• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think VRS will only come into play in darker areas, night time levels and maybe VR games designed around eye ball tracking.

For instance, i dont see how this shot during daytime will get any benefits from VRS. The GPU has to render everything on this screen no matter what.

BabyishLimitedHochstettersfrog-size_restricted.gif
VRS is about the shading rate, not whether something is rendered or not.

Think of it this way, do the textures of objects obscured by other objects need to be rendered at the same resolution as non-obscured objects? No? Then lower down the resolution on the object, thus saving resources.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
Kleegamefan, just one last thing (for now): Has the true specs of PS5 ever been leaked and posted here or none of the configurations posted are true?

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder when amd is dropping new desktop gpus. Kinda regretting buying a 5700xt if they are announcing this soon.

If amd really does have like a monster 80cu part coming that will be interesting to see how runs vs a 2080 ti. It should handily beat it but the question is by how much given nvidia 3000 series is coming too and then the RT comparisons will be very interesting.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
I think VRS will only come into play in darker areas, night time levels and maybe VR games designed around eye ball tracking.

For instance, i dont see how this shot during daytime will get any benefits from VRS. The GPU has to render everything on this screen no matter what.

As I understand it, you could lower the resolution of the objects in the corner of your view, since the are blured anyways.

vrs_grids_car.jpg

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
A wide design to reach 12tf is not a good thing. It's better (in all cases) to reach 12tf with 52CUs than with 64CUs. This has being proven repeatedly with Vega 56/64 benchs.

It's most probably one of the reason games perform better on PS5 devkit. 5-10% tf difference should not be enough on its own to explain a noticeable advantage for PS5.

But I don't see how they would not deactivate CUs for the retail machine. The only reason I see is that they increased Lockhart specs because of dev backlash and PS5 advantage.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if you believe Klee on the 64 CU news then you should also believe his denial of the 40 CU math.

52 CU at ~13.3TF makes sense at this point and with 64 CU offering better performance for RT, it does make it pretty dead even on the GPU front.
Can someone put this in DBZ terms for me?

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A wide design to reach 12tf is not a good thing. It's better (in all cases) to reach 12tf with 52CUs than with 64CUs. This has being proven repeatedly with Vega 56/64 benchs.

It's most probably one of the reason games perform better on PS5 devkit. 5-10% tf difference should not be enough on its own to explain a noticeable advantage for PS5.

But I don't see how they would not deactivate CUs for the retail machine. The only reason I see is that they increased Lockhart specs because of dev backlash and PS5 advantage.
Navi is not Vega, remember this. RDNA is built to scale.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017

The more compute units you have, the better better your ray tracing becomes

64 CU was purposefully done to achieve a higher fidelity ray tracing experience. Microsoft is going all in on that front.

Sony's 52 CU will have advantages elsewhere but it won't be better at ray tracing

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Given the proposed specs of the PS5 do y'all think it's within the realm of possibility that the PSVR2 could utilize dual 4K screens, especially once you factor in foveated rendering?

Since the PSVR doesn't update every year or even every other year like its PC counterparts I'm hoping they aim very high so it it'll be able to compete for many years.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

Looks as good as the Embark demo.

And new TVs announced. CES gonna be great.

You are comparing the shortcomings of GCN to a new architecture. Let's see how big Navi performs we make such declarations.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South

I don't know if Vega is a good comparison point, though. Navi is significantly different from an architecture perspective, with a lot of the things that bottlenecked throughput moved around so they (likely) scale up with logic.

Nov 11, 2017

First of all this is Navi not vega
Second of all having more cus is better for hardware Ray Tracing

These consoles in theory from a GPU perspective would be designed with two different goals

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Given the proposed specs of the PS5 do y'all think it's within the realm of possibility that the PSVR2 could utilize dual 4K screens, especially once you factor in foveated rendering?

Since the PSVR doesn't update every year or even every other year like its PC counterparts I'm hoping they aim very high so it it'll be able to compete for many years.
resolution is far less important than frame rate, getting up to 120fps would be ideal for PSVR2.

Primordialform

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
My first post :)

We've come a long way from 8TF GCN...

Predictions:

Series X:
GPU: 64 CU @ 1600 MHz = 13.1 TF (I think MS will clock it a bit higher than what they have now)
CPU: 8 Zen 2 cores @ 3.6 GHz (cut down cache)
RAM: 16GB GDDR6, 16Gbps chips with a 320 bit bus = 640 GB/s
SSD: 1 TB standard NVMe (2-4 GB/s)

Series E:
GPU: 22 CU @ 1425 MHz = 4.0 TF
CPU: 8 Zen 2 cores @ 3.2 GHz (cut down cache)
RAM: 12 GB GDDR6, 14 Gbps chips with 192 bit bus = 336 GB/s
SSD: 500GB standard NVMe (2-4 GB/s)

PS5:
GPU: 56 CU @ 1800 MHz = 12.9 TF
CPU: 8 Zen 2 cores @ 3.2 GHz (cut down cache)
RAM: 16GB GDDR6, 16Gbps chips with a 320 bit bus = 640 GB/s
SSD: 1TB Custom ultra-fast SSD (6-8 GB/s)

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I feel like that teaser pic makes it look bigger than the 3D model in the link.

But yeah I think they are still gonna have a perception issue that it isn't going to fit in people's media stands even though it will 95% of the time. It's pretty much just 2 one Xs/pros stacked on top of each other but not as long which will easily fit in my stand (and most peoples). If you can fit a receiver you can fit this.

the pro is actually so damn long it barely fits.
they will need to put out promo picks and commercials of it sitting sideways inside of entertainment centers.

imo it's still gonna look kinda wonky and I hope they include little rubber feet for it to sit sideways.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma

is the Vega behaviour really a good metric to extrapolate the scaling of the RDNA2 architecture? I don't think so

Dec 10, 2019
[/QUOTE]
I hate to break news for you all, but no retail console will have an SSD
I hate to break news for you all, but no retail console will have 12TFs

These consoles have been breaking the rules.
Back in 2017 I said next gen consoles have to come with an SSD or they will be dead on arrival. That quite different from something that does not make mathematically sense.

How would the RDNA layout look with 64 active CU in a retail unit?
Shader Engines, Dual CUs, symmetry across Shader Arrays and redundance for yields all have to prevail.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
Care to illuminate why?
It was towards the end of the last OT when he said the XSX is a little above 12TF and its RDNA. Someone said something to the tune of "so the PS5 is 13TF because of the 10% difference". To which someone else replied "that's not what he is saying". Klee then answered "Listened to this man" or something of that nature. This is not verbatim but that was the gist of it. So he has previously said that the difference between the two is not "double digit percent difference". So I am just putting two and two together. Now we know the XSX is 12.083TF and if the PS5 is not up to 13TF but has more flops than the XSX, the the PS5 is somewhere between 12.1TF to 12.9TF.

Anyway that's my take on it and I might be reading it wrong. We will know very soon I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.