• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure one of the MS insider with a pretty solid track record mentioned the XSX will be 12TF rdna (it was tom warren I think). I see no reason to doubt him, so until more solid info comes in, I'm inclined to believe XSX is 12TF rdna and not the performance to GCN tf conversion going in here.

Last edited:

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
If the X is 12 tf, there is no chance it is going to be under £500 in the UK, particularly with Brexit. It could even be more than that depending on how Lockheart is priced. Mostly likely is probably £300 and £500 I reckon with tales from my ass. Even at that, won't be surprised if they are selling at a decent loss. Otherwise, they might go all in for subscription models.

At those specs, no way PS5 can go for above £400.

I agree except the last sentence. No way could/would Sony come in at/above £400 as the only other time they did briefly was with PS3 before getting a dose of smelling salts and pushing a £299 revision out the door 6 months after launch. Like you say this time we're in uncertain economic times too.

It will be interesting to see if Microsoft do bring Lockhart at launch. I'm thinking maybe not because if we say Lockhart is £249-£299, PS5 is £349 and XSX is £500+ then many could simply deduce PS5 is the Goldilocks model to get? Microsoft might be better to just launch XSX and take a bigger hit on price to get to around a £100 of PS5?

This is all probably moot because there are almost certainly going be twists and turns to come...Probably starting today at some point!

Oct 25, 2017
For sure 9.2tf ps5 has to be cheaper than 12.1tf xsx

The Series X isn't going to be 12TF RDNA.

Eventually folks will come to accept that. Better now than the crushing dissapointment of later.

It's funny, over a year ago, 9-10TF RDNA was seen as the high end goal here. And now this thread has skipped past it and expects AMD to create a console level GPU that has 2TF more than their fastest Navi card and put it in a $500 console, all in less than a year.

Talk about absurdly whack expectations. For a tech focused thread, that's something...

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I agree except the last sentence. No way could/would Sony come in at/above £400 as the only other time they did briefly was with PS3 before getting a dose of smelling salts and pushing a £299 revision out the door 6 months after launch. Like you say this time we're in uncertain economic times too.

It will be interesting to see if Microsoft do bring Lockhart at launch. I'm thinking maybe not because if we say Lockhart is £249-£299, PS5 is £349 and XSX is £500+ then many could simply deduce PS5 is the Goldilocks model to get? Microsoft might be better to just launch XSX and take a bigger hit on price to get to around a £100 of PS5?

This is all probably moot because there are almost certainly going be twists and turns to come...Probably starting today at some point!

£350 for PS5 would be great value, but I would be surprised if they could get it with those specs without taking a loss. I really don't think MS can achieve £249 with Lockhart unless they take a big loss. At 12tf I reckon £500 is the cheapest they can go with X, unless they take a big loss.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Eventually folks will come to accept that. Better now than the crushing dissapointment of later.

It's funny, over a year ago, 9-10TF RDNA was seen as the high end goal here. And now this thread has skipped past it and expects AMD to create a console level GPU that has 2TF more than their fastest Navi card and put it in a $500 console, all in less than a year.

Talk about absurdly whack expectations. For a tech focused thread, that's something...

Blame Tom Warren, Windows Central and Digital Foundry then as they have all stated that they believe it's a 12TF RDNA console.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Blame Tom Warren, Windows Central and Digital Foundry then as they have all stated that they believe it's a 12TF RDNA console.
Df didn't they asked Ms and didn't have an answer.

They showed 9.7 tflops doubles a Xbox one x
They showed 10.2 tflops is 8x Xbox one
They showed 11 tflops is 8x Xbox one s

And they always said 12 tflops is a target.
There is no guarantee a console will hit a target.

Oct 25, 2017

I have posted this multiple times but belief is not a confirmation (DF has not confirmed it for example). And hey, it's not like insiders haven't been wrong before.

Wouldn't be the first time, wouldn't be the last. I trust Phil's specific word usage more than I do reports where it isn't even abundantly clear that they know what the difference between RDNA and GCN is. Phil said twice the performance of the XB1X GPU. That's about 10TF RDNA.

But mostly, jumping from a 9.75 TF PC GPU to a 12TF console GPU in the span of a year, all aimed at a $500 console sounds like the thing fan drama are made of.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
£350 for PS5 would be great value, but I would be surprised if they could get it with those specs without taking a loss. I really don't think MS can achieve £249 with Lockhart unless they take a big loss. At 12tf I reckon £500 is the cheapest they can go with X, unless they take a big loss.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

For sure. Personally I would like PS5 to go as powerful as they can, but to be honest I think even at 9.2 tf with RT, they will produce games exponentially above this gen. If there is at least £100 gap between the system and the XSX, then that will probably give them an advantage. If it is 9 vs 12 though, I think the difference could be bigger than £100 though.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
I have posted this multiple times but belief is not a confirmation (DF has not confirmed it for example). And hey, it's not like insiders haven't been wrong before.

Wouldn't be the first time, wouldn't be the last. I trust Phil's specific word usage more than I do reports where it isn't even abundantly clear that they know what the difference between RDNA and GCN is. Phil said twice the performance of the XB1X GPU. That's about 10TF RDNA.

But mostly, jumping from a 9.75 TF PC GPU to a 12TF console GPU in the span of a year, all aimed at a $500 console sounds like the thing fan drama are made of.

And I'm not sure we will get the answer at the CES 2020.

Mandrion

Oct 28, 2017

For the third time: Arden has 56 CUs (3584 Shaders) in the internal AMD testing documents --> 1,7 GHz x 3584 x 2 = 12,1 TFlops
Oberon has 36 CUs and 2 GHz

Arden has BC modes which match XBOX One
Oberon has BC modes which match PS4/PS4 Pro

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Files are from April - June 2019, haven't found any timestamps for tests in the files.
And is no one concerned about this?!

Unless these tests have a date attached to them, then how would we know whether it's from June of this year, or June of 2017?
Somebody PM me the files, please, I've not seen it on Github like people said. Dunno what to search for other than just oberon.

Katzenbuckel

Aug 18, 2019
If PS5 is 9,2 TF and XSX 12,2 TF can we still assume that the XSX will be 499? I could imagine that the PS5 will be 499 as everything today is a bit more expansive than 2012/13. But if the PS5 is 499 than the XSX @12TF must be more expensive. Could the XSX be even 699? IF they have Lockhart and only want it for prestige I could imagine it. But than Lockhart has to release at the same time.

This would be my horror scenario but I can see it what do you all think?

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For me a leak must correspond to two things :

- it's authentified as an internal document or information (like finding new products entries in a driver)
- it's authentified by a public source taking the risk of his personal of professional integrity to endorse it

Otherwise it's a rumour. Here both the source, the container and the message aren't clear, so it could have been edited, wrongly copy-pasted or composed with different source and timeline - whatever, it's for the principle we must be cautious.

The documents are legit, there are personal informations relating to AMD employees there.
Mentions doesn't mean anything about document provenance, edition and timeline. I could find these on Linkendin.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Tbh I'm not sure what to believe anymore lol. My thinking at this time would be something like this

- Most journos/insiders say they're very close, I think that is a given. I believe that.

- Looks like Nvidia was probably right, so no 12TF-13TF RDNA.

- Probably were about 12-13 TF GCN during E3, 9-10TF RDNA.

- Again probably will both will try boost that a little (target 10.7 per jason, over 10TF per Klee). And end up between 10.2-10.7 TF RDNA

- I'm not sure they even know what to do about price. That would explain rumors as well regarding both waiting to announce that at the very end, ans Lockhart's situation, so I wouldn't discard any price point between $399 and $499, for any.

- I think ~ 10TF RDNA would be really great, and on the super high end of what was expected last year. (Would be equivalent to 12-13TF GCN). So we should be happy, not disappointed.

- I think Jason's comments regarding other aspects making more of a difference are in line with that, and will be interesting nto see if he refers to the SSD, to the RAM or to both. (Or something else!)

- This last point also means we'll be able to keep the discussion going long after the specs are revealed discussin those points, well into 2021, with the first DF videos. I'm looking forward to that. February can't come soon enough ;)

Scousefury

Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Platform Warrs
The simple fact that no 3rd party devs cared to use the extra power of xox over the ps4p should tell you what will happen if ps5 is 9tf and xsx is12tf. Games will be designed around 9tf limits. So if ps5 is cheaper you will be wasting money on the xsx power.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its not a "document", these are results in csv/excel with Python Scripts.
This is nothing official or for anybody other than internal employees to see.
I am not stating anything about it, I am just calling to follow elementary rules of prudence when looking at it, because during almost 24 hours I read people seriously talk about "drivers", believing that a complete array of APU prototypes will end in Catalayst.

Just because there is a range of numbers doesn't mean these IP are authentic, and even these would be, it doesn't make you first belief about it receivable because you have no way to prove it.

An the same goes for all what's written on it, and how it's assembled. It's a piece to the puzzle but it doesn't complete it.

ZhouXiang

Dec 17, 2019
The simple fact that no 3rd party devs cared to use the extra power of xox over the ps4p should tell you what will happen if ps5 is 9tf and xsx is12tf. Games will be designed around 9tf limits. So if ps5 is cheaper you will be wasting money on the xsx power.
True. Good thing MS has now more than a dozen of first party studios.

Status
Not open for further replies.