• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
For clocks, sure. It's too late in the process for silicon changes.
I think changes could have been happening already 6+ months ago when these were being tested. This is not current.

Maybe a pspro down the line? I doubt it I think these consoles are 5 years max 5mm will dictate that
Could be.

im saying its ps5s final form... but im also saying series x is based on the same shtick.
For me, it is clear that XSX is on 7nm+ at 12 TF RDNA2 equivalent. That potential PS5 GPU from 6 months ago - 9.2 RDNA 1.

Sams88

Oct 9, 2019
Not shit, just not amazing.
I have a ps4 and pro that show me what I can expect from a $399 machine.
That makes no sense.

These new machines will be the biggest leap since PS2 to PS3. This gen CPU & HDD tech basically stood still. The fact MS think 4TF Lockhart can deliver their next-gen titles tell's us these are the areas that will define next-gen.

There's no need for resolutions above 4K. Plus devs are increasingly going for reconstruction techniques over native resolutions.

Plus there's the small matter those $399 machines referenced have given us groundbreaking titles. So much so a number where claimed to be next-gen when revealed.
Percentages mean a lot more as the numbers increase.

it's like saying $1 and $2 are as close and $1,000,000 and $2,000,000. Based in percentages those two numbers are equally close. When it comes to real world application of resources, not so much.

I think when people say that 9tf and 12tf are the closest they've ever been don't really understand how incredibly untrue that would be in practice.
In practice games built for the 12TF machine needs to work on their 4TF machine too. Same SKU, same game world, same player base & multiplayer.

MS 1st party titles are being made with that 4TF baseline in mind. PS5 1st party titles are being made with a 9TF+ baseline.

3rd party titles (in an ideal world) will use the 4TF Lockhart baseline. In reality we probably still have a few years of cross-gen support.

As with high end PC's running console ports. Once you max out resolution and frame rate. There isn't really anywhere to go unless you up that baseline like Crysis did back in the day.

Last edited:

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think that this is the correct take. If it's higher, you're pleasantly surprised. If it is what it is, you're not disappointed. If it's lower, then somebody messed up.

Yeah lower can't happen I don't think... probably.

5f0.gif

Wordstar

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Putting and pulling a memo on public github makes people believe it's true. WTF.

people are seriously ready for next gen... they want you to put in in them at this point. Somewhat understandable. Just sad that the best game of the generation comes out in a year where everybody doesnt realy care anymore... haha

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
the difference is 1.8tf vs ~3tf. Assuming everything else equal I can absolutely see it.
It works in percentage terms.

Think about it, how you have to zoom and enhance to point out the considerable difference between RDR2 on a X1X vs a Pro, a 1.8TF difference. Yeah you can see it with the naked eye, but zooming still frames sure helps show what you're talking about.

Now, that same 1.8TF difference can be used to compare a base PS4 with a Gamecube. I don't think Digital Foundry videos at 300% zoom are necessary to test which looks better between these two, right?

Exact same raw power difference, but it is the relative percentages that differ in these scenarios. We will have a hell of a time spotting the difference between a 11TF and 12TF should such a situation arise. 9TF and 12TF yeah, should be something to see to the trained naked eye but it will be half the gap of a PS4 to Xbox One.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but there are a weird amount of people who seem to stake their wellbeing on the power of a console.

o.O

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Sony decides to rest on their laurels, they'll do so at the risk of losing some enthusiasts. They'll be fine either way, obviously, but I want them to aim just as high, because I'm willing to pay for it.
sony will be fine. but thats the problem. we need consumers to push back against complacency. just like they did with the wii u and xbox one.

whats going to happen is that sony will rely on their talented array of first party studios to release great looking games just like what nintendo did with the switch and no one is going to care about a gimped $399 console. the games will look to have a generational leap and masses will fall in line. sony will never lose japan or europe so they will be fine there. if they lose the u.s by a few million it wont really matter since they can make it up worldwide.

i hope there is a pushback similar to what we saw with ms in 2013 but i doubt that very much.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly some of this really starts to add up here when you consider that there were some 8 TF PS5 rumors at one point earlier, and in fact that was the general guess put forward by Albert Penello on here too. A more conservative clock for the reported 36 CU of between 1.7 GHz and 1.8 GHz is closer to that original 8 TF, and Sony has in fact been iterating on things with higher clock testing up to 2 GHz which is the 9.2 TF number now. It could be seen as trying to close the gap some on the more premium Xbox Series X offering in terms of performance, as this would be 30% raw TF difference now instead of 50% before.

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
If Sony's storage solution really is as spectacular as everyone has been hinting at (upwards of twice as fast as XSX), I can't see this thing being $399 even with a 9.2TF GPU. Someone else mentioned it earlier in the thread, but if people expect Lockhart to come in at $299 while having to cut the amount of RAM, disk drive, lower clocked CPU, and a worse GPU, I don't see how just a 3TF difference in GPU is enough to cut the price by $100, especially when Sony is likely leading in other areas of the specs.

Edit: Imo, It's likely that Sony just put more emphasis on speed whereas MS focused on GPU performance. I have a feeling both will launch at the same price.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but there are a weird amount of people who seem to stake their wellbeing on the power of a console.

o.O
you must be new to video game forums.

has anyone like Jason confirmed this info of 9.2tf?
no one has confirmed anything. which means no one knows the real ps5 specs. i said this when windows central leaked the specs, but if ms knew for certain that they were going to beat sony in raw tflops their cheerleaders at windowscentral and thurrot wouldve been screaming it off the top of their lungs. instead, they are playing it safe. even ms called it their most powerful xbox ever.

so if ms doesnt know then journos like jason schrier and tom warren dont know. klee is the only one with specs but leaking those would mean leaking his source.

no one knows what sony is cooking up.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
What if Sony aren resting on laurels And this is a 499 machine? And instead MS are making a 599 enthusiast only machine?
You're asking the wrong person, because I'd easily pay that too. 😊
Heck, I wouldn't mind if both aimed for $699! But they wouldn't sell...

If the insiders are right, and I still think and hope that they are, it'd probably mark the first time ever that 2 consoles basically launch to identical specs.

That'd mean the quality of the content, the games themselves (as usual), would be the differentiating factor, moreso than ever before.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
rrod doesnt even have to come to mind... maybe sony is getting 7nm+ for next year and so the clocks can increase.

It's way too late for radical changes at this point. Let alone an Architecture change. This is likely close to the final specs. Heck, I'm still wondering if 9.2TF is even possible. Sony must either have a very hot and loud Console form factor design or a PC tower design like MS to keep it cool.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
If Sony's storage solution really is as spectacular as everyone has been hinting at (upwards of twice as fast as XSX), I can't see this thing being $399 even with a 9.2TF GPU. Someone else mentioned it earlier in the thread, but if people expect Lockhart to come in at $299 while having to cut the amount of RAM, disk drive, lower clocked CPU, and a worse GPU, I don't see how just a 3TF difference in GPU is enough to cut the price by $100, especially when Sony is likely leading in other areas of the specs.

Edit: Imo, It's likely that Sony just put more emphasis on speed whereas MS focused on GPU performance. I have a feeling both will launch at the same price.
The premise behind sony's storage solution was that it would be cheaper for them to use.

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
Didnt Schreier say both were targeting above stadia in tflops. The most reliable journalist we have.

Wordstar

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Didnt Schreier say both were targeting above stadia in tflops. The most reliable journalist we have.
Stadia uses GCN technology... 9,2 tf navi is faster than stadia.... this whole teraflops discussion is realy upsetting at this point.
Not hard to see why at the beginning of the talks no one wanted to say anything about flops.

Jun 23, 2019

The interesting part about this is, while it is the holidays, nobody is talking about this. Outside of Rogame on Twitter, silence. I think we are about to hear some news from MS/Sony and all the insiders and journalists are on radio silence.

one

Nov 30, 2017
Honestly some of this really starts to add up here when you consider that there were some 8 TF PS5 rumors at one point earlier, and in fact that was the general guess put forward by Albert Penello on here too. A more conservative clock for the reported 36 CU of between 1.7 GHz and 1.8 GHz is closer to that original 8 TF, and Sony has in fact been iterating on things with higher clock testing up to 2 GHz which is the 9.2 TF number now.
Did Albert Penello say that or where did Sony say that?

one

Nov 30, 2017
The interesting part about this is, while it is the holidays, nobody is talking about this. Outside of Rogame on Twitter, silence. I think we are about to hear some news from MS/Sony and all the insiders and journalists are on radio silence.
They are quiet because, eh, they are in the holidays. Are you serious or joking?

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Stadia uses GCN technology... 9,2 tf navi is faster than stadia.... this whole teraflops discussion is realy upsetting at this point.
Not hard to see why at the beginning of the talks no one wanted to say anything about flops.

Only thing I see upsetting is how personally invested some people are in the tflop winner. If you are not personally invested in the winner, there is nothing to upset you. It's just digging up clues...and maybe facts. Considering this is a speculation thread, nothing out of line here...unless potential real facts dont belong in a speculation thread.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly some of this really starts to add up here when you consider that there were some 8 TF PS5 rumors at one point earlier, and in fact that was the general guess put forward by Albert Penello on here too. A more conservative clock for the reported 36 CU of between 1.7 GHz and 1.8 GHz is closer to that original 8 TF, and Sony has in fact been iterating on things with higher clock testing up to 2 GHz which is the 9.2 TF number now. It could be seen as trying to close the gap some on the more premium Xbox Series X offering in terms of performance, as this would be 30% raw TF difference now instead of 50% before.

1.8 ghz isnt conservative by any means. they have gone with narrow and fast because they didnt want to spend extra like ms did.

well, that and amd redesigning gcn only to strip away any advantage they couldve gotten from a 2x node shrink. a 36 cu polaris gpu wouldve been 116mm2. they couldve fit 72 polaris cu's in that space, but obviously couldnt and had to re architecture their entire lineup. what they ended up with was a gpu that was even bigger than the 36 cu polaris with 25% more performance at the same clocks.

i bet when cerny saw this he went wtf is this? lol all that work for 25% more performance on a 100% die node shrink? that plus lack of any hardware rt in these gigantic gpus left him no choice but to increase clocks by ungodly amount and now hes stuck with a high tdp gpu that wont even come close to his competition.

you really gotta wonder why they didnt go with 7nm+. they shouldve known rt wouldve made these gpus even bigger. a 300mm2 oberon is a massive gpu to have in a console. you add a zen2 and some gddr6 and its pushing over 250w.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
1.8 ghz isnt conservative by any means. they have gone with narrow and fast because they didnt want to spend extra like ms did.

well, that and amd redesigning gcn only to strip away any advantage they couldve gotten from a 2x node shrink. a 36 cu polaris gpu wouldve been 116mm2. they couldve fit 72 polaris cu's in that space, but obviously couldnt and had to re architecture their entire lineup. what they ended up with was a gpu that was even bigger than the 36 cu polaris with 25% more performance at the same clocks.

i bet when cerny saw this he went wtf is this? lol all that work for 25% more performance on a 100% die node shrink? that plus lack of any hardware rt in these gigantic gpus left him no choice but to increase clocks by ungodly amount and now hes stuck with a high tdp gpu that wont even come close to his competition.

you really gotta wonder why they didnt go with 7nm+. they shouldve known rt wouldve made these gpus even bigger. a 300mm2 oberon is a massive gpu to have in a console. you add a zen2 and some gddr6 and its pushing over 250w.

It won't come close in certain thing but others it will pass MS GPU in other thing.
Still the more TF is always the better .

This gif make no sense for that quote lol.
Tom is doing right thing by keeping his mouth shut with the way how things are .

Wordstar

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Only thing I see upsetting is how personally invested some people are in the tflop winner. If you are not personally invested in the winner, there is nothing to upset you. It's just digging up clues...and maybe facts. Considering this is a speculation thread, nothing out of line here...unless potential real facts dont belong in a speculation thread.

i find it upsetting how information is being put out. Like leaving a trail of bread crumbs. Saying things about the console architekture and thus not giving enough away to actually know anything. the outcome doesnt mean anything to me but i dont like being pulled around by the nose hairs.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
took them long enough. must be on their christmas break because this stuff leaked a full two days ago. komachi found this shit back in august. that poor amd engineer who shall not be named is probably getting fired in his christmas break.

them deleting it means its all true imo.
So basically PS5 is a 9TF machine?

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
i find it upsetting how information is being put out. Like leaving a trail of bread crumbs. Saying things about the console architekture and thus not giving enough away to actually know anything. the outcome doesnt mean anything to me but i dont like being pulled around by the nose hairs.

I'm not upset. Why are you upset? Could just ignore the leaks until theres something official and draped in fluff from megacorporations.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So basically PS5 is a 9TF machine?
if you believe these rumors then yes. and it will probably get downgraded below that because oberon was still in revision as late as november. 2.0 ghz will cause a massive tdp increase. like 50% for just a 10% performance increase.

if you believe klee, jason and other insiders then no. there is still hope.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Because it sucks... thats why, and im not talking about the leaks... im talking about the interviews of cerny and the outing of series x...

New tech toys is fun to speculate about. These consoles are going to be great for the money. Better than this gen. I'm having fun. Could do without people going at each other so hard in this thread though.

Status
Not open for further replies.