• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I raise you a pastebin from 11/17/2019, weeks before WindowsCentral leaks, Xsx reveal...

Problem with your pastebin is it doesn't jive well with the 7-15 % differential that Matt and Klee have been referring to. A 10.24 vs 12+ is more in the 18 % territory.

On the other hand, a 12.1 vs 12.9 would be, you guessed it, about a 7 % difference. Oh, and both Klee (directly) and Jason (indirectly) have essentially said the 10.24 number is BS (both consoles will be above Stadia numbers). I'd personally want the difference to be as negligible as possible; I'm rooting for a 7 % difference -whichever way it goes! 😊

Either way, these consoles, man... They'll be incredible!!

chowyunfatt

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So according to some posters here Microsoft has already got next gen on lockdown and has a no loose strategy with gamepass and two sku's even before any competitors have shown what they have to offer?

4th times a charm maybe?

Jun 23, 2019
I would like to know why Prospero has been reported as PS5 dev kit but no mention from Komachi.

A better question is why when these random pastebins come out, they still refer to PS5 as Oberon when Prospero has been confirmed by Schreier for months now? My super hot take? Someone leaked something out earlier this year about PS5 and Sony locked down all communications out and have only dripfed the info they want to come out. We have no actual clue what's in the PS5 outside of what Klee may possibly know (and he isn't talking).

It's just too quiet this time around and as much as Cerny has told us about PS5, we still practically know nothing, yet we know almost everything about Series X, moreso with TGA reveal.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised we don't have rumors or leaks about the consumer design for Lockhart. I expect it to be incredibly small, especially compared to the Series X.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
This is logic you give a tool to devs they will use it at the max. For example, Sony Santa Monica told they were limited on PS4 for the fight between Kratos and The Stranger(Baldur). Normally a hit would have send Kratos kilometers from the fight. The setpiece will be very spectacular next generation.
I am sorry, that doesn't make any sense. How are you going to use an SSD for "something else""???

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
More Pastebin fun :)

1. Latest info on ps5/xsx:

2. - Performance is around the same for both, with a small advantage for PS5 (which won't make much of a difference in the end, imo)
  3. - ps5 ~13TF / xsx ~12TF
  4. - Both use GDDR6, no, there's no HBM2 going on.
  5. - Cpu clock is 3.2Ghz for PS5 and 3.4Ghz for XSX, both have a very low power standby mode
  6. - Current PS5 devkits have the GPU running a little over 2Ghz, XSX @ 1.6 or 1.7Ghz
  7. - PS5 is supposed to have 24GB for retail, XSX at the moment is 16GB, not sure if that's set though
  8. - PS5 SSD 4.5GB/s, XSX 2GB/s, both 1TB
  9. - Both use TSMC's EUV/7nm+.

10. More people will be reporting this in the next few weeks. Info has been out for a while now.
LOl what could possibly go wrong...

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
I've not seen anyone mention this from Tom Warren yet

"Microsoft has been working on SSD tech that allows devs to load larger data structures than the available GPU memory. The address space jump will be very significant, and it will help in terrain mapping and open worlds. VRS then steps in to render the parts that actually matter "

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know about the others, but...

Digital Foundry was surprised. They were on the 12TF GCN train until today.
Are we seriously going into the teraflops GCN vs RDNA discussion again. Well ok, but in a different way.

Because I wouldnt be surprised if DF was playing it safe (as always, being doubtful when you're reporting doesnt hurt) but the rumors have been 12 teraflops Navi.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017

"Microsoft has been working on SSD tech that allows devs to load larger data structures than the available GPU memory. The address space jump will be very significant, and it will help in terrain mapping and open worlds. VRS then steps in to render the parts that actually matter "

I'm thinking Flight Simulator.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

we did, a few pages back. Good stuff. Exclusive games on it and PS5 will be wild.

senjutsusage

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It'll take all wheels churning and the entirety of the MS company giving blank-check to Xbox for the Xbox team to be within striking distance of Sony next generation, provided Sony doesn't repeat the PS3 fiasco.

For people who are invested in the Xbox ecosystem, they're in for a ride tho.

I've always believed people overestimated Playstation's market leadership position, and I still believe this. So many things went wrong in the lead up to Xbox One that it was at times comical in nature. Xbox 360, even with ps3's missteps, proved that with the right strategy and combination of games to offer people out the gate, xbox can compete and compete very evenly or even beat playstation. Sony and their first party is excellent. They are far from beyond Xbox's reach for legit competition. Xbox did it with the xbox 360 on multiple fronts, jrpg offerings and the like. It was a while before PS3 really started hitting its stride and xbox 360 started to wind down.

For people saying Microsoft is already doing gamepass and xbox one s + xbox one x and sony is still winning, that is not the same thing as entering an entirely new gen with the proper focus, launching with a big gun like Halo, the offering that is gamepass with all those games plus your entire xbox one collection along with BC games available day one. Toss in xcloud and it becomes more interesting. A console that even if it should not have the performance crown, will not be as disadvantaged as xbox one was in likely price or performance. And possibly with a cheaper model available to undercut the competition day one, it can gain momentum even without the higher end model outselling ps5. These things are not as impossible as some think. Microsoft fell into a weakened or down position, but they were never completely out of true contention with playstation. Maybe they were if all you were counting was console sales. We know microsoft needed to do better on first party, but clearly we've seen they've taken serious steps to correct that, and I have faith they will strike true in those efforts.

Lastly, people always underestimate the importance of price to the larger market. They don't all think like us who want the most powerful thing we can buy.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
What's the reason(s) for not believing Gies? Does he have a history of being wrong on stuff like this? I only know him from the Rebel FM podcast

He's said on rebelfm he doesn't know much about the next gen consoles as he's was out of games for a while focusing on finishing his masters of fine arts. However he did recently work directly with Microsoft and the coalition writing a gears book.
It should be noted he sometimes gives warnings when talking about Sony as he has received a lot of threats in the past when the hornets nest doesn't approve. Many on this forum among others have him made out to be a Microsoft fanboy/shill even though he's not. He was a consultant on Spider-Man after all.

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
Forgive my ignorance re: leaks, but I've gotta ask; if this Klee bloke knows exact numbers, why does he not share them?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Random question, IF, by some miracle the PS5 could be passively cooled and not require a single fan, but the tradeoff was that it had an external power brick, would you accept it?

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
Honestly, I now believe more than ever Microsoft went with a 64CU GPU or close to it. Microsoft wanted to make absolutely certain they had the strongest box possible. The reason they refuse to confirm 12TFLOPS is because they probably intend to go beyond that. Many more CUs allows them to clock lower and have a high number of teraflops. But we know this new AMD architecture can easily clock quite high, up there to about 1.8-1.9 comfortably. How many teraflops is XSX if Microsoft boosts their clock speed to 1.8GHZ with a 64 CU GPU?
Each additional 100MHz is about additional 1TF

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GPU/CPU specs guess work is beyond pointless. What they can do with these and SSDs is what we should be discussing not which console is better. Leave that for the DF videos released in a years time.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Random question, IF, by some miracle the PS5 could be passively cooled and not require a single fan, but the tradeoff was that it had an external power brick, would you accept it?

Could you imagine how large that would have to be? The surface area required to efficiently cool it would be insane.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
He's said on rebelfm he doesn't know much about the next gen consoles as he's was out of games for a while focusing on finishing his masters of fine arts. However he did recently work directly with Microsoft and the coalition writing a gears book.
It should be noted he sometimes gives warnings when talking about Sony as he has received a lot of threats in the past when the hornets nest doesn't approve. Many on this forum among others have him made out to be a Microsoft fanboy/shill even though he's not. He was a consultant on Spider-Man after all.

This was true at one time tho. lol.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
It's funny... People are conveniently forgetting about Klee saying both consoles will have double digits tflops and be Navi based - this was when the first Navi GPU's were announced. He said the console GPU's would be more powerful. Give the man the credit he deserves! No one else was saying it! I honestly believe a lot of people will be eating crow for the not so subtle digs at him.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It should also be noted he sometimes gives warnings when talking about Sony as he has received a lot of threats in the past when the hornets nest doesn't approve. Manu on this forum among others have him made out to be a Microsoft fanboy/shill even though he's not. He was a consultant on Spider-Man after all.
Twitter is full of MisterXMedia types that I'm not surprised. I think it's worse on MS side because of the MisterXMedia forum and following.

Seriously, it's not a dig at any Xbox fans here or anywhere, but while trying to find info on next gen these types are like locusts on twitter.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
I'd prefer an external brick for both, no matter what. But passive cooling on this scale, you're looking at a bigger and heavier console. Logistics costs would be passed on to us.

Jan 20, 2019
I've always believed people overestimated Playstation's market leadership position, and I still believe this. So many things went wrong in the lead up to Xbox One that it was at times comical in nature. Xbox 360, even with ps3's missteps, proved that with the right strategy and combination of games to offer people out the gate, xbox can compete and compete very evenly or even beat playstation. Sony and their first party is excellent. They are far from beyond Xbox's reach for legit competition. Xbox did it with the xbox 360 on multiple fronts, jrpg offerings and the like. It was a while before PS3 really started hitting its stride and xbox 360 started to wind down.

For people saying Microsoft is already doing gamepass and xbox one s + xbox one x and sony is still winning, that is not the same thing as entering an entirely new gen with the proper focus, launching with a big gun like Halo, the offering that is gamepass with all those games plus your entire xbox one collection along with BC games available day one. Toss in xcloud and it becomes more interesting. A console that even if it should not have the performance crown, will not be as disadvantaged as xbox one was in likely price or performance. And possibly with a cheaper model available to undercut the competition day one, it can gain momentum even without the higher end model outselling ps5. These things are not as impossible as some think. Microsoft fell into a weakened or down position, but they were never completely out of true contention with playstation. Maybe they were if all you were counting was console sales. We know microsoft needed to do better on first party, but clearly we've seen they've taken serious steps to correct that, and I have faith they will strike true in those efforts.

Lastly, people always underestimate the importance of price to the larger market. They don't all think like us who want the most powerful thing we can buy.

That whould be tru if you talk about the USA, in EU, is not even close.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States

This is super fascinating. I'm wondering if the SSD itself is customized on a hardware level, of it they're using "something else" like ReRAM/Optane 3DXpoint-like solution.

Would eSRAM help at all here?

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone at 4chan had this rumor that a white Xbox is coming. People are calling it fake (and probably is) but I really like how the box looks like and think the white Series X looks awesome.

1576781301780.jpg

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Someone at 4chan had this rumor that a white Xbox is coming. People are calling it fake (and probably is) but I really like how the box looks like and think the white Series X looks awesome.

1576781301780.jpg

I'm pretty that ripped straight from one of the hundreds of mocks that are being posted on Twitter.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
It's funny... People are conveniently forgetting about Klee saying both consoles will have double digits tflops and be Navi based - this was when the first Navi GPU's were announced. He said the console GPU's would be more powerful. Give the man the credit he deserves! No one else was saying it! I honestly believe a lot of people will be eating crow for the not so subtle digs at him.

who is no one else? back when Stadia was revealed Jason already said both were aiming to be over 10TF

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
User Banned (1 Week): Ignoring staff post, console warrior.
Séries X Beast gonna win power battle. No debate.

MS x AMD = Silicon partnership

Status
Not open for further replies.