• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
The PS4 super slim could very well be announced at the PS5 reveal, no? Sony has to figure showing off the PS5 will slow PS4 sales so what better way to combat that than a super slim PS4 with a price cut?

No, that would be a marketing misstep. The last thing you want to do when promoting your brand new thing is get people to think about your old thing in a new way in any shape or form. You want to focus on your new product, anything more than that is muddling things.

PS4 Slim would be a random PlayStation Blog reveal or a reveal separate from the main PS5 reveal.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
They also wouldn't announce a hardware revision that's due later in the year in February/March at a hypothetical PS Meeting event.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
No, that would be a marketing misstep. The last thing you want to do when promoting your brand new thing is get people to think about your old thing in a new way in any shape or form. You want to focus on your new product, anything more than that is muddling things.

PS4 Slim would be a random PlayStation Blog reveal or a reveal separate from the main PS5 reveal.
I generally agree, but Apple has had success dropping the price of previous models in the same event they announce a new one.

It gives the consumer a choice and an opportunity not to be scared away from your platform. Maybe a consumer wanted to pick up a PS5 to play all those PS4 games they missed, but ugh, it's 500 bucks! What's that, a new PS4 Slim and it's only $200? Maybe I'll just go ahead and buy that for now.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Well, not really or course depending on your Rig. One thing we don't know about for the PS5/Series X is how many of those Ryzen Cores are dedicated to the OS versus to games. On the PS4/Xbox One, the Jaguar which is a 8core CPU, but 2 of them (going from memory) is dedicated to the OS, leaving 6 cores for games. I think or would hope that with the faster architecture of the new CPU's that they can dedicate 1 core to the OS and 7 to games or perhaps a sub-processor dedicated to the OS so the full 8core are dedicated to games (wishful thinking on my part though).

i9-9900KF with a RTX 2080 Super.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
i9-9900KF with a RTX 2080 Super.
Yeah, you will be perfectly fine. I myself am awaiting deliver of my new I9-9900KS and other components. I will be using a Titan X Pascal GPU from my old build and will get a new 3000 series when they release them. But yeah, your CPU and GPU will imho handle anything the Next Gen Twins will be able to dish out.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Had a creative moment. Maybe you like it.

EL2tlzVWoAAJWlQ

this looks pretty good and stores can create Jenga displays.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
What are the chances that the inevitable PS5 announcement meeting comes in the form of a state of play rather than its own unique event?

Sony seems to really like that event as of late.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I generally agree, but Apple has had success dropping the price of previous models in the same event they announce a new one.

It gives the consumer a choice and an opportunity not to be scared away from your platform. Maybe a consumer wanted to pick up a PS5 to play all those PS4 games they missed, but ugh, it's 500 bucks! What's that, a new PS4 Slim and it's only $200? Maybe I'll just go ahead and buy that for now.

I kinda have to agree with this, even though I have no professional insight into this subject like Thanatos has. The ultra slim PS4 and the PS5 are catering to 2 different markets and either way a sale of either product is a new customer to Sony's ecosystem. A person purchasing a PS4 Ultra Slim for a cheap price could be seen as planting the seeds for Sony to eventually sell a PS5 to this person if they're happy with the product and ecosystem.

The eyes of the gaming world will all be focused on the PS5 reveal event so it is a nice time to market a product that can be available right away while they begin the marketing campaign for the PS5.

Either way, whether the PS4 Ultra Slim comes during the PS5 reveal event or in a blog post as Thanatos says or at some other point, I think it's inevitable that it'll eventually come so maybe we shouldn't discount all the rumors that were associated with it just yet.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Sony has a busy year. They have to promote Dreams, Last of Us, and Ghosts of Tsushima too.
True, actually wonder if marketing those three high profile games for the current best selling console and marketing their upcoming next gen console will collide with one another? Then again i could see them quickly announcing the PS5 in say Febraury, then focusing the first half of 2020 on those three games till E3, then full steam ahead on marketing the PS5.

Deleted member 56995

User requested account closure
Banned
May 24, 2019
NEW/POSSIBLY FINAL PREDICTIONS

PS5:
8c/16t Zen 2 CPU @ 3.2 GHz w/ 8MB L3 cache
11.98 TF GPU (52 active CUs @ 1.8 GHz)
16 GB GDDR6 available to devs (18GB total) @ 18 Gbps on a 288-bit memory bus
1 TB SSD @ 2.5 GB/s
$500 (with a $100+ loss)

Series X:
8c/16t Zen 2 CPU @ 3.6 GHz w/ 8MB cache
12.288 TF+ GPU (60 active CUs @ 1.6 GHz)
13 GB GDDR6 available to devs (16GB total) @ 18 Gbps on a 256-bit memory bus
1TB SSD @ 1 GB/s
$500 (with a $100+ loss)

Series S:
8c/16t Zen 2 CPU @ 3.4 GHz w/ 8MB cache
4.096 TF GPU (20 active CUs @ 1.6GHz)
9 GB GDDR6 available to devs (12GB Total) @ 16 Gbps on a 192-bit memory bus
512 GB SSD @ 1 GB/s
$300 (with a $75 loss)

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
What are the chances that the inevitable PS5 announcement meeting comes in the form of a state of play rather than its own unique event?

Sony seems to really like that event as of late.

Not a chance in hell. Sony is going to cram that event full of press, not just gaming press but normal press too so they can ensure newsfeeds are saturated with word of the PS5. A State of Play is good and information will be disseminated too, but this is how they roll for these sort of things. So expect to see news of the PS5 in news broadcasts around the world, in newspapers... everywhere, really.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

PS5:
1 TB SSD @ 2.5 GB/s
$500 (with a $100+ loss)

Series X:
1TB SSD @ 1 GB/s
$500 (with a $100+ loss)

Series S:
512 GB SSD @ 1 GB/s
$300 (with a $75 loss)
Can you explain why a digital only console has a 512GB drive while the console with a disc drive has 1tb? It should be a 2TB console for $399 but people have this idea that Microsoft is aiming for $299 because why?

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom

PS5:
1 TB SSD @ 2.5 GB/s
$500 (with a $100+ loss)

Series X:
1TB SSD @ 1 GB/s
$500 (with a $100+ loss)

Series S:
512 GB SSD @ 1 GB/s
$300 (with a $75 loss)

You know what confuses me about Lockhart? is not at the start of the gen but near the end of it, when the Series X and the PS5 are traditionally ment to start showing their age, what about the Lockhart? It probably won't even last 5 years into the 9th generation without some insane downgrades.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I think Sony will have a dedicated event and in February. CES like another poster posted above is January, so February is a good time for them to have the first official PS Meeting to show stuff about the system. With MS showing the Hardware, I wonder if Sony will be in a position to show what the retail PS5 unit will look like in February? But I fully expect Sony to have an event in February.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Not a chance in hell. Sony is going to cram that event full of press, not just gaming press but normal press too so they can ensure newsfeeds are saturated with word of the PS5. A State of Play is good and information will be disseminated too, but this is how they roll for these sort of things. So expect to see news of the PS5 in news broadcasts around the world, in newspapers... everywhere, really.

You just hyped the hell out of that event, goddamn i wanna watch it now lol.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn the amount of "insiders" that come out around these launch time's is crazy. Like nobody has to be verified anymore?

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
I think Sony will have a dedicated event and in February. CES like another poster posted above is January, so February is a good time for them to have the first official PS Meeting to show stuff about the system. With MS showing the Hardware, I wonder if Sony will be in a position to show what the retail PS5 unit will look like in February? But I fully expect Sony to have an event in February.
Another thing i just thought about but what if Microsoft decides to reveal the full specs of the Series X at CES, not only as a perfect time to talk about tech but to put some pressure onto Sony before they announce the PS5 in February?

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I think it'll be revealed similarly to the PS4, but event in February. They'll show games, talk about the specs etc.

At E3 we'll get the price, maybe the OS/UI demo and more games.

I don't think they showed the PS4 OS until PlayStation Experience though right?

I feel like stuff was spread across 3 events.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
You just hyped the hell out of that event, goddamn i wanna watch it now lol.

lol, me too. A new console doesn't come around very often and due to their position as market leader and as a global console Sony is going to be getting a lot of attention for the PS5.

I think it would definitely be a good idea for them to talk about the next evolution of PS Now at this event as well. With that many eyes on it they can get a solid, cohesive message about what the service is and what it will be going forward out there.

ArabianPrynce

Jun 1, 2019
i am going back down to team 10tflop, dont see how either sony or ms can make a 12tflop box for 399?? I want to be wrong so bad.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Another thing i just thought about but what if Microsoft decides to reveal the full specs of the Series X at CES, not only as a perfect time to talk about tech but to put some pressure onto Sony before they announce the PS5 in February?

It is possible..I mean, we just got shocked with them doing what they did at the Game Awards. MS is a big wild card because they are making moves that traditionally they don't do...which I believe is needed because of the ass kicking they got from Sony with the PS4.

I do believe however, that both need to spread information in a timely and spread out fashion. Blowing your wad too early and then letting months and months go buy without new information would be a mistake. For example, let's assume that MS stays silent until E3 and Sony has their event in February. For one, the hype and news of PS5 stuff will start early Feb. when Sony sends out invites. Then we have whatever they will show and that news will carry until E3 and we are talking 4-5 months of PS5 buzz with the only MS news was the Game Awards reveal.

Sony and MS imho will need to spread news throughout the year to keep hype and interest up. My prediction is Sony has a event mid-February, MS follows that in mid-March/early April. Then we head into E3. Something else towards September from both of them and then we head into launch window. It looks very similar to what happened in 2013 with the exception of MS doing what they did at the Game Awards.

In the end, as a gamer and enthusiast is already and incredible end of 2019 for Next Gen talk and what MS just did and 2020 is just going to be a roller coaster of information.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
lol, me too. A new console doesn't come around very often and due to their position as market leader and as a global console Sony is going to be getting a lot of attention for the PS5.

I think it would definitely be a good idea for them to talk about the next evolution of PS Now at this event as well. With that many eyes on it they can get a solid, cohesive message about what the service is and what it will be going forward out there.
Yeah if they follow suit like their PS4 announcement they'll release a video detailing when the events taking place, to further hype it up.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

I feel MS wouldn't want to do it at CES for the same reason why I don't think Sony will want to do it there. CES is already crazy with tech news of all shapes and forms and MS wouldn't want to have to share headlines with hundreds of other products. A stand-alone event is best because it puts all the focus on them.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing they're talking about the couple of insiders who popped up on GAF recently.
But GAF basically isn't moderated in the same fashion as it was in the old days. If that is the case, I agree. If the poster is asking about here, I really haven't seen much to bolster that claim.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
It is possible..I mean, we just got shocked with them doing what they did at the Game Awards. MS is a big wild card because they are making moves that traditionally they don't do...which I believe is needed because of the ass kicking they got from Sony with the PS4.

I do believe however, that both need to spread information in a timely and spread out fashion. Blowing your wad too early and then letting months and months go buy without new information would be a mistake. For example, let's assume that MS stays silent until E3 and Sony has their event in February. For one, the hype and news of PS5 stuff will start early Feb. when Sony sends out invites. Then we have whatever they will show and that news will carry until E3 and we are talking 4-5 months of PS5 buzz with the only MS news was the Game Awards reveal.

Sony and MS imho will need to spread news throughout the year to keep hype and interest up. My prediction is Sony has a event mid-February, MS follows that in mid-March/early April. Then we head into E3. Something else towards September from both of them and then we head into launch window. It looks very similar to what happened in 2013 with the exception of MS doing what they did at the Game Awards.

In the end, as a gamer and enthusiast is already and incredible end of 2019 for Next Gen talk and what MS just did and 2020 is just going to be a roller coaster of information.
One of the ways that i love how Sony is spreading the news rather than blowing their load or keeping silent is wired, interviews, keeps the discussion fresh till the next perfect opportunity, hope Microsoft follows suit aswell.

I feel MS wouldn't want to do it at CES for the same reason why I don't think Sony will want to do it there. CES is already crazy with tech news of all shapes and forms and MS wouldn't want to have to share headlines with hundreds of other products. A stand-alone event is best because it puts all the focus on them.
Thats fair, i mean in this day and age control of the news meta is key for new product releases, getting its news drowned out by other tech news would suck.

Deleted member 56995

User requested account closure
Banned
May 24, 2019
Can you explain why a digital only console has a 512GB drive while the console with a disc drive has 1tb? It should be a 2TB console for $399 but people have this idea that Microsoft is aiming for $299 because why?

I mean, it doesn't really matter when even games on discs have to be installed on the SSD. Also, this is supposed to be a budget console, and the SSD will be one of the most expensive components, so it makes sense to half.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
But GAF basically isn't moderated in the same fashion as it was in the old days. If that is the case, I agree. If the poster is asking about here, I really haven't seen much to bolster that claim.

Yeah, I miss the days where insiders were Bish verified :D

Ah well, even still we've got plenty of wonderful people who've shared info with us so we can't complain.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal

While this can be true, I don't think it makes sense when we consider the way Sony usually does things. Example: During the PS4 reveal, they didn't talk about the PS3 at all and only talked about the Vita in its relation to supporting the PS4's feature set.

This was also noticeable afterwards too, where "Where's the Vita?" became a meme at almost every conference/marketing release, Gio aside.

To me, if you wanted to put the super slim announcement near the show, you either do it in the pre-show or post-show.

You generally don't want people leaving your new product press conference thinking "Oh, the old product has a new model!". Plus, I think a price cut on the current model 2 months after it was already heavily price cut (for Christmas) isn't the kind of thing to generate market interest either I think.

The super slim might be something brought up later down the road when Christmas is 6-8 months ago, rather than merely 2.

I could be wrong, companies do weird things all the time, but it doesn't make much sense to me for those reasons.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
While this can be true, I don't think it makes sense when we consider the way Sony usually does things. Example: During the PS4 reveal, they didn't talk about the PS3 at all and only talked about the Vita in its relation to supporting the PS4's feature set.

This was also noticeable afterwards too, where "Where's the Vita?" became a meme at almost every conference/marketing release, Gio aside.

To me, if you wanted to put the super slim announcement near the show, you either do it in the pre-show or post-show.

You generally don't want people leaving your new product press conference thinking "Oh, the old product has a new model!". Plus, I think a price cut on the current model 2 months after it was already heavily price cut (for Christmas) isn't the kind of thing to generate market interest either I think.

The super slim might be something brought up later down the road when Christmas is 6-8 months ago, rather than merely 2.

I could be wrong, companies do weird things all the time, but it doesn't make much sense to me for those reasons.

What do you think about an E3 Slim reveal with price cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.