• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I hope I can solve it too. I don't have a place where to put a device uncer the table on top of which my TV is sitting so the console has to be there too.
First world problems (we both have) LOL

Besides, my expectation was a smaller form factor for Xbox and all my thoughts were based on that foundation. If Sony goes with a bigger form factor too I can see they can "cage a dragon" ;)

Edit:
Though, volume may not so much different as expected after thinking about it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So according to this article, more of Godfall will be show in spring 2020. Might be at a PS5 event?

www.playstationlifestyle.net

How Godfall Takes Advantage of the PS5 Tech and Controller, More About its World and Gameplay - Keith Lee Interview - PlayStation LifeStyle

We talked with Keith Lee from Counterplay Games to find out how Godfall PS5 takes advantage of the next-gen tech and the new controller features. We also learned more about its world and gameplay.
So devs are told to make the SSD special when asked about the PS5 so I guess Sony reveal will make that a big focus.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems like you may not have understood me in a few areas- some of your statements seem a bit garbled here. Let me clarify to make sure we're on the same page.

1.) Sony is quite aggressive and always has been with the PS hardware and software. The PS4 is the most conservative system they've ever put out, in fact. Prior to this they were notorious for going balls to the wall with strange, custom hardware that was quite powerful yet difficult to master. Even so as we've seen the PS4 hardware get more conservative, we've seen them take MORE risks with their software and first party efforts.

Your example of PSNow is nonsensical. Sony bought Gaikai *7 years ago* for **$380 million USD** based largely on potential. Is that "not being aggressive?" a lot of people will disagree with you. PSNow isn't "ignored by everyone" it's the largest streaming service that exists. Now, is there missed potential there? absolutely. Sony could have done more with it- but there's not really a good reason to. The infrastructure to make a purely streaming only service just isn't there yet. We've seen this with Stadia. Despite google's piles of money and massive datacenters they own, the platform is nowhere NEAR what was promised and does not appear as if it can be for a very long while. The streaming model also makes sony WAY less money than direct sales of software, which they are very, very good at. Microsoft on the other hand is NOT good at selling consoles in comparison, which is why you're seeing the shift to gamepass and xcloud, because the console war is over. Sony has won that battle.

If Microsoft wants to lose money giving away gamepass subscriptions to build the kind of base that Sony already has, more power to them- but there's no reason for Sony to push PSnow the same way.

2.) Microsoft is investing a lot of money into pushing gamepass and Xcloud. They are NOT putting a lot of money into losing fistfuls of money on console hardware- because there simply IS no way to beat Sony selling consoles when they don't exist in half the market where Sony competes. So does making Gamepass a loss leader to make inroads in those territories make sense? possibly. Does losing $200 a box on Xbox Series X systems to price cut Sony make sense? absolutely not.

3.) You misunderstood my statements about profits entirely. no one was speaking about the 360. We're talking about microsoft's profits RIGHT NOW.

TICcDMA.png

RIGHT NOW, not in the "360 era", only about 9% of Microsoft's revenue is coming from gaming, in its entirety. 90% of that revenue is coming from somewhere else. It's not a big revenue driver. in fact, everything Xbox and gaming related period is only marginally more than Microsoft makes from Bing. Yes, Bing. That thing no one uses and microsoft barely bothers to mention anymore.

Sony on the other hand is a completely different story.

Sony-2018-19-FY-Results-05-Segment-Results.jpg

Game and network services is the LARGEST sector of sony's business by far. it's a full quarter of sony's 79 Billion USD revenue in FY 18, and double what Home Entertainment and Financial Services brings in. Playstation is CRITICAL to the success of Sony as a business, and Sony treats it as such.

So when asking "who is in a better position to agressively price a console product'" the answer is- as I said- Sony. Sony's PS division is more critical to the organization, and game and network services is FAR more profitable as a division than Microsoft's gaming segment is.

There's no coherent reason why Microsoft WOULD throw a bunch of money at Xbox, even if they had not previously demonstrated with Xbox as well as other divisions such as zune, bing, surface, and windows phone that they will not float them indefinitely with profits from office, windows, and azure. There's a fantasy that Microsoft will simply use piles of cash to dump hardware at fire sale prices to win the sector- Microsoft has *never* done this. Not with Xbox, not with anything.

Honestly thought it was less. ~10% is actually a really significant part of their business.

Plus I'd suggest that some of the Azure revenue is cross-charged from Xbox division.

It also works as a marketing device for their non-traditional customers into their other services.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
User Banned (2 weeks): Continued hostility, previous infractions for similar behaviour
Yikes, seems Anthony Hopkins went full on platform warrior in the Godfall thread and flew too close to the sun.

Caught himself a nice one month ban. Pour out a 40 for the dude.

Honestly thought it was less. ~10% is actually a really significant part of their business.

10% is "really significant"???? You must have a very low bar for your definition, friend.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes, seems Anthony Hopkins went full on platform warrior in the Godfall thread and flew too close to the sun.

Caught himself a nice one month ban. Pour out a 40 for the dude.

10% is "really significant"???? You must have a very low bar for your definition, friend.
oh Anthony... there's been third party Playstation exclusives for the PS4 every year.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
It's basically a tad bigger than the 1X standing vertical folded "hotdog" style. If they lined up the mockups from the rear of the consoles instead of the front you'd see how it's almost half the size (depth/width depending on orientation) as current gen.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Was bored and made a concept of what I think the PS5 could look like.

Would you guys like the PS5 to look like this?
(the vent is a subtle V shape)
N9U80hW.jpg

I like it! Reminds me a bit of the XB1X but that's ok. I would love to see Sony do something "cleaner" than the angled sandwiches. I always thought the PS2 slim was elegant, would love something like that again (obviously larger).

The general consensus was like 3.2 Ghz and many even thought 2.8 ghz.
It's 3.6 ghz which is huge. Talking CPU wise.

Surprise surprise, "general consensus" is wrong again :) Call it a hunch but I'm sure MS was always aiming for 3.5 GHz+. Wouldn't be shocked if we get PS5 GPU slightly faster, but XSX CPU slightly faster.

It seems like you may not have understood me in a few areas- some of your statements seem a bit garbled here. Let me clarify to make sure we're on the same page.

1.) Sony is quite aggressive and always has been with the PS hardware and software. The PS4 is the most conservative system they've ever put out, in fact. Prior to this they were notorious for going balls to the wall with strange, custom hardware that was quite powerful yet difficult to master. Even so as we've seen the PS4 hardware get more conservative, we've seen them take MORE risks with their software and first party efforts.

Your example of PSNow is nonsensical. Sony bought Gaikai *7 years ago* for **$380 million USD** based largely on potential. Is that "not being aggressive?" a lot of people will disagree with you. PSNow isn't "ignored by everyone" it's the largest streaming service that exists. Now, is there missed potential there? absolutely. Sony could have done more with it- but there's not really a good reason to. The infrastructure to make a purely streaming only service just isn't there yet. We've seen this with Stadia. Despite google's piles of money and massive datacenters they own, the platform is nowhere NEAR what was promised and does not appear as if it can be for a very long while. The streaming model also makes sony WAY less money than direct sales of software, which they are very, very good at. Microsoft on the other hand is NOT good at selling consoles in comparison, which is why you're seeing the shift to gamepass and xcloud, because the console war is over. Sony has won that battle.

If Microsoft wants to lose money giving away gamepass subscriptions to build the kind of base that Sony already has, more power to them- but there's no reason for Sony to push PSnow the same way.

2.) Microsoft is investing a lot of money into pushing gamepass and Xcloud. They are NOT putting a lot of money into losing fistfuls of money on console hardware- because there simply IS no way to beat Sony selling consoles when they don't exist in half the market where Sony competes. So does making Gamepass a loss leader to make inroads in those territories make sense? possibly. Does losing $200 a box on Xbox Series X systems to price cut Sony make sense? absolutely not.

3.) You misunderstood my statements about profits entirely. no one was speaking about the 360. We're talking about microsoft's profits RIGHT NOW.

TICcDMA.png

RIGHT NOW, not in the "360 era", only about 9% of Microsoft's revenue is coming from gaming, in its entirety. 90% of that revenue is coming from somewhere else. It's not a big revenue driver. in fact, everything Xbox and gaming related period is only marginally more than Microsoft makes from Bing. Yes, Bing. That thing no one uses and microsoft barely bothers to mention anymore.

Sony on the other hand is a completely different story.

Sony-2018-19-FY-Results-05-Segment-Results.jpg

Game and network services is the LARGEST sector of sony's business by far. it's a full quarter of sony's 79 Billion USD revenue in FY 18, and double what Home Entertainment and Financial Services brings in. Playstation is CRITICAL to the success of Sony as a business, and Sony treats it as such.

So when asking "who is in a better position to agressively price a console product'" the answer is- as I said- Sony. Sony's PS division is more critical to the organization, and game and network services is FAR more profitable as a division than Microsoft's gaming segment is.

There's no coherent reason why Microsoft WOULD throw a bunch of money at Xbox, even if they had not previously demonstrated with Xbox as well as other divisions such as zune, bing, surface, and windows phone that they will not float them indefinitely with profits from office, windows, and azure. There's a fantasy that Microsoft will simply use piles of cash to dump hardware at fire sale prices to win the sector- Microsoft has *never* done this. Not with Xbox, not with anything.

On the specific point, you're probably right - MS is not going to flush tons of money on XSX to the point of undercutting Sony by $100+.

Bigger picture, though, I think you're wrong. Having something be such a huge share of company profits makes you conservative. This was MS's problem with Windows/Office back in the day, and now Apple with iPhone, Ford with the F150, or any other example of a dominant product. You can't take big risks, or else you might kill the golden goose. Sony knows they need to sell another 100 million consoles just to tread water with where they are today - anything less than that would be a shocking failure.

(I am talking here about risks in terms of market strategy, not risks in terms of individual games or whatever.)

Meanwhile I guarantee you Satya Nadella is not sitting in meetings with Phil saying "gee Phil I'll be so happy if you can just keep chugging along at 10% of our revenue and 45 million consoles." No, he wants to see Xbox/gaming become an Office/Azure/Windows scale business. That's why they're shelling out a ton of money for studios, Game Pass, streamers, xCloud blades, etc. That's why they've completely reorganized to make Xbox co-equal to those other parts of the company. Fast, significant growth is the goal. And it's much easier to change course and take risks when you're only risking 10% of the company.

And btw, this point is wrong: "If Microsoft wants to lose money giving away gamepass subscriptions to build the kind of base that Sony already has more power to them- but there's no reason for Sony to push PSnow the same way." GamePass has far more subs than PS Now does. That's why you see Sony trying to undercut MS on price and increase their perceived catalog quality: in this specific sub-market, they are the one trying to catch up to a much larger opponent.

So no, Microsoft probably won't sell XSX for $399 if PS5 is at $499. But they will, for example, take on the cost of designing a second $299 console and making all their games available day 1 for a $10 charge. Which in the end is basically the same thing as subsidizing XSX would be. Spending money now to make money later, in a way that Sony wouldn't dare.

I'm sure warriors will turn this around and say "yeah they wish they were Sony making all that money!" which... yes, duh :) The whole point of taking risks when you're behind is to try to turn into the conservative incumbent in the future. It's why in many ways Sony was at their best late PS3 when they were trying to overtake the 360, doing crazy awesome shit like the Instant Game Collection. It's the great circle of life business.

Last edited:

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
12 tf of rdna.. Damn thats crazy impressive. How is that possible seeing top of the line RX 5700XT has 9.7tf?

Jan 20, 2019
First world problems (we both have) LOL

Besides, my expectation was a smaller form factor for Xbox and all my thoughts were based on that foundation. If Sony goes with a bigger form factor too I can see they can "cage a dragon" ;)

Edit:
Though, volume may not so much different as expected after thinking about it.

Call ikea to see if they can find you a support =D

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Mecha Meister Great work on the OT! The name is unlucky cause it represents only one Next Gen console (for now) and the thread is about both. Nevertheless you are doing an amazing job

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So is it fair to say next gen consoles will give much more expensive PCs a run for their money?

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen any insiders saying the ps5 is slightly stronger anymore since the series X was revealed

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I haven't seen any insiders saying the ps5 is slightly stronger anymore since the series X was revealed
Klee said all his previous claims aside from lockhart still stands.
PS5 being slightly more powerful is one of those.

regardless, I couldnt care less as Jason is reporting both are very close so why does it matter really? buy the console with the games you like and call it a day.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
You can see how real her gum and teeth are now? I can't imagine such details getting better even on PS10 tbh. We reached a point where some aspects can't be improved anymore
Also those damn real time wrinkles under her eyes and on her nose when she is doing that grimace.
This was a staged scene with focus on one character. Some games who discard enough things could get some elements realistic, but on a whole, we're not there. Game rendering still has to go a loooong way to reach realistic visuals.

Dec 8, 2018
How the fuck does this thread always turn back to "so Xbox is stronger right since they are 12TF right? No insider have said PS is stronger since that news!"

There have never been anyone saying Xbox is stronger with any credibility since the 12TF reveal and the one insider we got have said that PS5 was still slightly stronger (by confirming nothing have changed).

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Klee said all his previous claims aside from lockhart still stands.
PS5 being slightly more powerful is one of those.

regardless, I couldnt care less as Jason is reporting both are very close so why does it matter really? buy the console with the games you like and call it a day.
Also, everyone doesn't get involved in console wars like some seem to want, so why would he keep repeating himself over n over.

It really shouldn't be that serious.

I'm starting to hope Series X is stronger, maybe it will make some ppl chill out. But thats a pipe dream. It's going to get worse.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I dont get is this running narrative that developers were working with 10+ teraflops Scarlett before last week's briefing to developers. I dont see it. Matt didn't seem surprised, so didn't Schreier. Even if you count Digital Foundry, they said they've heard about the Anaconda 12 teraflops rumor way earlier this year.

It's one of the 'show me the receipts moment' because as far as I know, the 10+ teraflops assumption was born out of speculation on here, and Beyond3D.

Komachi has also decided not to leak out any Arden and Oberon news for months, so that has left quite a gap of technical leaks that we could work with.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
What I dont get is this running narrative that developers were working with 10+ teraflops Scarlett before last week's briefing to developers. I dont see it. Matt didn't seem surprised, so didn't Schreier. Even if you count Digital Foundry, they said they've heard about the Anaconda 12 teraflops rumor way earlier this year.

It's one of the 'show me the receipts moment' because as far as I know, the 10+ teraflops assumption was born out of speculation on here, and Beyond3D.

Komachi has also decided not to leak out any Arden and Oberon news for months, so that has left quite a gap of technical leaks that we could work with.

'if kits have only just started going out,maybe they were working with pc kits and 5700xt to give an indication of performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.