• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't know, we know both are going to have specific customizations for the same technology. They will each have certain parts that are better than the other. I think it is more a question of how much of a difference they will have rather than there being one at all. Just based on everything up to this point, I figure Sony's SSD will be one of their highlights.

Yeah I think Sony will definitely have the better SSD, should have pointed it out in my prediction. But I think it will lead to like a 1ish second difference in loading time.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Alright going to make a prediction based on legitimate information we have as well as context clues. No idea if I'm wrong but I feel pretty confident. Once new info comes out I may change.

XSX 12-12.5 TF, 2 GB/S SSD, GDDR6 Ram launches at 499, with Lockhart launching at 299-350

PS5 10.5-11TF, 2 GB/S SSD, GDDR6 Ram, launches at 499

The way Xbox has worded everything so far has me decently confident they believe they're going to win the power "battle" and the lack of info regarding Sony leads me to believe they're not exactly in a rush to get their info out there.

Those prices arrangements feel so convenient for a great scenario for MS and a terrible one for Sony. I wonder why...

ArabianPrynce

Jun 1, 2019
Alright going to make a prediction based on legitimate information we have as well as context clues. No idea if I'm wrong but I feel pretty confident. Once new info comes out I may change.

XSX 12-12.5 TF, 2 GB/S SSD, GDDR6 Ram launches at 499, with Lockhart launching at 299-350

PS5 10.5-11TF, 2 GB/S SSD, GDDR6 Ram, launches at 499

The way Xbox has worded everything so far has me decently confident they believe they're going to win the power "battle" and the lack of info regarding Sony leads me to believe they're not exactly in a rush to get their info out there.
What kind of fucking reasoning is that? lmao.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think Sony will definitely have the better SSD, should have pointed it out in my prediction. But I think it will lead to like a 1ish second difference in loading time.
SSDs can open up new opportunities in game design, not just facilitate fewer loading times.

I think you're wrong based off of the info we know about. #shrug
Except this isn't just tales from the the rear, which seems to be where you're getting your assurances from.

Please see some of the responses above in regards to the SSD, if you're not sure what that info I'm referring to is.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
User Warned: Antagonizing Another User Over a Series of Posts
Great now we're getting a bunch of troll predictions
My speculation based on the information we have:

XSX
8c/16t Zen 2 @ 3.4 GHz
12 TF Navi
16 GB GDDR6
1 TB SSD (2GB/s)
$499

PS5
8c/16t Zen 2 @ 3.5 GHz
13.2 TF Navi
16 GB HBM2 + 16 GB DDR4
1 TB SSD (5GB/s)
$449

We heard that PS5 is 10% more powerful, also I think if they go split RAM like it's rumored, they will go big. Why add another memory controller for just 8 GB? DDR4 is cheap, and they save power with HBM. The SSD is obviously extremely fast according to Cerny/developers. And regarding price, I think Sony will be very aggressive, and they can be aggressive, because of higher volume. But in the end it's of course all about the games, and I think both Xbox and PS5 will get great ones, so no one should be worried. Next-gen will be crazy!
PS5 more powerful and less expensive. How's it going Spinningbirdkick? (or whatever his name was)

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
Y'all just talking about the SSD and the man's prediction had a split memory pool setup of 16GB HBM2 and 16GB DDR4. Like, what? Bruh, the HBM2 alone would cost more than half the "predicted" cost of the box, lmao.

xRaymne

Banned
Sep 20, 2019

PS5 more powerful and less expensive. How's it going Spinningbirdkick? (or whatever his name was)
I'm sorry but I don't see the "troll" in that post. Might be a bit optimistic from a Sony point of view, but PS4 was more powerful and less expensive this gen..

Both kind of predictions are welcome in my honest opinion pro MS and pro Sony. As a semi-lurker I love to read other peoples predictions.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Both are 499 what's the big deal? Both boxes will basically be identical.
Except that they aren't... who in their right mind would buy the PS4 when priced the same but weaker in pretty much every other way?

I read your prediction as one of those I can't help myself type posts.

We literally don't have any actual info on what the PS5 specs will be so I'm going off of what has been said.
And that's what makes this worse... cause you are very conveniently picking and choosing "what has been said".

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017

But that's what happened this gen? Wouldn't surprise me if it will be similar with next-gen. Microsoft seems to be adamant to split their user base between different console versions (Series X / Lockhart), which might lead to lower volumes for each SKU, and to more uncertainty (which SKU will sell more?), making negotiations possibly harder. Sony won't have any of those problems, and PlayStation is one of the main pillars of Sony, so I think they will be aggressive. That's why I think they might be priced that way. Regarding power, that's just the latest rumors we have heard from devs / insiders.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
I'm sorry but I don't see the "troll" in that post. Might be a bit optimistic from a Sony point of view, but PS4 was more powerful and less expensive this gen..

Both kind of predictions are welcome in my honest opinion pro MS and pro Sony. As a semi-lurker I love to read other peoples predictions.
I think he's saying he is the troll. Only pops in to defend his console;too make sure things are in order. Ignore. Move on. You'll not miss anything of value.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Both are 499 what's the big deal? Both boxes will basically be identical.

I mean you put the Xbox SX as the more powerful one - which I believe is something completely doable btw - at the same price as the PS5.
Then you go and throw another less powerful plataform and cut US200 cuz reasons.
Your reasoning isn't at least cohesive.
If you at least tried to balance things like better SSD solution, better CPU or whatever.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean you put the Xbox SX as the more powerful one - which I believe is something completely doable btw - at the same price as the PS5.
Then you go and throw another less powerful plataform and cut US200 cuz reasons.
Your reasoning isn't at least cohesive.
If you at least tried to balance things like better SSD solution, better CPU or whatever.

I probably shouldn't have listed specs because I'm not too familiar with them, but if I had to guess Xbox will probably aim for the most powerful console while Sony will claim the fastest

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
It seems PS5 SSD is faster than current PC SSD. It was in Xbox podcast chatroom last week in a Xbox Podcast.

20191210.jpg

He has seen Prospero devkit since he works at Activision Blizzard.

Sony must have upgraded the ninjas, but it is nice to hear some new info. And he used to work for MS. Nice to see unbiased posts.

Wait, you mean to tell me the piece of tech Sony has emphasized the most since next gen started....is actually as good as they say it will be?! How?!

It will just turn into downplaying the specific parts that are better in each machine. We've already seen that now.

I mean they did demo it, one would think it was a big deal to them. So...can we take this as a legit speculation point now or......

So much I wanted to say the past few days, folks already beat me to it. Next gen is shaping up to be...next gen. I can't wait for the games, my god.

Love is all we need, the secret sauce is love. If anything Klee said that should be remembered, it's to be kinder to each other. Please don't take all this too serious. Like someone said, it's more trying to solve a puzzle instead of trying to figure out if X machine is better than Y machine. Its kind of easy to tell what posts are in good faith. Be excited for all tech, not just what's in your preferred platform.

Xbox thread is pretty much polar opposite of this one.

I wonder why that is......on that note, where is the thread about the Series X and similar info? Legit question. Did they move it to OT?
I've learned that if you ignore the overzealous people in the thread, it's a more enjoyable experience.
It really does help.

Last edited:

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
But that's what happened this gen? Wouldn't surprise me if it will be similar with next-gen. Microsoft seems to be adamant to split their user base between different console versions (Series X / Lockhart), which might lead to lower volumes for each SKU, and to more uncertainty, making negotiations possibly harder. Sony won't have any of those problems, and PlayStation is one of the main pillars of Sony, so I think they will be aggressive. That's why I think they might be priced that way. Regarding power, that's just the latest rumors we have heard from devs / insiders.
If the PS5 is better in pretty much every way like in your prediction, Series X will be less expensive than it. There's no reason to think that Xbox won't be just as aggressive, as they have a renewed backing from MS.

Aug 26, 2019
I wouldn't hold my breath, there will most likely be a Ratchet game before the next Spiderman game. I am expecting both the next spiderman and GOW games to come in the same year, and sometime in 2022.
Imran speculated that it's coming "earlier than you expect" and guessed Holiday 2021, though it could get pushed to 2022. If it's 2021, I expect it to be announced some time in 2020, I think a PSX announcement a year out would make sense. Also gives PS5 an extra little jolt soon after launch. Nothing too huge, just a little announcement trailer.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Except that they aren't... who in their right mind would buy the PS4 when priced the same but weaker in pretty much every other way?

I read your prediction as one of those I can't help myself type posts.

And that's what makes this worse... cause you are very conveniently picking and choosing "what has been said".
Really? How do you feel about mine?

I think we all have the same rights to make our prediction. You don't have to agree but a prediction doesn't fit in somebody's point of view isn't trolling.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
So despite Mark C stating definitively that the SSD would be faster than anything available at the time of that article we're just going to low-ball it because "hey, why not?" And PS5 is going to be better in every category but also come in $50 cheaper? Hey man, are y'all alright?

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Antagonizing other users.
"KLee was right" will be repeated often. And it will be glorious to the see the reactions/meltdowns. Some are barely holding it together right now.

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Antagonizing other members.
Wow, seeing some names I haven't seen in a long time pop up in this thread. Xbox-era on high alert or something?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
My speculation based on the information we have:

XSX
8c/16t Zen 2 @ 3.4 GHz
12 TF Navi
16 GB GDDR6
1 TB SSD (2GB/s)
$499

PS5
8c/16t Zen 2 @ 3.5 GHz
13.2 TF Navi
16 GB HBM2 + 16 GB DDR4
1 TB SSD (5GB/s)
$449

We heard that PS5 is 10% more powerful, also I think if they go split RAM like it's rumored, they will go big. Why add another memory controller for just 8 GB? DDR4 is cheap, and they save power with HBM. The SSD is obviously extremely fast according to Cerny/developers. And regarding price, I think Sony will be very aggressive, and they can be aggressive, because of higher volume. But in the end it's of course all about the games, and I think both Xbox and PS5 will get great ones, so no one should be worried. Next-gen will be crazy!

just some notes:
Xbox CPU was 3.6 GHz
16 GB GDDR6, but 3 GB reserved for OS.

your PS5 prediction is fairly optimistic.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I probably shouldn't have listed specs because I'm not too familiar with them, but if I had to guess Xbox will probably aim for the most powerful console while Sony will claim the fastest

Now that's something that I can see.
Each team targeting different aspects and getting the edge in what they are focusing more.

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
iirc, Klee said XSX SSD was fast, but that PS5 SSD was really, really fast. Probably 3.5+ GB/s

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I guess common sense only applies to Xbox predictions huh?
From the first Wired interview: "Cerny claims that it has a raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs."
Higher than 3.5GB/s is more than 2GB/s AFAIK
Common sense for them is believe Phil and good xbox news but no one else.
What is funny is Cerny is a hardware and software guy and knows more about that stuff than Phil ever will.

Y'all just talking about the SSD and the man's prediction had a split memory pool setup of 16GB HBM2 and 16GB DDR4. Like, what? Bruh, the HBM2 alone would cost more than half the "predicted" cost of the box, lmao.

No it won't since the price of HBM2 has gone down .
It's in the thread if you want to read about it.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
If the PS5 is better in pretty much every way like in your prediction, Series X will be less expensive than it. There's no reason to think that Xbox won't be just as aggressive, as they have a renewed backing by MS.

I'm not so sure about that, like I said:

- Sony knows that their next console will probably sell 80-100M -> Helps with negotiating contracts.

- For Microsoft this isn't guaranteed (XO sold 45M), they likely have to be more careful -> Makes negotiating contracts harder.

- Microsoft wants to have different SKUs from beginning, which means lower volumes for certain parts ordered - > Makes negotiating contracts harder.

- MIcrosoft doesn't know how XSX and Lockhart will sell. Will XSX sell more? Or Lockhart? - > Makes planning and negotiating contracts harder.

That's why I think they will initially price XSX at $499, and Lockhart maybe at $349, which is similar to current gen. Of course they will try to reduce price if Sony turns out to be cheaper, or will try pack-ins with Game Pass. But initially I think it's $499 for XSX.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'll be made my predictions in the past so I'll just update them since the reveal is around what I predicted in March this year, Lockhart not so much:

No chiplets this time!

Xbox Series S:
8 core Zen at ~3.4 ghz, 16 threads, 7nm+
12GB of GDDR6 on 192-bit bus, 330gb/s, 3GB reserved for OS
24 CU at 1400 mhz, 4 teraflops,
1TB SSD at 2+GB/s
$299

XBOX Series X:
8 core Zen at 3.6 ghz, 16 threads, 7nm+
20GB of GDDR6 on 320-bit bus, 640gb/s, 4GB reserved for OS, 1GB extra for full 8k buffer for OS.
60 CU at 1600 mhz, 12.3 teraflops, 7nm+
1TB SSD at 2+GB/s
$499

PS5 prediction from May adjusted with Komachis leaks and other deductions:

8 core zen 3.2+ ghz
16GB GB GDDR6, ~500GB/s 2-3GB reserved for OS
4GB DDR4, 2GB for OS, 2GB for SSD Cache
Navi GPU 36CU, 64 ROPS at 2-2.15ghz, 9.2-9.9 TF
1 TB SSD at 4+GB/s
$399

Last edited:

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly wish the X series had a voice command built in it. No lie. I miss my OG bone days. That was the only thing Kinect was good for. Bring back Kinect!

Status
Not open for further replies.