• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I'll keep saying it. The one consistent piece from all the insider folk has been how very close the systems will be. There has been no contention there.

If we want to say PS5 is 9.2TF because of that Tweet (which is silly but okay), well that logically means......
So some like 9.2tf PS5 and 9.5 TF XSX going by what people were saying the 12TF GCN conversion would be.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Man a 2070 on a console will be awesome. No one was expecting that. And the cpu side will make the jump even higher. These systems will be much more equalized than current gen.

I was hoping for more but i not going to complain .
Just looking at games one a 1.8TF GPU and crappy CPU and they look really good to me .
Now we getting 7times the jump along with RT and VRS to help get more power out the systems , a good CPU and fast SSD they will be amazing looking and playing .

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Wait so now both are being suggested to be 9+ Teraflops and 12 Teraflops were just a GCN equivalent?
That would honestly fit with Microsoft only committing to twice the XBX performance but it would also mean that many insiders here were wrong.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Man a 2070 on a console will be awesome. No one was expecting that. And the cpu side will make the jump even higher. These systems will be much more equalized than current gen.
The 2070 level is only bad for PC gamers tbh, because now it means Nvidia is going to be comfortable selling 2070 performance as a premium still & that AMD might not have something much better than a 5700 in the pipeline, a 12 TF RDNA GPU in a Console would give Nvidia a big kick up the ass & show AMD still has it.
We will see though.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
The 2070 level is only bad for PC gamers tbh, because now it means Nvidia is going to be comfortable selling 2070 performance as a premium still & that AMD might not have something much better than a 5700 in the pipeline, a 12 TF RDNA GPU in a Console would give Nvidia a big kick up the ass & show AMD still has it.
We will see though.

I mean even if consoles only have that i would hope that AMD has a much better GPU for PC.
Since they don't have to worry about consoles problems with there PC GPUs .
Guess we will see at CES since i think they have something there.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Wait so now both are being suggested to be 9+ Teraflops and 12 Teraflops were just a GCN equivalent?
That would honestly fit with Microsoft only committing to twice the XBX performance but it would also mean that many insiders here were wrong.

Not many only one. The only one to give number. All the other never gave any number. For example what Jason told is true the two consoles GPUs are more powerful than Stadia GPU.

There is only one answer.

QaGILcz.gif

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Not many only one. The only one to give number. All the other never gave any number. For example what Jason told is true the two consoles GPUs are more powerful than Stadia GPU.

QaGILcz.gif

He already said he believes both of them are 10+.

Him repeating himself now would not change anything.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
9 tflops rdna needs 200w only for gpu... So it will be big... With cpu memory and all stuff even with 9tf will be a 300w machine
Imo only in the Dreamland a console can get to 12 tflops even if it was rdna2 on 7nm+

Tdp improv is 15% so with 225w(same of 5700xt) you would get 11 tflops

To get 12tflops on 7nm+ you will need more than 250w
On 7nm around 300w only for gpu
This will never happen .

Even if the whole system consume 300w the gpu part need to be around 200w and u can't get 12 tflops from amd on that.

It just math and what is expected from 7nm and 7nm+ there is no magic or secret sauce.
sorry but you have been told time and time again that this isnt true.

5700xt is only 235w because they are pushing clocks too high. the jump from 1.6 ghz to 2.0 ghz is 75% in power usage. thats where most of that 235w is coming from. consoles will always go wide and slow, and that means lower power consumption. mark my words, the series x will not even be 250w. 200-225w max.

the simulating gonzalo graph shows you can get a 1.8 ghz 40 cu system at 203w total tdp. thats on pc. consoles have a lot less moving parts and should be under 200w.

in just a couple of weeks, amd is set to announce the 5800xt. do you think its only going to be 12 tflops? 300w is usually the max desktop gpus go up to. of course not, it will be a 16 tflops part. and it will be around 250w if its on 7nm. lets bookmark this post and revisit it after ces.

Oct 25, 2017
:P

So some like 9.2tf PS5 and 9.5 TF XSX going by what people were saying the 12TF GCN conversion would be.
And I don't even think this is final stuff we're talking, so they may end up in that ~10 area. Who knows.

The funny thing about all this is how 9-10TFs was where most had settled with their predictions. It wasn't until it was thrown out of whack with the 12 talk. Now folk have warped expectations.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017

QaGILcz.gif

It wasn't just a general performance claim over Stadia, Jason said specifically the 10.7 TF number is something both MS and Sony were aiming to be greater than. :D

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
So would it be fair to say that at this point (especially with it being less than a year until launch) that both PS5 and Series X are basically in finalized states give or take some decisions to upclock, etc?

Yes, at this point it's all about final testing of silicon and any fine-tuning around thermals. Most likely there are early DVT units out there on both side.

As I said, very little left can be changed unless my previous conditions are met.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
5700 XT-ish + not just a real CPU but a bonafide modern one, is a massive generational leap.

People are just so caught up in talking Teraflops that they don't see it.

I think part of the concern comes from the big jump in resolution that might be coming. If Sony decide that all their games need to run in native 4K for marketing purposes, then 9.2TF really wouldn't be very good. It would offer a similar GPU multiplier from PS4 to what we got last gen, but with a 4x resolution jump dragging it down rather than 2.5-3x. That's not even getting into ray-tracing and the performance hit that could bring. Completely agree that the CPU and SSD boosts are going to be magic - it's why I'm getting a PS5 day one regardless - but it would really suck if PS5 owners were saddled with a lesser GPU for 7 years just because Sony wanted to chase casuals who don't actually buy a lot of games.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know for sure that those reported 9.2 TF range chip specs are the PS5 retail console target or not, but such tangible information being shared about hardware that has widely been assumed to be PS5 for many months is definitely far more interesting and relevant than any ambiguous and cryptic stuff from "insiders" that are highly likely to not have access to 100% solid (and more importantly complete information) from both console manufacturers.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Yes, at this point it's all about final testing of silicon and any fine-tuning around thermals. Most likely there are early DVT units out there on both side.

As I said, very little left can be changed unless my previous conditions are met.

7% upclock like XB1 had for these consoles would be nice!

Although in XB1 case it worked really well due to esram.

On these new consoles they'll have to increase the GDDR6 clocks too.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Being part of the original Team14TF Im feeling pretty down..the Grim Reaper has marked our small club for death. That said there is still hope and it would be pretty funny if the machines indeed end up being 12 RDNA TF after all this, just to see the narratives constantly changing in here lol.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
gotta give you props btw. i remember asking you why you thought the ps5 was going to be 8 tflops and if it was because sony was targeting $399 and you said yes. IF, and it is still a big if, this latest leak is true, you were spot on with your prediction. yes, i know the latest leaks suggest a 9 tflops console but its just sony increasing the clocks as they try to bridge the gap between the ps5 and series x.

My belief has been that they would be double the Pro +/- 10%. So 8.4 - 9.2 at $399. Anything over 10 requires a different thermal solution and higher cost.

What's funny is I first presented my estimations for console SKU's back in the beginning of 2017. So I've had this prediction going for much longer than 3 months :)

I"m not doing any victory laps yet however. Still a long time left for final specs to be released.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I think part of the concern comes from the big jump in resolution that might be coming. If Sony decide that all their games need to run in native 4K for marketing purposes, then 9.2TF really wouldn't be very good. It would offer a similar GPU multiplier from PS4 to what we got last gen, but with a 4x resolution jump dragging it down rather than 2.5-3x. That's not even getting into ray-tracing and the performance hit that could bring. Completely agree that the CPU and SSD boosts are going to be magic - it's why I'm getting a PS5 day one regardless - but it would really suck if PS5 owners were saddled with a lesser GPU for 7 years just because Sony wanted to chase casuals who don't actually buy a lot of games.

I mean if you look at it 7 to 8 TF would give you 4k on the GNC scale .
These GPU would be around 12GNC with hardware RT and VRS which would help them even more with the 5 to 6 TF left back.
Plus the CPU will be able to pull it's weight more since it's not crap .
So it's still a good set of power to do other stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know for sure that those reported 9.2 TF range chip specs are the PS5 retail console target or not, but such tangible information being shared about hardware that has widely been assumed to be PS5 for many months is definitely far more interesting and relevant than any ambiguous and cryptic stuff from "insiders" that are highly likely to not have access to 100% solid (and more importantly complete information) from both console manufacturers.
I think it is another interesting piece to the puzzle. If we had more context for it, it'd be even better.

For now, as with all the bits of info we get really, folk are jumping the gun.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
My belief has been that they would be double the Pro +/- 10%. So 8.4 - 9.2 at $399. Anything over 10 requires a different thermal solution and higher cost.

What's funny is I first presented my estimations for console SKU's back in the beginning of 2017. So I've had this prediction going for much longer than 3 months :)

I"m not doing any victory laps yet however. Still a long time left for final specs to be released.
You think 10.2 for 399 is not doable ?

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017

What I think when reading this is that Xbox Series X is targeted for double the Xbox One X +/- 10% at $499 which would be directly in line with the wording being used by Xbox publicly and reported 12 TF rumors. And it absolutely explains the existence of Lockhart at $299 price point then too.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Well not a long time if Sony does there meeting in Feb would be less than 2 months unless they don't give us numbers lol.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
damn, this guy was 4 days early and no noticed. pretty crazy stuff.

series x is what i wanted the ps5 to be. goddamn those specs look hawt.

If those spec are right then lockhart at $300 at a lost or Sony selling PS5 at a profit .
Cause you not saving $100 with 4GB less ram and 4CU less with a smaller bus.
Plus it wrong any way since lockhart can't be RDNA 1.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I mean if you look at it 7 to 8 TF would give you 4k on the GNC scale .
These GPU would be around 12GNC with hardware RT and VRS which would help them even more with the 5 to 6 TF left back.
Plus the CPU will be able to pull it's weight more since it's not crap .
So it's still a good set of power to do other stuff.

Hopefully, but it still feels like cutting corners. I checked some 5700 XT benchmarks on a modern PC at native 4K (settings varied from game to game), and there are some current-gen games, like FFXV at High and Metro Exodus at Medium, where it can't even hold 30fps all the time. I know the comparison isn't perfect due to the nature of PC hardware and all that, but I really feel that this chip would not provide an adequate graphical boost. Using reconstruction techniques would help, but even then I would want those to be combined with 60fps in order to improve their effectiveness and reduce artifacts, so we're still back to a 12-13TF $499 feeling like the much better value.

Status
Not open for further replies.