• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
The first Wired article confirmed PS4 and PSVR bc, but didn't explicitly state for every single title. It said it was due to the similar architectures so that heavily implies it'll just work.

Then in October or so a Sony rep was quoted as saying, "Currently, the dev team is putting all power on verifying whether they can secure a complete compatibility. Please wait for more information."

Now that quote is open to interpretation because he could have only been talking about PS4 BC or full BC with all prior gen consoles. Even in a worst case scenario it means they're working hard to ensure full compatibility for the PS4.
PS1, PS2 might be tough but should be possible. PS4 should be given. Don't hold your breath for PS3. It's honestly not even worth the effort.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
No? Based on the information we have now, it appears HBM may only be a 1.5x cost factor, if not less. If they go with less than 16GB, it's because it's not needed to avoid bottlenecking.

So if I'm following the discussion properly HBM RAM has fallen quite a bit in the past year or two which means someone may have placed a large order for some. Do we have any theories on who that someone would be? Do we know of anyone who could potentially order larger volumes of the stuff than Sony for the PS5 and PS Now servers?

I know Stadia is using HBM2, but realistically are we expecting that their order would have caused this drastic drop in price?

If, hypothetically it was Sony who placed such an order then I understand the people who say the decision would have had to be made years ago when the prices were very high and it would have been a huge gamble. But wouldn't Sony have been able to assess the market and run projections on what their investment in this memory type would do to its price by the time the PS5 launched?

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Going with HBM would be a huge mistake, it it means significantly less RAM than 16GB GDDR6.

Just like 4GB GDDR5 was a huge mistake versus 8GGB DDR3 until the 11th hour miracle that gave them 8GB parity.
I am of the impression that every mention of HBM thus far with regards to the PS5 hints at there being more than one pool of RAM. So it's going to be HBMand DDR4. And mostly 8GB of HBM and 12-16GB DDR4.

I am also of the impression that having 8GB of HBM and 12-16GB of DDR4 is a lot better than having one pool o 16GB of GDDR6.

TibimusPrime

Nov 26, 2017
One thing I haven't seen talked about much is how last-gen games will look on Series X/PS5.

Will devs be able to patch in updates to support new features like VRS and ray tracing in older games? I wonder how complex it could be. I think there's TONS of potential here for upgrades/enhancement updates and patches for BC games on next-gen systems.

Honestly i could see MS do this, based on the same initiative they did with the BC of 360 and OG xbox games (4K upscaling, etc..).

I just wish / hope that Sony at least take's a second look at this and start doing something similar, would be such a waste to not ever be able to play those games.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I doubt both companies will talk about Teraflops much.

The most common complaint I hear about the current gen console experience isn't the lack of Teraflops or graphical power, it's the long install times, long load times, etc. Improving these things and making them even "instant" will do more for me than harping on about Teraflops. Everybody already expects better looking games, but nobody really expected SSDs. It's going to be great to see these consoles improve so dramatically in that area and no matter how ugly or pretty a game is, you can bet it won't make the user suffer through long load times, which makes the SSD a top priority to showcase IMO.

I'm sure there'll be Ray Tracing tech demos and stuff to highlight what the GPUs are capable of, and I'm sure we're going to say "wow" when those 1st party games are shown off in all their glory, but after suffering through Anthem and Destiny's long load times this gen, I'm going to appreciate the I/O in next gen consoles the most.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I am expecting the SSD alone to take up a decent sized section of the meeting.

I'd like to see a side by side comparison where they show a 5 or 10 second clip where data is being loaded into the RAM or something like that. On one side is the setup of the PS4 and the other side is the PS5 and in the end we see the PS4 was able to move xxx MB of data, and the PS5 was able to move xxx GB of data. That'd be a quick way to hammer home how much faster this solution is.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be more clear on GT Sport, the Iris rendering system bakes ray tracing using 8 rendering servers with a total of 320 cores.

www.gtplanet.net

Polyphony Digital Reveals GT Sport's "Iris" Ray Tracing System at CEDEC 2018

Since Polyphony Digital first launched Gran Turismo, the company has been creating some of the most graphically impressive titles in the video game industry. Detailed car models and beautiful lighting has been a hallmark of the series for more than 20 years. It's a bit of a mysterious art, though

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
One thing I haven't seen talked about much is how last-gen games will look on Series X/PS5.

Will devs be able to patch in updates to support new features like VRS and ray tracing in older games? I wonder how complex it could be. I think there's TONS of potential here for upgrades/enhancement updates and patches for BC games on next-gen systems.
I doubt it. For one, why do what MS is already doing for them on X? Second, MS does it as a passion project. I doubt it fills their bottom line. There's a reason Sony said the customer demand isn't there. Sony just came to realize that the most vocal consumers are the ones that do care.
So if I'm following the discussion properly HBM RAM has fallen quite a bit in the past year or two which means someone may have placed a large order for some. Do we have any theories on who that someone would be? Do we know of anyone who could potentially order larger volumes of the stuff than Sony for the PS5 and PS Now servers?

I know Stadia is using HBM2, but realistically are we expecting that their order would have caused this drastic drop in price?

If, hypothetically it was Sony who placed such an order then I understand the people who say the decision would have had to be made years ago when the prices were very high and it would have been a huge gamble. But wouldn't Sony have been able to assess the market and run projections on what their investment in this memory type would do to its price by the time the PS5 launched?
Why would a huge order lower prices? Wouldn't someone gobbling up most capacity have a negative impact on pricing, at least in the short term?

Also, stadia is maybe what, 100k nodes? Sony wants to sell 100x that in one year alone.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
PS1, PS2 might be tough but should be possible. PS4 should be given. Don't hold your breath for PS3. It's honestly not even worth the effort.

PS1 and PS2 BC are trivially easy for them. As for the PS3, I've gone into the reasons I think they'll include BC for it many times but the biggest is to save tens of millions of dollars by not having to support and manufacture PS3 hardware in PS Now. On top of that it'll earn them a shitload of goodwill, the PS3 games will continue to help bolster the PS Now catalog and they could even make so e extra cash from players picking up older games from PSN.

Whatever it costs them to create an emulator for PS3 games on the PS5 is almost certainly a LOT cheaper than having to support PS3 hardware on PS Now.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
#Think

I want that people think about HBM and what other impacts it actually has, other than cost.

Just to be prepared for the responses I expect: I am fully aware of that 3D stacking cooling patent but currently 2.5D is still standard or is anyone expecting a console would be the front runner for 3D stacking, an even more expensive method to build a console chip? Nope!

Means, adding HBM 2.5D stacked to your console SOC you add another source of heat near the CPU/GPU cores on the same interposer. Guess what this does to your attempt to achieve high clock speeds: It makes it even more challenging because you have to handle an increased heat dissipation for your package because of that HBM memory. That combined heat is now also on a smaller area compared to what you would have to handle with memory outside the SOC package like with GDDR6. And we all know cooling is more challenging with a small area that produces a large amount of heat.

So for all those high clocked PS5 dreams HBM is actually counter productive when applied by 2.5D stacking.

#MerryChristmas

Last edited:

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Sony have such ridiculous artists and engines that I genuinely don't think they need to match MS in a tflop GPU arms race. U4, GT Sport, Horizon, Spider-Man, GoW, Death Stranding, Ghost and TLOU II are running on a Jaguar, 1.8tflop GPU console. Imagine what those same developers will do with a Ryzen, ~10tflop GPU, double the RAM and an SSD...
Let's not bring any more of this fanboy stuff in here. MS have new studios and more competent devs than we can imagine.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I doubt it. For one, why do what MS is already doing for them on X? Second, MS does it as a passion project. I doubt it fills their bottom line. There's a reason Sony said the customer demand isn't there. Sony just came to realize that the most vocal consumers are the ones that do care.

Why would a huge order lower prices? Wouldn't someone gobbling up most capacity have a negative impact on pricing, at least in the short term?

Also, stadia is maybe what, 100k nodes? Sony wants to sell 100x that in one year alone.

I was under the impression that more money being poured into that memory type would help it by expanding capacity and improving yields over time as some of that money goes towards increasing efficiency.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
True, but if these negotiations were done 2+ years ago could the expansion have begun at that point to prepare for the volume the PS5 will need, and by extension affect the price in the meantime?
Factories take years to build. They would have had to commit way ahead of time. Maybe that happened and Cerny has been conceiving of this since the Pro was finalized.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I've also been rethinking the whole reram thing. I was originally thinking that Sony would want to do everything in-house for their semicon division, but what if their role in this is more like AMD with their chips where they design everything and then actual manufacturing is farmed out to whoever? From what I understand reram can be manufactured at existing NAND facilities without requiring any major retooling. So in this case what if Sony is utilizing someone else like Samsung to get the massive volumes of chips they'd need?

I'm not sure if Sony has existing facilities that could make ReRAM and AFAIK none have been announced to be under construction. If they are planning to roll it out in 2020 then I guess that does mean they are utilizing a partner with existing infrastructure. For example we know Sony's building a new facility for image sensors but that won't be ready til 2021, not a peep about a facility for reram.

Aug 26, 2019
Other than raytracing, has there been any news on major improvements we can expect to see in graphics pipelines? Will there be anything that makes as large of a difference as PBR has?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Factories take years to build. They would have had to commit way ahead of time. Maybe that happened and Cerny has been conceiving of this since the Pro was finalized.

Well if the HBM theory is true I'm guessing that's how it would have played out.

Anyways, even if they go GDDR6 it'll be great. I think some folk are hoping for some slightly more exotic tech to help differentiate both next gen boxes.

Also, more reddit stuff:

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
PS1 and PS2 BC are trivially easy for them.

Running the games, sure, but verifying legal ownership is a different story. Requiring a drive that can verify the physical security mechanisms used for PS1 and PS2 would impact the ability to source the drive inexpensively, so I don't believe it'll happen. It would be a different story if PS1 and PS2 libraries were digital purchases all their customers already had associated with their accounts - but they're not, and so I'm not expecting anything but PS4 compatibility. They'd get so much more mileage out of any improvements they can deliver on PS4 titles (including PS2 and PS3 ports) that it's simply not worth thinking about anything else. IMHO, of course.

Other than raytracing, has there been any news on major improvements we can expect to see in graphics pipelines? Will there be anything that makes as large of a difference as PBR has?

Global illumination and soft area lights can be achieved in a variety of ways that don't require brute-force raytracing, and it would definitely have a dramatic impact on the look of games. Volumetric effects for smoke and fire should take a huge step forward. There are plenty of other techniques that are well understood but poorly approximated in current generation games due to lack of computational muscle - expect shader complexity to take a step forward for water, hair, skin, and other materials that we thought looked acceptable this generation but were really fairly half-baked.

We're not prepared for what's possible, and everyone who expects current generation graphics at higher resolutions and frame rates is setting their sights way too low. Image quality has a long way to go, though we'll be able to soak up extra GPU power fast enough to push games right back to 30fps with temporal injection at sub-4k resolutions in order to look their very best.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Navi10 is 36-40 and lite means igpu
thanks to flutter, we know navi 10 lite wasnt 40 cus.

its been reported multiple times that navi 12 was the 40 cu part that got released as a navi 10 5700.
Anyway if AquariusZi is legit, is he saying here that 5700 is actually Navi 12 rebranded into Navi10?

Translation is a mess if you try to do it via google.

wccftech reporeted a 40 cu navi 12 back in november of 2018.

here is komachi saying that navi 10 lite and navi 10 are completely different.

Also for the PS5 bros, just being Navi10Lite doesnt mean that it's based on 5700XT

long story short, the ps5, just like the scarlett, was always based on the bigger navi gpu just like wccftech reported. navi 12 became navi 10 but the ps5 gpu remained navi 10 lite.

here are some more of his quotes in replies to that tweet.
I can only speak in terms of GFX-ID (IP Version) and PCI-ID. so I don't know the details. however, PCI-ID assigned to Navi 10 LITE is not new, so some of the new features which Navi 10/14 will have may be missing.

Since dGPU ID and iGPU ID are completely different, I can't imagine either. Also, Navi 10's ID reuses Bermuda's ID. That is, they are mysteries. But I think Navi 10 LITE is before Arden and Renoir.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I've also been rethinking the whole reram thing. I was originally thinking that Sony would want to do everything in-house for their semicon division, but what if their role in this is more like AMD with their chips where they design everything and then actual manufacturing is farmed out to whoever? From what I understand reram can be manufactured at existing NAND facilities without requiring any major retooling. So in this case what if Sony is utilizing someone else like Samsung to get the massive volumes of chips they'd need?

I'm not sure if Sony has existing facilities that could make ReRAM and AFAIK none have been announced to be under construction. If they are planning to roll it out in 2020 then I guess that does mean they are utilizing a partner with existing infrastructure. For example we know Sony's building a new facility for image sensors but that won't be ready til 2021, not a peep about a facility for reram.

Sony has actually teamed up with Micron to make ReRAM chips.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Here's the argument Mark Cerny presented at Gamelab 2013 about their choice going with 256-bit GDDR5 @ 176 GB/s vs 128-bit GDDR5 @ 88 GB/s + small eDRAM @ 1088 GB/sec (over 1 TB/s).

Z7PFykM.jpg

Starts at 38 minutes 54 seconds in.

On one hand, that might also make for an argument against using High Bandwidth Memory in PS5. However, unlike the typical embedded memory which would be limited to the tens of MegaBytes (i.e. 32 MB eDRAM in Wii U GPU, 32 GB ESRAM on Xbox One GPU and 64-128 MB eDRAM with Intel integrated GPUs) the HBM would be in the GigaBytes (i.e. 8 GB, at least).

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
Here's the argument Mark Cerny presented at Gamelab 2013 about their choice going with 256-bit GDDR5 @ 176 GB/s vs 128-bit GDDR5 @ 88 GB/s + small eDRAM @ 1088 GB/sec (over 1 TB/s).

Z7PFykM.jpg

Wanted to get something straight. So what Cerny is saying here is that if you have a large amount of memory but it's running at slower bandwidth, and you have a smaller amount of very fast memory, you can add those two numbers together to represent the total memory bandwidth. Got it.

Just wanted to make sure because I remember hearing from a lot of posters that wasn't possible... once upon a time.

/s

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA

Z7PFykM.jpg

On one hand, that might also make for an argument against using High Bandwidth Memory in PS5. However, unlike the typical embedded memory which would be limited to the tens of MegaBytes (i.e. 32 MB eDRAM in Wii U GPU, 32 GB ESRAM on Xbox One GPU and 64-128 MB eDRAM with Intel integrated GPUs) the HBM would be in the GigaBytes (i.e. 8 GB, at least).

Had they gone with 128-bit bus they might have ended up with 4GB GDDR6 total ram, and that would have been after a last minute density increase!

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Wanted to get something straight. So what Cerny is saying here is that if you have a large amount of memory but it's running at slower bandwidth, and you have a smaller amount of very fast memory, you can add those two numbers together to represent the total memory bandwidth. Got it.

Just wanted to make sure because I remember hearing from a lot of posters that wasn't possible... once upon a time.

/s

I recall Major Nelson / Larry Hryb made the same comparison between Xbox 360 and PS3 bandwidth by adding Xbox 360's GDDR3 and EDRAM bandwidths together.

jMgKyGb.gif

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

When it's only 32MB and it's not particularly fast, aggregating the bandwidth is pretty meaningless. I think Sony was probably looking at something in the order of 256MB of EDRAM at the time. The EDRAM scenario would have been far less limiting at that size while actually providing a tremendous bandwidth advantage rather than simply representing the missing bandwidth GDDR would have provided...

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Running the games, sure, but verifying legal ownership is a different story. Requiring a drive that can verify the physical security mechanisms used for PS1 and PS2 would impact the ability to source the drive inexpensively, so I don't believe it'll happen. It would be a different story if PS1 and PS2 libraries were digital purchases all their customers already had associated with their accounts - but they're not, and so I'm not expecting anything but PS4 compatibility. They'd get so much more mileage out of any improvements they can deliver on PS4 titles (including PS2 and PS3 ports) that it's simply not worth thinking about anything else. IMHO, of course.

Indeed there are a lot of variables involved in BC and it really depends on whether Sony are willing to invest the time and money to make it happen with those older systems. Ideally what I'd like to happen is full BC with all the previous gen consoles (maybe even some handheld games) and then they'd use AI upscaling to improve both the resolution and texture quality. It'd give old games a new lease on life, PS Now could benefit from the mammoth amount of games that could be added from this list and owners would be very happy with these additional options. Maybe we won't get full BC at launch, but I'm hopeful that it'll eventually be there.

Sony has actually teamed up with Micron to make ReRAM chips.

I believe their partnership with Micron ended years ago. Since then Sony announced they're going at it alone and have talked about their 128 GB and 256 GB chips

/s

Good day to you sir. If you don't mind I'd like to pick your brain about the general concept of having a cache like ReRAM between the SSD and RAM. Given the limited info we have so far 128 GB of ReRAM has a speed of 25.6 GB/s and 256 GB has a speed of 51.2 GB/s. How much of a difference do you think such a cache would have on actual performance in games and what developers could do in their games? Are we talking about a decent bump to what they could conceivably do, or is this a "throw the rule book out the window" sort of jump?

Keep in mind of course that we have no clue if ReRAM will make it into the PS5 and if it'll achieve those speeds, but I was wondering if you had any insights to this hypothetical scenario given your knowledge of the industry.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Hostility to other members. Platform warring

/s
Yeah, also remember someone saying there was no way ms would give up a 30% power advantage to sony and that people will have a hard time over the next 10 years dying on that power gap hill because MS created DirectX. So spot on.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
Good day to you sir. If you don't mind I'd like to pick your brain about the general concept of having a cache like ReRAM between the SSD and RAM. Given the limited info we have so far 128 GB of ReRAM has a speed of 25.6 GB/s and 256 GB has a speed of 51.2 GB/s. How much of a difference do you think such a cache would have on actual performance in games and what developers could do in their games? Are we talking about a decent bump to what they could conceivably do, or is this a "throw the rule book out the window" sort of jump?

Keep in mind of course that we have no clue if ReRAM will make it into the PS5 and if it'll achieve those speeds, but I was wondering if you had any insights to this hypothetical scenario given your knowledge of the industry.

I'm not a storage or data-transfer expert so hard to give any good insight beyond what's been posted before. Historically most drives (even SSD I believe) had some onboard memory to help with data transfer. I'm not sure however if it's as necessary with NVME drives. Seems like interesting tech and surely Sony is investing here.

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, also remember someone saying there was no way ms would give up a 30% power advantage to sony and that people will have a hard time over the next 10 years dying on that power gap hill because MS created DirectX. So spot on.
Lmao damn it's getting hot in here. Good thing I'm on the hype train

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I'm not a storage or data-transfer expert so hard to give any good insight beyond what's been posted before. Historically most drives (even SSD I believe) had some onboard memory to help with data transfer. I'm not sure however if it's as necessary with NVME drives. Seems like interesting tech and surely Sony is investing here.
Many NVMe drives have local DRAM and configure a portion of the drive as SLC cache for faster access. The former isn't necessary as they can use system RAM.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Cool, thank you :)

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Can we just leave Albert alone about that shit. At this point he is just another member of the forum. Is there any point messing with him about that stuff.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Hmm, was rewatching the Persistent Memory Summit 2019 stream where the Sony rep was discussing ReRAM:

(ReRAM talk begins at 7:34:00)

At the start of the Q&A session afterwards when the host asks about the major focus for product and market, this is where he confirms they've accelerated their plans to 2020. Regarding the subject of product and market focus for the tech he says:

"I followed the Intel Optane solution, so customer needs a second solution right? To expand a new architecture for DRAM and NAND, between the DRAM and NAND solution the customer needs"

So it seems they were talking about using ReRAM as a cache here. Still really curious about this because estimates from random people online have 128 GB of ReRAM costing maybe 40 dollars or so, and they're preparing the tech for a 2020 launch. They've talked about sticking it right between the NAND and DRAM which is absolutely perfect for the PS5 as well. Unless there are reasons to believe they can't manufacture enough ReRAM chips I can't see any reason why they wouldn't be putting it in the PS5.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Iirc, Sony generally produces their own drives, probably a large part of the reason the PS4 Pro didn't support UHD discs was Sony didn't have an in- house drive ready yet. The disc verification method used on PS1 and PS2 is fairly simple and was implemented on the PS3's blu-ray drive. Keep in mind it was a method that dirt cheap PS1 and PS2 slims could implement, and still works pretty good.

Newer drives might not be optimized for random access anymore, on the other hand. But there there'll be enough RAM to cache any PS1 or PS2 disc in RAM, and the faster read speeds should make up for it.

Sunlight

Apr 22, 2019
Hmm, was rewatching the Persistent Memory Summit 2019 stream where the Sony rep was discussing ReRAM:

(ReRAM talk begins at 7:34:00)

At the start of the Q&A session afterwards when the host asks about the major focus for product and market, this is where he confirms they've accelerated their plans to 2020. Regarding the subject of product and market focus for the tech he says:

"I followed the Intel Optane solution, so customer needs a second solution right? To expand a new architecture for DRAM and NAND, between the DRAM and NAND solution the customer needs"

So it seems they were talking about using ReRAM as a cache here. Still really curious about this because estimates from random people online have 128 GB of ReRAM costing maybe 40 dollars or so, and they're preparing the tech for a 2020 launch. They've talked about sticking it right between the NAND and DRAM which is absolutely perfect for the PS5 as well. Unless there are reasons to believe they can't manufacture enough ReRAM chips I can't see any reason why they wouldn't be putting it in the PS5.

If PS5 has a SSD with 4~5GB/s and even 20GB RAM (games), RAM can be filled up in less than 4~5 sec. Why does PS5 still need ReRAM?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
If PS5 has a SSD with 4~5GB/s and even 20GB RAM (games), RAM can be filled up in less than 4~5 sec. Why does PS5 still need ReRAM?

Well for 128 GB ReRAM they could fill the RAM in under a second and with the 256 GB variant they could fill it in under half a second. I'm sure devs could figure out some unique and useful ways to take advantage of that huge speed boost to stream in assets.

My thinking is Sony is launching a brand new business segment with ReRAM and by having PlayStation as a customer that immediately gives it a mammoth contract. The PS5 and its extreme speeds could be used as a demonstration to other potential buyers of their ReRAM tech for their own applications.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

Z7PFykM.jpg

And out of a few Vega Cards,the 2080 Ti and some Titan GPU, all GPU card are 8 GB or less it means before game engine are made for exploit virtual texturing and tailor streaming around fast storage it is a viable RAM size.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.