• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not attacking the guy. Not once have I attacked him. Are you referring to me or in general? At least recently I see a bunch of people reasonably skeptical of the "spec sheet" and most people just responding about people being harassed and attacked. That may have been a thing in the past, to be honest I rarely frequent this thread, so I cant speak to that. At least the past few pages its been mostly harmless skepticism of the information being speculated about, not Klees veracity.

Very interesting. Did not know that. Thanks for the info. Wonder if this thing will be real lol

Anddd reported.
For certain it is currently real, we just don't have many details on what shape it will take. Something to watch, no doubt.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not attacking the guy. Not once have I attacked him. Are you referring to me or in general? At least recently I see a bunch of people reasonably skeptical of the "spec sheet" and most people just responding about people being harassed and attacked. That may have been a thing in the past, to be honest I rarely frequent this thread, so I cant speak to that. At least the past few pages its been mostly harmless skepticism of the information being speculated about, not Klees veracity.

Anddd reported.
That's the big point. We get snarky posts about Klee almost every day. Being skeptical? Sure, but you dont have to bring it up on every chance you get, which some people do.

Seriously, this might as well be the Next Gen and Klee Speculation Thread on the way it has been going.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019

Very interesting. Did not know that. Thanks for the info. Wonder if this thing will be real lol

Anddd ignored.
And stop dragging Klee. Start a new topic. Reported you for a constant derail Attacking Klee.

NoUse4AName

Banned
Feb 5, 2019

And what do you want the mods to do? ....what do you expect they tell you "we verify the guy but we couldn't verify his info"

what else do you need?

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
This thread is generating a large number of reports and so we are temp locking it to go through them. Thanks for your patience.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
We're reopening the thread. Stop with the console warring and the personal attacks against others. This is a speculation thread, not a battleground. No one is obligated to share their "insider info" with you.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Was getting jittery without being able to refresh this thread every 2 minutes. :)

So yeah, what else can we talk about... y'all think the PS5 will have the port for the PS4 camera since the PSVR is supported? If so, is that port adequate to double for a PS5 camera?

Firefoxprime

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
PS5#2019....signing in 😞.

*white flag*

Man....as a millenial (29), it has been a tremendous honor to have grown up with gaming. I mean....yes, 33% of my life is obselete. But, I'm very excited to see this future.

I'm just eagerly waiting for the next level of VR/AR immersion. I haven't touched any VR games yet, and a simple 360 video on youtube STILL blows me away!

side note: I feel bad for the people who didn't watch VGHS on youtube 6 years ago. Gaming is already beginning to reach that reality.

When they finally watch the series, it won't be that special.

Last edited:

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Good thing they locked the thread so I could catch up...

Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread |OT9| - Series Finale

Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread |OT9| - Klee's Warrented

Oct 25, 2017
Was getting jittery without being able to refresh this thread every 2 minutes. :)

So yeah, what else can we talk about... y'all think the PS5 will have the port for the PS4 camera since the PSVR is supported? If so, is that port adequate to double for a PS5 camera?
It will surely need a camera. I suppose PSVR BC could require a new PS5 Camera - which could allow for improved tracking as well as 4k capture for streamers.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love it if they'd use inside out tracking like Oculus and WMR sets are using now for PSVR 2.
I expect PSVR2 to have a different tracking system. But a camera has many applications on a console - so I'd also expect an upgraded peripheral.
But that may favour a 4K+ capture over the 3D/ 120fps capture modes of the current peripheral - which would make it not-compatible with PSVR - and require the dedicated port.

Unless they simply sell a USB converter.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cross posting this from the DF thread on the xbox hardware.
Assuming it's an accurate image, the 7nm chip we saw back at E3 is roughly the same physical size as the 16nm chip seen in the X - likely a touch larger. Transistor density is unlikely to have doubled, meaning that the primary route forward for increased performance is frequency - and lots of it.

i have a pretty big issue with this quote in the article. why is it unlikely?

the 36 cu polaris was 5.7 billion transistors at 14nm and 232mm2. the 5700xt is 10.4 billion transistors at 251 mm2. it looks like it doubled to me.

The scorpio apu was said to be 7 billion transistors at 16nm. that includes the jaguar cores. we know the zen 2 is 2 billion, but almost half of that is taken up by the cache which the console makers would cut down as shown by the flute leak. lets assume MS only cuts down the cache by half. we have a 1.5 billion transistor cpu.

we dont know the CU count of the scarlett, but even if we go by oberon 2.0 ghz clocks, we are looking at a 48 CU GPU with 4-6 disabled CUs. so 54 minimum. how is that not over or around 14 billion transistors? or 2x scorpio?

i saw phil complain about moore's law slowing down as well. and yet in just two years since scorpio's launch, he was able to release a 12 tflops gpu based on a completely different architecture while doubling the transistors which i believe is what moore's law is all about.

whats even more crazy is that DF themselves point out how the chip is as big as the scorpio which was 358 mm2. the 40 cu 5700xt is 251mm2. the zen 2 is 70mm2 and should be around 50 with half cache. that leaves 60mm2 for memory controllers and a whole shit load of CUs. yes, the clocks will be higher but you always get clockspeed increases when you go down nodes. thats on top of transistor density.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I expect PSVR2 to have a different tracking system. But a camera has many applications on a console - so I'd also expect an upgraded peripheral.
But that may favour a 4K+ capture over the 3D/ 120fps capture modes of the current peripheral - which would make it not-compatible with PSVR - and require the dedicated port.

Unless they simply sell a USB converter.
They could always allow a generic webcam if they decide to go with a different tracking method for PSVR, I'd love good roomscale VR but a single camera really doesn't work well for that.

Oct 25, 2017
I would be shocked if Insomniac doesn't render a good portion of New York City next game due to the power. I want more detailed buildings and streets, I want hundreds of NPCs walking back and forth, more cars, etc. Make NYC come ALIVE.
It is the same thing GG will be prioritizing because they even have a dedicated team for it now.

This is something I expect from a lot of games next gen and may be the "defining" aspect of next gen. These games finally feeling like actual places because of how it all comes together to convey their worlds.

Firefoxprime

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
When I finally buy PSVR2, I hope I can buy all the old PS4 VR games super cheap!

I can't even keep up with how many games they've released. Anyone know the actual library size? It has to be over 50 after 3 years.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
It is the same thing GG will be prioritizing because they even have a dedicated team for it now.

This is something I expect from a lot of games next gen and may be the "defining" aspect of next gen. These games finally feeling like actual places because of how it all comes together to convey their worlds.
Makes you wonder why folks are expecting open world sequels to current gen games to drop ~3 years after their prior iteration.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
This thread is generating a large number of reports and so we are temp locking it to go through them. Thanks for your patience.
We're reopening the thread. Stop with the console warring and the personal attacks against others. This is a speculation thread, not a battleground. No one is obligated to share their "insider info" with you.

Maybe you should consider the suggestion made by 'both sides' and split the thread.

For evidence this might work, review the equivalent single platform threads from the Old Place and you'll see they while they lack the post velocity, they were considerably less work for mods

When I finally buy PSVR2, I hope I can buy all the old PS4 VR games super cheap!

I can't even keep up with how many games they've released. Anyone know the actual library size? It has to be over 50 after 3 years.

I've been saying HZD2 will be launch window since Gaf

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Microsoft has talked about handing off RTL code to AMD for integration. I wonder if they partnered with AMD to integrate their flavor of VRS, and that's why we are seeing it now, and AMD was coy about when they'd implement it. AMD benefiting from it on the PC doesn't necessarily hurt MS's new business model.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Makes you wonder why folks are expecting open world sequels to current gen games to drop ~3 years after their prior iteration.

The thinking is they going to reused a lot of asset along with having a lot of the game play aspect down .
Also the SSD should save them time when it comes to doing certain things .

Last edited:

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
The thinking is they going to reused a lot of asset along with having a lot of the game play aspect down .
Also the SSD should save them time when it comes to doing certain things .
I expect any gains made from ease of development to be offset by a tremendously larger scope for your typical AAA game. If we want and expect deeper and denser game worlds that truly feel alive, well...

IPpY.gif

s y

Nov 8, 2017
I expect any gains made from ease of development to be offset by a tremendously larger scope for your typical AAA game. If we want and expect deeper and denser game worlds that truly feel alive, well...

IPpY.gif
unless you have a god tier AAA pipeline and thousands of devs like Ubisoft.

senjutsusage

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If it's actually 12tf then the GPU is more than twice as powerful due to RDNA. The CPU is way more powerful than the X1X too. And then there are the other differences like VRS, raytracing, RAM speed and architecture, the SSD and increased bandwidth. Don't forget the X1X is only 2 years old at this point. I think you'll be very pleased with the upgrade if the specs are true.

Exactly. The specs are incredible.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Maybe you should consider the suggestion made by 'both sides' and split the thread.

For evidence this might work, review the equivalent single platform threads from the Old Place and you'll see they while they lack the post velocity, they were considerably less work for mods

I'll respectfully disagree. There are already echochambers on here, I don't think we need to add more.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Several things that would hype me for the Xbox Series X full reveal beyond any raw power spec stuff:
  • Physics hardware assist for Havok engine
  • AI co-processor of some type, "edge device" that can also utilize cloud data when connected to internet
  • System level enhancements for backward compatibility games, maybe even something a little crazy such as a frame-rate upscaling approach

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I've been saying HZD2 will be launch window since Gaf
Honestly, splitting the thread is the *best* way to de-escalate this situation for good. Sure, they'd be like a 99% of overlap in the discussions, but clearly it's becoming an issue if it's turning to this every time it boils over.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia

IPpY.gif

AI will start to take a lot of this load:

OT - guys, we're about to get 10TF+, SSD storage, 16gb+ memory boxes.

I started out gaming on a 3.5K Commodore VIC-20.

For me - and I will be going with the PS5 since that's where my back catalogue and Sony have provided me with 23 years of reliable entertainment - either box has the potential to deliver truly singular* gaming experiences, the kind that reaffirm why we play games.

We need peace, man *kojimapassingdoobie.jpeg*

* as in distinguished by superiority

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Several things that would hype me for the Xbox Series X full reveal beyond any raw power spec stuff:
  • AI co-processor of some type, "edge device" that can also utilize cloud data when connected to internet
  • System level enhancements for backward compatibility games, maybe even something a little crazy such as a frame-rate upscaling approach
I think we know you are hyped ass hell already for XsX. No need to extrapolate 😉

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Those things aren't farfetched at all. We should get all that in XSX. The BC team has been working hard and preparing for Next gen , I bet they'll make some announcements at the reveal.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Cross posting this from the DF thread on the xbox hardware.

i have a pretty big issue with this quote in the article. why is it unlikely?

the 36 cu polaris was 5.7 billion transistors at 14nm and 232mm2. the 5700xt is 10.4 billion transistors at 251 mm2. it looks like it doubled to me.

The scorpio apu was said to be 7 billion transistors at 16nm. that includes the jaguar cores. we know the zen 2 is 2 billion, but almost half of that is taken up by the cache which the console makers would cut down as shown by the flute leak. lets assume MS only cuts down the cache by half. we have a 1.5 billion transistor cpu.

we dont know the CU count of the scarlett, but even if we go by oberon 2.0 ghz clocks, we are looking at a 48 CU GPU with 4-6 disabled CUs. so 54 minimum. how is that not over or around 14 billion transistors? or 2x scorpio?

i saw phil complain about moore's law slowing down as well. and yet in just two years since scorpio's launch, he was able to release a 12 tflops gpu based on a completely different architecture while doubling the transistors which i believe is what moore's law is all about.

whats even more crazy is that DF themselves point out how the chip is as big as the scorpio which was 358 mm2. the 40 cu 5700xt is 251mm2. the zen 2 is 70mm2 and should be around 50 with half cache. that leaves 60mm2 for memory controllers and a whole shit load of CUs. yes, the clocks will be higher but you always get clockspeed increases when you go down nodes. thats on top of transistor density.

I was thinking the same. It didn't make sense knowing what we know.

Status
Not open for further replies.