• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2019
here is the context they aren't giving you:
This info is not datamined from drivers
It is not related to devkits
It is not complete so I wouldn't read into "missing features." It's not a spec sheet
It is from internal AMD performance testing documents inadvertently posted publicly
They cover some specific set of test cases mostly comparing Ariel and Oberon results
It is dated June/July and is the same source for info "leaked" around that time

The poor sap who uploaded it will surely be fired regardless but I won't link to it because it contains personal data including their resume. It only took like 30 minutes to find, just search for it -- this guy has been quoting whole pieces verbatim

Since people keep quoting this I'll add my later disclaimer:
to be clear I have zero opinion on the usefulness of this data or applicability (if any) to the retail PS5. It's detailed to an extremely low level and at the same time a bit of a mess with gaps at the high level. I am glad there are people smarter than me who can read the tea leaves from it. I just think everyone should have the context of what it is and isn't instead of debating for 50 pages whether it is real (it is)

Also, rogame later explained where the data comes from so this post isn't really helpful anymore

I am grateful for your warning.

Buenoblue

Banned
May 5, 2018
Those ps5 specs seem about right for 399 machine and games would be great. Remember these are mass market consoles guys. I've bin saying series x is not gonna be 12tflop Navi all along. 12 tflop Navi is so much more than 2x Xbox one x. I mean why undersell.

Plus for me personally I'd rather no Ray tracing. I have a 2070 super and ryzen 3600, which is pretty comparable to new consoles. I play with raytracing off most the time as I don't think the performance hit is worth it. Raytracing is gonna bog these consoles down and we're gonna be stuck with 30fps games because of it.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope you're just trolling.

You hope I'm trolling in response to someone telling me to stop posting garbage and insulting me?

Interesting view. But okay.

it was said in what I quoted, but you do you.

I'm simply telling you and the other poster what DF said. He was saying DF confirmed RDNA. I pointed out they didn't and posted what DF had said.

The 12TF number is not in contention. I have never contended that.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
So to be clear, is there any concrete indication that the hardware this person tested was in fact PS5/Lockhart, and not, well, anything else? Including maybe a bunch of chips in R&D that may even have once been intended for the console projects, but ended up being repurposed upon being dropped?
For sparkman, it's not 100% confirmed to be Lockhart, but it has the same estimated bandwidth as scarlett and is reportedly weaker than both Arden (anaconda/series x) and Oberon (PS5)
For Oberon, there is big reason to believe it is some version of PS5, whether just some in development version that isn't representing of the final APU or otherwise, because it includes backwards compatibility GPU clocks that are an exact match to the PS4 and the PS4 pro.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Phil Spencer said Series X is 2x Xbox One X

Xbox One X = 6 TF GCN

6 TF GCN * 2 = 12TF GCN

Your accusing me of being a desperate fanboy because I did the math Phil Spencer asked me to?

Stop accusing me of being garbage and perhaps consider the answer isn't as fucking clear cut as you think it is.

i told you to stop posting garbage, not that you're garbage.

stop trying to make yourself the victim when you're just spamming this thread with the same fanboy drivel because you're concerned Sony might have a less powerful kit

is this a hardware speculation thread or a public opinion shaping brainstorm thread?

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
The results are current as of June and July of this year. This does not bode well for the ps5.

I just don't buy it.

I barely can type in english but I'd like to try and ask something.

Do those results showing up in June/July imply that the gpu/devkit was being tested by that time? Could them not just be old results from previous tests?

There could also be the possibilty of those results belonging to and older devkit/gpu setup with missing features that were not available at that time (i.e. RDNA2 features). It's the same excuse Tom Warren used for explaining why Ms were so late in shipping devkits to developers.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
lmao I'm part of the Xbox clan now? Check my post history lol

We discussed this last night and i mentioned it in my summary. They are likely using some other form of hardware rt. Chris and anex were talking about it. Power vr or something. Ps 5 does have hardware rt, its just not what's in rdna 2.0. And from what i understood it was kinda shit. Maybe they can chime in if I got it wrong.

They will likely have their own vrs solution but will it be better than amds rdna 2.0? Remains to be seen.

Bandwidth is extremely poor too. This explains why godfall looks a generation behind hellblade. I'm sure 30 fps games will come close to hellblade 2 but we have seen 60 fps games this gen looking pretty dated compared to horizon and other 40 fps games, it seems the same is going to be true for godfall and other 60 fps shooters.

Power VR would be a separate chip .
Which make things more expensive than just going with AMD.
Here the some info on it

sam777

Oct 27, 2017
Phil Spencer said Series X is 2x Xbox One X

Xbox One X = 6 TF GCN

6 TF GCN * 2 = 12TF GCN

Your accusing me of being a desperate fanboy because I did the math Phil Spencer asked me to?

Stop accusing me of being garbage and perhaps consider the answer isn't as fucking clear cut as you think it is.
We know it's not GCN though

Oct 25, 2017

stop trying to make yourself the victim when you're just spamming this thread with the same fanboy drivel because you're concerned Sony might have a less powerful kit

is this a hardware speculation thread or a public opinion shaping brainstorm thread?

Okay. Are you going to negate what I said or are you simply incapable of doing math?

It's okay if you are.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
You hope I'm trolling in response to someone telling me to stop posting garbage and insulting me?

Interesting view. But okay.

I'm simply telling you and the other poster what DF said. He was saying DF confirmed RDNA. I pointed out they didn't and posted what DF had said.

The 12TF number is not in contention. I have never contended that.

Maybe watch again even made you a timestamp DF Series X analysis.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017

No need to be so strident. The 12 tf has been rumoured by a few sources, but not confirmed. DF is legit but is second hand info, so not verified as they confirmed themselves. If they think it is is plausible then it definitely has credence. Windows Central and Tom Warren come across as pretty darn partisan. Maybe what they say is correct, but they are pretty clearly MS leaning. Spencer tweeting DF's article means nothing, it is publicity. He points the direction and people do the interpretation.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I think that makes sense, internally, for streaming purposes with the PS Now service but not sure the public wants (or needs) a new (more powerful) PS4 Pro model releasing close to the actual PS5.

But again, internally it does make some sense. Just like Lockhart only makes sense for me in terms of them having a base instance for the streaming service.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
lmao I'm part of the Xbox clan now? Check my post history lol

We discussed this last night and i mentioned it in my summary. They are likely using some other form of hardware rt. Chris and anex were talking about it. Power vr or something. Ps 5 does have hardware rt, its just not what's in rdna 2.0. And from what i understood it was kinda shit. Maybe they can chime in if I got it wrong.

They will likely have their own vrs solution but will it be better than amds rdna 2.0? Remains to be seen.

Bandwidth is extremely poor too. This explains why godfall looks a generation behind hellblade. I'm sure 30 fps games will come close to hellblade 2 but we have seen 60 fps games this gen looking pretty dated compared to horizon and other 40 fps games, it seems the same is going to be true for godfall and other 60 fps shooters.

Posts like this really reduce the quality of this thread. How many times does it need to be mentioned that Godfall is basically an Indie game whereas Hellblade is first party.
Also, Shinobi already said that Godfall is not representative of what is possible on the PS5.

These facts have been established since TGAs and now you are spewing old nonsense again?

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Antagonizing other users
No need to be so strident. The 12 tf has been rumoured by a few sources, but not confirmed. DF is legit but is second hand info, so not verified as they confirmed themselves. If they think it is is plausible then it definitely has credence. Windows Central and Tom Warren come across as pretty darn partisan. Maybe what they say is correct, but they are pretty clearly MS leaning. Spencer tweeting DF's article means nothing, it is publicity. He points the direction and people do the interpretation.

is this a post about gaming hardware or politics

i'm not exactly sure what you're getting at as I have not huffed as much cocaine as I need to understand it.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe watch again even made you a timestamp DF Series X analysis.

What I posted is either in the video or the DF article. But let's listen to your time stamp. Moments after the time stamp, he says "assuming this is true."

So again, my point, assumptions, leaks =/= confirmations. DF has not confirmed it.

are you serious right now?

Are you going to keep asking useless questions.

Let me show you something:
http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/10065...eux-prochaines-xbox-devoilees-a-l-e3-2019.htm

This was in February of this year. Prior to E3 but more importantly, prior to RDNA reveal. This leak says Series X is 12TF and Lockhart is 4TF. Which are the numbers we have now.

So, we have this leak that got the numbers right back in February, which would be in GCN. We have the multipliers provided.

But you are telling me that the thought of me thinking it might be 12TF GCN is crazy?

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This thread is a rollercoaster.

*cant find the gif of the old woman on a rollercoaster*

Damn it!

anigif_enhanced-4276-1396997562-7.gif

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't buy it.

I barely can type in english but I'd like to try and ask something.

Do those results showing up in June/July imply that the gpu/devkit was being tested by that time? Could them not just be old results from previous tests?

There could also be the possibilty of those results belonging to and older devkit/gpu setup with missing features that were not available at that time (i.e. RDNA2 features). It's the same excuse Tom Warren used for explaining why Ms were so late in shipping devkits to developers.
yes, it implies they were still testing these gpus in june when the devkits were already out.

both ariel and oberon are 36 cus. oberon is a newer revision of ariel which is almost a year old. so sony did update their older devkit/gpu setup and still did not include any rdna 2.0 features like vrs and rt, and kept the counts at 36. all they did was a clock speed boost which gets us from 8.2 to 9.2 tflops.

Power VR would be a separate chip .
Which make things more expensive than just going with AMD.
Here the some info on it

right. this lines up with what cerny said. a dedicated hardware for rt. it does not invalidate the oberon leaks from yesterday.
I'm posting this again because you all seem to keep missing this post.

Aegon, I love you buddy, but you might need to start caveating your posts as speculation, because people are taking your posts as gospel.
lol everyone quoting me is disagreeing with me. i dont think anyone is taking my posts as gospel. its a speculation thread and every post of mine should be taken as speculation.

i did post several qualifiers last night and even today. i just cant be bothered to do it in every post. this news does not please me in the slightest but there is nothing wrong with connecting the dots and speculating on the leaks imo.
Of course, this is all assuming if this is true. I am still not sure if it is. We are missing something but i just don't know what. It simply doesn't line up with what journalists have heard.
i mean there is always a chance. these gpus are out there being tested. they are real and there is tangible evidence that they have ps4 and pro bc.

but they dont exist in a vacuum. you also have a lot of sources pointing to bigger gpus being used for both sony and ms. you have sources saying the consoles are more powerful than the 5700xt which this wouldnt be. you have sources sayin the consoles are more powerful than the rtx 2080 which is already been confirmed for one 12 tflops console and a 9 tflops navi gpu simply wouldnt even match a 2070 let alone a 2080.

it all depends on who do you want to believe to help you sleep better at night until the reveal. some guys on twitter hacking databases to find benchmarks and gpus still in r&d or developers in the industry coding on these devkits and relaying that information to journalists and ex-journalists like klee.

i am choosing to believe the wccftech guy who called navi not being a gcn card in june of 2018 and has stuck by his reporting that sony is using a larger than 40 cu part. same goes for jason who said they were aiming to beat 10.7 tflops and then heard devs say that it might be even more powerful than an rtx 2080. im choosing to believe klee who got confrimation that the gpus were better than the 5700xt and now has specs that supposedly say the same.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

When Phil does these coordinated interviews like the Gamespot one, I think particular attention should be paid to what he is saying.

He's the master of foreshadowing, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.