• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Anyone else been scouring the internet searching for old pre rendered CGI trailers that roughly look like the exact same fidelity as the Hellblade 2 trailer?

AC Brotherhood comes to mind:

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Folks are probably hoping Klee will cave and outright say which console is stronger...which he has several times.

Quite. He has tried, over and over again, to focus people on what actually matters: the next generation is going to be amazing, and will exceed most people's expectations coming into this year. That's the big news and reason for everyone to come together as gamers to celebrate ... but no. People want to focus on the divisive crap instead, which wasn't what he led with at any time. He let people browbeat it out of him initially and doesn't seem inclined to feed the console warrior hordes one more time. Who can blame him?

It's like winning the lottery only to immediately demand a list of other lottery winners you're now richer than rather than celebrating your good fortune and contemplating how to share it. It's petty and pointless, and a sign of our very divided times.

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
What's the possibility that XBSX uses multiple chip package layout for CPU and GPU while XBSS uses single chip package for for CPU and GPU?

That case design and talk around it makes me think MS not only wants to emphasize power in the XBSX, but cool it better than the usual set top box design allows.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man it really feels that a console only needs a GPU sometimes. I still think that both CPU and storage will be the biggest change for the new consoles and I'm looking very forward to it.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do people not get that when the likes of Sony or Microsoft commit to enough chips for 10's of millions of consoles they can get extremely good pricing.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Anyone else been scouring the internet searching for old pre rendered CGI trailers that roughly look like the exact same fidelity as the Hellblade 2 trailer?

AC Brotherhood comes to mind:

Still, we have to remember they didn't show gameplay of Hellblade 2 and I have seen one too many in-engine trailers to be hyped about visuals

This news has shocked the Earth to its core

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My own personal hunch about the pricing of these consoles is that I think one of them will come in at $50 more expensive than the other. So for example:
PS5 - $449
Xbox Series X - $499

or:

PS5 - $499
Xbox Series X - $449

I.E the price won't be the same but the differential really won't matter.

It's not based out of any actual analysis I've done, because I like my free time right now! Might do one for fun over the Christmas break.
Yeah, i get the feeling that sony might have some more leeway than MS to come under $499.

One, they said they are making the SSD themselves. Secondly, they were able to create two very cheap and very powerful consoles for less than a $100 compared to MS. Vita was light years ahead of the 3ds in terms of tech with OLED screens and all that, and yet it came in at the same price. Yes, the X1X was the only instance where they were beaten on power, but MS had to wait a year AND spend an extra $100 to get that power advantage.

This might come off as SpinningBirdKick style wishful thinking, but its entirely possible sony gets better prices than MS. Especially if the rumors are true that AMD made Navi for Sony, and that hilarious rumor about Sony getting a good deal on HBM2 chips. HBM2 is the only thing that helps explain the power gap beacuse i think MS is doing their best to push the clocks at the moment. i wouldnt be surprised if Sony goes with 2TB SSD.

Lastly, Sony simply has more skin in the game than MS. Will Satya allow Phil to take a $100 loss? after a bad gen? a massive portion of sony's revenue comes from the PS division. They will be willing to take an additional $50 if their BOM is the same as MS. I've said that its imperative for MS to come in more powerful, but it might also be true for Sony. They need to be more powerful AND cheaper to retain that audience. Any drop in that insane $12 billion a year revenue on PSN alone is going to get shareholders mad.

it's entirely possible they get complacent and launch a weaker and cheaper console, but Jim Ryan himself said hes not going to be complacent.

thanks for the info. By the size of the console it looks like air flow cooling right? so cheaper?
there is no way MS isnt using vapor chamber cooling. i think the airflow phil talked about is just a precaution to make sure they dont RROD because i have a hunch they are both 200W+ consoles. so we are going back to the PS360 era with high tdps and state of the art machines. the size of the console is the biggest giveaway.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Didn't many insiders say MS was behind schedule or that they weren't far along in the process of the new system?

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, i get the feeling that sony might have some more leeway than MS to come under $499.

One, they said they are making the SSD themselves. Secondly, they were able to create two very cheap and very powerful consoles for less than a $100 compared to MS. Vita was light years ahead of the 3ds in terms of tech with OLED screens and all that, and yet it came in at the same price. Yes, the X1X was the only instance where they were beaten on power, but MS had to wait a year AND spend an extra $100 to get that power advantage.

This might come off as SpinningBirdKick style wishful thinking, but its entirely possible sony gets better prices than MS. Especially if the rumors are true that AMD made Navi for Sony, and that hilarious rumor about Sony getting a good deal on HBM2 chips. HBM2 is the only thing that helps explain the power gap beacuse i think MS is doing their best to push the clocks at the moment. i wouldnt be surprised if Sony goes with 2TB SSD.

Lastly, Sony simply has more skin in the game than MS. Will Satya allow Phil to take a $100 loss? after a bad gen? a massive portion of sony's revenue comes from the PS division. They will be willing to take an additional $50 if their BOM is the same as MS. I've said that its imperative for MS to come in more powerful, but it might also be true for Sony. They need to be more powerful AND cheaper to retain that audience. Any drop in that insane $12 billion a year revenue on PSN alone is going to get shareholders mad.

it's entirely possible they get complacent and launch a weaker and cheaper console, but Jim Ryan himself said hes not going to be complacent.

I completely agree with all of that, but Microsoft has shown in the past how willing they are to take large losses (not specifically Xbox division but company wide). They are also extremely dedicated to moving all of their customers into a subscription based model. I wouldn't be shocked if they are willing to lose quite a bit per console in hopes of making up the loss several years down the road with subscription revenue.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Pertaining to XSeX:

Does anyone have an idea how they are designing the motherboard? Can they be designed with 90 degree changes in direction? Or is it a tier based design that is interconnected?

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't many insiders say MS was behind schedule or that they weren't far along in the process of the new system?
The whole thing for both MS and Sony is a long process that happens in stages.

Sony is "ahead" in that process by having documentation and kits out in the wild, MS is "behind" only in the sense they're just now getting kits to developers.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
giphy.gif
It's not the rigth thread my apologies so I can't in deep but yes Spencer never convinced me at all although the all prize around him. Could be interesting discuss seriously about it avoiding stupid console war.

OP
OP
Mecha Meister

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

MetalGearZed

Oct 30, 2017
Pretty sure he said Hellblade was on another level. Post 19926. People continuously post misinformation over and over in here it's getting annoying like the PS5 is 10 TF.

Edit: GCN is being posted below this lol.
He was replying to my post.
And I asked:
Was Hellblade 2 about in-line with what you've seen or have you seen even crazier things?
To which he replied:
No, hellblade looks pretty fucking insane

Now, I sorta asked two questions in one here, but I read his "no" as a response to the second part of my question rather than the first.
Now, I'm not saying that this reading is completely definitive, but I feel that it is a perfectly valid reading of his post, don't you?

ZannrebeI

Oct 24, 2018
Finally caught up on this thread and a couple of others.

Whew, that was a fun Game Awards and glad we're getting more info. The Hellblade video did look stunning, and I'd be very happy if that's what a lot of next gen games look like. At the same time I think it's worth quoting Phil Spencer when he was describing it when he said, "Tonight I'm proud to reveal a project early in development from an incredibly talented creative team who are no strangers to the game awards. What you're about to see was all captured in-engine, as being built to take full advantage of Xbox Series X."

That leaves me with a few questions like how far away is this title from release? Is this a target demo sorta like this video we got for Uncharted 4 where certain things could still be open to change?

In-engine is great but I would've been happier if Phil had also said real-time along with it. I haven't checked, has it come up in any other statements they've made on whether it was real-time? I wonder because of the comparisons going on. Of course Godfall isn't representative of the limits of what the PS5 can do but it is a game running in real-time and in-engine that we know is coming at launch. If the Hellblade trailer wasn't running in real-time and is just an early target spec for what they're aiming for then that deflates my excitement over it just a tiny bit.

Godfall did look alright visually but the tiny bit of footage we got didn't feel like it was a generational leap over what we could get right now with in-game cutscenes. Seeing the RT in the tiny GIF was nice and I kinda wish they had put 10-20 seconds of gameplay like that in the trailer. I know it's not fair to compare since we haven't seen that much of Godfall yet, but in comparison to the tiny amount we've seen so far I'm more impressed by what we've seen in TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima. That said, I'm sure the benefits of being a next gen title will become more apparent when they show more footage in the Spring.

I would also like to take a moment to thank Kleegamefan for being a beacon of hope and information when this place was going through some very dark times. Your continued excitement over next gen is something I greatly appreciate and I always look forward to seeing your name pop up in a thread :)

So the PS Meeting appears to be set for February and I'm sure the leaks will only intensify from this point onwards. I look forward to taking this ride with you all :)

It was confirmed realtime in the gamespot article.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Same and if it on the board it would be even cheaper and help save space .

I think it 100% will be soldered onto the motherboard. So many knock-on cost savings from the 2.5 HDD bay alone. Though expansion is still an outstanding question.

The SSD will be made up of something like 2 512GB/1TB chips + cache chip + controller chip that Sony and Microsoft will secure contracts in the 10s of millions of chips/month. I think favourable pricing is a cert. Also SSDs aren't new tech lets be honest. Tivo/PVRs will be next!

Not just SSD, Zen2/Navi as well.People sometimes forget almost none of this will be brand new tech in late 2020.

Yep. Just the sheer economy of scale of contracting for multi-millions of chips a month for multiple years is a huge win.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018

there is no way MS isnt using vapor chamber cooling. i think the airflow phil talked about is just a precaution to make sure they dont RROD because i have a hunch they are both 200W+ consoles. so we are going back to the PS360 era with high tdps and state of the art machines. the size of the console is the biggest giveaway.
1. AMD was never going to make an entire micro-architecture arch for Sony. This is the rumor that led people to believe that Navi was going to be exclusive to the next gen PlayStation. Where else were Microsoft and Sony going if not AMD? And if AMD was their only choice why not create something and sell it to them for maximum gain?

2. There are things that are traded, but what will determine where a console lands and what it sports is a given company's pain threshold. We live in interesting investment times where shareholder returns and stock valuations are what is key........do not expect that both will be looking to make huge losses for years to come. That pain threshold will always determine where they land when it comes to pricing. If they all have the same CPU, GPU both have SSD..........Sony may go for more SSD, more expensive RAM, but those comes at a cost of potentially not being competitive when it comes to pricing; the one thing that consumers really care about.

3. Businesses look at things in different ways. From history, I can safely state that every company that was playing catch up always took more risks. You can see that with the added investment in studios, Cloud, subscriptions and having all their games on console and PC. That is a company making more investments because they think that this is what will close the gap. What really matters is whether the established player is willing to also make a loss at times to keep market share e.g. in aviation, there are a number of airlines that will fly to a town where they make no money just to ensure that a new competitor goes out of business.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I think it 100% will be soldered onto the motherboard. So many knock-on cost savings from the 2.5 HDD bay alone. Though expansion is still an outstanding question.

The SSD will be made up of something like 2 512GB/1TB chips + cache chip + controller chip that Sony and Microsoft will secure contracts in the 10s of millions of chips/month. I think favourable pricing is a cert. Also SSDs aren't new tech lets be honest. Tivo/PVRs will be next!

Yep. Just the sheer economy of scale of contracting for multi-millions of chips a month for multiple years is a huge win.
I just hope we get that PS Meeting with PS5 specs in the next 1-2 months,i am sick and tired of pastebins,rumors,"leaks","more TF", etc. etc. It's exhausting, really time for us to move on from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.