• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
One thing I don't get is how can lockhart be $299 or less and be better than X1X which debuted at $500? Or is it not expected to be?

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
The data from the GitHub repo is most probably legit as stated earlier, but I have a feeling that Oberon is not what will be in PS5, but that the data from the Oberon tests will be part of the PS5 and live within another fuller chip.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Concerted effort based on fans attempting to undermine numbers because they don't point to an outcome deemed desirable.

Alternatively, a concerted effort based on fans attempting to underline numbers, because they point to an outcome deemed desirable.

Both sides are quilty of the same.

I just hope, that if the information turns out to not portray the final product, or if the competitor turns out to be around the same ballpark in RDNA flops, there'll be admittances of being wrong, apologies to insiders who were right after all, and call-outs on execs misleading, like it was with the supposed lack of hardware RT on PS5.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
One thing I don't get is how can lockhart be $299 or less and be better than X1X which debuted at $500? Or is it not expected to be?

Advances in tech and production costs maybe? Or maybe MS is going to eat a larger loss on Lockhart and make up for it with Anaconda?

But yeah, I think it's just speculation right now on what the possible price of Lockhart would be.

So we've gone from possibly 12-13tf down to possibly 9? Is that the current rumor? Or just speculation?
12-13 for PS5 down to 9 and that's now been debunked as no longer applicable so we're free to return to 12-13 TF

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Alternatively, a concerted effort based on fans attempting to underline numbers, because they point to an outcome deemed desirable.

Both sides are quilty of the same.

I just hope, that if the information turns out to not portray the final product, or if the competitor turns out to be around the same ballpark in RDNA flops, there'll be admittances of being wrong, apologies to insiders who were right after all, and call-outs on execs misleading, like it was with the supposed lack of hardware RT on PS5.

Great post.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
This is a heck of a 1080p console at $299

www.resetera.com

Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread |OT8| - The Dark Tower (See Staff Post)

Just want to calibrate expectations based on last gen. When the PS4 / XB1 launched the top of the line AMD gpu was the 290x at ~5.6 teraflops. XB1 was 23.3% of that PS4 was 32.9% of that. When the PS5 / Xsx launches, I expect the top of the line AMD GPU to be 16.4 TF. This time around we're...

Masyer89

Dec 9, 2019
Yeah if Sony has the balls to go the vastly cheaper yet adequately performant route, then they'll definitely be successful in transitioning their customers over at a much faster rate than MS will.

MS seems to think, or at least acts as if, the Xbox One only lost because it was weaker. No, they lost because it was more expensive; and they made people believe there would be no used games because "you can't just flip a switch."

I will say this, however... Sony really needs a Forza Horizon killer like yesterday. Forza Horizon is a system seller and will be doubly so with the hardware advantage.

Correction Microsoft was more money with less power with trying to release system with kinect non operational camera right after crazy us whistleblower talking sbout government spying on citizens many factors went into having Microsoft dig themselves out of a hole. Wierd one wasnt games as they had alot of launch exclusives.

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
If it's not RDNA2 then what was Warren referencing when he hinted that there was a reason devkits were behind?

Call me a skeptic but something smells like old tilapia
IMO both Sony and MS will be using custom RDNA and will be very similar in power and features.

I believe Sony was just ahead in distributing devkit. MS was slightly behind Sony but going according to their own schedule. The whole MS was late in distributing devkit because they want to surprise Sony either with RDNA 2 or something thing else always seemed unrealistic.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
it will be a matter of time before it's going crazy again....xD

pepole never learn at all

Even if Sony reveals rue specs during PS Meeting and they are beyond expectations, and then next-gen trailers and demos follows, people will still be crazy and some will find a way to doubt all of those like always. XD
This next-gen effect and trend and it won't change. Now it became even stronger.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
|OT 9| It's. A. Toy.

Perfect. You've got my vote come poll time!

I think it's safe to say I could enjoy a great game on anything in the plausible range for the coming generation. For that matter, one of the games I'm most excited about for next year is coming on a 1TF system. Sure, there's something to be said for raw potential but at the end of the day I trust both Microsoft and Sony will put together solid systems within similar technical and economic constraints. They'll both have plenty of potential.

I also know that historically there's little or no correlation between how much fun I've had playing games and the relative "power" rankings of the system I was playing on when comparing contemporary systems.

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
So what are your thoughts on the theory that this Github Oberon unit was actually an early low speed devkit like the one Cerny used when first speaking to Wired?
Would 't it be unreasonable to expect any console to be 2GHz+ As what you are saying means 2GHz is the low speed. It would probably be 1/2 the price to just increase CU count instead of paying such premium on case+cooling+psu

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Thus the question it was rumored that it was supposed to be in RDNA1 but was delayed so I'm just wondering if it was added onto RDNA1 on the consoles as they had more time to bake so to speak.
Any links to that rumor? Pretty sure RT wasn't planned for rdna1 as rdna1 itself was fast tracked to market. The various fixes supposedly coming with navi12 that were omitted in navi10 give that idea some legs.

Possum

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I'm glad to see we've moved pass thinking the Github leak was confirmation of anything.

Team 14TF back in action.

The github leaks are legitimate.

I think what Matt was saying was that the github leaks do not 100% confirm either way what the PS5 will be.

But considering when the tests were done, it's a fair assumption to then assume that unless major overhauls happen (which don't seem likely) the GitHub info is accurate.

Until we get any actual information stating other wise that's what makes sense.

The test results repo is legit and I got confirmation.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Would 't it be unreasonable to expect any console to be 2GHz+ As what you are saying means 2GHz is the low speed. It would probably be 1/2 the price to just increase CU count instead of paying such premium on case+cooling+psu

Not specifically clock speed as the "low speed devkit". The theory goes that for the "early low speed devit" Sony would have needed some hardware from AMD to put it out. Well the figures for the Github leak apparently match a 5700 card, so it's quite possible that AMD used early 5700 chips for the low speed devkits and clocked them higher to 2 GHz to squeeze out some more performance. This is what was used during the first Wired article and I'm guessing for the Github tests (or something similar to it). This explains why people at GDC were hearing 9.2 TF for the PS5 because that's what the devkit up until that point was capable of reaching. After GDC Sony shipped out devkits using the newer V shaped design and since then we've been hearing about figures higher than 9.2 TF and higher than 10 TF for the PS5 from insiders.

Welp, that's the theory at least :)

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
And even with that The Order 1886 still lacks a really tiny detailed skin compared to cutscenes. Just really slight.
AFAIK Death Stranding is the only game for now to not lose any detail from cutscenes to gameplay and DF highlighted it. No wonder it won the best graphics of 2019.
Can't believe I forgot about Death Stranding. I put 100+ hours into it too. But yeah, it looks incredible. Character models and environments are crazy impressive, as are the fluid effects. Hope to see even more of that in the next Horizon.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
The test results repository could be legitimate, but it doesn't confirm anything apart from the test results for said chips. But who knows what those are for if anything anymore.

Deleted member 62280

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 18, 2019
Any links to that rumor? Pretty sure RT wasn't planned for rdna1 as rdna1 itself was fast tracked to market. The various fixes supposedly coming with navi12 that were omitted in navi10 give that idea some legs.
The only thing I found in between playing Witcher 3 (sorry) is a article from around E3 speculating that 5000 series cards could still have RT according to Lisa Su. I may be miss reading that however.

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
The test results repository could be legitimate, but it doesn't confirm anything apart from the test results for said chips. But who knows what those are for if anything anymore.
Yep. Oberon lacking RT makes it unlikely to be the 2020 PS5 chip.

I take Matt's comment as confirmation that there is still yet more to be uncovered. Just glad that the battle of github is coming to a close...

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Advances in tech and production costs maybe? Or maybe MS is going to eat a larger loss on Lockhart and make up for it with Anaconda?

But yeah, I think it's just speculation right now on what the possible price of Lockhart would be.

12-13 for PS5 down to 9 and that's now been debunked as no longer applicable so we're free to return to 12-13 TF

It was never debunked

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've finally caught up with this godamn thread and I've never been more confused in my entire life.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Debunked in the sense that it's not necessarily applicable to the final PS5 we'll get. Before Matt's post a lot were acting as though the PS5 was going to wind up being 9.2 TF. That is no longer a guarantee.
It never even made proper sense but what else were we going to talk about for days?

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
User banned (1 month): trolling, inappropriate commentary, and a long history of infractions for similar behaviour
PS5 specs

15tf rdna
100gb gddr9
10tb sdd

in practice 90x faster than the og ps4

Literally gets to know you with bleeding edge AI tech. You become actual fiends.

There is a V on the final hardware. A soft, synthetic v***na right in between.

the PlayStation will ask you to f**k it.

those are my last predictions until feb

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't it entirely reasonable to think those GitHub leaks were tests for how BC would function on the RDNA arch, and the chip was clocked as high as it was (2Ghz) to simulated as close to the performance of the actual PS5 chip as possible?

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
I think hmqgg was saying XSX>PS5 based on the same/similar info as the github stuff.

I'm still sticking with PS5 being ~13TF and slightly more powerful.

Jun 23, 2019
|OT 9| It's. A. Toy.

This is the winner. I leave for a few hours to watch football and come back to this hot mess. Firstly, to any of you who was disrespectful to Matt or took his words out of context, shame on you seriously. This is about video games and the moment you hear something you don't likeC you start shitting yourselves in anger. Grow up.

Secondly, nobody is debating the validity of the GitHub info. It's obvious it's true or else it wouldn't have been deleted and Rogame, etc. wouldn't have deleted their tweets. What Matt is saying is that despite having this information, none of it confirms anything about PS5, kid that the testing for these things were done.Someone was in here trying to say that Matt and others were having some concerted effort to downplay the info. Like really? We all started to calm down and the moment Matt says the GitHub info is not confirmation, everyone started questioning him all of a sudden. Some of you are super transparent and need to quit it.

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
I think hmqgg was saying XSX>PS5 based on the same/similar info as the github stuff.

I'm still sticking with PS5 being ~13TF and slightly more powerful.

Isn't it entirely reasonable to think those GitHub leaks were tests for how BC would function on the RDNA arch, and the chip was clocked as high as it was (2Ghz) to simulated as close to the performance of the actual PS5 chip as possible?
It's possible, multiple posters have forwarded this idea.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

That is what some of us were saying .
Sony need hardware to test BC so they over clock a RX 5700 until the get better hardware .
Also for dev kits.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 specs

15tf rdna
100gb gddr9
10tb sdd

in practice 90x faster than the og ps4

Literally gets to know you with bleeding edge AI tech. You become actual fiends.

There is a V on the final hardware. A soft, synthetic v***na right in between.

the PlayStation will ask you to f**k it.

those are my last predictions until feb
fyi, some dude got banned for mocking predictions like this last week.

I'm just happy for my man AegonSnake ... almost had to pour one out for my man's 14 TFLOPS dreams. #LongLiveTheDream
source.gif

Oct 31, 2017
I never believed the 9.2TF rumor, it contradicted what Klee and Jason Schrier were saying for a while, and the lack of hardware RT (already confirmed by Mark Cerny) was a huge red flag for me.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Solid post given how people have always had such lofty expectations prior to next generation launches. My only complaint with Xbox being that much lower would be that they shouldn't have let the 12 TF rumor be carried by multiple sources if it is some goofy GCN translation downward thing.

I don't particularly expect Series X to be 9 given the form factor Microsoft are going with. The One X shows MS has the engineering chops to put lots of shit in a small form factor.

Which would suggest that using a PC tower most likely means they're going balls to the wall.

But in the end, it seems somewhat futile to focus of teraflops? Given we have a native 4K box we can go out and buy right now, I don't understand why more and more and more teraflops will matter much.

What's been holding these consoles back for the last 6 years? The CPU. That's where the excitement and focus should lie. Given both will allegedly have the same one, then we're effectively getting 2 of the same box for all intents and purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.