• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Something else I was thinking of while taking a shower this evening, would 9.2TF even be powerful enough for PSVR2 in terms of them wanting to run higher framerates and better graphics?

Very much so yes. A PS5 at those theoretical specs would be much more capable for VR than the current situation with the PS4/Pro. A big part is the leap in CPU since the graphical side will be easier to scale for VR.

I can't agree, honestly. Having a 30% better graphical baseline that allows for games to fundamentally look better and run smoother for the whole next generation and for the rest of their lives is, to me, more important than saving $100 once.

To be fair it will depend on how well MS communicates this advantage, not only with words but also with exclusives that show off their system. If most games show minimal differences, it'll be a tougher sell for them.

I can't see any clear advantage to announcing pricing first if the generally accepted lineup here is correct. In fact, if Lockhart is a conditional play depending on what Sony announces I can see them drawing out any announcement about pricing to force Microsoft to commit one way or another as their production deadlines approach. It's could be a very dull year until it gets really interesting.

It could go either way really. Even IF, and that's a big IF, MS wait to see how Sony prices the PS5, they may launch Lockhart anyways just to undercut them on price.

Last edited:

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
TF conversation aside ... is anyone here thinking they may switch from one preferred console to the other?

I have both Xbox One X and PS4 Pro and play most multiplats on Xbox, but have a lot of friends on PS4 and really enjoyed their first party games this gen. Curious if anyone else is starting to consider an ecosystem change for next year.
Nope, PS5 all the way no matter what happens.

Sunlight

Apr 22, 2019
Taiwan leaker says important info 1 hour ago:

Sparkman area is only a bit more than 50% of Arden.

Ariel appeared in Taiwan in late 2017.
(The author thinks it may not even SONY's product, because the timing of OBR is much later)

Arden is 15% larger than OBR.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Is the consensus that Lockhart is 100% going to be a low priced consumer box, or is there still a segment of people who think it's only purpose is to be a 1080p cloud unit?

I know it can be both a cloud unit and a low priced consumer unit, I'm just curious where the most people are at on the subject.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I've been meaning to ask, does anyone have the exact Jason quote about Stadia and these consoles? I see it mentioned every so often and am trying to give myself some context to understand it better.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been meaning to ask, does anyone have the exact Jason quote about Stadia and these consoles? I see it mentioned every so often and am trying to give myself some context to understand it better.

e: I understand these links dont always work on this forum based on ppp so here is the quote:
Look, as I've been saying since roughly March 2018 (in this very thread), next-gen is coming in 2020. That Semiaccurate article saying 2018 (lol) got people's hopes up for 2019, but by now I hope it's clear that the PS5 ain't coming out this fall.

And, despite all the rumors about devkits being out (usually from rumormongers who are wrong more often than not), the number of people briefed on next-gen is still very limited. Even within companies like, say, DICE, there'll be a small team of engineers who now have a rough idea of specs, and everyone else will know when they need to know. Not a lot of devs are disclosed on next-gen right now.

In other words, don't expect much in the way of substantial leakage just yet. The only thing to know for sure is that both Sony and Microsoft are aiming higher than that "10.7 teraflops" number that Google threw out last week. (And, as has been reported, Microsoft's got a few things in the works.)

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it still affects the Xbox. Pro outsold the X, much of that because market share is a snowball that is generally really hard to stop.

It's really important to hit the ground running.

Matt do you see it harder to get people away from there current console eco system ?
Every gen there is a rest taking into account certain factors but coming from this gen things seem so different from the past in ways.

Oct 25, 2017

www.resetera.com

Next gen PS5 and next Xbox launch speculation - Secret sauces spicing 2019

Look, as I've been saying since roughly March 2018 (in this very thread), next-gen is coming in 2020. That Semiaccurate article saying 2018 (lol) got people's hopes up for 2019, but by now I hope it's clear that the PS5 ain't coming out this fall. And, despite all the rumors about devkits being...

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Hmm Aquarius has access to info but his conclusions are terrible.

Sparkman for handheld?
Sega Xbox?

wut.

The two takeways for me is that Sparkman = ~180mm2. Ariel began in 2017, which fits timetables for 2019 PS5.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I mean, it still affects the Xbox. Pro outsold the X, much of that because market share is a snowball that is generally really hard to stop.

It's really important to hit the ground running.

To what degree do you think this will effect next gen? In the sense of, if both systems have full BC, will people largely just trade in their current console for its successor, so each company's market share doesn't actually change that much?

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
AquariusZi speculates that Sony is going with their own custom RT solution (non-AMD), and the 15% difference in size is due to Arden having on die RT.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017

e: I understand these links dont always work on this forum based on ppt so here is the quote:
www.resetera.com

Next gen PS5 and next Xbox launch speculation - Secret sauces spicing 2019

Look, as I've been saying since roughly March 2018 (in this very thread), next-gen is coming in 2020. That Semiaccurate article saying 2018 (lol) got people's hopes up for 2019, but by now I hope it's clear that the PS5 ain't coming out this fall. And, despite all the rumors about devkits being...

Many thanks to you both. I'd love for him to elaborate on that comment further but I'm sure he wouldn't touch this thread with a 10 foot poll lol.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Matt do you see it harder to get people away from there current console eco system ?
Every gen there is a rest taking into account certain factors but coming from this gen things seem so different from the past in ways.
Yeah. It's going to be even harder than normal to get people to switch.
Interesting. So the relationship between the Series X and Lockhart isn't completely analogous to that of the One X and One S?
Well yeah, it has to be, even just by virtue of the SX launching from the start. It's the lead platform, it's going to be a much bigger part of the user base than the X is.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
AquariusZi speculates that Sony is going with their own custom RT solution (non-AMD), and the 15% difference in size is due to Arden having on die RT.

Doesn't this conflict with Cerny saying:

"There is ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU hardware,"

Doesn't that mean their solution has to be on the die too?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't this conflict with Cerny saying:

"There is ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU hardware,"

Doesn't that mean their solution has to be on the die too?

It is possible was talking about it before .
Like how some of that stuff is on the PS4 pro die .
Still don't seem like something Cerny would do but here we are .

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I'd like to bring up the topic of chiplets again if I may. I know in the past it's been typically dismissed because of the phrasing used to describe the next gen chips, but is there any potential reason to think chiplets will play a part in either console? :)

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
Yeah. It's going to be even harder than normal to get people to switch.

Well yeah, it has to be, even just by virtue of the SX launching from the start. It's the lead platform, it's going to be a much bigger part of the user base than the X is.

I think Sony gamers are a lost cause and they shouldn't aim for them. But the new console gamer, which is what Microsoft is doing and should be doing

I'm gonna say this a lot but I expect MS to have Lockhart a big loss leader in price to get people into the Xbox Ecosystem, having Game Pass + allowing gamers to play their games on XCloud is what I think a big marketing push.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
To be fair it will depend on how well MS communicates this advantage, not only with words but also with exclusives that show off their system. If most games show minimal differences, it'll be a tougher sell for them.

Fair, though I was talking more about how it would affect game quality in the long run than how it would sell. I agree that casual types would care more about the immediate price point, but I disagree with them, similar to how I wish the Pro had been a stronger $499 machine.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm Aquarius has access to info but his conclusions are terrible.

Sparkman for handheld?
Sega Xbox?

wut.

The two takeways for me is that Sparkman = ~180mm2. Ariel began in 2017, which fits timetables for 2019 PS5.
He also speculates that ps5 die is smaller because it doesn't contain rt cores and that Sony is using its own rt solution/die.

His conclusions are awful because he said Sony might be going with nvidia for rt lmao. Or maybe he's joking and its lost in translation.
Specifically, well-known leaker-Komachi Ensaka found four graphics chip codes, namely Sparkman,
: Arden, Oberon, Ariel, the first two of which are from Xbox and contain information about ray tracing and shadow technology,
: The latter two correspond to SONY PS5, but they do not have these codes.

Sparkman is tiny
It's only half as big as Arden
But from the layout point of view, it should also be SoC

It is not practical to expect it to have the performance of the NG console
So there are two possibilities

1. Streaming host, just before Lockhart
Handheld

Then Ariel appeared in the theology since the end of 2017
I think he has nothing to do with Soso
Too much time difference with OBR

: One guess is that SONY has developed its own ray tracing acceleration module (hardware / software), or found a new supply
: Customization (It would be too dramatic if NVIDIA!).

I mentioned earlier that Arden is larger than OBR (about 15%)
This missing area may indeed be an RT ASIC

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
He thinks Sparksman is either Lockhart or handheld SOC.

I think he should say the numbers and the facts and leave the speculation to pros like us. 😂

He also speculates that ps5 die is smaller because it doesn't contain rt cores and that Sony is using its own rt solution/die.

His conclusions are awful because he said Sony might be going with nvidia for rt lmao. Or maybe he's joking and its lost in translation.

The Nvidia part is another poster's text in blue. His reply is that the difference in die size might be RT.

If that's true then MS is on 7nm+, due to 56CUs vs 36CUS.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I think Sony gamers are a lost cause and they shouldn't aim for them. But the new customers, which is what Microsoft is doing and should be done.
No, that would not be a good idea.

Expanding the market is great, and that's a big focus with Xcloud, but that's a much longer-term bet. The people that already play consoles will spend a lot more and drive adoption better than those new customers.

MS can't just ignore 100 million incredibly valuable potential customers.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Not Matt, but this gen absolutely felt like the best chance for ecosystem lock-in and the worst time for Microsoft to shit the bed

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
No, that would not be a good idea.

Expanding the market is great, and that's a big focus with Xcloud, but that's a much longer-term bet. The people that already play consoles will spend a lot more and drive adoption better than those new customers.

MS can't just ignore 100 million incredibly valuable potential customers.

I mean those who are getting their first console. Like I say $250 Lockhart console + Game Pass is a big incentive. Especially for a price-sensitive market and Sony's unwillingness to embrace Subscription Gaming by putting first party on day 1.

But there's no doubt in the Cloud Gaming world, Microsoft's definitely got the services, infrastructure and the partnerships to do well in that market.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I don't think that's the case on hardware for consoles (except for Nintendo). I think they break even on the box at best to bring in the whales. But I know you know that which makes your statement kinda puzzling.
When there is one SKU. But if they are going with a low end and high end, part of the point of the high end is to reduce losses with customers who are willing to pay more.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Does anyone think POWER VR RT is possible? Does it require RT cores or not?

It seems to be it's own block, and not tightly coupled with the rest of the GPU.
PowerVR-GR6500-GPU-PowerVR-Wizard-GPUs.png

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017

Interesting if true. I wonder how it would compare to Nvidia's and AMD's solutions.

I think Sony gamers are a lost cause and they shouldn't aim for them. But the new customers, which is what Microsoft is doing and should be done.

While BC will be a factor, gamers are a fickle bunch so both companies should be trying to win everyone they can. I think them premiering their console with the hellblade trailer was intentionally trying to grab the same attention Sony has been enjoying for a while now.

Fair, though I was talking more about how it would affect game quality in the long run than how it would sell. I agree that casual types would care more about the immediate price point, but I disagree with them, similar to how I wish the Pro had been a stronger $499 machine.

I definitely agree with you there. I won't say I'm bothered by it but the differences between the Pro and 1X versions are usually noticeable when I'm playing with friends on my playstation. It would be great to have more of an even experience when I'm playing on either console next gen. Hopefully crossplay will be more popular next gen so even if there is a gap, I can still play with friends the other console.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
When there is one SKU. But if they are going with a low end and high end, part of the point of the high end is to reduce losses with customers who are willing to pay more.

It'll be interesting to see BOM estimates post launch. Feels like we're charting new territory this gen for strategy which is exciting. My business/marketing degree senses are tingling.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I mean those who are getting their first console. Like I say $250 Lockhart console + Game Pass is a big incentive. Especially for a price-sensitive market and Sony's unwillingness to embrace Subscription Gaming by putting first party on day 1.
The market for new people getting consoles is not really that meaningful (save for kids who grow into it). There aren't 100M new people that want a game console, no matter how good a value GP is. And even if there was a big market to be had there, those users would still spend much less than existing core gamers.

MS needs to go after Sony's userbase. That's where the money is for many more years.

Status
Not open for further replies.