• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Too many people here setting themselves up for disappointment.

Understand that even if both these consoles wind up as 9TF boxes, when paired with the new CPUs, SSDs and all the other goodies they'll be amazing boxes.

Anything more is a bonus. If you look at 2013, we're getting a MASSIVE leap even at 9.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Theres been about 30 pages of folks attempting to outright discount the data as if it's meaningless. That's a lot of individual effort over a "toy".

You even took a jab at the data yourself a few pages back.

What I said was absolutely true. And honestly I can't imagine why my comment made you have such an outburst but it wasn't necessary to respond in that manner.

Concerted implies some sort of plan or coordination. This thread is plenty of proof that no one can get along when teraflops are involved. What you saw was 30 pages of individuals each asking questions and speculating what it all means - in a thread about discussing and speculating.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
That sounds pricey as well though. I thought Sony said they wanted to transition players from PS4 to PS5 quickly. If the 5 is pricey, they won't accomplish that goal. For the record, I prefer they push the tech as far as they can...so I am happy if it is high-end/pricey because that means we will not get something that is outdated almost at release (like the CPU in both consoles).

The whole thing about transitioning customers at an unprecedented rate could play out in any number of ways. Launch customers are mostly going to be the hardcore crowd so the vast majority of them won't care as much if it's 400 or 500 dollars. There are a lot of factors that could make that statement true:

- Supply. If they have more units available at launch and in the first year than and previous console then they have the opportunity to sell more units. Afterall, you can't sell at an unprecedented rate if you don't have units to sell.
- Games. If they have sequels for God of War or Spider-Man or Horizon in the first year that will prompt a HUGE influx of customers who want to play those games as all of their PS4 variants are 10 million+ sellers
- China. The PS4 wasn't sold in China until January 2015 due to the ban the country had. If the PS5 can launch day 1 in China that opens them up to a massive market they previously weren't able to sell to at launch
- Backwards Compatibility. In the last year of the PS4 they're launching Death Stranding, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima as major AAA exclusives. There will be gamers who want to experience the best version of those games on the PS5. Not to mention if the PS5 offers some form of general BC that'll entire more people to jump on board. If it can play older gen console games like PS1 to 3 that's even more incentive to jump on board

Just off the top of my head I think they've got a lot of avenues to entice people to jump on board at a record pace despite the price. At $500 the PS5 will sell out regardless, that's not even up for debate IMO. If they can keep stocking enough units and give people enough reasons to jump on board then they'll set records.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
Concerted implies some sort of plan or coordination. This thread is plenty of proof that no one can get along when teraflops are involved. What you saw was 30 pages of individuals each asking questions and speculating what it all means - in a thread about discussing and speculating.

Concerted effort based on fans attempting to undermine numbers because they don't point to an outcome deemed desirable.

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

OMG that brings back memories and also answers some questions. I was always wondering why they were modeling a car when they (just? don't remember. It was either ending 2005 or begin 2006) released Killzone. I saw that exact red car model when i was invited to visit Guerilla Games.

If people are interested in the story behind how i got to meet Hermen Hulst and got to visit Guerilla Games. I will gladly tell about it and what my experience was visiting and interacting with Hermen Hulst and the people behind Kilzone.

Deleted member 19767

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Understand that even if both these consoles wind up as 9TF boxes, when paired with the new CPUs, SSDs and all the other goodies they'll be amazing boxes.

Anything more is a bonus. If you look at 2013, we're getting a MASSIVE leap even at 9.

I can agree with this. Expectations are through the roof for both Sony and MS. One will have a more powerful box than the other. Both will look incredible.
I think the talk of 12+ TF is bound to disappoint at this rate.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

It's fine if you wish to personally predict more conservative specs for the next gen consoles, but I'm not sure why you feel the need to rain on the parade of those who wish to go higher with their predictions. Especially when there's more than enough evidence to suggest higher specs are going to happen.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
hmq.jpg

🤣🤣🤣

Deleted member 19767

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Concerted effort based on fans attempting to undermine numbers because they don't point to an outcome deemed desirable.

I think you're seeing or assuming the worst.

There were legitimate reasons to question the numbers. Both with regards to dates/timing, but also with respect to what we've been told by multiple insiders so far - that is, both consoles are very close.

That's not undermining. That's discussion and speculation.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

Yup. It's sad to see people stuck in the Teraflop war mindset. We're getting excellent boxes this time.

I can't wait to play games like Destiny and not stare at loading screens all the time.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017

Solid post given how people have always had such lofty expectations prior to next generation launches. My only complaint with Xbox being that much lower would be that they shouldn't have let the 12 TF rumor be carried by multiple sources if it is some goofy GCN translation downward thing.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Solid post given how people have always had such lofty expectations prior to next generation launches. My only complaint with Xbox being that much lower would be that they shouldn't have let the 12 TF rumor be carried by multiple sources if it is some goofy GCN translation downward thing.
Agreed, no way phill is going to set himself up for that kind of blowback. He's likely not allowed to say the TFs until AMD reveals its big cards.

Aug 26, 2019
If it's not RDNA2 then what was Warren referencing when he hinted that there was a reason devkits were behind?

Call me a skeptic but something smells like old tilapia

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Antagonizing another member; history of antagonistic behavior
If it's not RDNA2 then what was Warren referencing when he hinted that there was a reason devkits were behind?

All those people are nothing more than silly fanboys and are no different than the worst of them like that timedog fellow

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
oh shit I missed that lol! C'mon people understand that these companies have to build for cheap so many sacrifices will be needed and they will not give you a high end PC for $499 even if they try to convince you the will.

I was on that train momentarily because I thought it was cheaper and more feasible for 56CUs.
Arden has HW RT and VRS from next gen RDNA, the two things that differentiates itself from Navi 10. Maybe RDNA2 has more features over Arden.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't see why it matter if it is RDNA 1 or 2 or what ever .
Once again MS and Sony will take what the want and customize the GPUs for there needs .
It won't fit in AMD time line so it should not matter .

If they do mid gen consoles it will be the same again .

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017

I like Tom, but its somewhat obvious that his sources are MS employees. They are really happy with and confident in the series x (and they should be)

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
AMD actually planned RayTracing support for RDNA1 on one of their slide. Some kind of software Raytracing for select effects. Microsoft was probably going to use "DirectX RayTracing" in their PR and maybe changed their mind after the Wired interview and began to call it "hardware accelerated RT".

In the end everything is accelerated by some kind of hardware so their reasoning is sound.
AMD-RDNA-GPU-Architecture-For-Navi-Radeon-RX-5700-Series_11.jpg
This?

Deleted member 62280

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
Yeah it's funny pages of post declaring that MS confirmed RDNA2 just like they confirmed 12TF.

Can't wait till we just get official spec sheets or 3rd party SOC testing after release. There speculation threads are always crazy.
As Kreten pointed our in that slide Next Gen RDNA or RDNA 1 was supposed to have HWRT so could it be that is what is being implied by both MS and AMD?

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I love how not a single person in the know is willing to even touch on the Github info and how it relates to PS5. No one is willing to touch it because of all the attention it would bring LOL

anyone can fill me in on this?

what info?

Edit: nvm figured it was the old stuff that made this place go crazy

Last edited:

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
No difference between gameplay and cinematic would be great. The only big current gen game I can think of at the moment that looks the same in both is The Order. I seriously couldn't spot a difference.

And even with that The Order 1886 still lacks a really tiny detailed skin compared to cutscenes. Just really slight.
AFAIK Death Stranding is the only game for now to not lose any detail from cutscenes to gameplay and DF highlighted it. No wonder it won the best graphics of 2019.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'll be made my predictions in the past so I'll just update them since the reveal is around what I predicted in March this year, Lockhart not so much:

No chiplets this time!

Xbox Series S:
8 core Zen at ~3.4 ghz, 16 threads, 7nm+
12GB of GDDR6 on 192-bit bus, 330gb/s, 3GB reserved for OS
24 CU at 1400 mhz, 4 teraflops,
1TB SSD at 2+GB/s
$299

XBOX Series X:
8 core Zen at 3.6 ghz, 16 threads, 7nm+
20GB of GDDR6 on 320-bit bus, 640gb/s, 4GB reserved for OS, 1GB extra for full 8k buffer for OS.
60 CU at 1600 mhz, 12.3 teraflops, 7nm+
1TB SSD at 2+GB/s
$499

PS5 prediction from May adjusted with Komachis leaks and other deductions:

8 core zen 3.2+ ghz
16GB GB GDDR6, ~500GB/s 2-3GB reserved for OS
4GB DDR4, 2GB for OS, 2GB for SSD Cache
Navi GPU 36CU, 64 ROPS at 2-2.15ghz, 9.2-9.9 TF
1 TB SSD at 4+GB/s
$399

Eating crow for jumping on the 7nm+/RDNA2 train.

Updated Xss and Xsx using info from the test leaks.

Xbox Series S:
8 core Zen at ~3.4 ghz, 16 threads, 7nm
28 CU at 1400 mhz, 5 teraflops,
1TB SSD at 2+GB/s
$299

XBOX Series X:
8 core Zen at 3.6 ghz, 16 threads, 7nm
20GB of GDDR6 on 320-bit bus, 640gb/s, 4GB total reserved for OS. 1GB extra for full 8k buffer for OS. 16GB for games.
56 CU at 1700 mhz, 12.2 teraflops, 7nm
1TB SSD at 2+GB/s
$499

sam1278

Dec 21, 2019

Xbox Series S:
1TB SSD at 2+GB/s
$299

XBOX Series X:
20GB of GDDR6 on 320-bit bus, 640gb/s, 4GB total reserved for OS. 1GB extra for full 8k buffer for OS. 16GB for games.
1TB SSD at 2+GB/s
$499
What would be your best guess for the ps5?

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017

Xbox Series S:
1TB SSD at 2+GB/s
$299

XBOX Series X:
1TB SSD at 2+GB/s
$499
Is the 20GB just hopeful thinking or has something changed recently?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I need to do this proper so it gets put on the list...

|OT9| F*ck it, I'm not reading another 30 pages tonight...

Status
Not open for further replies.