• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
End of year predictions:

Following the blueprint of the PS4's success, Sony went into this wanting to make a box for $400 and not lose money on it. I think 9-10TF is likely and BC with PS4/Pro will be 100% but offer no significant benefits due to the method used (CPU downclocks). People will figure out a way to download P.T. again similar to the old/current method and so there will be no merit in keeping your old hardware. It will sell 100-120m units being consistently strong across all regions. Any power deficit compared to the XSX won't matter one jot to the average consumer and with some of Sony's first party games you'd be forgiven for thinking that the power deficit went the other way.

Having been humiliated this generation Microsoft were keen to have the most powerful hardware and going forward it will be part of their core identity. XSX will be $500 and Lockhart will be $300, the latter being by far the more popular iteration. The efforts of the BC team will continue to amaze with a 9x res bump across the board for all 360 games and smoothed out frame rates and maxed out variable resolutions for Xbox One games. It will do similar numbers to the 360, clawing back marketshare in English speaking countries while struggling everywhere else and sell around 80m units. Given that Microsoft also have PC and ambitions for Xcloud and Game Pass that console userbase number means less than it did in the past. Also those who care about the power difference will be those who spend a lot of money on the platform so they'll feel justified in targeting that demographic and getting them entrenched in their ecosystem going forward.

Overall both platform holders will be very happy and will make bucketloads of money.

Sounds like a much bigger success story for Xbox, especially if they manage to get even a fraction of 80 million to buy into Game Pass.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Your not getting what I'm saying. There's been a lot of GPU leaks in the past month for AMD, and Nvidia has been talking about their new lineup. Like the 5600 XT is a thing and has been leaked, so that on top of new APU's from the amd 4000 line will be unveiled.

On top of other models that also leakes like the 5800,5900 which are suppose to be RDNA high end.

So a lot of the chips that are being deciphered some could be some of these un-releases, unannounced chips that are going to be unveiled at CES.

Remember that's when they unveiled 7nm Radeon VII and talked about Ryzen 2 series before their main announcement in May.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for clarifying

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe 1 chip wide and slow didn't fit their ambitions for top tier next gen. They had to go Chiplet design to go both extra wide and extra fast.

Maybe PS5 launches with two SKUs:

- Baseline PS5: $399, 1 APU with 36 CU (9.2 TF) + Zen 2

- PS5 Pro: $599, Chiplet GPU. 72 CU (18.4 TF)

This makes sense why they have multiple chips with the same CU count and clocks. One has Zen, one doesn't.

Sony realizes that the hardcore will pay 599 if they are willing to go 499.

And the casual are willing to go 399 at launch like they did with PS4, and will stretch their budget if it's significantly more powerful than Lockhart

Sony is going to pincer Microsoft's Lockhart strategy

I'm so fucking in for $599 if that gets me 18TF. REALLY doubt it, but would be amazing.

But I would be happy if XSX and PS5 are both around the same ~12TF ballpark. Then the main deciding factor becomes "which console has the most games I want", not "which has the best 3rd party versions" (which leads to having to buy both if these are not the same).

Last edited:

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
So the Kotaku guy and the other dude thought the PS5 had the edge because the Xbox devkit had Navi TFs and the PS devkit had GCN TFs? Is this right? It's hard to keep up with the BS

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
Some insider is going to come off looking rather poorly in all this. It's only a matter of who at this point. I still think most the insiders are just using whatever info is available at the time and it's possible there has just been conflicting info over time. I don't think Warren, Klee, Jason, Reiner Klobbrille etc are being malicious at all. I think there is just conflicting info out there right now.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Is there like any concrete information in this thread?
dtUC1pL.gif

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why is so hard for people here to understand that 12 tflops is NOT CONFIRMED?

It is a target spec. can be 10.8, 11.2, 11.5 or even 12 but it is not confirmed.

Same for RDNA2, to be RDNA2 need to be 7nm+ and we don't have confirmation on that.

We know it will be RDNA arch maybe rdna1 with rdna2 features on 7nm

So top making things that are not official like it is. Wait for official specs and stop saying we have confirmation we don't. We have speculation.
Great post, albeit one that nobody wants to think about right now.

You're right, until it's officially confirmed, anything can happen and we can be wrong, there are still plenty of questions we don't have answers to.

It's best not to get emotionally attached to a specific number at this stage or any stage.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
User warned: Trolling; Disregarding Staff Post
PS5 is:
19tflops rdna3
24gb HBM3
4tb 20gb/s ssd
smaller than ps4 slim
399$
Sony got such great deals on all parts that they make 100$ profit per sale

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Then what would this belong to? Seems awfully close to a next gen console and we know this wouldn't be xsx or switch 2
I don't know what it belongs to, but I do know that it contradicts every word a credible insider/journalist has told us so far.
Like I said in my post, the lack of HW RT, which contradicts Matt's confirmation, should be reason enough to dismiss this "leak" as being representative of final PS5 hardware.

I get it, a lot of people here don't wanna believe Klee's info. So be it, don't believe him.
But if you're gonna treat this datamined stuff as gospel, then you also have to dismiss what we've been told by Matt, Schreier, Reiner, and hell, even Cerny.

I mean, seriously, people, which makes more sense here?!

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am in agreement with you. I'm still firmly in team 12 to 13 TF for the PS5 until we get corroborating evidence.
Yes, certainly. Im staying Team 12/13 until Sony says otherwise. This whole thing is suspect, because it's old info that's resurfacing AND Jason and Klee already commented on the specs after Komachi's finding back then.
So what has really changed?

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Is there like any concrete information in this thread?

Easy to see that there really isn't.

Just people flipping their shit.

Call me crazy, but I'm more than glad with 9.2tflops. If we get more, good, if we don't, good.

GTA V was made on consoles with 256mb of VRAM. I'm not sure what people are expecting out of machines that need to be affordable to the mass market.

The thread has low key been a Tflop dick measuring contest since The X announcement and it's sad to see.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Man, it's hard keeping up with the thread, especially during a vacation.
so you agree, lockhart will hold down next gen games where devs start building from lockhart up, that according to brad sams, quite a few games were like that.

Unlike some that think that porting down does not happen, it is something that has been common place for ages. If you read this thread, you will be told it is rare, it is harder, or that lockhart will hold back the next generation. None of it based on any truth. Devs can start wherever they want, high end, low end, somewhere in the middle.

It won't change next gen.
I agree, there are a lot of "porting down" going on. Most developers will tell you that developing for the most powerful machine and then porting down will result in a better looking game for both the most powerful machine and the weaker one as well.

I doubt developers will want to lead on Lockheart. Usually the lead platform is chosen because the developer has some marketing deal with the platform holder, the platform is the most popular so the publisher wants it to lead or it's the most powerful which makes developers excited to develop on. But Lockheart? It's not going to be any of these options. Games will probably be made for PS5, Anaconda or PC first, depends on power difference, popularity and publisher deals.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what it belongs to, but I do know that it contradicts every word a credible insider/journalist has told us so far.
Like I said in my post, the lack of HW RT, which contradicts Matt's confirmation, should be reason enough to dismiss this "leak" as being representative of final PS5 hardware.

I get it, a lot of people here don't wanna believe Klee's info. So be it, don't believe him.
But if you're gonna treat this datamined stuff as gospel, then you also have to dismiss what we've been told by Matt, Schreier, Reiner, and hell, even Cerny.

I mean, seriously, people, which makes more sense here?!

That is why some are saying that Sony might be using some other form of hardware RT.
Since then that is the only thing that would make sense for that .
So Sony knew what AMD was doing RT wise but say fuck it we doing our own thing .

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Reiner works for Game Informer. Matt has a history of credible information.

They are not absolutely, remotely the same thing. That shows your bad faith arguments and ability to distinguish between nuances.
Klee has been verified as having industry ties (he literally posted a picture of himself and the EGM staff), and is a former journalist, just like Reiner. Matt posts here and could have discredited Klee at any point. Yet they all say that they're either extremely close (ie 15% at most), or PS5 has a slight edge. You single out one and don't address the others. If you cannot appreciate how that looks, then you can't be helped.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
If you put a 500bhp engine in an 18 wheeler, it will hardly move it. If you put a 500bhp engine in a lightweight car, it'll move like shit off a shovel.

That's the comparison people should be making - a flop is a fixed unit. It's how they're used that makes the difference. Make a more efficient architecture, get more out of it.

I get what you're saying, though a point of clarification, 18 wheelers are about 300-600 up on average. It's the torque that is the difference, where they usually have 1000-2000 ft/lbs.
Same with the Xbox One X comparison. 12TF RDNA would be more than two times the GPU power and there is no need to undersell your console.
They also say their CPU is 4x, where it seems it's actually a much larger increase.

Oct 25, 2017
Klee has been verified as having industry ties, and is a former journalist, just like Reiner. Matt posts here and could have discredited Klee at any point. Yet they all say that they're either extremely close (ie 15% at most), or PS5 has a slight edge. You single out one and don't address the others. If you cannot appreciate how that looks, then you can't be helped.

Matt hasn't given specific numbers. Neither has Reiner. If you can't appreciate the difference between the information being provided that is the basis for the contention, then you can't be helped.

mindcontrol

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
Dec 8, 2018
Reiner works for Game Informer. Matt has a history of credible information.

They are not absolutely, remotely the same thing. That shows your bad faith arguments and ability to distinguish between nuances.

Klee have worked in the industry and have been verified to be in a position to receive the information he claims to have just that he have not been able to verify to mods it's 100 true and I bet if Matt, Reiner would been asked to show their "evidence" it would be the same situation.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
That is why some are saying that Sony might be using some other form of hardware RT.
Since then that is the only thing that would make sense for that .
So Sony knew what AMD was doing RT wise but say fuck it we doing our own thing .
I doubt they'll have separate ray-tracing hardware.

This is what Cerny said:
"There is ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU hardware," he says, "which I believe is the statement that people were looking for."
Not "RT acceleration in the APU," not "RT acceleration hardware [somewhere] in the system." He specifically said in the GPU hardware.
They're both using AMD's implementation.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing new I recon (and sorry if already posted) but Shûhei Yoshida spoke to Dengeki PlayStation for the 25 years of PlayStation and tackled the PlayStation 5 on a game dev point of view. Gamekult translated some bits in French. In English:

"The PS3 era was probably the most difficult period in the 25 years of Sony Interactive Entertainment", [Yoshida] admits, before adding that "the programming difficulty was obvious". And logically, "when the complexity of the hardware is an obstacle to overcome, it becomes more difficult to focus on the creative aspects."

This is why the PlayStation 5 intends to follow the logic of the PS4 with an architecture and technical specifications supposed to make life easier for programmers. "With the hardware designed to facilitate game development, you can simply spend more time on the creative aspects". And according to Yoshida, the echoes of the studios he meets are even more favorable for the brand's next console: "What I hear from people who develop on PS5 is that we have reached a level of programming simplicity never seen." "It was the case on PS4, but the PS5 goes even further," he preaches a few lines further.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Yes, certainly. Im staying Team 12/13 until Sony says otherwise. This whole thing is suspect, because it's old info that's resurfacing AND Jason and Klee already commented on the specs after Komachi's finding back then.
So what has really changed?

Yeah, rogames info is the odd one out compared to pretty much everything we had up until this point. It's interesting info, but we all lack a complete picture on what's going on and how this info fits into the final product.

Status
Not open for further replies.