• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
HW raytracing is a confirmation of > 5700xt, 2ghz clocks though are unrealistic, that's still pc gpu territory with aftermarket coolers.
Yeah this talk of 50+ CU's at 1.9/2Ghz on a SOC is getting a bit ridiculous, we have seen how the 40 CU 5700 XT handles clocks on a PC already.
It really seems like both MS & Sony are going to go slow & wide, Big Navi at 52 CU's for Scarlet is almost a shoe in i think.

Ashler

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone made reference to This yet?
multifunctional-game-controller-770x510.jpg

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's zero chances, but it would be a good idea for Xbox to just hint at a reveal in January (if it's happening)

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
New game reveals could give us an idea of what to expect from next gen. Some kind of a "Watch Dogs moment".
That's what i'm thinking tbh, a real time demo of a new IP that isn't releasing on the first half of next year and isn't like anything we've ever seen before attempted on the current gen consoles, indeed i'm basically looking for another "Watch Dogs moment" on at least one of the new World Premieres tonight.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I dont want to get caught up on thinking too much about the butterfly design. It's a simple solution to make a mid gen console upgrade, but that doesn't mean that it's the only way to have BC.
I don't believe in butterfly design too. SONY took some times to finally released boost mode on Pro. And baring some few exceptions, it works pretty great. Digital Foundry thinks this mode keep the deactivation of half the CU. So they didn't took an unneccessary risk for a mod gen.
But if I remember correctly, there was a rumor Sony struggle with BC on PS5.
Idk if Navi allows for 3 shader engines. It's more likely for the PS5 to be 72CUs. 9WGP per shader engine, 4 shader engines total, or 18WGP per shader engine, 2 shader engines total.
O boi, we are now at 72CU, this week is awesome.
What if Ps5 9.2 - 10.25 tfs $400, ps5 pro 12.95 - 14tfs $500 also that makes rumors about ps5 weaker than scarlett true,but also makes other leaks about ps5 more powerful true.
There was a rumor about two SKU for PS5 (could just be SSD size differences). I don't remember if it was debunked.
I think we would know if there was a Pro.
"engine was built from the ground up for next gen" sounds like random buzz words. their engine supports PC, X1 and Scarlett.
a game being built from the ground up for next gen means not held back by current gen shackles, design around 7x faster CPU, 40x faster SSD, etc.
Fact is, the Halo E3 2019 trailer didnt show any use of the SSD, and no use of the improved CPU tech, other than 2x the framerate (again, the CPU is estimated to be 7x faster, maybe even better considering the 3.5Ghz which is more than expected).

A next gen game will look very different than what the Halo Infinite cutscene has shown.
The problem is the scenary. This is the interior of a spaceship, probably the most blend thing to show.
Klee friend said both these machines are getting performance greater than current navi cards. So unless we're getting some sort of mix of 5700XT with more CUs and RT, I think it might use the new cards being unveiled at CES (rumor).
I am convinced of that too. I think the whole "does console have HW RT" came to the fact those cards didn't existed at that time.
From AMD PR perspective, it is not good to say "we are launching new card, look how fantastic they are" while Sony and MS reveaved spec "oh no, we aren't using those cards, we will use next gen which are way better".
RDNA 2 will have HD RT and be more power effecient (which is our big topic here).

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
didnt the wccftech writer that leaked Navi accurately before anyone else say that MS and Sony are both using a bigger navi die than the navi 10?

Those consoles will be such beasts. It's seems to be pretty much the reverse of last gens lead up.

No, you can't get the better CPUs, take Jaguars!

No, you can't get the 2.4 Tflops GPU that was rumoured!

No, you can't get more than 8 gigs of DDR3 RAM (and praise the gods for that PS4 doubling in the last minute)!

Now it's like:

You said we couldn't do SSD/10+ Tflops Navis/good CPU/raytracing(/probably biiig APUs), so WE DID IT!

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Has AMD ever done a GPU (or, better, a modern GPU, GCN) with 3 Shader Engines? I can't recall any, so I don't think that's something they'd do.

That said, they have changed the internal architecture of the GPUs and created a new cache structure that makes it so each Shader Array is actually an almost entirely self-contained unit, and that removes a lot of pressure from the Shader Engines. I have a gut feeling that's actually how Navi scales up, adding Shader Arrays.

Now, if we assume that, mirroring the PS4 Pro ability to "switch off" one Shader Engine Navi can "switch off" entire Shader Arrays, the smallest configuration that achieves the "BC2 = 18CU, BC1 = 40CU" thing is with 56CUs as 6 Shader arrays: 4-5-5-4-5-5 WGPs (i.e. 8-10-10-8-10-10). Obviously, a 60CU part with 4 disabled for yields.

2FRuFRV.png

At 1.8GHz that would give us ~13TF. At 2GHz, that would give us 14.3TF - and yeah, that's a number we've seen before :D

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Has AMD ever done a GPU (or, better, a modern GPU, GCN) with 3 Shader Engines? I can't recall any, so I don't think that's something they'd do.

That said, they have changed the internal architecture of the GPUs and created a new cache structure that makes it so each Shader Array is actually an almost entirely self-contained unit, and that removes a lot of pressure from the Shader Engines. I have a gut feeling that's actually how Navi scales up, adding Shader Arrays.

Now, if we assume that, mirroring the PS4 Pro ability to "switch off" one Shader Engine Navi can "switch off" entire Shader Arrays, the smallest configuration that achieves the "BC2 = 18CU, BC1 = 40CU" thing is with 56CUs as 6 Shader arrays: 4-5-5-4-5-5 WGPs (i.e. 8-10-10-8-10-10). Obviously, a 60CU part with 4 disabled for yields.

2FRuFRV.png

At 1.8GHz that would give us ~13TF. At 2GHz, that would give us 14.3TF - and yeah, that's a number we've seen before :D
I do not think we will ever see such a thing. And a 4 SE array could end up having too much die space overhead too. I am curious if there is a bigger RDNA1 GPU how AMD has organized it on-chip.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Those consoles will be such beasts. It's seems to be pretty much the reverse of last gens lead up.

No, you can't get the better CPUs, take Jaguars!

No, you can't get the 2.4 Tflops GPU that was rumoured!

No, you can't get more than 8 gigs of DDR3 RAM (and praise the gods for that PS4 doubling in the last minute)!

Now it's like:

You said we couldn't do SSD/10+ Tflops Navis/good CPU/raytracing(/probably biiig APUs), so WE DID IT!
The only disappointment is RAM which it seems everyone is being quiet about now despite a few months ago a lot of arguments about it, im really surprised it wasn't 20+ GB's min. though it might be for PS5 who knows.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
The only disappointment is RAM which it seems everyone is being quiet about now despite a few months ago a lot of arguments about it, im really surprised it wasn't 20+ GB's min. though it might be for PS5 who knows.
Sure it's dissapointing if true, as I wrote earlier I would prefer 10tf with 20GB ram than 12tf with 16 not to mention existance of Lockhart

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Masses of RAM is just a crutch for poor I/O from the storage medium. Decent solid state storage offsets the need to lean on it like past consoles have and it's cost efficient - invest in ssd performance, gain on lower RAM requirements to achieve effective result. The maturity of the tech out there to facilitate these massive open worlds we see is already impressive, RAM doesn't need to increase by the same ratio as other facets when the storage device improvements obliterate every other advancement many times over.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know I would have said for sure MS would avoid having another XBONE console acronym/name but then they came out with the Xbox SAD so I for all I know they'll call the new console the XSHIT

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Masses of RAM is just a crutch for poor I/O from the storage medium. Decent solid state storage offsets the need to lean on it like past consoles have and it's cost efficient - invest in ssd performance, gain on lower RAM requirements to achieve effective result. The maturity of the tech out there to facilitate these massive open worlds we see is already impressive, RAM doesn't need to increase by the same ratio as other facets when the storage device improvements obliterate every other advancement many times over.
The SSD will help sure, but i just remember not too long ago we went 10 pages straight bickering about the amount of RAM, it's just funny because i don't think anyone expected under 20, including myself.
Also HBM could still be a thing for PS5 maybe too, but im on the board of GDDR6 for both with no DDR4 for OS.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
The SSD will help sure, but i just remember not too long ago we went 10 pages straight bickering about the amount of RAM, it's just funny because i don't think anyone expected under 20, including myself.
Also HBM could still be a thing for PS5 maybe too, but im on the board of GDDR6 for both with no DDR4 for OS.

A fair amount of people were thinking 16 is what we might get but was hoping for 16 for games and 4 for OS.
RAM just to expensive to get a huge amount .

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
A fair amount of people were thinking 16 is what we might get but was hoping for 16 for games and 4 for OS.
RAM just to expensive to get a huge amount .

16 or 20 is still a low overall multiplier so assuming we expect SSD to mitigate that, is it likely to make a significant meaningful difference which it is? 16 is obviously easier architecturally to support.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remembered when some were angry that people refer it as Xbone, as if it was a derogatory term of some sort.

Console wars has its moments.

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
"engine was built from the ground up for next gen" sounds like random buzz words. their engine supports PC, X1 and Scarlett.
a game being built from the ground up for next gen means not held back by current gen shackles, design around 7x faster CPU, 40x faster SSD, etc.
Fact is, the Halo E3 2019 trailer didnt show any use of the SSD, and no use of the improved CPU tech, other than 2x the framerate (again, the CPU is estimated to be 7x faster, maybe even better considering the 3.5Ghz which is more than expected).

A next gen game will look very different than what the Halo Infinite cutscene has shown.
Engines have scalability, just because it can support older hardware does not mean it isn't a next gen engine. It's almost certainly designed for the future. We have only seen cutscenes of a game more than a year out. What they shown isn't going to show off the new consoles power, which is odd. We'll know what this engine is capable of soon.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
16 or 20 is still a low overall multiplier so assuming we expect SSD to mitigate that, is it likely to make a significant meaningful difference which it is? 16 is obviously easier architecturally to support.

Well GDDR6 is better than 5 but the SSD is suppose to make a huge difference .
We are getting a huge jump with that which will allow them to use the ram better.

Status
Not open for further replies.