• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I always made it clear that I don't have any questionable "inside" stories to share but rather focus on what the team is going for. Not more. Not less. What one makes out of that is not up to me. If someone doesn't see the value in that and wants instead focus on binary information only - that's fine as well, just move on then.

I have no reason to believe the Xbox hardware team will not achieve their set target. Especially when we have an official statement by the Head of Xbox stating that as recent as 3 days ago. The whole marketing only underlines that (Power your dreams, "Fastest. Most powerful."). Power is the foundation why Series X exists.
Thanks for explaining. Just to clarify I'm not saying that there is no value in it but that it gets put it in the right context.

But if i did make you feel that i was questioning and doubting you, I'm sorry i didn't mean it like that. I just wanted to know the context of it.

Dec 8, 2018
I think I always made it clear that I don't have any questionable "inside" stories to share but rather focus on what the team is going for. And exactly that received confirmation 3 days ago. Not more. Not less. What one makes out of that is not up to me. If someone doesn't see the value in that and wants instead focus on binary information only - that's fine as well, just move on then.

I have no reason to believe the Xbox hardware team will not achieve their set target. Especially when we have an official statement by the Head of Xbox stating that as recent as 3 days ago. The whole marketing only underlines that (Power your dreams, "Fastest. Most powerful."). Power is the foundation why Series X exists.

I only tried to explain what I think the other poster was asking (and by his later post I think I was correct).

The problem I think he had with what you said is that people hear and all across the internet will take the words you and other claimed insiders post and twist them whatever way it fits what narrative they want.

You telling us and explaining like you now did won't leave any question marks on why you said you thought the end result compared to Klee will be different.

Believe me if you would not have made it clear people would say you talked to other developers and made up shit and not what you now explained.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I only tried to explain what I think the other poster was asking (and by his later post I think I was correct).

The problem I think he had with what you said is that people hear and all across the internet will take the words you and other claimed insiders post and twist them whatever way it fits what narrative they want.

You telling us and explaining like you now did won't leave any question marks on why you said you thought the end result compared to Klee will be different.

Believe me if you would not have made it clear people would say you talked to other developers and made up shit and not what you now explained.
Again saying it far better than i can!

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
NEW/POSSIBLY FINAL PREDICTIONS

PS5:
8c/16t Zen 2 CPU @ 3.2 GHz w/ 8MB L3 cache
11.98 TF GPU (52 active CUs @ 1.8 GHz)
16 GB GDDR6 available to devs (18GB total) @ 18 Gbps on a 288-bit memory bus
1 TB SSD @ 2.5 GB/s
$500 (with a $100+ loss)

Series X:
8c/16t Zen 2 CPU @ 3.6 GHz w/ 8MB cache
12.288 TF+ GPU (60 active CUs @ 1.6 GHz)
13 GB GDDR6 available to devs (16GB total) @ 18 Gbps on a 256-bit memory bus
1TB SSD @ 1 GB/s
$500 (with a $100+ loss)

Series S:
8c/16t Zen 2 CPU @ 3.4 GHz w/ 8MB cache
4.096 TF GPU (20 active CUs @ 1.6GHz)
9 GB GDDR6 available to devs (12GB Total) @ 16 Gbps on a 192-bit memory bus
512 GB SSD @ 1 GB/s
$300 (with a $75 loss)
Are we ignoring the 320-bit bus (10 chips) we saw in the Scarlett E3 CGI video?

I am always a bit cautious when it comes to these "in engine" reveals because while the games often comes close (especially in the later part of the gen) it's not often they actually hit that target especially in the beginning of the gen.

This is a good example of what I mean. Uncharted sure came close to that render and games now in the later parts might rival it but it still feels like they were aiming a bit high.

But regardless if we get the same amount of "downgrade" as that this gen it will still look stupidly good.

The U4 trailer wasn't real-time, it took the PS4 500ms per frame. Hellblade 2 is real-time, even though it's probably not representative of how real in-game gameplay looks like.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
The CGI video also had a tech working on a blue board that couldn't possibly fit inside the case they've shown. Not sure it's the most reliable source of info.

I was just about to say the same thing. I just went back to look and was like "yeah, those wouldn't fit in that case"

I would agree but also point out that the dev kit does not need to match dimensions to the consumer SKU.

Fair point

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
After reading around a bit I'm actually with Digital Foundry and Alex on this: Microsoft hasn't given out an exact TF number, they've only said that it's "2X of Xbox One X" which you may interpret either as 6x2=12 TF or as "twice as fast in gaming".

The second option would obviously lead to a lower TF figure as we're comparing GCN with RDNA and the latter is a lot more efficient and will likely reach this "2X" level at ~10 TF.

~10 TF also seems a lot likely for a Navi 10 level GPU within console TDP and ties nicely with what we've heard about Scarlett and PS5 previously.

Do you think Microsoft would have choose this form factor within current gen console TDP? the Xbox Series X TDP will probably be between 250 and 300 Wats.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
The CGI video also had a tech working on a blue board that couldn't possibly fit inside the case they've shown. Not sure it's the most reliable source of info.
It might fit the PC like dev-kit, who knows. The Scorpio video was very accurate, in the Scarlett video they've shown us 320-bit bus with mixed 2GB and 1GB 14Gbps GDDR6 chips. Mixed chips you can replace, 14Gbps can be replaced with faster GDDR6 but the bus is unchangeable at this point - it's part of the silicon.

I wouldn't assume that they've lied in the CGI video, especially considering the fact that both consoles have been silicon locked before MS had shown it, so it's not something Sony can react to anyway.

Straffaren666

Mar 13, 2018
They have said 2x GPU power of a 1X. GPU computational power is of course measured in FLOPs. Phil is well aware of this, same as everyone here. Discussing relative performance instead of comp power is not what they are doing.

I get the impression Phil is talking about the general GPU power, not the computational GPU power. I find it unlikely that he would choose to use a metric that is less relevant and compares unfavourably to the Scarlett architecture. If Scarlett was ~12TF, it seems a lot more likely MS would base their marketing figures around 2.5x x1x and 10x x1, which also are a lot more relevant.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
That's what some people called themselves for saying 8TF. I don't think they are pessimists. Just going by how they referred to themselves.
We've referred to ourselves are "realists", It's Colbert that likes calling himself a pessimist :)

Now, for something completely different. I like to present my favorite part of the Hellblade 2 video - Senua's backlite loose strands of hair:
hv6CAN7.jpg

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
We've referred to ourselves are "realists", It's Colbert that likes calling himself a pessimist :)

Now, for something completely different. I like to present my favorite part of the Hellblade 2 video - Senua's backlite loose strands of hair:
hv6CAN7.jpg
I didn't notice that before. Realistic hair is one of the big things remaining for our uncanny valley journey.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care about exact specs, but from a more abstract view:

- approx 5700XT with additional features from RDNA2 like VRS, RT to provide new capabilities and further efficiencies
- Fast SSD around 2+GB/s with custom controller support so real world transfer speeds are high
- enough RAM to combine with the fast SSD and not create a bottleneck for developers across most game engine types - using platform tools to profile they should have the data to back this up. The SSD will be such a game changer it'll be hard to understand if XGB is enough or not
- fast enough bus to not choke when you're feeding the fatter CPU and the GPU can still do its thing well.
- Fast CPU - 8c/16t sounds great. Don't give too much to the OS. Maybe just hand over half the SMT threads as they're less predictable than main threads
- 16x Anisotropic filtering would be nice

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Are we ignoring the 320-bit bus (10 chips) we saw in the Scarlett E3 CGI video?

The U4 trailer wasn't real-time, it took the PS4 500ms per frame. Hellblade 2 is real-time, even though it's probably not representative of how real in-game gameplay looks like.

Hellblade 2 Is real time confirmed?
Ah well, people were saying Killzone 2 and motorstorm were. Means nothing at this point.

Hana-Bi

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I get the impression Phil is talking about the general GPU power, not the computational GPU power. I find it unlikely that he would choose to use a metric that is less relevant and compares unfavourably to the Scarlett architecture. If Scarlett was ~12TF, it seems a lot more likely MS would base their marketing figures around 2.5x x1x and 10x x1, which also are a lot more relevant.
Phil did it with the 1X too. I think he made the 1X weaker in comparison than it really was.

He said it himself. Just doing the math it's twice the power of the 1X. Doubling the TFLOPS is easy maths. Considering every performance gain (and there are many more than just the GCN to RDNA gains like RT, VRS, etc.) you can probaly go to more than x3 factors. But how could we measure that with simple "math"?

For me it's crystal clear that he meant 12 TFLOPS RDNA with his comment.

useyourloaf

Oct 31, 2017
Has there been any discussion that the 12TF number could be derived from a ~10TF general purpose GPU + ~2TF raytracing performance?

We know there is dedicated RT hardware and surely no marketer would ignore that part of the GPU when talking about "power".

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Some dude on instagram with 745k followers took my PS5 mockup renders and posted them with his name watermarked on it, no mention of my screenname..

Proof that it's mine just because I feel like i have to prove myself now.
YzVtOut.png

Sorry just annoyed.
I would be too.

You did an amazing job with them. If the PS5 winds up looking like it...either you knew!!!

Or Sony will owe you some money/needs to hire you.

Last edited:

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017

hv6CAN7.jpg

Didn't realy notice it before, thats kinda impressive. I did however notice the "bad" hair in the Godfall trailer, but that might be a artistic choice.

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
It just hit me. Aren't we supposed to get PlayStation Experience around this time of the year?
Or did Sony skip this altogether just like they skipped E3 2019?

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Hellblade 2 Is real time confirmed?
Ah well, people were saying Killzone 2 and motorstorm were. Means nothing at this point.
Gamespot said it was confirmed to them:
However, in our exclusive chat with Phil Spencer, we learned this footage was in-engine and running in real-time

So it's not KZ2 or Motorstorm (which were CGI) or U4 (which wasn't real-time), just take it as a tech demo built to show off hardware and engine, like the Samaritan demo.
They honestly look improperly sorted though wrt to the DOF. Her are in focus, while all fringe hair is not (hence why they are blown out to white?).
Isn't that just the backlighting?

BTW, DOF does break at a certain point of the trailer, look at the group of hair blow her left ear (our left), you can see characters in focus though it while the rest of the scene is heavily blurred:

Straffaren666

Mar 13, 2018
Phil did it with the 1X too. I think he made the 1X weaker in comparison than it really was.

He said it himself. Just doing the math it's twice the power of the 1X. Doubling the TFLOPS is easy maths. Considering every performance gain (and there are many more than just the GCN to RDNA gains like RT, VRS, etc.) you can probaly go to more than x3 factors. But how could we measure that with simple "math"?

For me it's crystal clear that he meant 12 TFLOPS RDNA with his comment.

Wouldn't it then have been easier to say Scarlet is 12TF+, just like he did say 1x was 6TF+ when he announced it at E3 2016?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Gamespot said it was confirmed to them:
However, in our exclusive chat with Phil Spencer, we learned this footage was in-engine and running in real-time

So it's not KZ2 or Motorstorm (which were CGI) or U4 (which wasn't real-time), just take it as a tech demo built to show off hardware and engine, like the Samaritan demo.

Isn't that just the backlighting?
As she breathes you can see the hair resolving more - I do not think that is right.

BTW, DOF does break at a certain point of the trailer, look at the group of hair blow her left ear (our left), you can see characters in focus though it while the rest of the scene is heavily blurred:

Yeah you can also see how the DOF leaves rings around the severed hands as well. All rasterisation /masking errors.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
We might need more info on Big Navi to get an get idea about the true tflops of these consoles, If Big Navi is actually reaching 20 TF's at the high end, then 12/13 ttflops navi sounds pretty realistic, at this point it's fine to be conservative with estimates.
I personally believe 5700 XT is truly an over priced mid range GPU & expect consoles to do better, but who knows for now.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
As she breathes you can see the hair resolving more - I do not think that is right.

Yeah you can also see how the DOF leaves rings around the severed hands as well. All rasterisation /masking errors.
I didn't notice that before. I was so impressed by the DOF, I thought they were using RT DOF, but I guess not :)

BTW, did MS provide you guys with a better version of the video, or the (hopefully) soon to come analysis will be based on the Youtube version?

We might need more info on Big Navi to get an get idea about the true tflops of these consoles, If Big Navi is actually reaching 20 TF's at the high end, then 12/13 ttflops navi sounds pretty realistic, at this point it's fine to be conservative with estimates.
I personally believe 5700 XT is truly an over priced mid range GPU & expect consoles to do better, but who knows for now.
What we really need is to see a bigger Navi based on RDNA 2 that can show us thermals and consumption so we can make new realistic assumptions :)

Hana-Bi

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Wouldn't it then have been easier to say Scarlet is 12TF+, just like he did say 1x was 6TF+ when he announced it at E3 2016?
Maybe he likes the confusion right now and grabs some popcorn while reading his thread. :)

Edit: I think they are waiting for a full specs reveal. There are many more interesting details completly missing right now (SSD and RAM speed and size) that the final TFLOPS number isn't that important.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
The specs are not locked yet and they're probably in NDA with AMD ( RDNA2 features ).
2X over One X is 12TF, they said they're using next generation RDNA graphics.
This whole RDNA / GCN doesn't make any sense.
The specs aren't locked? Then what is my mans Phil playing with at home?

Nov 2, 2017
The specs are not locked yet and they're probably in NDA with AMD ( RDNA2 features ).
2X over One X is 12TF, they said they're using next generation RDNA graphics.
This whole RDNA / GCN doesn't make any sense.
The 2X can refer to something other than Tflops though. I'd say that for a console GPU it's pretty irrelevant how many floating point operations it can do per second. I'd argue that a better metric is how many frames per second it can render in a certain setting.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
What are people's thoughts on MS/Sony ditching the SMT on the APU to help with temps? An 8 core Zen 2 would still be a major bit of CPU without the SMT.

Status
Not open for further replies.