• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
So in your opinion the cu count is something that's definitely in the ps5 even though it has yet to be confirmed... just speaking in terms of your opinion
The impression is: CU number is 40 , with 4 disabled for yields, so 36 active CU.Final clock in the retail PS5 will probably be in 1.8-2.0 GHz range.

Nobody can "confirm" that except Sony when they release the specs.

Mohsenix

Mar 31, 2018
I cannot believe how fast all of those "marginal difference in power" reports got ignored after the Oberon test results.

I feel like we know less now than we did before the leak. That makes the PS5 way more interesting.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because people get news from other sources than Resetera.
Well I wish they made a video on Klee, Jason and other rumors pertaining to the PlayStation 5 as well. You know, for months on end thats all we had to go by. Also could DF maybe make a video about RDNA 1 and RDNA 2, and how that affects the Series X regarding RT. We do believe MS has HW RT, maybe it affects the PS5 as well of course, but I would love Richards input on how MS is getting Hardware RT from RDNA 1, when no 2019 RDNA 1 card has it.

Dark1x
Dictator
And others from DF, Please ask Richard to make a video on this.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
Happy Holidays everyone! I hope you've all been doing well!

I've quoted the title suggestions I've seen so far and I'll try to get a poll up soon. Possibly within the next 500-1000 posts but it's hard to judge because the thread moves so fast!

If you have any suggestions for a new thread title until then, please don't hesitate to post it!

If you do make a suggestion, please write "OT9" clearly in the post like this, this is to make it easier for me to search for them!
I think we should try to keep names out of it depending on the context, as I don't want people to take things wrong.

Thread title format: Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread |OT9| -

Edit:
Please try to leave the GitHub stuff out of it, it's unfortunate that some kind of leak took place, I'm concerned about the person who made the mistake, so I don't think it would be a good idea to have thread title inspired by what happened.

Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread |OT9| - Be ready for the CES 2020 disappointment

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
it would make nearly 0 sense for Sony to be testing a chip they have no intention of using....... that has the same code name as what we think the PS5s code name is.... if people want to actually believe there is a secret PS5 chip somewhere then that's fine.
Well it's not that outrageous considering people believe in a secret Lockhart chip no one has found as well as MS secret "Argalus" no one has any idea about.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
it would make nearly 0 sense for Sony to be testing a chip they have no intention of using....... that has the same code name as what we think the PS5s code name is.... if people want to actually believe there is a secret PS5 chip somewhere then that's fine.

Because they still need to test BC .
Most of these test have to do with that .
If final hardware is not out how do you expect them to test BC.
We even know there still working on it.

Also when it comes to code names it depends on what you talking about .
We don't have the PS5 code name and the dev kit name is not any of those .
Those are suppose to be code name for the PS5 gpu or apu .

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Hmm... Schreier especially has been right about a lot. Matt's recent comments would suggest the leak doesn't say anything about the final hardware.

If the leak isn't representative of the final CU count, do you have any theory as to what else it could be?

testing with certain specs as in Clock speeds, memory speeds, memory bandwidth, and memory type. Their goal is probably testing a couple different things, and seeing what they get for final results in teraflops from what tests would show in their capabilities.

Remember final production does not start until mid this year in terms of mass producing chips. So they more than likely are close to the final iteration. And it's possible when they made this deal they had more than one chip they were testing with. More than likely this was a type of yield/clock/cu test.

They may have a 40 cu chip with lower clocks giving them a 9-9.2tf final number which I believe is close to Sony's target. And falls in line with what Jason/Klee have been saying.

Having your final tf number at 12tf is irrelevant. As this is all GPU for the most part. I think right now they are weighing in on tests for power usage, heat with whatever heatsink patent they have.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Neither 2.0GHz clocks nor the estimated XSX case size vs 12TF make much sense.

I've even made a mock-up of the XSX and it is tiny. Around half the volume of my desktop PC bookshelf speaker. Reading people here describe the case as big/huge/massive is...odd. I find it very hard to believe a 250-300W system (same as a very high-end PC) can be console priced and cooled in such a small case unless it is premium Apple money.

And a 2.0GHz GPU in a typical Sony system makes my ears quiver in fear.

Nothing makes sense right now so back to waiting for the reveals....

it it really much smaller than this:

58772.a62781742c68b68f8628229a98e7732e.ff93686db8ab37fe7ce976f82e8a2309.1600.jpg

the lack of the need for space for a discrete gpu saves a lot of space. The biggest component in the SX will be the PSU.

you can run a 2080 ti and a 9900k in a case as small or smaller than above.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Anyone here think that some of the testing from June/July was specific for yield? Is it possible they have spinned since then, and have better yield for 40cu without needing to disable 6 cu's?

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Making a video and making sure it is right, takes time of course.
Oh I wasn't complaining about the DF video. The DF video is good and informative. I just meant that the other thread is seeing this info for the first time it seems, so they are having a similar discussion that we already had.

TLT GAMING

Apr 9, 2018
Sony ninjas got things on lock.

Saving the 13TF of comfy couch goodness announcement for February.

...and you expect this 13TF PS5 to be cheaper than the Series X or the same price? The series X is being sold as a premium product with an assumed premium price. So Sony would have to match the price of a premium console or sell at a huge loss from day one.

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
...and you expect this 13TF PS5 to be cheaper than the Series X or the same price? The series X is being sold as a premium product with an assumed premium price. So Sony would have to match the price of a premium console or sell at a huge loss from day one.
I'm expecting $499 for both.

Sony will have a slightly faster GPU. MS a slightly faster CPU. Sony will have a faster SSD. Pretty much a wash overall.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
I remember sony saying something to the effect that it would be more than the PS4.

And Cerny saying that it would still be a good value for all the hardware it has.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
it it really much smaller than this:

58772.a62781742c68b68f8628229a98e7732e.ff93686db8ab37fe7ce976f82e8a2309.1600.jpg

the lack of the need for space for a discrete gpu saves a lot of space. The biggest component in the SX will be the PSU.

you can run a 2080 ti and a 9900k in a case as small or smaller than above.

It is about the same height/width but half the depth. So less than half the volume of the EVGA case. A typical spec 2080Ti+ OC 9900k system is ~300W too.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i think both are $499 consoles, but with the possible power delta of ~3 TF, sony may have to eat it to market at $399, something MS won't be able to do (and won't really need to because of lockhart). aint no way xsx is 599, especially if lockhart is at least a year away.

Oct 25, 2017
did you see how we treated Tom Warren, Kleegamefan and even Matt who is an actual mod on this board?

unless we become tolerant of the views and opinions of other posters, this place is simply not suited for people who put themselves out there with leaks and other industry info.

Exactly. In no way would I suggest an insider/media type join this site.

I don't think that leak has the final ps5 specs but the reaction(and condescending arrogance) is embarrassing

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Hmm... Schreier especially has been right about a lot. Matt's recent comments would suggest the leak doesn't say anything about the final hardware.

If the leak isn't representative of the final CU count, do you have any theory as to what else it could be?
If this leak is not about final cu count then I think it would mean exactly what Rich said - that AMD made an apu and just tossed it in the bin.

Status
Not open for further replies.