• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
it does.

but also makes sense to say twice the power to mean twice the TF because 6->12 despite the architectural changes

depends who MS is communicating to and what they're trying to get across

your view and measurements are very logical and I think fits well with what we might get - but too many unknowns to be completely sure. And of course people will always push to believe the biggest number
Yeah, it could still go either way and we will see.

Y'all are looking wayyyyyyy too deep into a statement lmao. Learn to just take things at face value.
What is more "face value" than literally finding the GPU that is 2x the power of the X1X GPU at 4K and extrapolating from there?

It's like people just don't want to hear it because it goes against the crash course direction of the hype train.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Now that we know what the retail box looks like for the Series X, I wonder what the devkit looks like?

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
One thing I took away from the DF Direct video is how "meh" the 5700XT is. When it showed Hitman 2 at 4K hovering around 30fps on Xbox One X, the 5700XT with the same graphic presents only doubled the frame rate. So in my simple brain, all this next-gen equates to is same quality graphics but doubling the frame rate to 60. Or prettier graphics but still a crap 30fps. I hope I'm way off mark.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Why would anyone be talking about GCN?
RDNA/Navi TFLOPS is a very new concept, a scenario where SX used a slightly downclocked Vega 64 early on & 12 TFLOPS was talked around the office isn't impossible.
It seems a bit of a coincidence that the 5700 XT is so close to the Vega 64, it's like someone wanted a 7nm Vega 64, though this is just speculation for fun.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
RDNA/Navi TFLOPS is a very new concept, a scenario where SX used a slightly downclocked Vega 64 early on & 12 TFLOPS was talked around the office isn't impossible.
It seems a bit of a coincidence that the 5700 XT is so close to the Vega 64, it's like someone wanted a 7nm Vega 64, though this is just speculation for fun.
It is what it is. The media outlets are split about those numbers as we are.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
This is a new level of pedantry guys.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
It is what it is. The media outlets are split about those numbers as we are.

I think that shows how well MS has kept this underwraps. As it's been said by Jason, since the majority of 3rd party support for the first year will be primarily crossgen, getting the dev kits too them late isn't necessarily a bad thing but from the sounds of it all XGS devs have the kits and are working on next gen titles.

On the note of trying to figure out what is in the box, isn't AMD doing another CES presser in January?

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I think that shows how well MS has kept this underwraps. As it's been said by Jason, since the majority of 3rd party support for the first year will be primarily crossgen, getting the dev kits too them late isn't necessarily a bad thing but from the sounds of it all XGS devs have the kits and are working on next gen titles.

On the note of trying to figure out what is in the box, isn't AMD doing another CES presser in January?
Yes and I expect them to make a tease about BIG Navi aka RDNA2. But just a little tease of what to come.

AGE2019

May 5, 2019
That's why I think it's implausible though. You have multiple press outlets running with 12TF, and I'm assuming they didn't arrive at the number with napkin math, it'd be easy to just issue a correction with no harm done. It looks worse to wait 3 months and come out and say it's actually 9-10TF and they gain nothing from letting the lie sit so long.

Exactly.
If it weren't 12 TF's MS would have came out and corrected this right away to avoid disappointment. Allowing people to think you have 12 TF RDNA when you only have 10 TF's would be a bad idea especially when Phil himself came out and stated "when you do the math the GPU is 2X more powerful than the GPU of the XB1X".

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
But AMD have made better GPUs than the Vega 64 for both PC and consoles.
Vega 64 was their best GPU for a long time & right around when next gen consoles started to be written up. 5700/XT are just a few months old. Radeon VII is more of a cut down work station GPU, only ken kutaragi would ask for that.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I shall now make a bold prediction! The PS5 will contain no fans and will be entirely passively cooled to be the quietest console ever!

... It could happen! 😋

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Finally, we're back to talking about what he actually said!

"We did the math - 2x the power of X1X"

Power doesn't just mean teraflops. It should take into consideration efficiency and be based on what the final actual performance is like. I'm not saying it's impossible that it's 12TFlops RDNA 2.0 and he just simply meant 6->12 but that seems like a long shot.

In a lot of benchmarks the 5700 XT is almost exactly 2x the average fps of the RX 580, especially at 1440p and 4K.

I'm solidly going with a more mature processed, overclocked 5700 XT as what is in these consoles. A few more CUs available too? Sure, maybe.

I came to this conclusion while contemplating Microsoft's explicit "2x the GPU" statement, and watching this video:

That was my thinking too. It makes pretty much no sense to be talking about 2x performance with regards to TFlops, when it would actually mean closer to 2.5x or to 3x (RDNA 2.0 mystery factor) the real world performance. He didn't say "more than 2x".

Unless Sony actually doesn't know the specs somehow and he's trying to undersell it at this stage or maybe he got it wrong or was actually just talking about teraflops for some reason.
But that sounds to me like wishful thinking to be honest. I know klee said 12 TF RDNA 2.0 but it could have been a misunderstanding. RDNA 2.0 and equivalent to about 12 TFlops GCN. That would actually make it seem plausible to be in a console unless AMD turned into efficiency wizards. The 5700XT was super hot.

Last edited:

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Yes, but what is your point? If Sony and Microsoft told AMD they wanted Vega 64 but smaller and cheaper, you'd end up with something inferior to their Navi line.
That's not relevant to the discussion here.
Im not sure whats hard to get, early kits might have had a Vega 64 but obviously downclocked, that nets it very neatly at 12 GCN Tflops & 2x the performance of XBX, the 12 tf's talk isn't a lie because that's probably what they aimed for & what most insiders have heard about the SX, now they swapped over to RDNA & we are hearing "well it's an RDNA GPU, so it must be RDNA TFLOPS" this is super easy to get lost in translation & cause confusion.
No one back in 2017/18 would have described the SX as GCN TFLOPS, that's a very new talking point, it would have been straight up discussed as 12 TFLOPS.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Finally, we're back to talking about what he actually said!

"We did the math - 2x the power of X1X"

Power doesn't just mean teraflops. It should take into consideration efficiency and be based on what the final actual performance is like.

That was my thinking too. It makes pretty much no sense to be talking about 2x performance with regards to TFlops, when that would actually mean closer to 2.5x to 3x (RDNA 2.0 mystery factor) the real world performance.

Unless Sony actually doesn't know the specs somehow and he's trying to undersell it at this stage or maybe he got it wrong or was actually just talking about teraflops for some reason.
But that sounds to me like wishful thinking to be honest. I know klee said 12 TF RDNA 2.0 but it could have been a misunderstanding. It's RDNA 2.0 and equivalent to about 12 TFlops GCN. That would actually make it seem plausible to be in a console. 5700XT was super hot.
MS will have a riot on their hands with the 12 TF numbers floating around if this is the case, and I'm sure they know that, which makes me believe it's actually 12 TF and not "equivalent to 12 GCN TF".

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
MS will have a riot on their hands with the 12 TF numbers floating around if this is the case, and I'm sure they know that, which makes me believe it's actually 12 TF and not "equivalent to 12 GCN TF".

Effectively no one else knows about teraflops outside of this thread.

All he'd have to say is 2x the power thanks to improvements in architecture. He never mentioned teraflops. We just ran with it because that's what we were talking about "12 is double 6!" 12 RDNA confirmed!

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Man I was pretty convinced SX was indeed 12 RDNA TF (and ecstatic about that) but now I'm really starting to wonder if it's more like 9-10 based on some of the comments here. Sure 10TF would be fine but I still would be kinda disappointed.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Im not sure whats hard to get, early kits might have had a Vega 64 but obviously downclocked, that nets it very neatly at 12 GCN Tflops & 2x the performance of XBX, the 12 tf's talk isn't a lie because that's probably what they aimed for & what most insiders have heard about the SX, now they swapped over to RDNA & we are hearing "well it's an RDNA GPU, so it must be RDNA TFLOPS" this is super easy to get lost in translation & cause confusion.
No one back in 2017/18 would have described the SX as GCN TFLOPS, that's a very new talking point, it would have been straight up discussed as 12 TFLOPS.
~7.8tf rx5700 is faster than vega 64, do you think xbox series x has 7.8 navi tf ? :-) (yes, we are back to 7tf ;d)

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
One thing I took away from the DF Direct video is how "meh" the 5700XT is. When it showed Hitman 2 at 4K hovering around 30fps on Xbox One X, the 5700XT with the same graphic presents only doubled the frame rate. So in my simple brain, all this next-gen equates to is same quality graphics but doubling the frame rate to 60. Or prettier graphics but still a crap 30fps. I hope I'm way off mark.
That is about as far as AMD compute has advanced since the X1X has released.

Look at the response to the 5500 XT launch. It's pretty much matching the RX 580, despite being the low end card. It doubles the performance of the RX 560 at the same settings.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Effectively no one else knows about teraflops outside of this thread.

All he'd have to say is 2x the power thanks to improvements in architecture. He never mentioned teraflops. We just ran with it because that's what we were talking about "12 is double 6!" 12 RDNA confirmed!
Yes but they didn't clarify that, and now the 12 TF number is out in the wild. And even though MS never said 12 TF, people will be disappointed if the actual number is less, hence why I think Microsoft would have said something by now if it was actually around 10 TF.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

The back engineering to figure out how it's not 12 is pretty funny.

Everyone with actual sources and information have said 12 because they are getting their information directly from Microsoft.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Yes but they didn't clarify that, and now the 12 TF number is out in the wild. And even though MS never said 12 TF, people will be disappointed if the actual number is less, hence why I think Microsoft would have said something by now if it was actually around 10 TF.

Saying anything at this stage would draw massive attention to this issue and give the people the message "it's not as powerful as we thought" before we even know what the competition has. No way they'd say anything, they don't need to. He just said twice as powerful, nothing about actual specs.

I admit there's a chance...but I really think he'd say more than twice as powerful if it was. It was their first big reveal.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
3D printed mockup

rgpqrme5nm441.jpg

Chonky boi.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
If it is 12 TFlops RDNA (2.0?) then AMD have some magic in store for CES2020 and Phil just undersold the console to a general audience.

I hope the insiders are right. It would be brilliant for everyone (who didn't sell a limb to upgrade their PC this year...).

Status
Not open for further replies.