• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
All this PC talk is derailing the thread further.

Edit: Didn't mean Aegon's troubles but the tired old discussion of "is 60fps a standards in PC?"

Last edited:

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this bit from nvidia gtc keynote, I dont know if it is posted.

"RTX 2080 > next gen console" or so nvidia think. they have had comparisons like this before in the past and it's been about right so yeah whatever.
Nvidia loves to belittle what AMD does that it's hilarious, and AMD has made some smart (and lucky) decisions that will make them lose ground to AMD in certain areas.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm, next gen gonna be expensive as fuck. Gotta redesign my Mancave, so that's probably $3-4k. Gonna eventually want a super duper great TV to take advantage of what these consoles can output so that's another $4-5k, gonna want a great audio system to take advantage of the 3D sound we're gonna get, so another $1-2k for that. After all that if I have any money left over then maybe I'll be able to actually afford the PS5 enjoy all of it :D

Gonna be keeping a close eye on this CES to see how advances in micro LED TVs are going.

Best value for money next year will be the 77" LG OLED C10 is my bet, around BF. Just in time for next gen ;)

I got the 65" C9 earlier this year, but for your budget I'd go for the 77" C10

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
AMD is way behind NVIDIA. I doubt they have something good to show at CES. I bet their flagship card won't be able to beat top tier 2080TI. I am excited to see what AMPERE has to offer.
I guess that's true. Maybe there is no reason for Nvidia to put out anything soon with the Super lineup having just released.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Best value for money next year will be the 77" LG OLED C10 is my bet, around BF. Just in time for next gen ;)

But I want a micro LED TV!!! 😭

Just gimme a Sony 80 inch CLED set with 8k resolution and 10,000 nit brightness and I swear I won't ask for anything else!!!! Oh, and all dat for $5k Canadian.

yes I'm aware the tech can't currently hit that pixel density or brightness, and that such a TV would cost more than most houses in today's market, but don't pee on my parade!

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reason why Nvidia wouldn't put up much is because Ampere is delayed after Samsung failed to deliver them their 7nm GPU. They moved back production to TSMC.

They might still lose the power battle, but AMD is on step to gain ground.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
70% of pc gamers play @1080p
5% play @4K

4k is a waste, 1440p is the sweet spot.
Most PC gamers don't have a GPU powerful enough for 4k. Most PC gamers are not gaming on 4k displays. It's a different market to consoles, which are more likely to be connected to a big 4k screen. And I say that as someone who has a RTX2080Ti hooked up to my C9, but I know I'm an extreme minority and the vast majority of PC gaming is not high end.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
But I want a micro LED TV!!! 😭

Just gimme a Sony 80 inch CLED set with 8k resolution and 10,000 nit brightness and I swear I won't ask for anything else!!!! Oh, and all dat for $5k Canadian.

yes I'm aware the tech can't currently hit that pixel density or brightness, and that such a TV would cost more than most houses in today's market, but don't pee on my parade!

That for the PS6 :P

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Hmm, I noticed the Beyond 3d folks also discussing the possibility of ReRAM being used with system RAM to create a massive pool of RAM for the PS5 to utilize. I kinda like the idea of 128 GB RERAM being paired with 16 GB of whatever RAM to effectively give the PS5 144 GB of RAM. Or even more ludicrous would be using the 256 GB ReRAM chips that are twice as fast as the 128 GB variant.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Please no.

Performance and fps is part of the overall quality of a game. I don't need crazy numbers like 120, but 4k resolution running at 60 fps is much better than higher draw distance or better foliage.

Nope. That's entirely subjective. For example, I tried TLOU remaster on both settings, and the visual quality mode offered more tangible benefits for me than the performance mode.

Given the option, I'll go with the 30fps mode and improved visuals next gen as well.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Listening to Phil on Najor Nelson's podcast and they brought up the subject of BC and how Phil looks at what happens on PC when you upgrade your rug your games perform better and how he wants that same experience in consoles.

I'm expecting big things from the Xbox team for XSX, though as we're talking about tech wizards I have no idea what they'll actually do?

Deleted member 19767

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Listening to Phil on Najor Nelson's podcast and they brought up the subject of BC and how Phil looks at what happens on PC when you upgrade your rug your games perform better and how he wants that same experience in consoles.

I'm expecting big things from the Xbox team for XSX, though as we're talking about tech wizards I have no idea what they'll actually do?

I imagine it will mean more regular console releases/refreshes.

Farmerboy

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne Australia
Hmmm, next gen gonna be expensive as fuck. Gotta redesign my Mancave, so that's probably $3-4k. Gonna eventually want a super duper great TV to take advantage of what these consoles can output so that's another $4-5k, gonna want a great audio system to take advantage of the 3D sound we're gonna get, so another $1-2k for that. After all that if I have any money left over then maybe I'll be able to actually afford the PS5 enjoy all of it :D

Gonna be keeping a close eye on this CES to see how advances in micro LED TVs are going.

I'm feeling you.
PS5 and games✅
New OLED✅
New atmos amp/reciever + speakers (?)✅
Start a 4k Ultra HD Bluray collection✅

Yeah....my wallet will be toast.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017

Out of interest, did you calibrate your set. Is it even worth it given the colour accuracy out of the box? Mine will be arriving in January and wondering if its even worth doing it.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Out of interest, did you calibrate your set. Is it even worth it given the colour accuracy out of the box? Mine will be arriving in January and wondering if its even worth doing it.

For what I've read, color accuracy is much better now out of rhe box that when I got my first OLED back in 2014. Back then many people did calibrate it, now not so many. But couldn't calibrate it even if I wanted to where I live, so I'm not super up to date. But that's what I read here and there.

But for sure looks much better out of box with the preset configuration than the 2014, 2015 and 2016 models that I did test before, some mine and some my friends, so I wouldn't worry.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019

I made a prediction earlier that they might find a way to raise the frame rate caps from 30 to 60 or something in BC games. That's typically the first thing that PC gamers want when they upgrade their rug.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I made a prediction earlier that they might find a way to raise the frame rate caps from 30 to 60 or something in BC games. That's typically the first thing that PC gamers want when they upgrade their rug.
I doubt they can as this probably mean they have to change code, per game, if this was not a variable frame rate in the beginning.
They might do it for their games, though, and perhaps some pubs will make a small patch to unlock the frame rate but I wouldn't expect much out of it.
I just hope that more and more games in the future support DRS and an unlocked frame rate mode, not only for VRR but also to future proof their own games.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Will be interesting to see how the mandatory ssd in both next gen consoles will influence pc gaming for multi plat games. Devs will optimise their games for ssds knowing all consoles have them, but will have to take slower hdds into account when porting to pc's due to ssds not being standard. It should not be much more effort, but still time consuming.

castaction

Oct 28, 2017

I want to see what bc will do in xsx, i hope not just a resolution but a framerate upgrade would be amazing

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Most PC gamers don't have a GPU powerful enough for 4k. Most PC gamers are not gaming on 4k displays. It's a different market to consoles, which are more likely to be connected to a big 4k screen. And I say that as someone who has a RTX2080Ti hooked up to my C9, but I know I'm an extreme minority and the vast majority of PC gaming is not high end.
Yeah, different market to consoles, but he is right. 4K is a waste. Especially for consoles. I think the 1440p thing is a bit misleading though, as I believe with consoles what we mostly would be getting would be 2160p.CB which outputs more than the native rez of 1440p and results in an image that is very close to native 4k.

I think its damn right irresponsible for a dev to invest almost 30-40% more GPU power and/or resources for something that amounts to only like a <5% gain in "noticeable" IQ. It's even more telling when you consider that at a glance most people can't tell the difference between native 4K and "well done" 4k.CB.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, different market to consoles, but he is right. 4K is a waste. Especially for consoles. I think the 1440p thing is a bit misleading though, as I believe with consoles what we mostly would be getting would be 2160p.CB which outputs more than the native rez of 1440p and results in an image that is very close to native 4k.

I think its damn right irresponsible for a dev to invest almost 30-40% more GPU power and/or resources for something that amounts to only like a <5% gain in "noticeable" IQ. It's even more telling when you consider that at a glance most people can't tell the difference between native 4K and "well done" 4k.CB.
I agree if its wel done. But still that PR talk about native 4K

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what I want to see?

Which is probably only possible with Xbox Series X, because Cerny seems more interested on a 1:1 BC emulation,

Something like Reshade where you can choose to toggle graphical upgrades, or even make your own post processing filters that you can share with people.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019

CB4K fans unite!

I don't think there are many graphical options that give you as poor a bang for buck as the GPU power spent pushing native 4K over good CB. ~40% of your GPU spent on something 90% of people won't notice. I personally don't see how anyone can justify it. Even if you feel you can notice it, emperor's new clothes style, the difference it makes to you will be less than the kind of graphics you would get with CB anyway.

A CB4K game will always look better than a native one overall. Any marginal loss in image clarity will be more than made up in the improvement in what is actually being displayed.

When even DF pixel crawling thought the DMCV demo thought it was native, but turned out later to be reconstructed, I find it very very hard to believe anyone can tell with their naked eye between native 4K and well done reconstruction.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019

What kinda TV are you buying that's going to cost you $4-5k? 😯

Last edited:

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
CB4K fans unite!

I don't think there are many graphical options that give you as poor a bang for buck as the GPU power spent pushing native 4K over good CB. ~40% of your GPU spent on something 90% of people won't notice. I personally don't see how anyone can justify it. Even if you feel you can notice it, emperor's new clothes style, the difference it makes to you will be less than the kind of graphics you would get with CB anyway.

A CB4K game will always look better than a native one overall. Any marginal loss in image clarity will be more than made up in the improvement in what is actually being displayed.

When even DF pixel crawling thought the DMCV demo thought it was native, but turned out later to be reconstructed, I find it very very hard to believe anyone can tell with their naked eye between native 4K and well done reconstruction.
I'm also a big fan of CB4k, I also like the idea of dynamic res being used more and more next gen..

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I was planning to buy the LG OLEDC9 but my living room is very light and those burn in issues give me some concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.