• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy_KiD_169

Jun 21, 2018
This thread is going to be fun to look at once everything is revealed about the consoles. It's like the PS4 and Xbox one speculation thread all over again. Lol

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
Godfall dev should be ASHAMED of themselves. That they would have the AUDACITY to reveal their game as the first PS5 title.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Hmm, I seem to recall Dictator noticing some RT when they showed puddles of water and bones midway through the trailer. I need to revisit the video again.

Pretty certain they said with all the post-processing and dof going on, there wasn't any way to tell with Senua. (And Godfall was a guess based on what seemed possible given current reflection implementation.)

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
ItJ7miV.jpg

Option 1, 2, 3 or 4?
MS stated it's cooled by single fan at the top so options with the second fan are a no go.
Vapor chamber is most efficient upside down so not sure how they would go on about that one.

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
Just want to say that I love you, man.

The upcoming gen has me incredibly hyped. Probably the most I've ever been so since the jump from PS to PS2/Xbox.

We've all been conditioned to consoles playing second fiddle to PCs from a cost/performance perspective. I think we all need to take a step back and fully comprehend that this gen is shaping up to be a completely different beast. Which means, these machines are not going to follow the conventional console cost structure. We may very well be looking at hardware that costs significantly more than we're used to. But if the specs being thrown around here (unheard of CU and TF counts), along with all of the confirmed stuff (SSD, RT, 4KBD, Zen CPU, etc)... then we should be happily willing to embrace it.

Bring. It. On.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New IP and even new type of game will always take more time.
But don't forget we will have sequel to Horizon, Spider Man and GoW and they will arrived faster. And I don't think single player games will increase in length this time, so I don't think dev time will increase next gen.
oh i dont disagree. i think they will simply need to invest a lot more into video games. i remember when last gen started ND was a 75 man studio, they had to hire 75 more to ship uncharted 2 and went up to 200 people by the end of the gen. We simply havent seen that kind of growth this gen despite everyone in the sony first party threads telling me SSm, GG and ND are all over 500 devs. every piece of news i read have them at 300 devs at max. SSM was even smaller.

I look at Netflix and see the kind of commitment they made for content creation and thats what sony needs to do now that their profits are higher than they have ever been. $4 billion a year is what netflix invests in new content. you have to spend to get returns. sony needs bigger teams and multiple teams working smartly.

there is this ridiculous 'everyone gets a say' culture in west coast studios that needs to change. Get one director, and have him make the final decisions. Look at kojima made a brand new IP in basically 3 years with a 100 people. i get that its cool that an intern can go up to neil and pitch his idea to have some cool shit no one will notice in the final game, but its a gigantic waste of time. we need to start making games like movies. one director. one vision. everyone else besides the leads in art, game design and graphics is basically a factory worker.

this way you can get a new IP out in 3 years and sequels in 2 years. bigger teams, multiple teams, all driven by one egomaniac. if marvel can make 20 movies in 12 years, anything can be done.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Hmm, I seem to recall Dictator noticing some RT when they showed puddles of water and bones midway through the trailer. I need to revisit the video again.
I do note that you can seemingly see parts of the darkened under part of bone that I would 'assume' SSR at such an angle could not show but literally it is only one tiny thing and not nearly as indicative as God Fall.
And once again, unless they are showing off screen reflections on curved surfaces that are variable glossy, all reflections could just be purposefully placed planar reflections for the purpose of a trailer/ cinematic.

Even games this gen have used planar reflections in cinematics not found in gameplay (Metal Gear Solid V, Death Stranding, Ryse).

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
In comparison, yes. But with no base for comparison, saying it will be "forgotten immediately" is a jab. McDonalds taste bad compared to Burger King, but it doesn't taste "bad" by itself.
I hope a McDonalds fry cook that is pouring their heart and soul into the food doesn't read this.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
oh i dont disagree. i think they will simply need to invest a lot more into video games. i remember when last gen started ND was a 75 man studio, they had to hire 75 more to ship uncharted 2 and went up to 200 people by the end of the gen. We simply havent seen that kind of growth this gen despite everyone in the sony first party threads telling me SSm, GG and ND are all over 500 devs. every piece of news i read have them at 300 devs at max. SSM was even smaller.

I look at Netflix and see the kind of commitment they made for content creation and thats what sony needs to do now that their profits are higher than they have ever been. $4 billion a year is what netflix invests in new content. you have to spend to get returns. sony needs bigger teams and multiple teams working smartly.

there is this ridiculous 'everyone gets a say' culture in west coast studios that needs to change. Get one director, and have him make the final decisions. Look at kojima made a brand new IP in basically 3 years with a 100 people. i get that its cool that an intern can go up to neil and pitch his idea to have some cool shit no one will notice in the final game, but its a gigantic waste of time. we need to start making games like movies. one director. one vision. everyone else besides the leads in art, game design and graphics is basically a factory worker.

this way you can get a new IP out in 3 years and sequels in 2 years. bigger teams, multiple teams, all driven by one egomaniac. if marvel can make 20 movies in 12 years, anything can be done.

ND is 350 plus and GG hit 300.
Still AegonSnake don't forget that team size don't tell the full picture any more.
Since there so much out sourcing done now.
In fact Sony set up a new assets studio up to the other day .

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
In comparison, yes. But with no base for comparison, saying it will be "forgotten immediately" is a jab. McDonalds taste bad compared to Burger King, but it doesn't taste "bad" by itself.

Also, aren't you the guy saying From shouldn't exist? Lmao

Referencing McDonald's and BK as a proxy for graphics comparisons? Fine if you are comparing Atari and Amstrad visuals perhaps, and how they hold up to today's crop.

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
Yes and tried to push a narrative that the PS5 was exactly 15% weaker than the Xbox twisting Matt's words where he talked about them being within 15% of each other disregarding what every other "insider" have said as well as many other very questionable things to make his favorite console maker sound stronger it would seem.

Topping it off with posting a pure console warrior tweet that had nothing to do with what Phil said or had anything to do with this thread for the lulz.

Very strange he got banned right?

You don't want to know...
Why are you falsely attacking another member and stating how he was twisting someones words? Have you read his and other peoples reply to you as to what Matt said previously? And according to Klee and other insiders the numbers have been known well before Matt stated that he'd give a nod to MS for the power edge.

As far as I see he posted Spencers tweet that included someones reply under, how come people who posted PS5 as vacuum cleaner or xbox as trash can didn't get banned?

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I do note that you can seemingly see parts of the darkened under part of bone that I would 'assume' SSR at such an angle could not show but literally it is only one tiny thing and not nearly as indicative as God Fall.
And once again, unless they are showing off screen reflections on curved surfaces that are variable glossy, all reflections could just be purposefully placed planar reflections for the purpose of a trailer/ cinematic.

Even games this gen have used planar reflections in cinematics not found in gameplay (Metal Gear Solid V, Death Stranding, Ryse).
There was an angle in the trailer where I briefly saw what looked like SSR artifacts but it was so brief it might have been something else. With how controlled that trailer was it's tough to see evidence of RT either way.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
If both consoles achieve the same TFlops, I wonder how Ps5 higher clocks will result in better performance.

I believe the higher the clocks the better the more performing they instead of going bigger and slow?

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France

I just read throught some search GG planned to released (or at least, it is there target) games in 3 years.

Are you refeering to the trailer or the gameplay GIF ?
Death Stranding character models are easily some of the best this gen. Horizon probably has the best quality NPCs I have seen.
The skin is really, really not great, I maintain my statement. And I think character models are better in Uncharted and GoW.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

I would caution anyone trying to follow or emulate the Netflix model as they do not make profit at all. It's why I'm wary of subscription models like PS Now and Gamepass. I think having fully capable second teams at ND and GG would be great, but I'd also say I think if the choice (and I'm not saying it is) is between having fewer higher quality games or more lower quality games (the Netflix model), I'd choose the former.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Godfall was well received, the trailer has around 1.5m views and 90% likes ratio. many people like looter games and this game sounds like right up my alley.

I don't get the negativity around the game in this forum.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ND is 350 plus and GG hit 300.
Still AegonSnake don't forget that team size don't tell the full picture any more.
Since there so much out sourcing done now.
In fact Sony set up a new assets studio up to the other day .
That's great news. But i would argue that it shouldve been done at the start of the gen when literally on day 1 they sold all 1 million units they shipped.

instead we got an entire gen where smaller teams like sucker punch and sony bend took 6-7 years to ship a single game. I like shu and maybe he did fight for more resources behind the scenes, but it was clear to me that those studios needed to be a whole lot bigger from day 1. now they are in a situation where their best studio will be stuck making a ps4 game until may 2020, and sucker punch even later in the summer. we can pretty much ignore these two studios until 2023 if we go by a 3 year cycle.

lets hope, Sony saw this coming an has multiple teams working in both ND and sucker Punch.

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
That's great news. But i would argue that it shouldve been done at the start of the gen when literally on day 1 they sold all 1 million units they shipped.

instead we got an entire gen where smaller teams like sucker punch and sony bend took 6-7 years to ship a single game. I like shu and maybe he did fight for more resources behind the scenes, but it was clear to me that those studios needed to be a whole lot bigger from day 1. now they are in a situation where their best studio will be stuck making a ps4 game until may 2020, and sucker punch even later in the summer. we can pretty much ignore these two studios until 2023 if we go by a 3 year cycle.

lets hope, Sony saw this coming an has multiple teams working in both ND and sucker Punch.
I know ND has previously confirmed they have have multiple teams working on separate projects and I'm fairly certain SP has said the same in the past as well.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Godfall was well received, the trailer has around 1.5m views and 90% likes ratio. many people like looter games and this game sounds like right up my alley.

I don't get the negativity around the game in this forum.

If Hellblade wasn't at the show, there wouldn't be as much negativity. Remember, for a lot of people, graphics are a zero sum game.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Well if a Xbox os PS5 can get to 12 tflops(what i still skeptical like DF guys and will wait for Official specs) I really hope AMD delivery a GPU with 20 tflops and Nvidia a 3080 ti with 22-23 tflops.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Agreed. I think 60 FPS is the baseline for first party next gen.

60fps with Dynamic Resolution will continue to be a thing. If MS wants their first party stuff to be 60, they'll continue to use that. Hard to say how the first games out of the game will push the hardware, but that's been working fine for them this gen.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
There was an angle in the trailer where I briefly saw what looked like SSR artifacts but it was so brief it might have been something else. With how controlled that trailer was it's tough to see evidence of RT either way.
From their website they have been recruiting developers with experience in RT.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I just want to level set everyone here. Nearly two years ago we were talking about how Vega was dogshit power wise and scaled poorly at 64 CUs. RAM prices were through the roof, and most people were saying SSDs were cost prohibitive. People were saying 10TF was optimistic, and that Navi was just another GCN iteration.

Since then, Navi was unveiled to be 25% faster clock for clock than Vega, and nearly as good as Pascal. The drawbacks: no VRS, no RT, and the power efficiency missed the mark. We now know that MS has added the two key missing features there, and appears willing to accept the power hit, making it somewhat inconsequential when comparing to previous gens. We are talking 12TF and 10TF is the min.

Memory and NAND prices have relaxed and we've confirmed SSDs on par or better than some class leading NVMe drives.

HDMI and all its best features have also been confirmed.

We're in the good timeline.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I wonder why they didn't show the gif. For the reveal trailer, I think most of us were expecting a Shadow Fall moment but what we got was a Knack moment.

I remember Shadow Fall's trailer and initial gameplay, there were some very poor animations (which when you put it in context of GG's previous games and Horizon is surprising). Particularly one stands out where a soldier walks down some stairs and it was like it was jumping between two static states without any sort of bridge state. Essentially it looked like a robot.

Aug 26, 2019
I remember Shadow Fall's trailer and initial gameplay, there were some very poor animations (which when you put it in context of GG's previous games and Horizon is surprising). Particularly one stands out where a soldier walks down some stairs and it was like it was jumping between two static states without any sort of bridge state. Essentially it looked like a robot.
They fixed that for the final game. I remember it too.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Just Imagine what top tier, experienced developers will be able to do on these machines!

The Coalition
Naughty Dog
R*
Capcom
Playground Games
FromSoftware
Guerrilla Games
343 Studios
Polyphony Digital
Rare
Edit:Sony Santa Monica(ha)
Insomniac(double ha)

I can't wait.

Last edited:

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I know ND has previously confirmed they have have multiple teams working on separate projects and I'm fairly certain SP has said the same in the past as well.

Think he talking about 2 full teams which they don't have .
Most Sony WWS have a smaller team while the others work on the main game.

I just want to level set everyone here. Nearly two years ago we were talking about how Vega was dogshit power wise and scaled poorly at 64 CUs. RAM prices were through the roof, and most people were saying SSDs were cost prohibitive. People were saying 10TF was optimistic, and that Navi was just another GCN iteration.

Since then, Navi was unveiled to be 25% faster clock for clock than Vega, and nearly as good as Pascal. The drawbacks: no VRS, no RT, and the power efficiency missed the mark. We now know that MS has added the two key missing features there, and appears willing to accept the power hit, making it somewhat inconsequential when comparing to previous gens. We are talking 12TF and 10TF is the min.

Memory and NAND prices have relaxed and we've confirmed SSDs on par or better than some class leading NVMe drives.

HDMI and all its best features have also been confirmed.

We're in the good timeline.

All we missing is the ram and bandwidth numbers.
What numbers you think would give up the best timeline.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
Pretty certain they said with all the post-processing and dof going on, there wasn't any way to tell with Senua. (And Godfall was a guess based on what seemed possible given current reflection implementation.)

Yeah, I re-watched their video and you're correct.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, much appreciated :)

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Just Imagine what top tier, experienced developers will be able to do on these machines!

The Coalition
Naughty Dog
R*
Capcom
Playground Games
FromSoftware
Guerrilla Games
343 Studios
Polyphony Digital
Rare

I can't wait.
Team Ninja am cry.
Think he talking about 2 full teams which they don't have .
Most Sony WWS have a smaller team while the others work on the main game.

All we missing is the ram and bandwidth numbers.
What numbers you think would give up the best timeline.
Anything that meets or exceeds 5700 XT GB/s/FLOPs. Should be easy to meet.

Status
Not open for further replies.