• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Wide and slow is a bigger and more expensive die. Wide and slow could also be hotter requiring a bigger investment in cooling. Not sure "easy" is the right characterization.

Going and 2Ghz would also be requiring a big investment in cooling .
I mean just look at AMD current cards and they not 2Ghz .
Also yields at that speed can also become a problem .

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Let me get this straight:

So the current story is that Sony is going to overclock a RX 5700 by 121% to just over 200W to land that 9.2 TF, but MS decided to go easy route wide and slow on newer arch....
You're forgetting that sony helped AMD create NAVI, supposedly, and are going with the older tech while MS gets the new tech, supposedly.

Be brutally honest for a moment with me.

Outside of console wars, what business/financial reason does Sony actually have for chasing the power crown? Honestly.

As opposed to just putting out a very very capable $400 box that plays all your PS4 games as well as PS5 games.
What reason does MS have to go after the crown? If your answer is that they need it to gain back market share, why can't sony's reason not be keep it or increase it further?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't think those cards were made for 2 GHz operation. They will die. I don't think we have all of the puzzle pieces yet.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
nothing has changed except for the fact that everything has changed.

we finally have CU counts of oberon and ariel. we have memory bandwidth. we have the ram count. ram type.

its a 36 cu gpu. 9 tflops.

klee said both are over 10 tflops. so things arent adding up, but its up to you to believe klee, jason and reiner or these leaks from github.

Man,

I have no clue to believe. I choose to believe that both companies understand what they are doing.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
User Banned (2 Days): Console wars
You're forgetting that sony helped AMD create NAVI, supposedly, and are going with the older tech while MS gets the new tech, supposedly.

What reason does MS have to go after the crown? If your answer is that they need it to gain back market share, why can't sony's reason not be keep it or increase it further?
Microsoft probably thinks they need the power crown because of what happened this gen. I hope they realize the problem was that for years all Xbox fans had to look forwards to was cancelled games and Sea of Thieves.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
Man,

I have no clue to believe. I choose to believe that both companies understand what they are doing.
Its a good attitude to have and honestly the correct one imo, There are no stupid people engineering consoles for these giant companies they know what they are doing and next gen all around is gonna be awesome i can feel it

Crazy_KiD_169

Jun 21, 2018
Let me get this straight:

So the current story is that Sony is going to overclock a RX 5700 by 121% to just over 200W to land that 9.2 TF, but MS decided to go easy route wide and slow on newer arch....
I really think if they were using a RX 5700 it was just a place holder dev kit trying to get as close a possible to target specs. Klee source told him that both console are using better gpus than the one currently out. Which makes complete sense since the current gpu doesn't even support RT.

Wordstar

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
People thinking... series X will be hitting 12 navi teraflops are just dillusional...
its going to be two 9-10 tf machines battling it out... wich equals 12-13 navi tfs.
Phil never spoke of navi teraflops... he just said 2 times the performance of One X

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Microsoft probably thinks they need the power crown because of what happened this gen. I hope they realize the problem was that for years all Xbox fans had to look forwards to was cancelled games and Sea of Thieves.
They have 15 studios, most with multiple teams, along with a massive 1st party publishing division. Yes, they are all in on games.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you tell me which doc this is? I have only see 448... but I don't think I have found Oberon B0 docs yet.
look in the arden folder.

yes, the arden that is supposedly the anaconda chip. how did oberon get in there? how can the same amd engineer be working on two next gen consoles?

is arden oberon's final form?

Jun 23, 2019
Man, I bet you several Sony people are reading this thread laughing at all the Chicken Little going on in here. So have you all come to the conclusion that PS5 is 9.2TF? No take backs?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I really think if they were using a RX 5700 it was just a place holder dev kit trying to get as close a possible to target specs. Klee source told him that both console are using better gpus than the one currently out. Which makes complete sense since the current gpu doesn't even support RT.
I know, but thats basically what Oberon is as far as we can tell by these test... an RDNA 1 Navi10 36CU clocked at 2 GHz with some improvements. Nothing about this is clear.

Wordstar

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
all this confusion is simply comming now because of the miscommunication of the phil spencer interviews about putting 12 terraflops out there. Yeah but hes talking 12 GCN teraflops.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I bet you several Sony people are reading this thread laughing at all the Chicken Little going on in here. So have you all come to the conclusion that PS5 is 9.2TF? No take backs?
I mean this a speculation thread. People are allowed to change minds. New information is presented. Things change. This isn't some winner take all fight to death.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't flute have a firestrike score of 20k+ rivalling an RTX 2080 when it was first revealed? If so that Oberon 9.2tf leaks not making a whole lot of sense.
not flute, gonzalo. gonzalo had the firestrike score of 20000 up. whatever that means.

i went through a bunch of firestrike benchmarks and found many rtx 2080 firestrike scores under 17000 when paired up the cpu equivalent of the flute cpu. i even found 17000 scores for the rtx 2080 when paired with the ryzen 3700x.

dont put too much stock into those scores. my rtx 2080 has an overall score of 21.5k but ive seen some 5700xt scores over 30,000.

but yes, gonzalo was 1.8 ghz gpu, a 10% better gpu would probably push it closer to my 21.5k score. doesnt mean they are the same.

Sams88

Oct 9, 2019
not really. i talked about all the stuff that GG had to cut from horizon just a couple of days ago. they had flying in. got cut. they had coop in at the very beginning but it got cut specifically because they couldnt get the game to look good with two players. it wasnt just a cpu limitation.

having a great cpu and ssd will help but its the graphics processor that has to render all the destruction, all those fast changing environments, all those npcs and of course whatever other sims they might have cooking up for next gen.

gpu is THE most important piece of the puzzle in any console. its the most expensive part for a reason. skimping on it just to hit a mass market price is not a reality of the console business. if it was, MS wouldnt be releasing a 12 tflops console. you cant use that excuse when your competitor has beaten you on specs.
The spec of a machine is determined by the target price point and individual customisations. Everyone is working with the same suppliers & margins.

Your points regarding the GPU don't stand upto scrutiny. MS's next-gen titles have to match the capabilities of the 4TF Lockhart base model. In reality that means lower resolution and (for example) 'Standard' vs 'Ultra' settings.

You won't have a diminished experience as the CPU & SSD will be doing the heavy lifting. Improved AI, destruction, larger (more interactive) game world's. Developers won't be GPU limited. 3rd party epics like RDR2 & Cyberpunk where built with base XB1 & PS4 in mind. Machines with under 2TF. Mid-gen refreshes only gave us a resolution boost and didn't have exclusive titles.

Next-gen that baseline will be Lockhart at 4TF. Then we have PS5 at 9TF+ and XSX at 12TF. Given PS5 & XSX will both target 4K/60. And given developer's are going for a filmic look, therefore more open to resolution reconstruction techniques. Your guess is a good as mine as to what perceivable differences there will be in retail titles.

I'd suggest by the time devs start to really push these machines. We'll be into the mid-gen upgrade cycle. Believe me, however much these machines cost upfront. Everyone will be cashing in with mid-gen upgrades 3-4 years down the line.

Deleted member 19767

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not having any technical knowledge at all, what are the odds of a dual gpu setup? As in, let's assume the Oberon specs are the PS5 GPU, tested all the way up to 2ghz.
The general consensus seems to be that this figure is very high and not realistic in a console (based on what we know at the moment).
So what does it look like if the clocks are much lower, but a dual gpu setup?
Are there ANY benefits at all in terms raw TFLOPS, heat, cost efficiency or ray tracing? Or is there no way Sony/MS move away from current APU approach?

Jun 23, 2019
I mean this a speculation thread. People are allowed to change minds. New information is presented. Things change. This isn't some winner take all fight to death.

Obviously. There's a difference between speculation and people steering conversation into one direction because they are so convinced that they know the answer when they don't know anything at all. Doesn't help when you have new posters coming in this thread all the time and people are chomping at the bit to tell them definitive info. It's muddling the conversation.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
not flute, gonzalo. gonzalo had the firestrike score of 20000 up. whatever that means.

i went through a bunch of firestrike benchmarks and found many rtx 2080 firestrike scores under 17000 when paired up the cpu equivalent of the flute cpu. i even found 17000 scores for the rtx 2080 when paired with the ryzen 3700x.

dont put too much stock into those scores. my rtx 2080 has an overall score of 21.5k but ive seen some 5700xt scores over 30,000.

but yes, gonzalo was 1.8 ghz gpu, a 10% better gpu would probably push it closer to my 21.5k score. doesnt mean they are the same.
ah okay, thanks for the clarification.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's where my guess is at the moment yes, only because I feel it's grounded and I won't be disappointed if it turns out to be true.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

yes, the arden that is supposedly the anaconda chip. how did oberon get in there? how can the same amd engineer be working on two next gen consoles?

Ok let me ask this since it was pointed out that Arden seems to have BC clocks for Xbox consoles. It was proposed that PS Now might not be utilizing PS5 hardware on Azure, what if Arden is a chip/whatever that's meant to be put in Azure and is meant to run Xbox and PlayStation games all on one package?

Possible?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

//Arden_COM_BC1_228_0617/case_Noini.csv

testname,func pass,perf pass,Noini
cs_buffer_load_32bit_c2_cacheswizzle0_half_channel_arden,PASS,,0
cs_buffer_store_32bit_c2_cacheswizzle0_half_channel_arden,PASS,,0
cs_2buffer_op_32bit_c2_cacheswizzle0_half_channel_arden,PASS,,0
ray_tracing_tri,PASS,PASS,0
vrs_2x2_512_4x,PASS,PASS,0

hqmgg has said its Xbox stuff but he doesn't know much about it.:

#7,244

#7,248

AegonSnake by the way, he shows this many projects:

[introduce]
project = (Arden, Mero, mi100, Navi10, NAVI12, Navi12, Navi14, NAVI14, Navi21, Oberon, Renoir, Sparkman)

Edit 2: this "Arden folder" was within another folder that it looked like he was sending to his supervisor on May 6

Last edited:

BOT Zé

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People thinking... series X will be hitting 12 navi teraflops are just dillusional...
its going to be two 9-10 tf machines battling it out... wich equals 12-13 navi tfs.
Phil never spoke of navi teraflops... he just said 2 times the performance of One X

It's okay, you are in the denial phase, don't worry, you'll get past that!

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
all this confusion is simply comming now because of the miscommunication of the phil spencer interviews about putting 12 terraflops out there. Yeah but hes talking 12 GCN teraflops.
It's a navi rdna2 machine, as stated on MS's own website. Why would they say anything about GCN tflops? It's a navi rdna machine, any tflops listed are navi rdna2 tflops ffs.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
I just don't think those cards were made for 2 GHz operation. They will die. I don't think we have all of the puzzle pieces yet.
Big Navi gpus might go to that length. We just have to wait for ces. I think big Navi can handle 2ghz plus we might see something bigger than 64cu count. 5700xt doesn't fit in the 12 tf calculation if it's rdna.

Wordstar

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
You can believe in the 9-10 TF. We can believe in the 12 since we have info backing that. We'll see :)

yeah thats no problem... but doent go assuming anything sony since there is no information on that.
And all the news sites wich are quoting the insider information on the 9tf are damaging sony at this moment with no real cause to it.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
//Arden_COM_BC1_228_0617/case_Noini.csv

testname,func pass,perf pass,Noini
cs_buffer_load_32bit_c2_cacheswizzle0_half_channel_arden,PASS,,0
cs_buffer_store_32bit_c2_cacheswizzle0_half_channel_arden,PASS,,0
cs_2buffer_op_32bit_c2_cacheswizzle0_half_channel_arden,PASS,,0
ray_tracing_tri,PASS,PASS,0
vrs_2x2_512_4x,PASS,PASS,0

hqmgg has said its Xbox stuff but he doesn't know much about it.:

#7,244

#7,248

AegonSnake by the way, he shows this many projects:

[introduce]
project = (Arden, Mero, mi100, Navi10, NAVI12, Navi12, Navi14, NAVI14, Navi21, Oberon, Renoir, Sparkman)

Edit 2: this "Arden folder" was within another folder that it looked like he was sending to his supervisor on May 6
ah ok. that makes sense.

arden was leaked to be navi 21 lite, 7nm+ and rdna 2.0 by a guy on twitter four days before the rogame leaks. sparkman is navi 12 lite and oberon is navi 10 lite according to that guy.

its not a conspiracy. ms simply paid more. a whole lot more to get the 7nm+ card.

Status
Not open for further replies.