• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
It's better strategy for them. Whatever people think, TF don't win you a generation. If Sony gets a weaker PS5 but at 400$ I'm pretty sure they will be still very successful. They are unlikely to have a win of the magnitude of that generation, but that was a given from the start.

400$ weaker PS5 doesn't mean they lost. Personally, I believe that targetting 400$ pricepoint is the best they can do.

So does it make sense for MS to have two boxes? I am going back and forth on the strategy. I remember there being some rumour that Sony were also planning two boxes as well. I think it could be a possibility, and would maybe explain rumous around them having more powerful hardware than X. On the other hand, there hasn't been much of anything on Sony except hints, but an assumption that they are going with one box since there hasn't been any comment to the contrary by insiders. But then there hasn't been much concrete at all.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
With regard to the latter - the drives would be assembled from parts sourced elsewhere, likely from multiple suppliers, and then assembled by Sony or MS. In this regard it's no different than what they're already doing with the consoles themselves. (Indeed they may be able to save money vs buying finished SSDs from other suppliers with the markup that would carry - although of course it depends how much 'extra' is involved and what you consider to be the SSD). Yes it's possible if their storage layer incorporates unusual components that come from a limited set of suppliers, that one of these components could become a bottleneck - but they're already far into the realm of assembling hundreds or more components to make one final console unit, some of which they're already the only customer for. So as with those other components, they 'just' have to make sure their supply chain is sufficient. (Supply chain/manufacturing logistics are hellishly complex, I'm sure - and we've seen problems crop up in the past with very new types of component, like what happened initially with blu-ray diodes for PS3 - but I think the point I'm making is that custom storage would just be another drop in an already big bucket)

I don't see a scenario for expandable ssd storage for these boxes, where a custom ssd is required, that would not cost more per gb than those already available on the market. From the customer's perspective at least. MS/Sony would also want larger margins because, well, they would be the single proprietor. It has always been the case when custom storage for consoles was required.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
TBF whispers from "insiders" aren't very meaningful either.

At this point with limited official info out. Microsoft talking about how their goal is to have the most powerful console holds more weight than whatever the "insiders" are claiming this week.

That's not to say it's a given that they will have the most powerful console, but in a convo based off speculation and piecing together bits of info I think their stated goals are important to consider.

I would say both sources of power differentials are uncertain. Insiders because it is possible to fake info, even if supposedly verified. Company intentions and statements without specifics are mostly PR fluff. It is the actual number comparisons you need. So I don't agree it holds more weight, although it will do to a degree in terms of where you lean.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
So does it make sense for MS to have two boxes? I am going back and forth on the strategy. I remember there being some rumour that Sony were also planning two boxes as well. I think it could be a possibility, and would maybe explain rumous around them having more powerful hardware than X. On the other hand, there hasn't been much of anything on Sony except hints, but an assumption that they are going with one box since there hasn't been any comment to the contrary by insiders. But then there hasn't been much concrete at all.
If Microsoft comes out with two consoles and the lower powered Lockhart sells like crazy, you will either see Sony coming out with a newer lower powered model, or they will aggressively cut the price on the existing console to remain competitive.

Sony is the big player in console gaming, so they can go with what is tried and tested. Microsoft though is playing catch up, and companies playing catch up generally tend to take more risks.

d3ckard

Dec 7, 2017
The 10 is coming from 5700XT type card speculation with 40 CU max and 1.8-2 GHz clocks. It just doesn't add up.

Why? It would be perfectly reasonable for them to go with smaller chip and tact it higher. If Cerny thinks that 8TF is what you need for 4K, this is what you would get targetting 2020 $399 4K console. Which can, but doesn't have to be, what Sony had in mind from the start. It's certainly less risky strategy than going for the same pricepoint as competition, since you move from direct comparison to much more contrived "value".

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Personally...I think that the Playstation 5 will be at around the 10TF number. My reasoning?
1. Price: I think that Sony is going to go for the $399 price point.
2. Mark Cerny's estimate of 8 teraflops was needed for 4K rendering. I think that estimate was probably correct but I think that once they wanted to add other features like raytracing and such that they needed more power to do 4K natively with the extra juice that raytracing needs. They understand that you have to do other things that make games better like loading and using SSD for memory caching that it would make sense.

So I think that Sony is trying to balance out price and performance in one box.

I think that Microsoft is balancing price and performance is two boxes. Lockhart being the bare minimum you need and they can upscale to 4K with ML for those who have 4K tvs but don't want to shell out more money and the graphical settings will be a little bit lower like with raytracing and such. So it would be like playing the same games but on medium instead of ultra (series X).

I think we will get into the situation of $299 (Lockhart) / $399 (Playstation 5) / $499 (Series X). We know what the narrative among the fanboys and warriors will be (unfortunately) but that is meh. I will add a wrinkle in the mix that I do think that Microsoft will release a $149 Series C roku/chromecast like device at launch as well.

EDIT: I will say that Sony may still come in at the $499 pricepoint and have other things that are better than Series X. It's either $399 at 10TF but lesser of everything...or $499 where each box has their own upsides and downsides.

This is what has been painfully obvious from just looking at and comparing marketing and direction both companies have been taking. I fee like the answers have been in front of us, but people want their system to be the "best". PS5 is going to be less powerful but will have whatever crazy SSD tech they have where they are the fastest and Microsoft will be the most powerful. Sony wins on price and has the best path for customers to move from PS4 to PS5 as they have been saying for a while now. I just don't see Sony saying hey PS4 is dead you need a PS5 now and it costs 499-599. Microsoft doesn't care about price because they don't care where their games are played. I see Series X as more of a disruption to Sony than a full on competitor.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
If Microsoft comes out with two consoles and the lower powered Lockhart sells like crazy, you will either see Sony coming out with a newer lower powered model, or they will aggressively cut the price on the existing console to remain competitive.

Sony is the big player in console gaming, so they can go with what is tried and tested. Microsoft though is playing catch up, and companies playing catch up generally tend to take more risks.

Eh, I am not sure if I quite buy that narrative. If you are smart you have to evolve to survive. Tried and tested is for yesterday's world. Well that is not to say what worked in the past can't work now, but it is the road to complacency to make assumptions.

Also, not sure what that 8TF Cerny said has to do with anything. It is not like they want to run last gen games at 4k...if anything, that could suggest they need quite a bit more than 8Tf to provide a leap at 4k.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The first mistake is thinking Sony is building their next gen console with 399 in mind just because they did the same this gen, it can very well launch at that price but that would just mean Sony wants to take big losses on hardware.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
I would say both sources of power differentials are uncertain. Insiders because it is possible to fake info, even if supposedly verified. Company intentions and statements without specifics are mostly PR fluff. It is the actual number comparisons you need. So I don't agree it holds more weight, although it will do to a degree in terms of where you lean.
At this point with no official numbers out, all we have to go on is PR.

I could see if the numbers were out and Microsoft was saying "we think we are stronger based off some special sauce"

Playstation lead with talking about speed in it's "revolutionary" SSD solution.
Microsoft leads with power power power.

My speculative mind tells me to believe them in what their goals and strengths will be.

Also we know that price is very important and Microsoft has planned a lower cost console, which will allow them to go a little crazy with the price/power of anaconda.

To me all this info is a lot more pertinent than "insider info" that literally changes with the wind.

d3ckard

Dec 7, 2017

As I wrote before(and not just me I see), two boxes are a perfect safeguard from being outpriced. MS having the most powerful box isn't ultimate win. 500$(or more) is a lot of money, that slows down adoption. On the other hand, MS cannot go into another generation as the "weaker" party, it would be terrible for their messaging and break what they have been doing since X1X.

Two boxes make sense and 400$ pricepoint for Sony makes sense as well. If that happens we will likely see a very equal playing ground and that will make this generation great. Maybe the greatest ever, since there will be a lot of pressure for exclusive games. We all win in the end.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
It's better strategy for them. Whatever people think, TF don't win you a generation. If Sony gets a weaker PS5 but at 400$ I'm pretty sure they will be still very successful. They are unlikely to have a win of the magnitude of that generation, but that was a given from the start.

400$ weaker PS5 doesn't mean they lost. Personally, I believe that targetting 400$ pricepoint is the best they can do.
I agree with this. I don't think the power gap will be anywhere near as large as it was between PS4 and Xbone regardless, and any PS5 exclusive would trounce any game developed with Lockhart as a target, anyways.

Reaching for the top is all well and good but this is still a price sensitive market.

Klaw

Nov 16, 2017
France
Well, some people seems to be a little out of reality to be honest.
Sony can have a better hardware. But I'm pretty sure they can't have a better hardware AND a better price. When I'm hearing some people dreaming about 13TF, better RAM, better SSD and a 100$ lesser price tag, it's absolutely not realistic this time. Not when MS clearly lose the previous gen on those 2 specific points (and exclusives, but they came after) and they specifically said they won't make the same mistake twice.
They can be first on power or on price, but both ? I don't believe it at all.

My two cent is that they will get the better price point (based on their previous success), but with a slightly inferior hardware. And in the end, it won't matter that much, because both will be monsters compared to PS4/One.

rbej

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Sony don't need more powerful console than MS, because have very big fanbase and respect of gamers. 9TF, 399$, many exclusive games and another easy win in sold.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Eh, I am not sure if I quite buy that narrative. If you are smart you have to evolve to survive. Tried and tested is for yesterday's world. Well that is not to say what worked in the past can't work now, but it is the road to complacency to make assumptions.
People who sign checks do not like huge risks, especially when a company is established. Companies that want to grow, and expand rather aggressively do that, and sometimes to their own detriment.

Going with two consoles at different power profiles is new at the start of a generation, and heads at Sony may not have an interest in it. It all depends on how people who run these companies, those tasked with making decisions see the world.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If MS can build ~12TF box, Sony most definitely can too. It's not about possibility, it's about the need. Companies get burned and avoid similar mistakes.

MS biggest mistake up to date was developing a weaker console on higher pricepoint. They had to fight very strongly the message that Xbox is weaker machine and I don't see them wanting to go through it again. They likely did everything to be competitive power-wise and it's illogical to expect they can be beaten on it(being more or less equal is not being beaten).

Sony however never was a performance lead except for that generation and maybe original PSX(not sure here). They also do not need it - when people say they like Sony, they usually mention their exclusives. However, the hardest Sony was burned happened when they pushed out too expensive hardware. That hit them hard(the fact that the hardware turned out to be weaker on average didn't help). So, it's entirely possible for Sony to push a weaker console and still have a win - they will just say they have the best games(which is a message they build across the generations) and people will quickly forget about the numbers, especially after they see games(which will be splendid, I have no doubt about that).

Corporations care about sales and profit, not performance numbers. And for what's it worth - I don't see Sony going with not unified memory. That hit them badly as well during PS3 era. I expect one pool, whatever tech it will be(I would bet GDDR6 though).

The whole point of "console power" is to make things easy for 3rd party devs, which helps immensely with support and bring gamers to your platform. You don't want any special configurations, since the only ones that will get deeply into them are first parties.
HBM+DDR4 should appear as unified RAM to the devs. or at least thats what the rumor said.

And i dont know if corporations dont care about sales and profit when Adam Boyes literally said this:

For Adam personally, his "favorite moment was getting to announce to the whole developer community that we had double the RAM to 8GB of GDDR5," because they did originally have 4GB of GDDR5 on the system.

Recounting the story of how they went from 4GB to 8GB, Adam was actually at Gearbox (Borderlands), with Randy Pitchford, President of Gearbox, telling him, "If you go with 4GB of GDDR5, you are done." Following that statement, Boyes says that the entire room of about 30 people added in that "you guys, you never listen, you've never been good at this stuff."

After hearing this, Adam says he had a mini-breakdown, and it wasn't until he reflected on this and asked himself the question, "Are we going to be the best console in every single category?" before things started moving, because "the answer used to be no."

So, Adam went back to the developers about the possibility of doing 8GB of RAM, getting responses like "that would be incredible." He then took all the feedback to Tokyo, got the thumbs up, and the rest is history.

I mean he literally says that they wanted to be best in every category. It's also bizarre that you think a corporation like Sony doesnt care about performance numbers when you literally have Phil doing exactly that. He has been going on and on about being the fastest and more powerful. He doesnt care about profit and sales? Both Cerny and Phil care about numbers.

And how does Sony push those clocks? How do they deal with excess heat? Use a magic cooling solution?
When you are part of an online forum discussion, its good forum etiquette to actually follow it. The guy i was replying to was in turn replying to my post describing exactly how they would be able to push those clocks.

HBM + DDR4 is also a kind of outside the box thinking that helps them get a few extra watts while saving costs.
The discussion started when i replied to this post.
HBM is 40% the power draw per unit bandwidth.

We have discussed Sony's cooling patent at length here. its not magic. its simply engineering. MS devised a genius solution to get a massive GPU in a console. Not sure why Sony cant come up with their own genius solution especially when we have seen the patents out there. its not just hopes and dreams.

And I am not going to get into Sony being weaker. at the time of release, sony has always had the most powerful console and handled. every single gen.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
TBF whispers from "insiders" aren't very meaningful either.

At this point with limited official info out. Microsoft talking about how their goal is to have the most powerful console holds more weight than whatever the "insiders" are claiming this week.

My approach with 'insider info' is to fairly case-by-case. Someone claiming or insinuating something on Twitter goes into one category for me, for example. A journalist with a good track record committing to something in an article citing third party developers would go in another, for me. For example, certainly when it comes to 'vague quantitative comparisons', I would easily take those more seriously from third parties reported on via decent outlets, than I would from Sony or MS.

The best info is quantitative details and spec from the horses' mouth, the platform holders - ideally we'd get enough of that to come to our conclusions about how things compare to each other. But in the absence of that, for competitive comparisons or other sorts of qualitative judgement, I'd easily defer to even anonymous third party reports from decent sources over the platform holders' messaging around that. Obviously with increasing confidence if there seems to be a consensus in those reports. Platform holders are good for hard specifications - but without naming names or limiting to one or other, they can have pretty terrible track records when it comes to fairly comparing those things to other things out there.

I don't see a scenario for expandable ssd storage for these boxes, where a custom ssd is required, that would not cost more per gb than those already available on the market. From the customer's perspective at least. MS/Sony would also want larger margins because, well, they would be the single proprietor. It has always been the case when custom storage for consoles was required.

Oh I fully expect there'd be a brand tax here. But in terms of manufacturing complexity - or perhaps even also cost - I'm just arguing the manufacturing implications around custom storage probably aren't going to be unduly burdensome for MS or Sony vs what they're already undertaking in just manufacturing a console.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
The first mistake is thinking Sony is building their next gen console with 399 in mind just because they did the same this gen, it can very well launch at that price but that would just mean Sony wants to take big losses on hardware.
We don't have enough information to say what Sony would be taking a loss on. Also, they very well would be looking at what power at what price point...that's literally how those things are built, with a price in mind...lol.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Good grief, they even posted 8K versions of the Hellblade 2 trailer wallpaper. It is crazy the detail that we are getting with next gen, exceeded my expectations honestly.

Deto

Banned
Feb 13, 2018
Why? It would be perfectly reasonable for them to go with smaller chip and tact it higher. If Cerny thinks that 8TF is what you need for 4K, this is what you would get targetting 2020 $399 4K console. Which can, but doesn't have to be, what Sony had in mind from the start. It's certainly less risky strategy than going for the same pricepoint as competition, since you move from direct comparison to much more contrived "value".

só... PS5 for PS4 games 1080p in "true 4k" ?

1.8TF 1080p PS4 x4 = ~ 8TF

AUHAUHAUHUHAAUHUHA

mullah88

Oct 28, 2017
Well, some people seems to be a little out of reality to be honest.
Sony can have a better hardware. But I'm pretty sure they can't have a better hardware AND a better price. When I'm hearing some people dreaming about 13TF, better RAM, better SSD and a 100$ lesser price tag, it's absolutely not realistic this time. Not when MS clearly lose the previous gen on those 2 specific points (and exclusives, but they came after) and they specifically said they won't make the same mistake twice.
They can be first on power or on price, but both ? I don't believe it at all.

My two cent is that they will get the better price point (based on their previous success), but with a slightly inferior hardware. And in the end, it won't matter that much, because both will be monsters compared to PS4/One.
You can't make a statement like this when ps4 and xbone already demonstrated that it could happen! Will MS clean up the mistakes they made last gen? Sure but then people are assuming that sony will rest on there laurels...big mistake. Anyways carry on

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Think the right term to use is Playstation has always aimed to be the most powerful.

There's no reason for it to get 10+ teraflops without aiming to do so. Failing means that Microsoft just managed to do it better.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Sony does come in at $399 again they they will absolutely wipe the floor with MS again. Doesn't matter if it is "only" an 8-10tf box. In some ways I'd actually prefer that approach, you know, to save $100.

that doesn't seem to be what the bulk of the rumors are though. Both consoles most likely in the 10-13tf range and that's close enough it won't matter all that much.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
We don't have enough information to say what Sony would be taking a loss on. Also, they very well would be looking at what power at what price point...that's literally how those things are built, with a price in mind...lol.
I'm no too sure how this goes against what I said? People that think Sony will go with a 399 console use this gen as an example and it couldn't be more of a bad one, 399 isn't some magical price point that made Sony win this generation but their console being stronger and cheaper at the same time did, and also Microsoft's strategy for Xbox one (kinetic, TV, always online).

So tell me, are the people saying Sony is making a 399 console think that Sony is expecting all of the above happening again?

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
My approach with 'insider info' is to fairly case-by-case. Someone claiming or insinuating something on Twitter goes into one category for me, for example. A journalist with a good track record committing to something in an article citing third party developers would go in another, for me. For example, certainly when it comes to 'vague quantitative comparisons', I would easily take those more seriously from third parties reported on via decent outlets, than I would from Sony, MS.

The best info is quantitative details and spec from the horses' mouth, the platform holders - ideally we'd get enough of that to come to our conclusions about how things compare to each other. But in the absence of that, for competitive comparisons or other sorts of qualitative judgement, I'd easily defer to even anonymous third party reports from decent sources over the platform holders' messaging around that. Obviously with increasing confidence if there seems to be a consensus in those reports. Platform holders are good for hard specifications - but without naming names or limiting to one or other, they can have pretty terrible track records when it comes to fairly comparing those things to other things out there.
Even respected journalists are wrong more often then not with these types of rumors. I mean take all the insider information we've gotten over the years and how much of it has been correct? A very small percentage.

Insiders who got things right and were respected at one point, have lost all credibility and been ostracized time and time again.

For the most part of you listen to what Microsoft and Sony are saying publicly, you can kinda deduce where their business will go. Don't even need insiders cause 9 times out of 10 that's all they are doing is making speculative guesses based of public info.

Deto

Banned
Feb 13, 2018
User Banned (1 day): Console warring
Xbox > PS2
X360 > PS3
X1X > PS4 Pro

PS2: 2000
xbox 2001

2001 > 2000

X360 < PS3

x1x: 2017
ps4 pro: 2016

2017 > 2016

PS4 = Xbox One = 2013

PS4 > xbox one.

LOL, "xbox super power":

1 year after , more power.

same year, xbox 720p ps4 1080p.... hahaahah

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never got that impression from him, but YMMV.

Yeah, I dont think Klee was stating these are 10TF machines, he only spoke of 10TF+ and after the whole drama about 8TF I think most people were delighted to hit double figures and we've just latched onto that 10TF number. It's been the recurring number in this thread for a while now.

d3ckard

Dec 7, 2017
HBM+DDR4 should appear as unified RAM to the devs. or at least thats what the rumor said.

And i dont know if corporations dont care about sales and profit when Adam Boyes literally said this:

I mean he literally says that they wanted to be best in every category. It's also bizarre that you think a corporation like Sony doesnt care about performance numbers when you literally have Phil doing exactly that. He has been going on and on about being the fastest and more powerful. He doesnt care about profit and sales? Both Cerny and Phil care about numbers.

When you are part of an online forum discussion, its good forum etiquette to actually follow it. The guy i was replying to was in turn replying to my post describing exactly how they would be able to push those clocks.

The discussion started when i replied to this post.

We have discussed Sony's cooling patent at length here. its not magic. its simply engineering. MS devised a genius solution to get a massive GPU in a console. Not sure why Sony cant come up with their own genius solution especially when we have seen the patents out there. its not just hopes and dreams.

And I am not going to get into Sony being weaker. at the time of release, sony has always had the most powerful console and handled. every single gen.

Phil has to hit on performance, because a) it burned him before and b) he doesn't have a supply of exclusives Sony has. I personally have different opinion on Sony's exclusive strenght, but the consensus is they rock. Therefore, Sony can have a weaker console and still win, MS can't. That's why MS is laser-focused on power and Sony doesn't have to be(but still might).

The RAM unveling thing is not relevant - of course it's awesome when you announce something everybody wants. It doesn't make you "feeling good" and important part of corporate strategy.

Now, back to cooling:

I read your post and found zero information how do they push those clocks. If they have the same chip, they have to dissipate the same amount of heat to get to same clocks. MS just presented us with the box so bulky that people laughed at it. They went all in for the thermals. I refuse the believe that Sony found some magical way of squeezing more juice. That would mean they have some revolutionary heat dissipation technology, which is unlikely. Also, that would mean a very high risk of failures, like happened with X360 and RRODs. Since RROD fiasco MS has way better track record on cooling and that makes me very skeptical around hitting frequencies on the same chip the other side cannot hit.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
"I told ya Microsoft wanted to surprise Sony. Microsoft is saying Xbox Series X will be the "fastest" and "most powerful""

I mean you use words that are very easy to be misconstrued. Was this using words carefully?

Are Microsoft saying they are or "hopes/belive" they will be the most powerful console and those words you quoted were they not missing the Xbox in the end which seems like a weird thing to left out if you are "careful" with your words.

Tom knows what he's doing.

+1

If someone believe in magic cooling solution in PS5, will be very disappointment. Please stop believe in every BS rumor from internet and more use own brain.....

PS5 = magic TF, magic RAM, magic SSD, magic cooling, magic case, magic everywhere....
Last bit of info I saw said XSX has "memory paging magic". Magic is all around you. Embrace it.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Lol, you don't think our little friends like gaming?

bV1v1.jpg

I'm down for liquid cooling.

Then those little vents could just be for LED light epicness!

Or maybe it has a special feature that jettisons any blockage out the vents periodicly like a projectile...

Also, you see the top of the SeX? Pure vents. Not much different than the PS5 devkit vents issue. Maybe worse. I don't really think it will be that big a problem though.

960x0.jpg

ps5-render.jpg

There are more NSFW pics in the internet and reddit with someone having a little snake who snuck into his PS4, someone else his PS4 filled with dust until it became like mud others filled with cockroaches.

Tbh, I am worried about the XBox Series X top vents too, that is why I expressed my concerns in the otehr thread about the vertical position that needs to be absolutely avoided in favor of the horizontal position to minimize risks of accumulating dust due to gravity.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Glad to see the console warriors are having fun. This thread was better when it was people who knew something speculating on potential CU counts.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Xbox > PS2
X360 > PS3
X1X > PS4 Pro

The Xbox was released in November of 2001 while the ps2 was released in March of 2000. That's a few months away from being a difference of two years.

The X360 vs the PS3 is a long story because the PS3 had all kinds of setbacks. It came out like a year later than the 360, was hard to develop for which resulted in multiplats running better on the 360. Which is why i played most of them on there. As for "power" just by looking at technical specs i think they were pretty even in power.

As for the X1X versus the PS4Pro... The X1X released a full year later than the PS4Pro did.

X1 vs the PS4, these both launched around the same time and we know the PS4 was like 40-50% more powerful.

So Yeah i think think your argument works.
However I don't think looking at past launches is going to tell us anything about how the next gen is going to play out. I personally think that they are going to be twins with only small differences. But i wouldn't be surprised if the XSX is going to be a bit more powerful than the PS5 either.

I don't care either way, it seems we are going to get a great next gen. I'll eventually end up getting both consoles Anyways.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I'm no too sure how this goes against what I said? People that think Sony will go with a 399 console use this gen as an example and it couldn't be more of a bad one, 399 isn't some magical price point that made Sony win this generation but their console being stronger and cheaper at the same time did, and also Microsoft's strategy for Xbox one (kinetic, TV, always online).

So tell me, are the people saying Sony is making a 399 console think that Sony is expecting all of the above happening again?
First...my point goes against what you said because you are assuming Sony is taking a loss on anything ("it can very well launch at that price but that would just mean Sony wants to take big losses on hardware")...we don't have enough information to make that claim...sure you can guess that. Also, I don't think it's a mistake thinking that Sony would build a product with a price in mind because Sony had success doing that two times this generation even with the competition being at a higher price point and all companies look at building products with price points in mind (not saying that they get there)...every single one. Sony will focus on their strengths as they should.

I don't speak for other people. I speak for myself. I don't think Sony is expecting the same situation as last time in regards to their competition. I do think that they will focus on what made them successful and try their best to replicate that while looking at future pivots in technology and game services.

Status
Not open for further replies.