• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
Okay tell me this.
How can the reference base be lower than 3.5GB/s when they literally said "higher read bandwidth than ANY SSD on PC"

EDIT : i apologize for the double post
If this is the case why don't simply state more than 3.5GB/s? Again, no hard numbers and the freedom to choice a reference.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Why are we basing things on past designs and not future ones that consoles will be based on? Wasn't there a leak of 80CU GPU?

We have seen how bad AMD cards are in thermals with anything above 1600mhz, more cu at lower frequency and process shrink will produce less heat than trying to push high frequency.

I highly doubt that Sony is doing 1800-2000MHz, more likely 64cu with 4 disabled and doing 1600 while MS is currently doing 1475MHz.

From past designs like Pro and X models had lower clocks and more CU than equivalent offerings.

Going for top of the line GPUs didn't make sense as they had no access to CPU to match.

I've yet to see an AMD card that pushes above 64 CUs so that's all I'm going on. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but so far I'm all pressxtodoubt.jpg on this until AMD shows us more CUs.

I don't see PS5 being 36 CUs either. Seems... low, unless they are really somehow pushing 2Ghz clocks.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
If ps 5 is more powerful than XSeX, we are going to be looking at 500 dollar consoles at launch minimum, it just seems too expensive.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Interesting that Sony hasn't confirmed GDDR6 yet...

Would going with HBM affect the possibility of ReRAM at all? Would HBM interfere with the ReRAM memory?

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Why not? 499 just means more opportunities to drop price later. Ps4 dropped to 299 after 3 years and didnt have another permanent price cut since
Exactly.And that tells us they can launch again $399 console without any price cut for years to come.
Why launch expensive console ,like PS3, that needs several price cuts to have successful sales?

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
If this is the case why don't simply state more than 3.5GB/s? Again, no hard numbers and the freedom to choice a reference.

Why does Microsoft say 2x the power of Xbox One X instead of giving actual numbers? Nobody's got numbers for us right now. They must be saving that stuff for the final reveals.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
From where I'm sitting, it seems like:

• PS5's SSD could be faster
  • Xbox SX's SSD can be used as VRAM
  • Microsoft has a patented Variable Refresh Shading solution that will help with higher FPS

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Exactly.And that tells us they can launch again $399 console without any price cut for years to come.
Why launch expensive console ,like PS3, that needs several price cuts to have successful sales?
Also, companies don't like having to cut the price early, it shows weakness and usually a sign of failure (for instance the 3DS).

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Why does Microsoft say 2x the power of Xbox One X instead of giving actual numbers? Nobody's got numbers for us right now. They must be saving that stuff for the final reveals.
For me, Phil Spensor retweeting and affirmation of "they do good work" DF's analysis of raw number 12 TF is plenty confirmation.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Okay tell me this.
How can the reference base be lower than 3.5GB/s when they literally said "higher read bandwidth than ANY SSD on PC"

EDIT : i apologize for the double post

Cerny said bandwidth. Not read/write speeds. Higher bandwidth, technically, can just be the theoretical max bandwidth of pcie4 vs pcie3.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
A $599 PS3 with a horrible launch went on to sell 85M+ units.

A $499 PS5 with a presumably good or great launch will reach 100M+ units.
PS3 was financial disaster for Sony and almost ruined the entire company.I'm sure they don't want to repeat that experience ,pricing included, ever again.

Potential $499 PS5 sales would slow down sometime in 2021 already and would need a price cut, just like Series X, for 2021 holiday season.

Oct 25, 2017
PS3 was financial disaster for Sony and almost ruined the entire company.I'm sure they don't want to repeat that experience ,pricing included, ever again.

Potential $499 PS5 sales would slow down sometime in 2021 already and would need a price cut, just like Series X, for 2021 holiday season.
That is my point. You're only looking at price. There are a bunch of factors that go along with price that can influence how much they end up selling LTD.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
That is my point. You're only looking at price. There are a bunch of factors that go along with price that can influence how much they end up selling LTD.
And my point is that Sony executives will be in for a rude awakening if they think $499 PS5 would sell as well as $399 PS4, no matter what tech it has inside.Not to mention "massive and fast transition" to the next gen that Jim Ryan was talking about.That's all :)

Btw,i wish we learn the price at the PS Meeting in Feb. but i'm afraid we'll have to wait E3 for that... :(

Jan 20, 2019
And my point is that Sony executives will be in for a rude awakening if they think $499 PS5 would sell as well as $399 PS4, no matter what tech it has inside.Not to mention "massive and fast transition" to the next gen that Jim Ryan was talking about.That's all :)

There is multiples ways to fast transition besides the price, you continue to be stuck in 399, they are not going for that price.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Why are we basing things on past designs and not future ones that consoles will be based on? Wasn't there a leak of 80CU GPU?

We have seen how bad AMD cards are in thermals with anything above 1600mhz, more cu at lower frequency and process shrink will produce less heat than trying to push high frequency.

I highly doubt that Sony is doing 1800-2000MHz, more likely 64cu with 4 disabled and doing 1600 while MS is currently doing 1475MHz.

From past designs like Pro and X models had lower clocks and more CU than equivalent offerings.

Going for top of the line GPUs didn't make sense as they had no access to CPU to match.

There was but IIRC sort of sounded like someone didn't already know that navi was built with DCUs and assumed 40dcu=80cu. By that "logic" 5700xt is 80cu.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Just read up on the PS4 Pro Slim rumors from June. What if the PS4 Pro Slim is just the PS5 Lite, aka a cheaper Lockhart-esque PS5 that's priced at $399 or thereabouts?

senjutsusage

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's not what the hovis method does. It's basically taking chips that aren't good enough, and putting more volts into them to make the cut. It's a way to get higher yields. That's why some sites tested oneX units with >55dB noise levels and reaching nearly 200w while the norm were ~47dB with ~175w.

That's not what the Hovis method is. It's about carefully tuning every part of the console and it's parts to deliver the perfect amount of power delivery for each chip which ends up maximizing efficiency and cutting down on heat and power consumption. Even perfect chips will have the method used on them.

Sunlight

Apr 22, 2019

Btw,i wish we learn the price at the PS Meeting in Feb. but i'm afraid we'll have to wait E3 for that... :(
Yes I expect they will cut price to $399 as fast as they can if RAM and SSD are cheaper.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States

They're not looking at sales right away. Remember PS4 will live alongside PS5 until 2022 or thereabouts. PS5 is just an extension of the PS ecosystem.

In the meantime we'll see more emphasis on cross-gen transitions with both PS5 and PS4 games. This is an interesting gen because last-gen is still being supported, so it's kind of a mix between an iterative cycle (BC) and a full gen reset (high-end hardware).

I think they'll really start banking on hardware sales until the PS4 is eclipsed.

AverageFisk

Oct 30, 2017
User Warned: Avatar shaming, accusations of alt accounts
Lots of "new" warriors with no profile pic since yearsoflurking and Anthony were banned. Very peculiar.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Imagine if PS5 did have HBM, it would kick the door wide open for HBM to be in more consumer devices. I don't mean Xbox Series X, but future consoles, including future Xbox consoles, and future PlayStation consoles. Mid range gaming cards, etc. Manufacturing volume of HBM goes way up, costs come down.
HBM would no longer be limited to HPC Nvidia Tesla accelerators and some Radeon Vega cards.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Did people forgot PS3 20gb model was 499$ on release, not 599$? It seems like people always throw that 599$ number.

And yes back in 2006 499$ had about the same buying power as 600-650$ today.

PS3 was indeed a bit expensive for that time. I don't think 599$ is good price point for console, 499$ is just perfect.

ArabianPrynce

Jun 1, 2019
giphy.gif

and i think i just lost all faith in this rumor. if the advantages were really this big, both in terms of price, performance and tdp savings, MS wouldve gone with hbm as well. the fact they didnt is proof that its not ready for consoles yet.
If you can, explain how high mem bandwith means in terms of game graphics and performance. its one the one part of game hardware i just cant fucking understand

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I had no idea the HBM2 rumor included a 256-bit bus for the DDR4. That's insane, 256-bit bus + HBM2 bus? At the same cost they could have had more than 382-bit bus for GDDR6. Combine that with the PS4 slim 7nm that never came out and we can put that rumor to rest.

I'm not saying that Sony does or doesn't have HBM2 in the PS5, just that his rumor is probably false.

They can go with HBM2E or HBM3 to reduce the number of stacks by two at the same speed maybe 12 to 18 months after launch. They can reduce the bus size of DDR4 to 128 bits later with DDR5.

After maybe this is not the configuration but I think Sony will use HBM2.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
giphy.gif

and i think i just lost all faith in this rumor. if the advantages were really this big, both in terms of price, performance and tdp savings, MS wouldve gone with hbm as well. the fact they didnt is proof that its not ready for consoles yet.

I'm imagining you having a similar reaction during PSM when they announce 14 TF and HBM2. 😂

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
Exactly, a healthy amount of skepticism is the right way to look at all these PR talks. You should wary remember the super charged (jaguar) PC architecture and the power of the cloud.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
It's been (negligibly) ahead of XSX since the Reiner tweets. KLee confirmed that. It hasn't changed since. We haven't had one credible rumor that puts XSX ahead of PS5, not from a journalist, not from an insider that would have an inkling about what both are doing.

The closest thing to that was Matt saying that, if he were hard-pressed to make an educated guess - i.e. he doesn't actually know it to be either way - he'd guess MS would have a slight advantage by launch.
This is what bothered me even with the earlier OTs that preceded any remotely credible leaks. People were trying to come up with arbitrary differences between the two consoles without any rhyme or reason. Those discussions served nothing but flame the console warz.
And now that we have some info, there's still a contingent trying to manufacture a gulf between the two despite everything pointing to a very close end result.

As i said,they just had the most successful and profitable console gen ever.They had a brilliant execution from start in 2013 to finish in 2020.Why should they change their winning strategy?That doesn't make any sense.
Because they can't rely on their competition to shit the bed again.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Let's not be judgmental with price here please. We have some people that can easily spend $500 a day and others where that is simply impossible. Also it's not safe to assume everyone has the same earnings potential, market or ability.

Oct 25, 2017
what price do you expect the ps5 to be?
$499 at launch.

The PS4 is one of the best and fastest selling consoles ever. Even if they fall short of that, the PS5 can still be a resounding success. It isn't 100M+ or bust. That being said, I think PS5 will sell just as well, of course.

I wouldn't worry about PS Meeting. It will be early. Believe.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
How is paying 500 every 7 years for something that you love expensive? I'm a poor student myself but even I can scratch that money together.
It isn't for me, but perhaps people with families, five hundred might be the whole Christmas budget. But of course they will come down over time plus there are cheaper alternatives like Switch. It does kind of concern me that consoles will be less prevelant in the future if the price themselves out of mainstream adoption.

Status
Not open for further replies.