• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
How big is Ninja Theory right know? It'2 quite impressive, that they are developing such a good looking game while also working on bleeding edge.
It won't really matter if one console is 1 or 2 tf faster then the other.

I would like to hear from some people who are more knowledgeable about developement to talk about how stuff like photogrametry and ray tracing
makes development easier since you don't have to make high res textures and lighting by hand so atleast to me it looks like developers should be able to make much better looking games with less manpower and time expandeture.

Also Ubisoft recently bought a team that works on photogrametry so maybe bigger publishers and Microsoft/Sony will have dedecated teams who just make photogramic textures for all the other teams, which might make developement at lot less time consuming.

I would like to hear some opinions on this from people who know about stuff like this.

Re: Photogrammetry

My favorite interview regarding the impact of photogrammetry has been this one with Capcom, who use it in all their games: https://www.techradar.com/news/how-photogrammetry-brought-resident-evils-world-of-undeath-to-life

Fredo

Oct 30, 2017
Expectations started at Vega 56 flops and mechanical hard drives. Now we got high speed flash memory, 2080 flops and raytracing. AMD, Microsoft and Sony are delivering a true next generation.

OP
OP
Mecha Meister

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Should have added "And on the 8th Thread, Klee Rested"... that's waaay better than all the other options available in the poll. (Too much Xbox and Lockhart)

Nobunny messaged me about it but I told them that I wanted to check with Klee first. Klee seemed a bit frustrated with the ongoings in the thread, so I wasn't sure if it would be appropriate. I'm also trying not to have this thread go on for too long past 20K posts as threads aren't really supposed to go on for too long past it, and I'm not sure when I could get a response back from Klee, I don't want to rush him.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, the Xbox Series X is 12 TF. How does it get there?
  • 48 CU @ 1954 MHz
  • 52 CU @ 1803 MHz
  • 54 CU @ 1737 MHz (with a 3SE setup)
  • 56 CU @ 1675 MHz
  • 60 CU @ 1563 MHz
I think clocks are too high at 48 CU. And 60 CU would be a really big die. Ever since RDNA was unveiled I've been curious what the next step up from the 5700 XT would be, and have wondered if we'd see a 3 (or more) SE setup or how far you could scale with just 2 SEs. I've always kinda liked 54 CUs in a 3 SE setup, this would also offer the ability to have an 18CU Lockhart feature the same SE setup as Anaconda. Though it's likely 52 or 56 would get things done just fine in a smaller die.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Nobunny messaged me about it but I told them that I wanted to check with Klee first. Klee seemed a bit frustrated with the ongoings in the thread, so I wasn't sure if it would be appropriate. I'm also trying not to have this thread go on for too long past 20K posts as threads aren't really supposed to go on for too long past it, and I'm not sure when I could get a response back from Klee, I don't want to rush him.
you are the OT owner now make your selection. The poll selection is awful (includes mine) tbh.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
  • 48 CU @ 1954 MHz
  • 52 CU @ 1803 MHz
  • 56 CU @ 1675 MHz
  • 60 CU @ 1563 MHz
I think clocks are too high at 48 CU. And 60 CU would be a really big die. Ever since RDNA was unveiled I've been curious what the next step up from the 5700 XT would be, and have wondered if we'd see a 3 (or more) SE setup or how far you could scale with just 2 SEs. I've always kinda liked 54 CUs in a 3 SE setup, this would also offer the ability to have an 18CU Lockhart feature the same SE setup as Anaconda. Though it's likely 52 or 56 would get things done just fine in a smaller die.

My bet would be 56 CUs. Big question is if it's 4 or 6 Shader Arrays. Also have a hunch that PS5 is also going with 56CUs as I've illustrated in a previous post.

Last edited:

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Expectations started at Vega 56 flops and mechanical hard drives. Now we got high speed flash memory, 2080 flops and raytracing. AMD, Microsoft and Sony are delivering a true next generation.
Just goes to show that optimism can win out over pragmatism.

Edit: Did MS say if Hellblade 2 was a launch game?

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing Xbox Series X is 52 CU @ 1800

And the PS5 might be aiming for 48 CU @ 2000?

Well PS5 is said to be smaller and has a mode where it can go 40 CUs or 18 CUs for BC purposes...

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I think people are forgetting we also expected $399 for sure next gen, MS & Sony are not throwing in this extra stuff for free. Once $499 became certain, it was obvious they were gonna buff up the consoles.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  • 48 CU @ 1954 MHz
  • 52 CU @ 1803 MHz
  • 56 CU @ 1675 MHz
  • 60 CU @ 1563 MHz
its either 54 CU or 56. i think 1.73 ghz is too high. previously they were able to add 8 extra CUs to a two shader engine Polaris for a total of 44.

We know that they need to disable 1 Dual CU per shader engine so if its a 60 CU GPU, it will be 54 CUs. if they go with 21 CUs we are looking at a 66 CU CU with 60 CUs. would they go with something that big? anything is possible with this giant cube design. I mean technically CUs are tiny. whats an extra 6 CUs to a silicon cost when it saves you 100 mhz in clockspeeds and drastically reduces your tdp.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
True my target price for Xbox Series X is $599 16gb gddr6, ssd nvme 1tb or more, zen2 almost on desktop clocks, rdna2 with 10+ flops doesn't fit well even on $499
MS are gonna take the loss & make it up with sub fee's, same for Sony, but at $399 with the SSD & bigger GPU, the loss was likely too big & they both moved to $499.
I bring it up anyway because just a year ago anytime i or anyone else said PS5 might be $499, i was always told "No" it's funny how quickly it's all been changing.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
True my target price for Xbox Series X is $599 16gb gddr6, ssd nvme 1tb or more, zen2 almost on desktop clocks, rdna2 with 10+ flops doesn't fit well even on $499
Console dies dont cost that much compared to other things. Sony's 350mm2 die with 20 CUs (same as HD 7870) cost them $100. a similar die size shouldnt cost that much more to fabricate.

They will both also take a loss this time around to hit that $499 price tag. console gaming is a lot more healthier than it was back in 2013.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
We have had multiple threads on era bragging about what Unreal Engine 4 can do on lesser than 10 tflops & telling us imagine what PS5 exclusives could do, then we get some footage of a PS5 exclusive & the engine isn't ready? I mean UE4 isn't the Source Engine.

Yes, exclusive. You know it is on pc also?
And you are right, because all the launch games on PS4 also looked the same...🤨

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Console dies dont cost that much compared to other things. Sony's 350mm2 die with 20 CUs (same as HD 7870) cost them $100. a similar die size shouldnt cost that much more to fabricate.

They will both also take a loss this time around to hit that $499 price tag. console gaming is a lot more healthier than it was back in 2013.
but the cpu at that apu is a crap. so maybe a $150-200 apu? and the higher cost of memory and ssd.

Fredo

Oct 30, 2017
I think people are forgetting we also expected $399 for sure next gen, MS & Sony are not throwing in this extra stuff for free. Once $499 became certain, it was obvious they were gonna buff up the consoles.
That's fair. The increase in cost is well worth it to have a generation that allows a larger leap in game development. People will be excited to buy these boxes.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
My own personal hunch about the pricing of these consoles is that I think one of them will come in at $50 more expensive than the other. So for example:
PS5 - $449
Xbox Series X - $499

or:

PS5 - $499
Xbox Series X - $449

I.E the price won't be the same but the differential really won't matter.

It's not based out of any actual analysis I've done, because I like my free time right now! Might do one for fun over the Christmas break.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Yes, exclusive. You know it is on pc also?
And you are right, because all the launch games on PS4 also looked the same...🤨
Im surprised so many people are cool with the idea of the PS5 having a 2080 Ti, but if i say if it did, Godfall would probably look better than a polished Lords of the Fallen, that's too crazy.
It's real easy to go nuts with Unreal Engine 4, it's a very mature engine.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
My own personal hunch about the pricing of these consoles is that I think one of them will come in at $50 more expensive than the other. So for example:
PS5 - $449
Xbox Series X - $499

or:

PS5 - $499
Xbox Series X - $449

I.E the price won't be the same but the differential really won't matter.

It's not based out of any actual analysis I've done, because I like my free time right now! Might do one for fun over the Christmas break.

I always told my self i can see one of them going for $449 .
I don't think these systems as expensive to make like some think .

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
but the cpu at that apu is a crap. so maybe a $150-200 apu? and the higher cost of memory and ssd.
a transistor is a transistor. doesnt matter really when it comes to manufacturing. whatever licensing they did to get Zen 2 is part of R&D and shouldnt factor into the BOM.

$150 is the max for the APU and thats only because 7nm costs are higher than 28nm costs. that leaves $70 for SSD and RAM since the PS4 BOM was only $381. That should be enough. The cooling should cost an extra $20-30 depending on how elegant the solution is, but thats the only loss they are taking besides whatever cut the retailers take. So $50-60 loss per console. $100 max which comes out to be $1.5 billion per yea if they sell 15 million units.

they make $3 billion in profits every quarter. they can afford it for their premiere product. MS makes $10 billion in profits every quarter last i checked. Both will take a loss to compete for that sweet PS+ and XBL/Gamepass money and 30% in digital revenue. a $599 console will be DOA.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Im surprised so many people are cool with the idea of the PS5 having a 2080 Ti, but if i say if it did, Godfall would probably look better than a polished Lords of the Fallen, that's too crazy.
It's real easy to go nuts with Unreal Engine 4, it's a very mature engine.

You still need the man power and budget .
If i remember right it's a rather small team making the game.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

Very reasonable.

My bet would be 56 CUs. Big question is if it's 4 or 6 Shader Arrays. Also have a hunch that PS5 is also going with 56CUs as I've illustrated in a previous post.

I hope you're right. Would be spectacular.

Where did the rumor originated from anyway?

Somebody's ass

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
a transistor is a transistor. doesnt matter really when it comes to manufacturing. whatever licensing they did to get Zen 2 is part of R&D and shouldnt factor into the BOM.

$150 is the max for the APU and thats only because 7nm costs are higher than 28nm costs. that leaves $70 for SSD and RAM since the PS4 BOM was only $381. That should be enough. The cooling should cost an extra $20-30 depending on how elegant the solution is, but thats the only loss they are taking besides whatever cut the retailers take. So $50-60 loss per console. $100 max which comes out to be $1.5 billion per yea if they sell 15 million units.

they make $3 billion in profits every quarter. they can afford it for their premiere product. MS makes $10 billion in profits every quarter last i checked. Both will take a loss to compete for that sweet PS+ and XBL/Gamepass money and 30% in digital revenue. a $599 console will be DOA.
thanks for the info. By the size of the console it looks like air flow cooling right? so cheaper?

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I want them to say 12TF also just for the fun of it and see what happens in the thread lol.
That would be the ideal power on the GPU. You would see a lot of calm.

I did state this though, that the power does not matter to most hardcore gamers, it has never really mattered, most people will simply get the console that their heart desires. Some of us were always going to get the XB1 despite it being 40% disadvantaged when it came to power; there were a lot of people that bought a PS4 Pro as a second console knowing full well that there was a more powerful console coming up.

Other than that, Sony is working at their own pace, and on their own timeline. My hope is that we do not have to wait until February to really see final specs on the PS5.

georgemichael

Nov 14, 2017
  • 48 CU @ 1954 MHz
  • 52 CU @ 1803 MHz
  • 56 CU @ 1675 MHz
  • 60 CU @ 1563 MHz

what if the series X is the hardcore expensive 599euro version?

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
What we have not heard anything about yet are the custom stuff and how these improve performance/offset stuff from the CPUs.
There should be at least two custom stuff, the AI chip/Engine and the Sound/media chip (OG had the Xbox MCPX and Xbox One has the Shape Block, the 360 I don't remember).

As for the name and design, design cool, name I don't care. It's not that I will utter it often. I will just call it Xbox..

Jul 13, 2018
I'm thinking the 12 tflops confirmation is in regards to it's equivalent GCN compute performance. If it were 12 tflops RDNA (~15 tflops GCN), wouldn't that be roughly equal to over 10x and 2.5x the performance of the Xbox One S and One X, respectively?

We're basically getting a 5700 XT inside the Xbox Series X, which is GREAT, despite what some people may think.

Status
Not open for further replies.