• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 27315

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Antagonizing another member
It would still have "existed" as it's a simply a project, hence "Project Lockhart". And the project happened, the design will have happened, a prototype would have existed. Just like Dreamcast's Half-Life port.
Ok, so it will not exist as a final product for consumers then. If tomwarren is right of course

Sams88

Oct 9, 2019
Tom are you guys going to have an article on PS5 specs? It's the last piece of the puzzle and even Digital Foundry have stated that they remain a mystery
Maybe I'm wrong. But it appears all the juicy XB info is coming directly from MS sources. Even more so given the outlets reporting such things. Controlled leaks if you will. It's notable how little's been revealed about Lockhart - given it's likely to be by far the best selling SKU.

PS5 news is limited to the Wired articles and a couple of posters on an obscure forum. I'm assuming if anyone in the industry does have the full details. They're NDA'd upto the eyes or have been threatened with being blacklisted!

Deleted member 27315

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just report him. Too much dumb back and forth about a definition of word he could google.
NaturalFearlessIndianabat-small.gif

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I often see that Sony described PS5 as the "fastest" next-gen console. But where is it coming from ?
I thought it was this job listing (various sites are referring to this), but I see nothing about the power of the PS5 :

Was it modified after Series X announcement ? Or am I looking at the wrong source ?
the "fastest console in the world" thing was erased because fans found it.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I often see that Sony described PS5 as the "fastest" next-gen console. But where is it coming from ?
I thought it was this job listing (various sites are referring to this), but I see nothing about the power of the PS5 :

Was it modified after Series X announcement ? Or am I looking at the wrong source ?

It was edited ages ago - pretty much immediately after people noticed it and started bringing it into these types of discussions.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
am i the only one that thinks that $120 for 16GB of HBM2E sounds reasonable for a $499 console?

Mula

Banned
Jan 18, 2019
I think all games have to run on xcloud. Will MS reserve 12 TF for these games or will devs have to develop their games for less performance anyway?

predrag

Oct 27, 2017
The consensus was not though (apparently). There were devs that swore by Cell to give another example.
We never heard how many devs said that... 2, 5, 100? We don't know but narrative was set 'that devs don't like idea of Lockhart'. And PC gaming alone is proof that existence of less powerful configurations DO NOT affect development and games do look best on PCs.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Cost if 8 GB of HBM2E 2.8 GBps is only 60 dollars(717 GB/s of bandwitdh), this is crazy and after you can complete with DDR4. 24 GB of GDDR6 would cost much more than this.

I speak of HBM2E not HBM2... HBM2E is like HBM3 without the possibility to push at 3.6 GBps or 4 Gbps. And the cost reduction of the HBM2E part has much more potential of cost reduction than GDDR6. for DDR4 you can go DDR5 128 bits bus.

For GDDR6, the best choice from a performance/cost of view is probably go 256 bits at 18 Gbps with 16 GB of memory(576 GB/s).
What bandwidth for 16GB of HBM2E ?

Dec 8, 2018
Yet another misquote. Words matter, and you guys need to use them carefully :)

"I told ya Microsoft wanted to surprise Sony. Microsoft is saying Xbox Series X will be the "fastest" and "most powerful""

I mean you use words that are very easy to be misconstrued. Was this using words carefully?

Are Microsoft saying they are or "hopes/belive" they will be the most powerful console and those words you quoted were they not missing the Xbox in the end which seems like a weird thing to left out if you are "careful" with your words.

ArabianPrynce

Jun 1, 2019
I am back on team 10tflop considering klees radio silence and a lack of clarification on the 12 tflop claim from journos. Ppl keep saying 12tflop and no one bothers to state if it's gcn or rdna. I mean Xbx 1x is 6tflop gcn, series's being 9tflop rdna is equal 12gcn which fits the bill perfectly . If it was rdna I am sure Phil would sing it from the rooftops. Phil's confusing multipliers don't help either. Hope I am wrong.

Kristijan1001

Jun 1, 2019
So I would like to tie some messages together for the PS5. I'm already invested in the PS ecosystem so I'd rather not make this post PS5 vs XsX, please just bear with me! For this post I will assume 12TF for XsX is correct as we haven't seen evidence of the contrary and there have been several insiders claiming 12 TF combined with 2 x Xbox One X power (power not performance, it's an important distinction). It's gonna be long...

CPU/GPU

On the "other place", a new leaker posted some interesting info starting a few days ago, let's assume for a moment he is for real.

Pastebin TF numbers match exactly what is rumored by Tommy Fisher and I think the narrative fits what we are seeing currently.

RAM

HBM2 rumors

SSD

Patent dive into Sony SSD solution
www.resetera.com

PS5 - a patent dive into what might be the tech behind Sony's SSD customisations (technical!)

This will be one for people interested in some potentially more technical speculation. I posted in the next-gen speculation thread, but was encouraged to spin it off into its own thread. I did some patent diving to see if I could dig up any likely candidates for what Sony's SSD solution might...

GAMES

SOCOM or Killzone?

Conclusion

If we add everything together we should get something like this for the PS5:

Custom AMD Zen 2-based CPU (8 cores @ 3.4 GHz)
Custom AMD Navi-based GPU (52 CU @ 2.0Ghz - 13.3 TF - RDNA 2.0)
- APU on 7nm+/7nm EUV process, could explain the high clocks
8GB HBM2 + 16 GB DDR4 RAM solution? (4GB DDR4 reserved for OS, power efficiency of HBM2 could be reason for higher GPU clocks)
NVMe SSD with custom controller (focus on read speeds, free CPU by integrated decompression)

I think the RAM and SSD parts are actually much much more interesting than the final TF count. We actually know very little about both PS5 solutions, not a lot of leaks in that direction. Maybe Sony is planning something special and tries hard to keep it secret? Thanks for the read if you made it this far.
Rlly hope this is all true.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Here is some additional information from Xbox Series X architect Jason Ronald on the use of SSD pulled from some of the Gamespot interviews and such. Everyone likes to focus on the SSD speed itself, but things such as "giving developers a lot of new capabilities on top of that to try to virtually eliminate load times" speaks to the overall I/O picture beyond just a single component hardware spec.

There's been plenty of talk about SSDs and the potential impact they can have on game design by minimizing load times, and Microsoft definitely buys into that notion as well. Speaking in an interview with GameSpot, Xbox partner director of program management Jason Ronald said that with the Xbox Series X's SSD, Microsoft is aiming to help developers "virtually eliminate load times."​

"It's really about giving the developers the tools and the capabilities to use the hardware in the most efficient way possible," said Ronald. "A good example of that is on the [solid-state drive] side–we've basically reached the limit of [what's] possible with the traditional rotational drive. We're basically at the upper bounds of the raw performance we can get there. So we've invested in NVMe SSDs and we're also giving developers a lot of new capabilities on top of that to try to virtually eliminate load times."​

According to Ronald, whether its linear experienced or large, open world games, load times are a factor that can hurt immersion, and that's something the Xbox Series X's SSD will work toward eliminating.​

"You know, whether that's a level-based game and I'm going from level one to level two, or if you think about a massive open-world game and actually want to fast-travel or teleport from one end of the world to the other, I shouldn't have to [have] this loading experience [that takes] me out of the immersion, and that's all possible with some of the investments we've made on the I/O side," he said.​

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HBM is 40% the power draw per unit bandwidth.

giphy.gif

DDR4 should be even less than that.

Just report him. Too much dumb back and forth about a definition of word he could google.
Have we learned nothing from yesterday? We need to loosen up and stop with reporting everything we dont like. There is nothing wrong with putting users on ignore and developing a thicker skin and just learning to live with posts you dont like. i really dont understand this concept of snitching in a community thread like this.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So wait: PS5 will have the better SSD, HBM memory and a better GPU? Then it will likely cost more than XSX. And Microsoft will then probably launch two consoles which are cheaper than a PS5. I don't see that being a reality.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
"I told ya Microsoft wanted to surprise Sony. Microsoft is saying Xbox Series X will be the "fastest" and "most powerful""

I mean you use words that are very easy to be misconstrued. Was this using words carefully?

Are Microsoft saying they are or "hopes/belive" they will be the most powerful console and those words you quoted were they not missing the Xbox in the end which seems like a weird thing to left out if you are "careful" with your words.

Yeah, what Microsoft hopes or believes, or Sony for that matter, shouldnt really be relevant to this kind of discussion.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
I am back on team 10tflop considering klees radio silence and a lack of clarification on the 12 tflop claim from journos. Ppl keep saying 12tflop and no one bothers to state if it's gcn or rdna. I mean Xbx 1x is 6tflop gcn, series's being 9tflop rdna is equal 12gcn which fits the bill perfectly . If it was rdna I am sure Phil would sing it from the rooftops. Phil's confusing multipliers don't help either. Hope I am wrong.
Digital Foundry said 12 rdna.

who even ever said 10? Seems to be repeated but i never caught the original source

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
So wait: PS5 will have the better SSD, HBM memory and a better GPU? Then it will likely cost more than XSX. And Microsoft will then probably launch two consoles which are cheaper than a PS5. I don't see that being a reality.
$599 by the sounds of it. I hope that's not the case...but I think the predictions are making shit into non reality territory. Let's not forget the thing has to be cooled and you would want it silent as well.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, what Microsoft hopes or believes, or Sony for that matter, shouldnt really be relevant to this kind of discussion.
Why not? The only official information we have so far are stated goals and strategies for either one. As far as I'm concerned what Microsoft or Sony are willing to publicly "believe" at this point is more telling than any "insider" info.

Status
Not open for further replies.