• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
What do you think about an E3 Slim reveal with price cut?

More plausible and likely. Can be a start of the show announcement that everyone quickly moves past. I believe we saw this in the first E3 for the PS4 after reveal, a short burst of PS3/Vita then onto the new stuff. That kind of strategy makes sense.

Like I said, the key to me is that you always want the last things in your conference to be the things people walk away with, thats why the "megatons" tend to happen there. They also (more rare) happen at the beginning if you want to set the pace for your entire conference. A great example of this is the God of War reveal.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
True, actually wonder if marketing those three high profile games for the current best selling console and marketing their upcoming next gen console will collide with one another? Then again i could see them quickly announcing the PS5 in say Febraury, then focusing the first half of 2020 on those three games till E3, then full steam ahead on marketing the PS5.
I think you beat the drum that you discs you buy will be playable on PS5 on day one, with save transfers, and an exclusive skin/cosmetic for people who booted the game on PS4.

The Cameo

Apr 26, 2018
If there's a PS4 double-slim, it would probably get announced at E3 in the PS4 portion of the presentation, either as the first thing they talk about or the last thing before moving onto the PS5 section. I'd assume that it would be the first thing, with Jim Ryan talking about Gamescom 2013 and being there talking about the start of this generation, where they are now, and how there's still a fair amount of stuff coming for "the second-most popular home console in history", which people will be able to get easier than ever as he announces a price drop to $229/$199 and they show this revised shell for it that's either like a "flattened" current slim or looks like an "alternate" shell for the PS5, assuming they show the PS5's shell at the official announcement months before. Those sorts of pressers are like the only time those sorts of announcements usually make sense - it's always either going to be that, or just putting up a blog post and sending out a press release.

I say they'd probably start with it because if they close the PS4 section with Tsushima they're going to announce a Pro bundle for it.

The PS Meetings are, without fail, about one sole product whenever they hold them. They did a PS Meeting for the Vita, for the PS4, and for the Pro (I sorta guess they did a tiny GDC one for the PSVR, too... I guess). At no point do they go "oh and we have something for the [previous gen/handheld product] too!", it's to hammer in what the new product is and what it does and how games look on it and yadda yadda yadda.

Honestly, I always find trying to guess the logistics of the announcing of this shit fun. Who will show up as a "regarded partner" (besides whoever's at the head of Gearbox Publishing or whoever's running Counterplay, as I imagine Godfall will be in the Meeting)? How will they try to create a sales pitch out of what they've already talked about? How do you show off the haptic feedback stuff for the controller? How many minutes do they give Mark Cerny to talk to us about the new system? Which first parties actually have a thing to show in time for the meeting? What indies do they lock up for a period of exclusivity? Do they do something crazy like have cross-buy with the Epic Games Store for applicable games to match Microsoft's cross-buy across Windows and Xbox? Do they talk about PlayStation Now? What does Ubisoft bring - "we ported the PC build on Ultra settings to the platform on this almost-out title" or something new? Will some more computationally simplistic indie be shown rendering internally at 8K?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fastest transition doesnt mean $399. they launched the ps4 at $399 so if that didnt have the fastest transition are we dropping down to $299 to hit ps2 numbers? or $249 to BEAT ps2 numbers? of course not.

the only way $399 is happening is if sony has decided to take a $150 loss. its possible but it will come at the expense of specs which i just dont think sony will compromise on.

sony will sell the console at $499 knowing they will sell out their shipment within a few days. thats their fastest transition.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Honestly, I always find trying to guess the logistics of the announcing of this shit fun. Who will show up as a "regarded partner" (besides whoever's at the head of Gearbox Publishing or whoever's running Counterplay, as I imagine Godfall will be in the Meeting)? How will they try to create a sales pitch out of what they've already talked about? How do you show off the haptic feedback stuff for the controller? How many minutes do they give Mark Cerny to talk to us about the new system? Which first parties actually have a thing to show in time for the meeting? What indies do they lock up for a period of exclusivity? Do they do something crazy like have cross-buy with the Epic Games Store for applicable games to match Microsoft's cross-buy across Windows and Xbox? Do they talk about PlayStation Now? What does Ubisoft bring - "we ported the PC build on Ultra settings to the platform on this almost-out title" or something new? Will some more computationally simplistic indie be shown rendering internally at 8K?
You forgot a few interesting questions that I love thinking about:
- What game do you show off first?
- What game do you show off last?
- Do you show the form factor? (Last time, they did not!)
- At what cadence do you do 1st party, third party, and indie? How do you do indie? Do you show smaller indies by having multiple on stage all playing at once and then cut between them? They did that at one point!

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Memes are fun
l3Gjr7k.jpg

Me too, me too! :)

Series-X.png

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
It is possible..I mean, we just got shocked with them doing what they did at the Game Awards. MS is a big wild card because they are making moves that traditionally they don't do...which I believe is needed because of the ass kicking they got from Sony with the PS4.

I do believe however, that both need to spread information in a timely and spread out fashion. Blowing your wad too early and then letting months and months go buy without new information would be a mistake. For example, let's assume that MS stays silent until E3 and Sony has their event in February. For one, the hype and news of PS5 stuff will start early Feb. when Sony sends out invites. Then we have whatever they will show and that news will carry until E3 and we are talking 4-5 months of PS5 buzz with the only MS news was the Game Awards reveal.

Sony and MS imho will need to spread news throughout the year to keep hype and interest up. My prediction is Sony has a event mid-February, MS follows that in mid-March/early April. Then we head into E3. Something else towards September from both of them and then we head into launch window. It looks very similar to what happened in 2013 with the exception of MS doing what they did at the Game Awards.

In the end, as a gamer and enthusiast is already and incredible end of 2019 for Next Gen talk and what MS just did and 2020 is just going to be a roller coaster of information.
I agree with this. I like the unconventional way they're doing it. I don't think anyone expected to see next gen Xbox news, hardware this year.

Next year is going to be fun.

MS is setting the bar with features for next gen, damn the specs. Sony has to match at least 2 that's been revealed so far. I know Sony was probably going to match anyway, but as of right now we just don't know.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
I think you beat the drum that you discs you buy will be playable on PS5 on day one, with save transfers, and an exclusive skin/cosmetic for people who booted the game on PS4.
That's true, actually makes me wonder now if Sony are going to market those 3 games with the PS5 aswell as the PS4, still think it was a missed opportunity to not have a version of Ghost of Tsushima running on the Playstation 5 as a trailer at the Game Awards in full 4K 60fps, that would have been a sight to behold.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
That's true, actually makes me wonder now if Sony are going to market those 3 games with the PS5 aswell as the PS4, still think it was a missed opportunity to not have a version of Ghost of Tsushima running on the Playstation 5 as a trailer at the Game Awards in full 4K 60fps, that would have been a sight to behold.

Honestly, the only one that will require special marketing is Ghost, the rest of their titles will be out or close to out by then. I also think, in the case of Ghost, you can market it as a cross-gen game if need be, since I'm sure they'll have cross-gen marketing ready to go regardless. We already know that there are some games releasing on both, so you already need some way of indicating that.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
They'll still be marketed as PS4 (boxart etc.) but I think they're going to get rid of PS4 in their ads and replace it with plain old "PlayStation" at the end and show all the consoles. It's quite easy.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Honestly, the only one that will require special marketing is Ghost, the rest of their titles will be out or close to out by then. I also think, in the case of Ghost, you can market it as a cross-gen game if need be, since I'm sure they'll have cross-gen marketing ready to go regardless. We already know that there are some games releasing on both, so you already need some way of indicating that.
Honestly a part of me still wishes that Ghosts gets delayed by a couple of months for extra polishing just so they can have it as a launch title for the PS5.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly a part of me still wishes that Ghosts gets delayed by a couple of months for extra polishing just so they can have it as a launch title for the PS5.

I could see a lot of console warriors using that as a reason to whine that the PS5's launch lineup was so weak that they had to prop it up with a PS4 game.

I have confidence that the PS5 launch lineup will be strong enough to stand on its own

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I agree with this. I like the unconventional way they're doing it. I don't think anyone expected to see next gen Xbox news, hardware this year.

Next year is going to be fun.

MS is setting the bar with features for next gen, damn the specs. Sony has to match at least 2 that's been revealed so far. I know Sony was probably going to match anyway, but as of right now we just don't know.
Yeah, I like the unconventional look and the approach they are taking so far. Sony imho is playing things close to the chest, but that will change early next year.

Fixuis

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
These consoles sound like $499-599 territory for sure. Maybe 549. I'd be fine with any of those options, considering what we are getting.

ArabianPrynce

Jun 1, 2019
How do we know klee's 12 tflop number isnt referring to the dev kits and not the final box?? arent dev kits more powerful than retail box??

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
These consoles sound like $499-599 territory for sure. Maybe 549. I'd be fine with any of those options, considering what we are getting.
I just can't see $599 for either company under any circumstance.

Sony already tried it and got burned. Their PR language also suggests an emphasis on fast and wide adoption of PS5. That's not happening at $599.

MS doesn't remotely have the global brand presence to pull it off. A $599 XSX would sell anemically, no matter how powerful it is or how attractive its software lineup.

Oct 25, 2017
fastest transition doesnt mean $399. they launched the ps4 at $399 so if that didnt have the fastest transition are we dropping down to $299 to hit ps2 numbers? or $249 to BEAT ps2 numbers? of course not.

the only way $399 is happening is if sony has decided to take a $150 loss. its possible but it will come at the expense of specs which i just dont think sony will compromise on.

sony will sell the console at $499 knowing they will sell out their shipment within a few days. thats their fastest transition.
Agreed.

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
He has 50k subscribers on YouTube... 50k!

And he is the one MS are doing controlled leaks through... Yeah sure.

He might know someone that is leaking to him that I can't prove but if you believe Microsoft would choose a small YouTuber to intentionally leak information through your delusional.

looking at his videos he seems to report on basically any rumor and information so him being right about something seems like throwing a bunch of darts sooner or later you will hit bullseye.
I guess then IGNs own xbox podcast is even less known because his podcast has higher viewership than their xbox podcast.

RDX has had Mika Yabarra, Albert Panelo, Aron Greenberg on his podcast and Phil Spencer himself mentions it.

For someone who states that you don't like console warring you sure do seem to go way out of your way trying to discredit anything positive towards xbox, aggressively, without anything to back it up besides your opinion.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gamepass at the start of a new gen sounds amazing. Coming home with a new console with dozens of games off the bat. Can't wait. I think I'm finally gonna go all digital.
This is the way.

Oct 25, 2017
The last major game Sony announced for PS4 was Ghost of Tsushima in late 2017. Nioh 2 was the last major one 3rd party wise.

I feel like Sony is sitting on some goods and they are just waiting to announce them. Sony seemingly shifted resources to PS5 pretty early, so I guess it is more a matter of how they announce their new content rather than if there is anything to announce at all. The how part can definitely be tricky.

ArabianPrynce

Jun 1, 2019
The last major game Sony announced for PS4 was Ghost of Tsushima in late 2017. Nioh 2 was the last major one 3rd party wise.

I feel like Sony is sitting on some goods and they are just waiting to announce them. Sony seemingly shifted resources to PS5 pretty early, so I guess it is more a matter of how they announce their new content rather than if there is anything to announce at all. The how part can definitely be tricky.
sorry to ask this but what leaks did klee get right? what him credible other than zhuge verifying him?

JonesXlv

Jun 7, 2018
Confirmed? Xbox Series X. PS5, no idea, but it should certainly have VRS also. And, honestly, here is my personal fun prediction.

I believe the Series X shown is one of 3 Microsoft next gen consoles, with a much stronger model releasing 9 months to a year later after the holiday 2020 launch of Series X and lockhart. The console Microsoft showed everybody recently is their second most powerful next gen console with lockhart being the 3rd. That is my belief. This is why 'Series'

It's not about 2 next gen consoles. It's, right now, about three currently in active development. Microsoft is comfortable with the console they showcased recently at the Game Awards being their next gen console high end entry point that most people who want power will own. People who just want the cheapest entry to next gen will go with lockhart. For the even more hardcore, I believe Microsoft has yet another stronger system coming months to a year after release of Series X, possibly an Elite Series X, one where they don't so much mind if it doesn't sell as much as lockhart and Series X.

End of speculation.

Zero chance MS releases a more powerful spec console any sooner than 2 years post release of the Series X... the middle child console (the Series X) would essentially become cannibalized on both ends. No way.... no way.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Zero chance MS releases a more powerful spec console any sooner than 2 years post release of the Series X... the middle child console (the Series X) would essentially become cannibalized on both ends. No way.... no way.

Agreed. I can't see Microsoft releasing a more powerful spec a mere 12 months after the launch of Series X. Two years is the earliest. Three would be more preferable.

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
Thunderbolt is a possibility since usb 4.0 is essentially thunderbolt, and it would be better for external drive transfer speeds.
Do you or anyone know how the prices stack up between Thunderbolt 3 port and PCIe 4.0? And latency?

Idk in my mind I really can only comprehend there being a slot like on PS4 with a single screw cover to insert next gen NVME drive inside.

JonesXlv

Jun 7, 2018
No they will if the ROI (return on investment) of that cost is greater than putting the same money somewhere else.

let me give you an example of what I am talking about.

Selling ten million consoles at a 100$ loss will mean a billion in lost money they need to get back before the hardware makes any money.

Now they can also choose to spend a billion dollar in marketing their Xcloud and Gamepass services to people while not selling the hardware at a loss.

They will absolutely subsidize this generation if it means beating Sony and generating a larger audience for their growing xbox "as a service" portfolio. The math is there... Gamepass + XBL (or GP Unlimited) is a MASSIVE generator of recurring revenue for MS, and electronics history dictates that once bought into an ecosystem, it is safe to rely that recurring revenue. Everyone is massively underselling what their shift to Game Distribution as a Service will do to their pricing and desire to win market share next gen. I would be so very surprised if they weren't at least at price parity with Sony (even with a more powerful and costly to produce console). The Lockhart variant is the wildcard though, but until we have 100% confirmation of that SKU, what I said above stands.

Status
Not open for further replies.