• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
It's digital only too

If Xbox Series X is being sold at a loss at $500 it's going to cost ~$600 to make.

To sell the Series S at $300 and not at a huge loss it would literally have to cost half of what the Series X does to make.

You're cutting down your APU size maybe in half - that get's you $100 max (if I'm being generous) so we're at $500 to make.
1/3 less RAM so maybe another $50 off, now we're at $450 to make
Being generous $25 for the disc drive - $425 to make.
Being generous again another $25 less for lower power PSU and a few other nips and tucks we're at $400.

Unless MS are happy to also take a loss of $100 on the Series S I don't really see how it can be sold for $300. It's basically an Xbox One X with a better CPU, SSD and RAM but without the disc drive. Which currently retails at $500.

I think it will be $350 for the series S and it will come later not at launch. With both PS5 and Series X at $500

Manixramz

Apr 4, 2018
They need to avoid $599 at all costs. That's just too much for a console. $299/$499 is the ideal combination I think.
I do understand that but they have series s to encounter that.

Also if we go for that logic, 499 for 1 x is what should they avoided.

Also, 299 will not bring s to keep up with x or ps5.

Also the all-digital edition was 249. Big mistake and it failed .

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
The fact that we're going from underpowered consoles this gen, to almost toe-to-toe with high-end PC's (at least at launch), is incredible. We might just see another PS2 -> PS3 transition. Games already look amazing... 12+ tflops GPU's with support for HW accelerated RT, Zen 2 CPU's, amazingly fast SSD's, way faster RAM... They've addressed every bottleneck.

If the RAM amount turns out to be 24 GB on both consoles as well - It's the fucking dream. It's the E3 2015 of console launches.

How the hell can't you get excited for next-gen with these specs?

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Lockhart will launch 2021 for 299$ and both Series X and PS will cost 499$.

Last edited:

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Leaning towards 64 due to the apparent design limitation being removed. I assume the limitation has been removed because they've significantly improved their heat and power performance. Also, do keep in mind the Hovis Method Microsoft used on Xbox One X, which significantly made a difference in terms of power, heat and efficiency. Why wouldn't they revisit that one again? I honestly feel like Microsoft can push the very limits of their GPU and get away with it.
That's not what the hovis method does. It's basically taking chips that aren't good enough, and putting more volts into them to make the cut. It's a way to get higher yields. That's why some sites tested oneX units with >55dB noise levels and reaching nearly 200w while the norm were ~47dB with ~175w.

Last edited:

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
The fact that we're going from underpowered consoles this gen, to almost toe-to-toe with high-end PC's (at least at launch), is incredible. We might just see another PS2 -> PS3 transition. Games already look amazing... 12+ tflops GPU's with support for HW accelerated RT, Zen 2 CPU's, amazingly fast SSD's, way faster RAM... They've addressed every bottleneck.

If the RAM amount turns out to be 24 GB on both consoles as well - It's the fucking dream. It's the E3 2015 of console launches.

How the hell can't you get excited for next-gen with these specs?
Pretty sure it'll be 16GB from rumours.

Also; it's a console, there will be a bottleneck somewhere. Give it time!

I do absolutely agree though, things are very exciting.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
That's not what the hovis method does. It's basically taking chips that aren't good enough, and putting more volts into them to make the cut. It's a way to get higher yields. That's why some sites tested oneX units with >55dB noise levels and reaching nearly 200w while the norm were ~47dB with ~175w.

Just wait until you see what Sony is capable of, with their Jehovis Method! :)

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
If it's 12TF RDNA/RDNA2 it's unquestionably 2080 Super class. And we know consoles punch well above their weight. Even you yourself just stated 2080 class and now you're down to 2070?
It is not official. Sorry until we have official specs it is rumours.

And there is a long time consoles punch on pair with equivalent gpu on pc. A 7850 performs exactly as a ps4 even on current games. Same for a 580 and a one x.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I know you are all joking but this means 56 cu at 2.0 oberon clocks were way too ambitious and now they have to scale it down.

all cool with me. i will take gonzalo at 1.85 ghz and 13 tflops.

I kid, but, even though I might disagree with some of your ideas, I actually admire your tenacity and enthusiasm.

And yeah, 13TF @ 1.85GHz would be bomb as fuck. Using that wild 56CU setup I dreamed lmao.

|OT9| - How TF did I get banned again?

We have a winner.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

giphy.gif

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I've said this before I'll say it again..if Lockhart is indeed a thing (which I'm definitely not a fan) there needs to be a minimum $200 price difference between it and Series X or don't even bother.

Even if Series X ends up being something crazy like 13-14TF I still think it ain't gonna be a penny over $499.99 and MS will just eat whatever cost they have to. Lockhart will be at most $299.99.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
The realists have almost been as bad as the fanboys in these threads IMO. Even when they turn out to be wrong time and time again they still show no humility or change of tune. We have people still trying to push 8TF PS5, even though that almost certainly isn't going to happen.

It's frustrating to have to deal with constant, gleeful wishing for the consoles to be as weak as they possibly could be.

Why? I think it's amazing how they've been proven wrong time and time again! It's half of what makes this thread so much fun.

Remember the 12TF/10TF/8TF gif? We're looking at 12TF-13TF RDNA beasts now, which would be equivalent to between 15TF-18TF GNC! Now go back in time and post that, you would be banned for trolling, lol

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Why? I think it's amazing how they've been proven wrong time and time again! It's half of what makes this thread so much fun.

Remember the 12TF/10TF/8TF gif? We're looking at 12TF-13TF RDNA beasts now, which would be equivalent to between 15TF-18TF GNC! Now go back in time and post that, you would be banned for trolling, lol
Ha this is on point, those early speculation threads I was guessing 12-14 TF and being insulted and dismissed as completely clueless as to how 'console tech' works.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Wow new rumours outta thin air and surprise surprise now put it ahead of XSX lol.

It's been (negligibly) ahead of XSX since the Reiner tweets. KLee confirmed that. It hasn't changed since. We haven't had one credible rumor that puts XSX ahead of PS5, not from a journalist, not from an insider that would have an inkling about what both are doing.

The closest thing to that was Matt saying that, if he were hard-pressed to make an educated guess - i.e. he doesn't actually know it to be either way - he'd guess MS would have a slight advantage by launch.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Gaming Bolt on YouTube did a pretty decent analysis of it.

I mean it looks last gen compared to hellblade 2 but u can tell there are some pretty high quality effects in it still. They cut to rdr2 footage at times in the video and its a generational difference.
Yeah, I saw it, but I'd love to hear DF's take on it. 😊
Godfall is obviously not representative of what the PS5 will be truly capable of, but it's still a lot of fun to watch.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
A $599 system is going to fail no matter if you have a $200 option. No one should be selling a system at $599 especially MS, they already have trouble selling their systems at lower prices. they in no way shape or form, should be trying to sell anything near $599. Hell, no one barley bought the X, until it was on sale.
Sony got lucky that the ps3 even sold 80+ million with the ps3. None of them should attempt $599

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Lmao. We have a winner.

Btw Aegon I wanted to commend you for the way you defended Klee when he was been unfairly piled upon this past weeks.

His info may or may not end up being accurate, depending on many aspects outside of his control, but to doubt his integrity the way some people had been doing was totally uncalled for. So thanks again (and to the rest of they peeps that have done the same)

And to Klee and the rest of the thread, Happy Holidays!! Now let's eat and drink and celebrate a great year of games past, and a future even brighter with these machines noone even dreamed of just 2 years ago when we started talking about them. Cheers everyone!!!

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Gaming Bolt on YouTube did a pretty decent analysis of it.

I mean it looks last gen compared to hellblade 2 but u can tell there are some pretty high quality effects in it still. They cut to rdr2 footage at times in the video and its a generational difference.

That Hell Blade 2 trailer isnt anything that anyone will be actually playing tho. Its not gameplay, nor anything running on the series X. So to say that looks last gen to a cgi trailer isnt saying much.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been (negligibly) ahead of XSX since the Reiner tweets. KLee confirmed that. It hasn't changed since. We haven't had one credible rumor that puts XSX ahead of PS5, not from a journalist, not from an insider that would have an inkling about what both are doing.

The closest thing to that was Matt saying that, if he were hard-pressed to make an educated guess - i.e. he doesn't actually know it to be either way - he'd guess MS would have a slight advantage by launch.
I still remember the hysteria immediately after the first wired article. Xbox insiders came out of the woodwork to announce that the scarlet was more powerful. I'm pretty sure we even had a thread dedicated for it.

If that was still true, they would've let us know already in the articles. The narrative would've been most powerful, not 12 tflops.

Of course maybe they have learned from their mistakes and are now showing more humility instead of rubbing it in.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
I think Series S may be driven by Xcloud as the Xbox One X would be fine for visuals but you really need the fast loading from the SSD as well increased FPS to reduce that feeling of lag.

Aug 26, 2019
That Hell Blade 2 trailer isnt anything that anyone will be actually playing tho. Its not gameplay, nor anything running on the series X. So to say that looks last gen to a cgi trailer isnt saying much.
It's not gameplay, but it's running real-time. Anyway the purpose wasn't to showcase what next-gen games will look like in gameplay —

I was told the trailer represents the full power of Series X, and while the video doesn't showcase average gameplay moments, it still exhibits new levels of detail, lighting, and rendering techniques than we've yet to see on consoles before, at least running in real time.

I stand by what I said earlier that it's the absolute upper echelon of what next-gen games will be able to achieve.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
Klee says nothing changed, so the 12tf number was always his understanding when he said PS5 > XSX. Given that, there is slim to no chance that the PS5 comes in under the XSX.

So that makes it most likely:

$300 - Lockhart
$500 - PS5/XSX
however Klee refused to confirm a 13TF PS5 saying he always talked about dev kits performance and not hard numbers.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
I still remember the hysteria immediately after the first wired article. Xbox insiders came out of the woodwork to announce that the scarlet was more powerful. I'm pretty sure we even had a thread dedicated for it.

If that was still true, they would've let us know already in the articles. The narrative would've been most powerful, not 12 tflops.

Of course maybe they have learned from their mistakes and are now showing more humility instead of rubbing it in.
Come on the same thing Happen after TGA it's on both sides...Stop make it Like it happened with Only one Sides...

•79•

Banned
Sep 22, 2018
South West London, UK

I took that as Matt placating the noisy rabble after the Reiner fallout.

😁

Status
Not open for further replies.