• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo
Resetera is hungry for anything:
I8texJz.gif

LOL
this thread right Now

tenor.gif
Not just right now... It's moving too fast lol

DeadlyVirus

Oct 29, 2017
I think that PS5 can afford to be less powerful than XSX. These should be its main marketing points:

- An all new Dualshock 5 controller with haptic feedback
- "Lightning-fast" storage and a very powerful CPU
- Exclusives from the likes of ND, SSM, Insomniac etc.

If I'm Sony, I'm really playing up that last bullet point. That's their most powerful asset.
I think BC is also going to be a huge part of their marketing points

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Actually Matt Booty has said that to Bloomberg.
"It will absolutely be the most powerful, immersive console on the market,"

And there was Sony job advertisement that claimed the PS5 will be the fastest or some such https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/ps5-worlds-fastest-console/

Given the more guarded language from both since, I don't think rhetoric is necessarily a good indicator at the moment.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I think that PS5 can afford to be less powerful than XSX. These should be its main marketing points:

If I'm Sony, I'm really playing up that last bullet point. That's their most powerful asset.
To your 3rd point I agree but competition the start of this gen is a thousand times tougher for sony. They need to pick up the pace if their output. Is 1 GoW or Lou or HZD per gen enough to keep up the interest of staying invested in an ecosystem for 7 or so years?

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
Not in those words, just the most powerful Xbox they've ever made.

Maybe they're waiting to see PS5's specs before committing to advertising as the most powerful console.
Or the most logical, they know PS5 is more powerful.

Even a dev here said everyone already knows target specs for both console.

Oberon 36cu 2ghz info was found out by komachi long ago. We knew most likely MS too, yet they didn't gave exact 12TF numbers. This tells me MS knows PS5 is more powerful and not 9.2TF.

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017

I think if PS5 ends up $100 cheaper(than XSX) and more powerful than Lockhart that and it's brand power will be it's biggest selling points.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or the most logical, they know PS5 is more powerful.

Even a dev here said everyone already knows target specs for both console.

Oberon 36cu 2ghz info was found out by komachi long ago. We knew most likely MS too, yet they didn't gave exact 12TF numbers. This tells me MS knows PS5 is more powerful and not 9.2TF.

I still can't see PS5 being more powerful but it would be quite a dramatic way to end all this speculation if it was.

Aug 26, 2019
To your 3rd point I agree but competition the start of this gen is a thousand times tougher for sony. They need to pick up the pace if their output. Is 1 GoW or Lou or HZD per gen enough to keep up the interest of staying invested in an ecosystem for 7 or so years?
I think that they're going to show their hand a bit at the PS5 reveal or E3 2020. What's coming 2-3 years down the line, so people decide to go with PlayStation.

They sealed the deal on current-gen at E3 2016 when they showed games that weren't coming for years. It worked then and it'll work in 2020.

Earthed

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Were you absent when they purchased Insomniac? I think they'll be fine with them in their pocket.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't see PS5 being more powerful but it would be quite a dramatic way to end all this speculation if it was.

You don't need PS5 to be more powerful for drama if PS5 comes over 9.2 there will be loads of it .
Truth is if Sony comes in 11TF and MS 12 TF the GPU could be a wash depending on clock speeds.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

See I really don't think so. The games MS are going to be offering aren't really in direct competition with what Sony has been successful at. With the exception of perhaps Ninja Theory. Sony isn't in the CRPG business, nor are they really in the FPS business for the most part. Those are two avenues that MS are pursuing heavily.

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
See I really don't think so. The games MS are going to be offering aren't really in direct competition with what Sony has been successful at. With the exception of perhaps Ninja Theory. Sony isn't in the CRPG business, nor are they really in the FPS business for the most part. Those are two avenues that MS are pursuing heavily.
After all of those acquisitions that MS made they need to be.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Think Sony splitting both MS consoles might be the smart thing to do. A 9tf machine at $399 could do very well.

The difference will probably be similar to the Pro vs X; 4K vs 1440p checkerboard to 4K (which worked well before). Couple that with a faster SSD and the same CPU, and it will be a pretty decent machine.

Their devs can out develop MS's first party games, and the third party games will have a difference that maybe the average Joe won't care about.

Release a Pro version 3 years into the generation and this could be a very clever idea.

Deleted member 61179

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
DF telling people "you should get this game on Xbox if you can" for nearly every game is definitely a losing/winning thing. Youtubers picking XSX as their main console that they play/stream from because it is the most powerful is also definitely a losing/winning thing. The halo effects of a higher end product are real.

They may not do much in the middle of a gen when market momentum is already under way, but the start of a generation is another story — especially with MS' subsidisation of game pass. Top billing hardware wise and $/£/€1 per month offers for game pass are going to go further than Sony hope will they will.
Only a sith deals in absolutes ;)
You probably mean DF will say that the best version is on xsx, cause lockhart exists.
I dont think that a resolution gate will be in the same magnitude as in the xboxone/ps4 launch period. The xsx will not be 100$ dollars cheaper than ps5.
How long is 1$ gamepass sustainable? At one point ms needs to charge full price, otherwise people will get to accostomed to wait for one dollar deals and stacking up for years in advance.

Anyway i cant wait for the first DF comparison!
Probably a 2million+ views and trending video

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
You really underestimate how important Spider-Man will be

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

I am hoping fir this tbh. Ps3 being more powerful was a disaster for sony with what it took. And ps4 being more powerful was just a fluke of ms being intentionally conservative.

Sony should double down on investing in games and value proposition to get into more homes rather than playing a power game ms is thirsty to win.

At the end of the day both ps5 and series x will be well worth it as next gen machines coming from base ps4 and xb1..and in addition..lockhart by default will ball and chain a lot of the potential of things to start with

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Oh no its insanely important but 1 per gen is a lot to stretch out over 7 plus years (maybe longer with mid gen refresh)
Lol why would they make only 1? Insomniac is very efficient and they released a shitton of games this gen, now that they have the importantly parts of Spider-Man figured out we'll easily get at least 2 from them, same goes for GoW and Horizon.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Console wars, repeated history of similar behaviour
I hope PS is less powerful, just for them to make games that still look better haha.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
Is there a particular reason you are ignoring efficiency improvements between the two architectures?

And the second quote of mine that you replied to, if a TF is a TF, then surely it doesn't matter if I say it's 12TF RDNA or 12TF GCN. After all, the RDNA or GCN qualifier is irrelevant no? Which is it?

5700XT RDNA : TF count

Vega 64 GCN : TF Count

People don't understand that firstly, TF depend on the FP, 16, 32 or 64. Here we are all talking about only FP32.
Then GCN =/= RDNA

So of course we don't care 1TF = 1TF but you don't get 5700 XT performance with Vega 64. 5700 XT > Vega 64 even with less TF.

"Do the math" with only FP32 isn't right enough. We should do with all theorical performance. And it's too complicated, Phil was certainly talking about real performance, not theorical. That's why he said Richard from DF did a good job. Because Richard found that "2x One X real performance" is something like a 9/10TF RDNA card.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I am hoping fir this tbh. Ps3 being more powerful was a disaster for sony with what it took. And ps4 being more powerful was just a fluke of ms being intentionally conservative.

Sony should double down on investing in games and value proposition to get into more homes rather than playing a power game ms is thirsty to win.

At the end of the day both ps5 and series x will be well worth it as next gen machines coming from base ps4 and xb1..and in addition..lockhart by default will ball and chain a lot of the potential of things to start with
The ps3 problem was anything but power. It was hard to develop for the cell processor, launched a year later and at 600 dollars....

Earthed

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Oh no its insanely important but 1 per gen is a lot to stretch out over 7 plus years (maybe longer with mid gen refresh)
I think that you're also forgetting that Guerilla, Sucker Punch and SSM were all making something new too. Foundations were laid in this gen, and the sequel to all of these games should come in shorter order. I think we'll almost definitely see a sequel to all those respective franchises, and another game beside that from all these studios next gen. And that's not to speak of the 9 other studios they have under their wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.