• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentFlyer

Oct 26, 2017
How about an interesting question PS5 or XSX :

1. If both machines are the same power - which are you buying?
2. If your preferred platform is 15 percent weaker - which are you buying?

In both situations I'm going with PS5.

PS5 in both cases. I'm heavily invested in PS ecosystem, and don't think I plan to leave that. I had both systems this gen, and beside playing few exclusives on XBO, I never turned that on. I might buy Xbox few years down the road but not in early years after it's released.

I hope one day Sony and MS collaborate and develop single console which play games from both, Sony and MS.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
The question is, did Sony know that his is what is going to happen and in addition, did MS know?
Btw, by all accounts i think we'd heard by now some whispers/rumors if one of the HBM manufacturers (Samsung/Hynix) is ramping up production on such a massive scale for next gen console,right? And we heard nothing.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Btw, by all accounts i think we'd heard by now some whispers/rumors by now if one of the HBM manufacturers is ramping up production on such a massive scale for next gen console,right? And we heard nothing.

No, if this is secret here at least we have something some analysts saying there is a huge decrease in the HBM price. There is no other event that can decrease the price so much. We don't even have the TFlops of the PS5 GPU or the speed of the SSD, it seems this time things have being hide very well.

EDIT: And we had one rumor, the reddit one...

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019

I will get ps5 doesn't matter how many tflops it has. Because of exclusives. Xbox I can play on my PC that is more capable.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
I'd have to go for the PS5 in both cases as I just can't miss out on Sony Exclusives. I know they are very similar but those are the games I enjoy the most.

I feel launch wise we'll have

Resistance, Gran Turismo 7 and a Sony Japan title with Horizon 2 being launch window.
Bluepoint game is for launch too.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
No, if this is secret here at least we have something some analysts saying there is a huge decrease in the HBM price. There is no other event that can decrease the price so much. We don't even have the TFlops of the PS5 GPU or the speed of the SSD, it seems this time things have being hide very well.
I don't think big public companies like Samsung or Hynix would be able to completely hide that-it would require big investments in production facilities,fabs and whatnot.We would get at least some vague rumor from one of the South Korean papers/tech sites.And we got no such info/rumor whatsoever.Not to mention PS5 will go into full production in the next few months.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I was watching TheWANShow and Linus mentioned that with VRS they can get a lot of performance at 4K which could make 60fps/120fps more common. Pretty excited to see how much devs can squeeze out of next-gen systems with that feature.
Definitely excited to see how VRS helps games next-gen. It'll should be an excellent feature.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I don't think big public companies like Samsung or Hynix would be able to completely hide that-it would require big investments in production facilities,fabs and whatnot.We would get at least some vague rumor from one of the South Korean papers/tech sites.And we got no such info/rumor whatsoever.Not to mention PS5 will go into full production in the next few months.

We will see ;) There is a reason for this huge decrease of price maybe you have a more logical explanation...

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
with all the new display technologies that may or may not be taken advantage of by an individual users TV, like +60 fps, VRR, etc, is it safe to assume that next gen games will have at least two presets, one locking the framerate at the target and the other an unlocked mode? seems like a no brainer.

axo_tio

Oct 25, 2017
Mike Ybarra (ex-VP of Xbox, now at Blizzard) confirms through a Youtube live chat reply (lol) that I/O speeds on PS5 are better than anything seen on PC, also implying XSX could be similar.

dw6OnWE.jpg

Note that in the first part of the message he is referring to XSX, as the people in the video where talking about XSX(not Sony/PS5) and how would it compare to high-end gaming PCs of today. Then in the second part he states that what Sony has shown is in fact (better than the PC has ever seen).

The video in question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcZtZaZmGwM

You can see him in chat starting from 1:01:41, although he doesn't say anything really noteworthy. He makes a few remarks like 8K being far away, how you can't just directly compare console integrated hardware to PC hardware, and also complaining about people focusing too much on XBox Series X as a name, instead of focusing in other more relevant core values.

The bit about I/O comes at 1:29:30 and the host notices it and replies at 1:30:39.

What's interesting to me is that while he confirms Sony's claims, he doesn't seem so certain about XSX matching those specs, he just expects it. This is strange because with him being now at Blizzard, you would think he has access to both devkits.

(This comes from another thread but the mods closed it, asking to keep this kind of crazy talk contained in this thread.)

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
There are not tons of things who can happen someone did a huge order of HBM and the memory is on the verge of going from a low volume market to a very high volume one. There is not tons of company able to make the market change out of Sony and Microsoft needing a huge amount of HBM2 for a console. And it seems MS choose GDDR6.

EDIT: I don't expect 16 GB of HBM2 in the console but 8 GB of HBM2 with HBCC if everything can fit inside the "VRAM" this is ok and it will work well. With virtual texturing, the reserved place for the RAM will decrease a lot for example. Tons of thing can be streamed very fast in RAM (geometry...). Everything is ok if there is enough place for texture, geometry, and runtime generated data structure (BVH, Voxel Texture or Point-based color bleeding(surfel) or other...). My only concern is with cross-gen games before game engines are modified to take account of the new fast storage reality.
i am sure that they saw a roadmap for it. and to be honest, knowing that the console would be out in 2020/2019, its possible that sony made a deal early on, but based on projected HBM prices, instead of the actual price of HBM by now, those HBM manufacturers needs major partners, so signing with a 100m selling console manufacturer and offering strong terms early on to make sure the deal is sustained makes sense.

thats the rumor I think, that some of the high end RDNA2 chips willl use HBM instead of GDDR6.
The 8GB + 16GB rumor is pretty fake. I mean, maybe Sony does have that setup but whoever created that rumor was faking it considering details like the 7nm PS4, the 256-bit DDR4 bus and the fact that the HBM2 was running even slower than the memory on the 5700XT. The setup in the rumor was basically all short comings with almost no advantages so I find it really hard to believe.

Will the PS5 have HBM2 + DDR4 setup? Who knows, but I'm putting my money on GDDR6, especially after we saw Flute is using GDDR6 :)

Btw, by all accounts i think we'd heard by now some whispers/rumors if one of the HBM manufacturers (Samsung/Hynix) is ramping up production on such a massive scale for next gen console,right? And we heard nothing.

EDIT: And we had one rumor, the reddit one...
Honestly, it seems a bit weird to me that HBM2 had dropped from 320$ per 16GB to 120$ per 16GB in the past 10 months, almost x3 times cheaper, and we didn't even hear anything about it. It should have been an earthquake in the industry, reported by every tech site, but no one is talking about it. Does anyone here have access to TechInsights so we can check the numbers?

Regarding the wishes of HBM2 for dropping the price, I'm not sure they really want to. HMB2 is king in the server market and the server market isn't price sensitive so I'm not sure they want HBM2 to be dirt cheap.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mike Ybarra (ex-VP of Xbox, now at Blizzard) confirms through a Youtube live chat reply (lol) that I/O speeds on PS5 are better than anything seen on PC, also implying XSX could be similar.

dw6OnWE.jpg

Note that in the first part of the message he is referring to XSX, as the people in the video where talking about XSX(not Sony/PS5) and how would it compare to high-end gaming PCs of today. Then in the second part he states that what Sony has shown is in fact (better than the PC has ever seen).

The video in question:

You can see him in chat starting from 1:01:41, although he doesn't say anything really noteworthy. He makes a few remarks like 8K being far away, how you can't just directly compare console integrated hardware to PC hardware, and also complaining about people focusing too much on XBox Series X as a name, instead of focusing in other more relevant core values.

The bit about I/O comes at 1:29:30 and the host notices it and replies at 1:30:39.

What's interesting to me is that while he confirms Sony's claims, he doesn't seem so certain about XSX matching those specs, he just expects it. This is strange because with him being now at Blizzard, you would think he has access to both devkits.

(This comes from another thread but the mods closed it, asking to keep this kind of crazy talk contained in this thread.)

He literally helped create the XSX so he knows

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
The 8GB + 16GB rumor is pretty fake. I mean, maybe Sony does have that setup but whoever created that rumor was faking it considering details like the 7nm PS4, the 256-bit DDR4 bus and the fact that the HBM2 was running even slower than the memory on the 5700XT. The setup in the rumor was basically all short comings with almost no advantages so I find it really hard to believe.

Will the PS5 have HBM2 + DDR4 setup? Who knows, but I'm putting my money on GDDR6, especially after we saw Flute is using GDDR6 :)

Honestly, it seems a bit weird to me that HBM2 had dropped from 320$ per 16GB to 120$ per 16GB in the past 10 months, almost x3 times cheaper, and we didn't even hear anything about it. It should have been an earthquake in the industry, reported by every tech site, but no one is talking about it. Does anyone here have access to TechInsights so we can check the numbers?

I am putting my money on HBM 2 + DDR4 no idea of the configuration but this is my bet.

EDIT: I was on the HBM2 + DDR4 side and after I was on the GDDR6 side but I don't think I will change of side before reveal.

Last edited:

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

dw6OnWE.jpg

The video in question:

It was already talked about in here yesterday.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017

PS5

I have gamepass on PC locked till 2022, and if the Lockhart console is legit. I will still have no issues running any game I want to play from Microsoft.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

dw6OnWE.jpg

The video in question:

Yeah, we talked about this yesterday.

That thread was interesting, lol. Interesting times ahead for sure.

Mysterious Sony is getting on my damn nerves.

Oct 30, 2017
PS5 in both cases. I'm heavily invested in PS ecosystem, and don't think I plan to leave that. I had both systems this gen, and beside playing few exclusives on XBO, I never turned that on. I might buy Xbox few years down the road but not in early years after it's released.

I hope one day Sony and MS collaborate and develop single console which play games from both, Sony and MS.
Same. I'm too invested in the ecosystem to just switch to Microsoft over a little bit of power.
I'm also not going to forgo God of War 2 over a small power difference. Plus there's always mid gen refreshes.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019

States fastest most powerful console ever. Could be another wording mess up but worth noting since it's from an official xbox channel. MS is sure acting like they know the specs of both consoles.

Therealap99

Banned
Dec 19, 2019

Same here. PlayStation 5 will have true exclusives and VR support. After ps4 and all the games I've played and how much I've invested into the ecosystem, it'd be crazy for me to switch. Especially when I can just play the Xbox games on pc anyways.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
0:23 "The Xbox Series X will be the fastest, most powerful console ever and set a new bar for speed and compatibility"

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

States fastest most powerful console ever. Could be another wording mess up but worth noting since it's from an official xbox channel. MS is sure acting like they know the specs of both consoles.

0:23 "The Xbox Series X will be the fastest, most powerful console ever and set a new bar for speed and compatibility"

Well, there it is. Sony pack it up no need for PSM 2020 event.

Oct 25, 2017
I was reading over that original HBM rumor again and the stuff about falling NAND prices, the memory solution alleviating PS4 memory issues, etc... In conjunction with the other stuff like the cooling patent that suggests HBM usage, that verified GAF lad mentioning Sony doing something different with their RAM, I think it is happening. Believe.

dw6OnWE.jpg

The video in question:

I'm fully expecting PS5 to deliver the SSD Cerny mentioned.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah with BC, and my ps4 unfinished backlog collection.. sony already has me by the nuts next gen.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

this might actually just mean they expect to launch a bit before Sony does, or yeah they are fairly confident they are more powerful, or yeah just a wording mistake and they meant to say most powerful Xbox again.

Oct 25, 2017
Phil already said that as well. It simply doesn't fit a certain narrative, so people are ignoring it.

That's because the messaging is smart/deceptive.

You'd have a point if the marketing also didn't say "most powerful/fastest Xbox we've created."

But the inclusion of the term "Xbox" is like fine print that applies to all marketing. This is doubly apparent on the messaging in the reveal as well.

"Fastest. Most Powerful. Xbox."

There's a reason for that. If they end up being the most powerful, it works. If they don't, well, the qualifier "Xbox" was always there.

Oct 25, 2017
I think they're confident in their box is all I'm surmising. They'll have to really change their marketing if PS5 is more powerful.
I think that is the main takeaway, yeah. They've built a really good system. The specifics and fine details will come early next year because we won't get anywhere trying to deduce facts from what has been said up to this point.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I'd have to go for the PS5 in both cases as I just can't miss out on Sony Exclusives. I know they are very similar but those are the games I enjoy the most.

I feel launch wise we'll have

Resistance, Gran Turismo 7 and a Sony Japan title with Horizon 2 being launch window.
That seems spot on if you replace Resistance with Ratchet & Clank 2, and add Bluepoint's remake.

He literally helped create the XSX so he knows
What this means is that you believe he knows the exact customizations being made to the SSD. He says "could" which is purely speculation on his part. Meanwhile he confirms things that he already knows to be fact about the PS5's SSD, and what has been a known entity for a few months now.

You'd have a point if the marketing also didn't say "most powerful/fastest Xbox we've created."

But the inclusion of the term "Xbox" is like fine print that applies to all marketing. This is doubly apparent on the messaging in the reveal as well.

There's a reason for that. If they end up being the most powerful, it works. If they don't, well, the qualifier "Xbox" was always there.
It's like some people enjoy falling for obvious PR tactics.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

That's in a different sentence.
There's a stand-alone, unambiguous sentence where they say they'll be the most powerful. Can't really walk that back.

Ofc people are ignoring it, it's PR.

This is a rumor thread. Hand waving away a solid data point as 'PR' is weird.

Last edited:

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I think they're confident in their box is all I'm surmising. They'll have to really change their marketing if PS5 is more powerful.
They've earned a right to be confident. Regardless of how the PS5 shakes out the Series X specs are above what most of us were expecting. We're getting awesome consoles next time around and I cannot wait to see what devs can do with this caliber of hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.