that much power in a console form factor/price...

Don't @me
Oh forgot to add...all these crazy graphics were on Unreal Engine
That I don't know.....perhaps it was there own plug-in solution...idk...
A long time friend of mine, who is a developer showed me an early next gen game.
I'm just saying compared to GCN, the RDNA architecture is much more efficient per clock but the downside is it yields lower TF numbers.

People will inevitably look at the final numbers and say "well it's not THAT much better than an Xbox One X" and I'm saying that is the wrong way to look at the TF numbers.
IIRC, launch games for both systems are targeted for Holiday 2020

PS5 and Xbox Scarlett will launch together again.....possibly in the same month like last time.
No, actually I didn't. He played me a video of the demo off a USB drive.
No it was real time. It was an internal studio milestone video.
Look guys I don't know what else to say. I saw some cool stuff that I thought I would share. Yes there's some additional sensitive stuff that I can't share as well. There is no way I can yet prove anything yet without getting my source in trouble. You may view that as convenient,. You may not. No need for any hostility. I don't think I deserve that but whatever.

If I disrupted the conversation in any way,I am very sorry..

I am not a liar though....

Update:

The performance difference between the PS5 and Scarlett Part 1

In terms of performance, they are essentially the same
No, they are not that far apart.
Yeah.

Edit: Don't underestimate Microsoft Next-gen. In my opinion, they will have a very compelling gaming solution with Cloud Gaming and Scarlett along with their new studio acquisitions.

Gotta go to work, I will talk later.

PlayStation 5 backwards compatibility

From what I understand, this is actually a big big deal to them and took years to get right.
Yeah. PlayStation 5 was originally planned to come out next month. The software engineering needed to get BC 101% right was not progressing as fast as they needed.

It is my belief that this is one of (but not the only) reasons Sony delayed PlayStation 5 to holiday 2020.

They made this change in 2017.

Impressions of a Next Generation Game targeting PC and Next Generation Consoles
The demo I saw had the very best real time graphics I've ever seen. And what I mean by that is it looked like a real game you can play.

Not some super polished UE4 or Unity technical demo that you would see at gdc.

To me, there was no mistaking this for a current generation on PC or console.

To be clear, in terms of scope, lighting and environment dynamics, RDR2 or TLOU2 aren't even in the same time zone as this.

and yeah, it kinda was like a Shadowfall moment to me in that it seemed totally different from what I've been used to in the previous generation.

Now granted, Framerate was maybe 25 to 30-ish and it was early, early,early. But I actually said out loud WTF when I first saw it.

Hugely impressive.
One thing I found really interesting was the quality of the shadows. I especially noticed there were some approx 2-3ft high bushes. When they were swaying in the wind they were casting moving shadows with fucking PERFECT detail. No shimmering or stairstepping at all.

And I am talking about a bush with maybe 75-100 branches and 100s of leaves on it!
Casting. Perfect.Fucking. Shadows.

Keep in mind this was just a random, whateverthefuck bush!

Also

The overall picture quality was astoundingly solid....like it used some super duper AA.

The game is full 2160p, but again, has no shimmering whatsoever. Just a really solid resolve to the graphics.

I'm sorry I can't articulate all this better but it's really hard to explain for some reason.

Games vs Specs
In the end, I really think that you guys will be way more impressed by the games than the specs.

I was.

The Next Generation game that Klee saw was the biggest open world they had ever seen in terms of scope.

Image Quality

No. It's not quite like CGI, but it way better than current stuff. I so hope that it shows up in a reveal so you can see it.

I've only seen a multiplatform game running on PS5 development hardware. That said, it should look exactly the same on Xbox Scarlett

Yeah. It's in the ballpark of that AC Unity flyover for sure.
The game was running on a Development kit

It was running on Navi-based hardware. So a current for the time PS5 development kit.(June 2019).

The performance difference between the PS5 and Scarlett Part 2
Honestly, and this is the last thing I will say about it, but I think some people are going to be disappointed at how similar PS5 and Scarlett hardware are.

It's my belief ( As in I don't really know) that the biggest division will be Exclusive games, UI and services .
. There are at least two more major revisions coming but I don't know the exact details of what that entails

How this Next Gen game compares to Control on PC with RTX (Ray tracing)

Control doesn't come close

Not much talk of SSD benefits
SSD was transparent enough I didn't notice it.

I will say there was such a huge, huge diverse amount of unique assets that I am guessing it was that way because of the SSD?

I cannot be sure because he absolutely, positively didn't want to talk about the SSD in any way whatsoever.

The performance difference between the PS5 and Scarlett Part 3 - (October 2019) The PS5 is allegedly slightly more powerful than Xbox Scarlet

PlayStation 5 is supposedly slightly more powerful than the Xbox Scarlett.

Slightly.

This is what I was told.

I did not expect this.

Please don't shoot the messenger.

To be fair, Matt predicted Scarlett is more powerful and he is probably more connected than I am, so....

That said, I was told that yes, PS5 is more powerful.

No I can't really elaborate or go into more detail but.....yeah, my friend, who has been making games since the Dreamcast Era, and who is developing software for both Next-gen consoles said PS5 has the edge.

I am about to go to the airport soon. I will talk to you guys later.

New Dev Kits

Well, I had lunch with my friend yesterday.

At any rate, he didn't have much to say, sadly.

He is still slaving away at the game

Just got updated Scarlett dev kits recently and says new PS5 kits are due soon.

He doesn't have the updated Dual Shock 5 yet.

Game is tentatively scheduled to come out on Stadia too! (Personally exited about this)

That makes four platforms so far (PC/Scarlett/PS5/Stadia)

No current generation version planned

He stressed that all the platforms have been easy to develop for, implying they have all the dev kits?

Game still only has a working title and isn't due until 2021

He read my posts on Era which shocked the shit out of me!

I asked him his opinion on how much these next generation consoles will cost and he said he didn't know but he thinks they wont be cheap.

He has not seen a final design of Scarlett or PS5 yet. He expect no one will until next year. I asked him about OX19 and he said "probably not" which makes me sad.

Lastly I asked him which platform is most exciting to him and he said Stadia by a landslide.

That's about all I can think of. Sorry I couldn't get more information....

I tried.

Performance difference between PlayStation 5 and Scarlet (November 2019)

In response to is there a 30% performance difference:
Hell no.

They are virtually the same
They both use Navi-based GPUs and are more powerful and feature rich than a 5700xt

No GCN Teraflop conversion qualifiers needed.
Historically, PlayStation SDKs have more memory but the same performance as retail units. I don't expect Prospero to be any different.

With Microsoft it's a little bit more guesswork. Scorpio SDK was 6.6TF(they had 44 CUs IIRC) but even so, I don't expect major differences there either.

BTW, both APUs have variable rate shading, I don't remember if I mentioned that before. I checked the Threadmark and I didn't see it anywhere
Nah. It's fast, it just seems like Sony's SSD system (hardware /software)might be really, really fast.

That said, don't worry about Scarlett. It's plenty, plenty powerful.
Right now, game performance is better on PS5. I believe that is probably because PS5 development hardware and software are in a more advanced state. I fully expect Scarlett to close that gap once they ship more mature dev kits and software.

Also

It must be said, since software, not hardware, is a traditional Microsoft area of expertise, it's very possible that they could ultimately deliver more advanced DirecX development software in the end allowing games to run better on Scarlett even if the hardware is less capable.

I don't know this to be the case, but the possibility can't be discounted.
There is no double digit performance difference.

Both PS5/Scarlett have double digit performance (I.e. over 10.0TF)

Lockhart
Lockhart is a codename for a rumoured next generation console from Microsoft, its rumoured to be a less powerful alternative to Scarlet, however Microsoft haven't revealed anything other than Scarlet, which they announced at E3 2019. This lead people to believe that it doesn't exist, so discussions about it died down.
Discussions of Lockhart have popped up again, from these discussions, Kleegamefan commented on the matter where he said that he was informed that Lockhart is not a thing.

was specifically told Lockhart is not a thing.

As in, games are not being made for a lower spec Scarlett.

If Tom or anyone else has some credible information that states otherwise, I'm all ears.

There has been more information about Lockhart from other sources: Kotaku - Sources: Microsoft Is Still Planning A Cheaper, Disc-Less Next-Gen Xbox
This was Kleegamefan's response:

(Matt's post for context)
Two SKUs were a thing, and then they were not a thing, and then they were not not a thing, and then this week.

Honestly Matt, I am as surprised as you are.

I was absolutely told games are not being developed for Lockhart!

Something changed for sure. Time to take the L and eat some crow on this.

I'm going to try to find out more about this, though because something has changed recently.

Potential release window and target platforms for the game Kleegamefan saw:

Next-gen only

PC/Scarlett /PS5/Stadia

Xbox Series X could be 12 TF (NAVI)

*wise fwom your gwave*

OMG where are all the Xbox insider evangelicals to clarify all this

NO it's not GCN flops

YES it's Navi flops

Xbox Series X performance is actually slightly ABOVE 12(Navi) TFs

Xbox (Anaconda) Series X eats monsters (Scorpio) for breakfast

The GCN architecture is HISTORY, y'all. MS/Sony only talk in terms of RDNA now

Ay Carumba

Now I'm actually leaving for sure.

I will return to talk about Next gen again after the PS5 reveal.

Buh-bye

PlayStation 5 reveal in February?

In February, there I said it.

Possible Xbox Series X GPU Compute Unit Count? (Retail? Dev Kit?)

Post made in response to GPU clock speed calculation
1475MHz x 4096 stream processors x 2 = 12.083 teraflops

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The next God of War game is something I am sure will hugely benefit from an SSD, in the first game to travel between realms you had to get to a specific point in the map (the realm travel room), open the door with an animation few seconds long, go to the center, click on the travel map which also triggers an animation, then have to spin the map until you find the realm you wish to travel, then select it, then wait for around 15 seconds as the room spins, then light show of travelin the realm, then when that ends you need to wait until the tree branches form a way to get out then open the door again which is another animation.

Basically a ton of masked loading action.

What if in the next game you get an upgrade to the bifrost that lets you travel wherever you are. just select which realm, and kratos will perform one animation, a circle of light gets formed on the ground and expands as assets are getting swapped in a none distracting manner, that would be something that is just not possible today on the scale of games like God of War 2018 ( I know that TF2 has a sequence like that, but its also based on the same environement so its still held back quite a lot by HDDs)

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Kleegamefan is a member who has industry roots, and has been verified by ZhugeEX.
The information they have revealed cannot be verified, but I've decided to make this post to house the information regarding the next generation consoles that Kleegamefan has come across.

It would be wise to exercise caution regarding the information they have revealed in this thread, however Kleegamefan appears to be a person who strongly values their credibility.

Perhaps try to take the information with an open mind, and please refrain from being hostile towards them. It's okay to question the validity of the information but keep in mind that they can't really prove any of this stuff as it could get themselves and their sources in trouble, which we don't want to do at all.

Kleegamefan has said some fascinating things that I think people will be interested in reading about, so I have quoted some of their posts below:

Update:

Games vs Specs

The Next Generation game that Klee saw was the biggest open world they had ever seen in terms of scope.

Image Quality

The performance difference between the PS5 and Scarlett Part 3 - (October 2019) The PS5 is allegedly slightly more powerful than Xbox Scarlet

New Dev Kits

Lockhart
Lockhart is a codename for a rumoured next generation console from Microsoft, its rumoured to be a less powerful alternative to Scarlet, however Microsoft haven't revealed anything other than Scarlet, which they announced at E3 2019. This lead people to believe that it doesn't exist, so discussions about it died down.
Discussions of Lockhart have popped up again, from these discussions, Kleegamefan commented on the matter where he said that he was informed that Lockhart is not a thing.

There has been more information about Lockhart from other sources: Kotaku - Sources: Microsoft Is Still Planning A Cheaper, Disc-Less Next-Gen Xbox

PlayStation 5 reveal in february?

dxQZXYF.gif

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Looking forward to see how it will effect set pieces and other aspects .
Spidey opening took months to do and they had do away with doing other things that way.
SSD will be a god send for IG and should save them and other loads of work to do .

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It may well be that when Cerny gave that talk there were no PCI4 drives on the market. There is now.
I don't think it's going to be some expensive PCIE4 NVME, at this point i think it's a custom drive that compromises write speed to focus on read, which makes sense for a Console, MS however seems to be getting the cheapest NVME they can find at 2gb/s

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I think one thing lost in all this is remember the PS5 won't need the break out box for VR? How does that play into any of the info out right now?

As in, does any VR tech have a trickle down benefit for non VR games? I'm guessing frames per second might be one.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I think one thing lost in all this is remember the PS5 won't need the break out box for VR? How does that play into any of the info out right now?

As in, does any VR tech have a trickle down benefit for non VR games? I'm guessing frames per second might be one.
I don't think this is accurate. At least, not for PSVR 2 which I expect to be wireless and need its own transceiver box. Perhaps PSVR 1 could, but that seems pointless as you'd already have that BOB. Only chance is if PSVR 2 gets 2 versions, one wired.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, with that in mind, the sequel to that has incredible potential. Can't wait to be blown away by true next gen experiences.
On top of having to cut out a bunch of content partly because it would be too much of a hassle on PS4.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's going to be some expensive PCIE4 NVME, at this point i think it's a custom drive that compromises write speed to focus on read, which makes sense for a Console, MS however seems to be getting the cheapest NVME they can find at 2gb/s
Pretty much. Im not expecting PS5 to have ReRam at all too.

What Cerny said in the first PS5 wired article is key.

"The raw read speed is important," Cerny says, "but so are the details of the I/O [input-output] mechanisms and the software stack that we put on top of them.

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
If their intent is to use the SSD as a true caching device, or in HBCC, then you need equal and damn fast both read and write, if it's mostly an evict cache from RAM.
But that's also where ReRAM would perform far better too so /shrug.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
That is irrelevant to what I was saying.
I just meant there will be a 18 month gap between the reveal and when it's in our hands and that claim is now outdated.
RE PCIe4 - it's just the interface that comes with the Zen 2 chipset. They could still run a PCIe3 NVMe drive through it, so I don't believe cost is really a factor?

Yeah, 2GB/s seems a strange figure though plucked from nowhere for Xbox SX though. Obviously there's loads of moving parts in a complete SSD (NAND, cache, controller) and manufacture prices are different from our own, but you can get Corsair MForce for half the price of a WD Black and they both have the same sequential read speed (3.5GB/s).

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017

eh, that would be disappointing if so.

Was expecting 3gb/s or 3'5gb/s minimum

Not that I'm complaining, mind you. The jump from 200mb/s is going to be massive, but still wanted the best they could get

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
If their intent is to use the SSD as a true caching device, or in HBCC, then you need equal and damn fast both read and write, if it's mostly an evict cache from RAM.

The vast majority of the data in play here will be data written once at install time - asset data. When 'evicted' it doesn't need to be written back to disk, it will already be on disk from the install.

The only writes will be user save data and the like. Even in games with heavy user data manipulation, the writes are a one-time thing (per edit) that are often heavily compressed (for network sharing etc). The data involved there would be a tiny sliver compared to what comes off the blu-ray initially, and written far less often than it is read. And, again, once written to the SSD, the eviction process wouldn't rewrite it to disk.. it would just throw it out of RAM in the knowledge that the master copy is already on the SSD.

(I don't think anyone will be doing a naive 'read/write memory pages to disc' sort of setup for run time virtual ram. It would be hugely inefficient vs taking advantage of the knowledge of what data is already on disk. You might see something like the former used for suspending games - just dump what's in memory blindly to disk, in which case write speed would be helpful... but that's not a runtime process, and if a disc is optimised for reads at the expense of writes, you'd presumably gain back on the resume what was lost on the suspend in terms of performance).

Last edited:

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

And y'all were just talking about this, lol. I forgot.
I don't think this is accurate. At least, not for PSVR 2 which I expect to be wireless and need its own transceiver box. Perhaps PSVR 1 could, but that seems pointless as you'd already have that BOB. Only chance is if PSVR 2 gets 2 versions, one wired.

You have a point. So maybe that rumor is dead? It was one of the earliest rumors.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I think HBCC is more of a HBM thing & im not sure if RDNA even has it due to it's GDDR6.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
And y'all were just talking about this, lol. I forgot.

You have a point. So maybe that rumor is dead? It was one of the earliest rumors.
It was dead from the moment it was born IMO. The patents showing transceiver boxes for PSVR 2 already existed then, and their head of VR last year gave a talk about the importance of wireless. One of the biggest reasons I doubted RuthenicCookie's comprehensive trustworthiness.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018

Update:

Games vs Specs

Image Quality

New Dev Kits

Lockhart

PlayStation 5 reveal in February?

CluelessGiantAmericantoad-size_restricted.gif

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was dead from the moment it was born IMO. The patents showing transceiver boxes for PSVR 2 already existed then, and their head of VR last year gave a talk about the importance of wireless. One of the biggest reasons I doubted RuthenicCookie's comprehensive trustworthiness.
Huh, i probably missed those posts about those patents.

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
8 maybe 56 - 52 CU makes sense for now.

Correct. No way 64 live. I'm in the 52 camp with higher clocks and dedicated RCC for Ray tracing.

Navi has certain clock speed efficiencies and the trade off doesn't make sense for going 64 wide.

Im about 95 percent sure that "Dante" leak with 64 CU and 1455 is a lie. Hmqqq likely accurate but we haven't actually had the dev kit specs leak yet.

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017

I suspect the breakout box will still be needed for the existing PSVR headset.

Status
Not open for further replies.