• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, apparently the hellblade trailer was running at 24fps?
unknown.png
How would you be able to render these graphics otherwise, modiz?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
this has been their goal with anaconda since last year. its why they went with the 2 sku strategy. that doesnt make it a fact. my goal is to sleep with Jennifer Lawrence. doesnt mean i will ever get to do that.

as for what happens if they do come out on top, i think it will help them steal some people from the Sony consoles. Gamepass is a very tempting deal, and crossplay has rendered Sony's biggest advantage mute. if one doesnt need to be in sony's eco system to play with their friends why wouldnt they pick a better and more powerful console? especially if they dont care about sony exclusives which btw looking at death stranding, days gone and detroit sales is not that many people. sony fans are not the same as nintendo fans who will turn every franchise into a massive success. if you arent into action adventure games like uncharted, tlou, gow and spiderman, i see no reason for them to stick around if the console isnt as powerful, crossplay isnt a factor and is basically giving away games for a dollar.

of course, i firmly believe sony will have a bunch of online shooters from their first party studios after an entire gen of pigeonholing themselves into action adventure games but thats a topic for a different thread.

You should tell me the sales for DG and DS.
Cause all we know for DG is it sell over 1 million in the first month in USA and a few EU numbers .
Think we have even less info on DS.
Also if you check sales you would see most of nintendo games are not a massive success and the ones that are have been around for decade plus (not counting splatoon)

Nov 11, 2017
As long as it's close to it, if it's indeed weaker, it should be fine.
This is fair and accurate analysis. I just think it's funny people believe Microsoft would brand their console as the fastest most powerful console if it was weaker of two. Klee's a great guy but I think its wrong on this( tbf hes been vague) , the whole point of series x is to be a premium brand.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
People here refused to believe Rebirth was possible. This is just me saying we can have photorealistic environments next gen. Characters look CGi, but environments look photorealistic which is what ive believed since seeing Death Stranding in action.

i think its because they were like 8 months behind on sending out devkits to third party studios and yet were the first ones to reveal the console and show off a next gen game. i dont think anyone in this thread was expecting MS to be the one to do so. Looking at how Sony gave the goahead to show off an indie game, it seems sony was caught off guard too.

dont read too much into it. it has nothing to do with tflops. the 12 tflops figure has been thrown around since early this year.
Yeah I think that's it but I wish that the first next gen game shown wasn't Hellblade 2 but a new action game from NT

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
This is fair and accurate analysis. I just think it's funny people believe Microsoft would brand their console as the fastest most powerful console if it was weaker of two. Klee's a great guy but I think its wrong on this( tbf hes been vague) , the whole point of series x is to be a premium brand.

Because Phil Spencer said somethimng about a goal they have ?
I also have my goals...

And yeah, a premium brand in the Xbox division.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You should tell me the sales for DG and DS.
Cause all we know for DG is it sell over 1 million in the first month in USA and a few EU numbers .
Think we have even less info on DS.
Also if you check sales you would see most of nintendo games are not a massive success and they one that are have been around for decade plus (not splatoon)
Death Stranding sold worse than infamous second in the u.k which is ranked 9th. it sold half the number of copies as days gone which didnt light the charts on fire either. i think both DS and DG charted on NPD but i dont see Nintendo or even GoW, Horizon or Spiderman numbers. maybe it did better in the U.S but Sony never released numbers for Days Gone which is pretty damning. we will see if they do it with DS but if they havent done it in a month, they likely wont.

as for nintendo games, you are correct. but all their big AAA franchises sell an insane number of copies. i am only talking about AAA sony franchises. i am not complaining about Concrete Genie or Gravity Rush not selling millions.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
People here refused to believe Rebirth was possible. This is just me saying we can have photorealistic environments next gen. Characters look CGi, but environments look photorealistic which is what ive believed since seeing Death Stranding in action.

Remember my thread back then?

People thought Book Of The Dead graphics would be too good to be true even for late next-gen games.
Some devs even claimed we won't see RT in next-gen but only for PS6.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal

You are falling for marketing and PR. They have branded this as THEIR fastest, most powerful console. Which, no matter what, it is.

Klee has not been vague at all, so I don't know why you are trying to call him out. Even if you think Klee is wrong, other reliable people (and one more garbage human) have chimed in with their thoughts on the power comparison as well.

Klee is not the only source here.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There was a picture around comparing the size of the new xbox and all current gen consoles but can't find it, if anyone has it i appreciate a repost.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The most important thing is the PR, which is what is officially pushed by Microsoft. Their statement on stage after the reveal and at their site. It's too easy to slightly move off script during an interview, especially live (which Phil Spencer did fine)

With that in mind, here's from the Xbox official site blogpost.

Xbox Series X will be our fastest, most powerful console ever and set a new bar for performance, speed and compatibility, allowing you to bring your gaming legacy, thousands of games from three generations and more forward with you.

Here's from their official twitter:

You can be sure that 'The Most Powerful Console' will be shout out from the rooftops if it's official that they are the most powerful. Like PS4 Pro's PR did for a short time.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding sold worse than infamous second in the u.k which is ranked 9th. it sold half the number of copies as days gone which didnt light the charts on fire either. i think both DS and DG charted on NPD but i dont see Nintendo or even GoW, Horizon or Spiderman numbers. maybe it did better in the U.S but Sony never released numbers for Days Gone which is pretty damning. we will see if they do it with DS but if they havent done it in a month, they likely wont.

as for nintendo games, you are correct. but all their big AAA franchises sell an insane number of copies. i am only talking about AAA sony franchises. i am not complaining about Concrete Genie or Gravity Rush not selling millions.

Sony don't really care about releasing numbers after a while it sucks but it is what is .
It took us years to even find out how TLOU was selling .
Truth is AegonSnake this is worst gen to say Sony big games don't sell massive numbers .
Also you should note that Sony games do better ROTW than do in USA unles you talking about spidey and GOW.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
So, apparently the hellblade trailer was running at 24fps?
unknown.png
4K 60FPS!

Like I said before, FPS isn't always the be-all-end-all.

Also, in-engine doesn't mean running on Scarlett, but running in-engine on some sort of devkit or PC.

I'd expect the game to look close to that target footage either way.

Feb 10, 2018
Do people not remember the first game Sony officially showed for the PS4 was Knack. As if that's been the barometer of games this gen. The consoles are still more than 300 days away, people need to get a grip.

Games are going to look amazing next get. Period.

The first tech demo they showed was a version of UE4 elemental demo.
Also they showed killzone shadfall, deep down and agnis philosophy. So it wasn't like "knack was the first next gen impression"

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
You are falling for marketing and PR. They have branded this as THEIR fastest, most powerful console. Which, no matter what, it is.

Klee has not been vague at all, so I don't know why you are trying to call him out. Even if you think Klee is wrong, other reliable people (and one more garbage human) have chimed in with their thoughts on the power comparison as well.

Klee is not the only source here.
He has not fallen for marketing he just wants that to be the case

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
He has not fallen for marketing he just wants that to be the case

I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

At this point, saying that one next-gen console is definitively stronger than the other is disingenuous trolling, because the past 400 pages have clarified this point over and over again. Nothing Microsoft has unveiled or said has changed where we (knowledge-wise) stand.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Given that form factor of the Xbox Series X and their bold talk about it being just as quiet as the Xbox One X from couch seating distance, honest question for the big Sony fans. If they are both very close in raw power as some are saying (within 10%) that most have also said shouldn't really matter at all in games, would you rather a quieter PS5 that is slightly less powerful than Xbox Series X or a very loud PS5 that is slightly more powerful?

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked/answered but work has been killing me this week......Do we now have to wait for the E3 blowout on XSX or will they still be doing their own full reveal beforehand?

Have to say the form factor will be a pretty awkward fit in most TV/entertainment units whether vertical or horizontal. I wonder if Lockhart will be a 'normal' One S-like design rather than this tower design?

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Given that form factor of the Xbox Series X and their bold talk about it being just as quiet as the Xbox One X from couch seating distance, honest question for the big Sony fans. If they are both very close in raw power as some are saying (within 10%) that most have also said shouldn't really matter at all in games, would you rather a quieter PS5 that is slightly less powerful than Xbox Series X or a very loud PS5 that is slightly more powerful?

whynotboth.gif

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
I don't mind the sound of my PS4 Pros, so I'd take the power. First party with more power is always better.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can only say that I believe we will get a DF article and I hope DF was at TGA. Trying to be a detective by analyzing a captured video to even get a discussion started about fps is purposely doing it with an agenda, no point otherwise. HB2 will not be a 24fps game.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The first tech demo they showed was a version of UE4 elemental demo.
Also they showed killzone shadfall, deep down and agnis philosophy. So it wasn't like "knack was the first next gen impression"
Memes aside, Knack's physics are better than 99% of games, i would say Cerny & his team really did show off what the PS4 could do there, just not in the way people were expecting.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did they even state it was realtime captured? could just be rendering frames slowly then played back at 24fps
he didnt say it was realtime. simply that was inengine.

this is what inengine trailers look like nowadays.

hellblade 2 is a generational leap over these even if the final graphics dont come close to it which i think they will. the biggest thing holding back this gen is the lighting. with next gen, there will be enough tflops in there to produce incredibly realistic lighting simulations.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
You mean louder and less powerful? Just kidding :) I would be more surprised if the PS5 is quiet compared to the Xbox Series X than if Sony somehow was a little bit higher on raw TF spec.

I mean, honestly it could be louder and less powerful, quieter and more powerful and then all the configurations you laid out.

In my current setup the "noise" of the Pro does not bother me at all, but my wife does notice it sometimes and ask if the console is going to explode. I'm way too used to it.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh it's the start of a new generation alright. The Order 1886 all over again.
It's more about the nature of the trailer, that has Senua's lifelike face emoting on screen, and the target market of it. For many, 60 fps isn't cinematic, since they've lived all their life watching movies and TV series with 24 fps.

It better not be the case for the game, but I think it's a good idea with how much of Senua's face you see, at a very short time.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
I mean, honestly it could be louder and less powerful, quieter and more powerful and then all the configurations you laid out.

In my current setup the "noise" of the Pro does not bother me at all, but my wife does notice it sometimes and ask if the console is going to explode. I'm way too used to it.
Yea i don't really care i play with headphones most of the time

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
he didnt say it was realtime. simply that was inengine.

this is what inengine trailers look like nowadays.

hellblade 2 is a generational leap over these even if the final graphics dont come close to it which i think they will. the biggest thing holding back this gen is the lighting. with next gen, there will be enough tflops in there to produce incredibly realistic lighting simulations.

I'm not trying to downplay anything - just clarify. Offline rendered using the game engine - possibly with extra AA/post processing - on what looks like a cutscene is a few steps above what you'd expect from realtime gameplay is all.

It does look crazy gorgeous, but Ninja Theory are fantastic with motion/performance capture and their art direction is incredible so that helps a lot

Nov 11, 2017
The most important thing is the PR, which is what is officially pushed by Microsoft. Their statement on stage after the reveal and at their site. It's too easy to slightly move off script during an interview, especially live (which Phil Spencer did fine)

With that in mind, here's from the Xbox official site blogpost.

Here's from their official twitter:

You can be sure that 'The Most Powerful Console' will be shout out from the rooftops if it's official that they are the most powerful. Like PS4 Pro's PR did for a short time.

"set a new bar for performance, speed and compatibility" it's literally right there in the PR. You will see 😀

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017

If you asked me before the Pro, I would have said, give me more powerful.

Is there an option 3 where it's equal and it's louder than the Series X without sounding like it's gonna explode? Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.