• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
You guys are seriously over thinking about this.

PS5 launching at 399 and being 10TF would be a mega ton.

XSX can have the 12 TF monster at 499, but if Sony can get the price jump it'll absolutely win everywhere in terms of sales.

They should do this and spend the rest of their R&D on PS5 Pro and make it the 599 flagship
if the only difference between them would be those 2 TFs, then yea sure i wouldnt mind pricing it $100 less.
but $100 less will require a lot more than that/force them to take a serious hit when compared to the hit MS is taking on the Series X.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You guys are seriously over thinking about this.

PS5 launching at 399 and being 10TF would be a mega ton.

XSX can have the 12 TF monster at 499, but if Sony can get the price jump it'll absolutely win everywhere in terms of sales.

They should do this and spend the rest of their R&D on PS5 Pro and make it the 599 flagship

You think the PS5 launches $100 less than the XSX? Does Lockhart launch at the same time or does it come later?

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
isnt the rumor that MS are launching them both at the same time? that is what i expect anyway.

See I thought that they would launch simultaneously, Series X and Series S. I dont see the point in staggering the release though I thought there was a consensus in this thread that Lockhart was/is coming later, post XSX?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
See I thought that they would launch simultaneously, Series X and Series S. I dont see the point in staggering the release though I thought there was a consensus in this thread that Lockhart was/is coming later, post XSX?
one important thing to remember.
there is no consensnsus for anything in this thread XD

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
before we knew it had always been in plans, and before we made the connection that Sparkman = Lockhart.

Dont think it's bad to launch later though, since the pieces are in place.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
You think the PS5 launches $100 less than the XSX? Does Lockhart launch at the same time or does it come later?
We have been so in the weeds trying to fight over something as small as 2 TF. 399 can ultimately resonate hard with customers. More so than any other variable.

Conceding the power crown in a thread like this is considered an embarasent - but Jim Ryan has said PS5 is looking to move customers over at a unseen pace.

XSX will ultimately retain the power crown and looks to have designed the system for greater power draw and thermals. It will come at a cost. $499?

Lockart looks to skimp on all the finer things and offer a baseline experience. $299 for it - and MS is looking to dent install base by millions.

PS5 needs to represent the best value per dollar for a console. If you get to 10 TF - even just barely - $399 can be a perfect price point where Lockhart looks like a massive downgrade and the XSX looks like unnecessary luxury. This is the angle I'd chase.

Last edited:

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a question for someone that's technically minded in the art of cooling..
Let's say Sony sticks by their design choices of the PS4 and Pro. Let's say they want to update the cooling solution, but by making it more evolutionary than revolutionary, by that I mean they dont go the Vapor chamber route, or something as exotic as watercooling. How would they go about doing that? We know the Pro and base PS4 has a single fan and relies on air circulation in a vacuum type system (because on the Pro for example, it works most efficient when the cover is on, rather than removed).

1) How could they evolve the same technique for the hardware in a 200-250+ watt box?
2)Would that be enough for a 2.0GHZ GPU, or would that high clock require something more exotic, like a vapor chamber type solution?
3) Would an evolution of this kind of system (like the existing Pro and PS4 Slim)be why theres so much ventilation on the dev kit? (meaning the retail system would have to be designed in a similar vein that incorporates that type/number of vents?
4) In a nutshell... just from the devkit vents, are tgey going in a completely different direction from how they handle cooling on the PS4 Slim/Pro?

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
We will have a better idea on some things after CES in early January. I expect Microsoft to talk more about Xbox Series X with AMD since Phil showed up at CES last year on stage with Lisa Su, and the overall RDNA2 GPU information may shed a light on what is realistic in general for these consoles.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
regarding pricing, also important to remember that PS5 isnt the premium sku, there wont be any other ways to play next gen games day one on the playstation platform than buying them on PS5, which incentivizes sony to take a bigger loss on it, FWIW i dont think MS are gonna be losing a lot of money on each Series X sold. There is not much business sense in a premium SKU that also sells at a major loss day one (that is, assuming lockhart/Series S is actually day one).
With that said, i still think PS5 is $499.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
That would be the thing that ties everything together: very powerful SKU, on par with the Series X, as everyone is saying, but also Jim Ryan's comments regarding fastest transition ever.

$499 the first year, $399 1-2y after, when the hardcore are fully bought in, (or even release a second console with less storage, for ex)

Also that would fit in with the HMB2 rumor, because that has more room to go down in price

Bingo!

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
PS5 needs to represent the best value per dollar for a console. If you get to 10 TF - even just barely - $399 can be a perfect price point where Lockhart looks like a massive downgrade and the XSX looks like unnecessaryuxury. This is the angle I'd chase.

I agree.

Not sure why would Sony give up the $399 price point.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Seems a bit predictable/vanilla/boring. Where's the megaton WOW moment? It is enshrined in gamer law we get at least one megaton talking point per gen.
Games and services will be the key defining selling point for both consoles instead of hardware, Microsoft will show off all the games that those studios that they purchased have been working on while Sony will flex with their worldwide studios.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
My thoughts, Oberon is a early devkit APU and since it's early it can't have more then 40CU and therefore has to be clocked high.
The APU in PS5 will have more CUs and lower clocks.
Sounds reasonable?
It isn't. DrKeo explained yesterday here why something like that is highly unrealistic.APU design was done in 2018 already,you can not add more CUs, change memory controller and big things like that anymore.They can possibly double the memory in clamshell mode and raise CPU or GPU clocks and stuff like that.

Decade_2050

May 19, 2019
User warned: Discussion of banned sources; Disregarding staff post
Latest PS5 posting from the other place.. has anyone determined if this guy was legit or FOS

Shading Units: 3,328
TMUS: 208
ROPS: 88
Compute Units: 52
L1 Cache: 32 KB (Per CU)
L2 Cache: 4MB
Clock ~ 2.0Ghz
Memory Type: ---
Memory Size: ---
Bus Width: ---

Ombala

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It isn't. DrKeo explained yesterday here why something like that is highly unrealistic.APU design was done in 2018 already,you can not add more CUs, change memory controller and big things like that anymore.They can possibly double the memory in clamshell mode and raise CPU or GPU clocks and stuff like that.
How is APU design done in 2018 if it's using RDNA 2 features?

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Cause Sony (and MS) has access to newest AMD tech that still didn't hit the consumer market. That's how PS4 Pro had some tech from AMD Vega (Rapid packed math) before Vega was even launched.That's how both PS4 and XB1 had Jaguar CPU in 2013,before Jaguar was launched while AMD was still selling Bobcat (Jaguar's predecessor) APUs to mass market.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
because all 2 have been working with the Navi architecture since the beginning, especially Sony.

Ariel for instance, is GFX1000, the first to get the Navi codename. There's hardware ray tracing, confirmed. Late 2020 for RDNA2 to be released. Journalists saying both are essentially the same.

All point towards both consoles using RDNA2.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hell I'd take an avatar bet that the rumor Sony worked closely with AMD for Navi is true.

also because I could use a new avatar

Ombala

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Cause Sony (and MS) has access to newest AMD tech that still didn't hit the consumer market. That's how PS4 Pro had some tech from AMD Vega (Rapid packed math) before Vega was even launched.That's how both PS4 and XB1 had Jaguar CPU in 2013,before Jaguar was launched while AMD was still selling Bobcat (Jaguar's predecessor) APUs to mass market.
In that case they would also have access to Big Navi?

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
In that case they would also have access to Big Navi?
Of course.But if Ariel (Navi 10 Lite) is really GPU part of PS5 then probably it's not big Navi but some Navi 10 derivate/modification with hardware RT.We heard that AMD worked closely with Sony on Navi graphics so the GPU in PS5 in specifically tailored to what Sony asked for.

We'll find out soon i hope...

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The issue with this is the assumption that sony changed their APU in 2019, rather than planning this and making an early prototype (its possible because Ariel was the first Navi die, was in development before even the development of the desktop navi), which means they had a built prototype navi with some of sony's features. Because of that they could have sent devkits early. So they could have sent early prototype kits, and then send a RDNA 2 based kit. Sony can do that because they were a significant part of all the development process.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
I was thinking over the 2nd APU stuff. It would make sense if Gonzalo was for $399 base model, and a later bigger APU was for a Pro model. Devs program for the base model, and the games would auto scale to the higher end model.

i.e. how games scale from 2070 super to 2080 TI easily.

PS5: ~8-9TF $399
PS5 Pro: 13-14TF $599

I think a dual SKU fits all the leaks and rumors we have thus far logically. i.e. maybe Klee's friend and Reiner saw the specs for the pro SKU. Komachi and AquariusZ only had access to the base model info.

In your opinion, wouldn't you say it would just be smarter to release them simultaneously? I mean considering a massive amount of People didn't opt for the Pro during the mid cycle refresh, releasing the Pro 3-4 years into the generation wouldn't affect a lot of Players. Hell, there's still People JUST getting a PS4 now.

I do get the idea of having hardware with current, updated specs down the road. Perhaps a Pro v2 revision or something? Something about Microsoft with a supposed Lockheart SKU gives more people a chance to get in the cheapest way possible. Jim Ryan's quote has been floating in this thread about the Player migration to PS5 ASAP. There has to be another SKU to systematically make that work somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.