• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
To maintain the BW/FLOPs of 5700 XT, with 50 GB/s for CPU and a 10% inefficiency overhead, Anaconda would need 16.5 Gbps chips on a 320-bit bus. Sporty, but doable. Roughly 660 GB/s.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What AMD cards have had RT since earlier this year? We know that Sony has had dev kits out for awhile. Unless I'm missing something I don't know how you have dev kits out for a year with AMD equipment and no RT as the cards with RT weren't ready.

I assume there was no RT on the initial cards.
gonzalo leak in april showed a qualifying model which DF indicated means it was pretty much ready for release. its entirely possible they had it made for devkits to be shipped out.

It's been long reported that SOny is working with AMD on Navi. They are likely doing development on Navi and RT together. Why wouldnt Sony have a prototype version for devkits?

by april, the 5700xt chips shouldve been in full production since it got released two months later. if the ps5 was 10 tflops, they couldve just shipped a devkit with teh 5700xt instead of a vega gpu. neither had ray tracing but if what you are saying is true and the ray traced cards werent ready in april, then why go with vega and not a rdna card?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I would like herds of machines that roam dynamically rather than a specific area. So when you encounter one it's almost like a legendary Pokémon 😃

Yeah that would be fun and interesting .
Think certain robot can't go certain places is part of the game design but i hope they allow them to roam much further from there home ground .

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
To maintain the BW/FLOPs of 5700 XT, with 50 GB/s for CPU and a 10% inefficiency overhead, Anaconda would need 16.5 Gbps chips on a 320-bit bus. Sporty, but doable. Roughly 660 GB/s.
That's using RDNA1 tflops / bandwidth ratio. And you can always optimize the bandwidth accesses on a console.

Ergo: they won't use that much bandwidth, even at 12tflops.

Sunlight

Apr 22, 2019
If 12TF of xbox is not new, why a lot of people abandon previous creditable insider leaks, for example PS5 > xbox, > 10.7TF.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
That's using RDNA1 tflops / bandwidth ratio. And you can always optimize the bandwidth accesses on a console.

Ergo: they won't use that much bandwidth, even at 12tflops.
To assume RDNA 2.0 is different is just that - an assumption.

I have no idea what "optimize bandwidth accesses" means on a console. You think they can do things different than PC to a measurable improvement? There are slides out there that specifically show inefficiency on PS4 as CPU accesses rise, which runs counter to your argument. Hence the booking of an overhead.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Anthem reveal trailer? 😂

Lol

That Halo Infinite trailer at E3 is about as good as any next-gen game is going to look.

You enjoy this don't you? 😄

Jason mentions in Blood, Sweat, and Pixels that apparently neither Sony nor Microsoft were very happy with how that played out. I'm betting the current contracts required to get access to dev kits mandate that no games targeted for the new generation can be shown or announced as tied to the new hardware until they're given the go-ahead. It shouldn't be too much longer now, and it just means something of a flood when the time comes.

Woooh, I didn't know this. Thanks for the insight. Makes sense tho.

It's gonna make the surprise all the more sweet.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If 12TF of xbox is not new, why a lot of people abandon previous creditable insider leaks, for example PS5 > xbox, > 10.7TF.
Because everything is based on theories and leaks that are still not being told in a whole.

Like, all we know about Gonzalo is that it's possible that it does 2Ghz. It doesn't say anything about the final clock that Sony finally lands on. We also don't know the CU count.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
how are we going to tailspin back to 8 TF with this line of reasoning?!? Stay on message,

IT WAS GCN FLOPS ALL ALONG AUSTIN
lVkrgXg.gif

wgA4sys.gif

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
LOL, PS5 isn't getting anywhere close to 13.8 RDNA TF. I don't realistically see how either breaks above the reported 12 TF target for Xbox Scarlett, so the most realistic outcome is either almost identical at around 12 TF or PS5 in high 10s/11 TF.

I asked you before in the thread that when you claimed MS has "leapfrogged" Sony with the 12TF Scarlett and it was some new/revision to the target spec what your source was for that.

I'm still waiting.

If 12TF has always been the target spec for Scarlett (and we have literally no reason to assume otherwise) then the previous PS5 performance advantage hasn't changed.

Seems a lot of people on this thread have been pushing a narrative they would like to be true (MS somehow last minute massively revising target performance by 20%+ and leapfrogging Sony) rather than one that actually has any evidence whatsoever to back it up.

Can anyone please give me some kind of source that the 12TF is a new/revision to target spec?

Last edited:

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Guys I think we are focusing on the wrong metric. TF is one thing but the clock speed as DukeBlueBall said - will have a significant impact on performance and pixel quality.

Could a higher clocked GPU with slightly lower Teraflops perform better than a GPU with lower clocks but a higher Teraflop count?

And than there's Sony's MYSTERIOUS SSD tech to help mitigate bandwith issues.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
I asked you before in the thread that when you claimed MS has "leapfrogged" Sony with the 12TF Scarlett and it was some new/revision to the target spec what your source was for that.

I'm still waiting.

If 12TF has always been the target spec for Scarlett (and we have literally no reason to assume otherwise) then the previous PS5 performance advantage hasn't changed.

Seems a lot of people on this thread have been pushing a narrative they would like to be true (MS somehow last minute massively revising target performance by 20%+ and leapfrogging Sony) rather than one that actually has any evidence whatsoever to back it up.
maybe I don't remember correctly but the perfornance advantage was measured on the dev kits performance.

Sunlight

Apr 22, 2019
Because everything is based on theories and leaks that are still not being told in a whole.

Like, all we know about Gonzalo is that it's possible that it does 2Ghz. It doesn't say anything about the final clock that Sony finally lands on. We also don't know the CU count.
Let's try to link all the leaks: PS5 > xb >10.7Tflops, PS5 is 10.24TF.

Possible scenario:

1. Current PS5 devkits are indeed 10.24TF with 40CUs and 2GHz. Using a 5700XT@2GHz.

2. Final silicon is about 300mm2, in 7nm+, still under test. So the target would be higher than 10.24TF
by a lot (52CUs @ 2GHz, for example).

3. SONY could just use off-shelf 5700XT to confuse people. The additional cost to make a 5700XT devkit
is not high. And it won't affect the development very much as long as they can deliver more powerful
final devkits in time.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
Let's try to link all the leaks: PS5 > xb >10.7Tflops, PS5 is 10.24TF.

Possible scenario:

1. Current PS5 devkits are indeed 10.24TF with 40CUs and 2GHz. Using a 5700XT@2GHz.

2. Final silicon is about 300mm2, in 7nm+, still under test. So the target would be higher than 10.24TF
by a lot (52CUs @ 2GHz, for example).

3. SONY could just use off-shelf 5700XT to confuse people. The additional cost to make a 5700XT devkit
is not high. And it won't affect the development very much as long as they can deliver more powerful
final devkits at time.
well, a console that runs its GPU at much more than 2.0GHz it will be quite the achievement

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017

I'm still waiting.

Can anyone please give me some kind of source that the 12TF is a new/revision to target spec?

I laid out very logical points in other posts in this thread that take all sources of information into account in a reasonable fashion, and you just seem to want to pick a fight or something I guess. We will all see what these things actually hit when fully revealed, but I will admit that I would be pretty surprised if PS5 exceeds 12 TF at retail (or if Scarlett does either).

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Here is the thing.
At this point, there is to much counter-information to state anything.

This isn't true though. There really hasn't been much contradictory information at all coming from the reliable sources posted in this thread so far aside from the whole Lockhart is/is not cancelled thing.

All of the reliable sources have actually been rather spot on so far.

It's the pastebin/fake insider nonsense that has derailed this thread, as well as people trying to boost unreliable people as something more than spewers of garbage that has hurt this thread the most. As I said earlier, some people are intentionally misleading others by pretending to know what they are talking about, which is having a knock on effect as people are reading their garbage and going into other threads and perpetuating it. That also has an effect here as someone comes in and says "I heard X!" And then we spend two pages either discussing the new garbage or debunking it by explaining why it's wrong

So based off of insiders we CAN state that the consoles are close to each other and the PS5 is said to be stronger, but that's not confirmed yet. They are also both stronger than 10.24 teraflops.

Jan 20, 2019
This isn't true though. There really hasn't been much contradictory information at all coming from the reliable sources posted in this thread so far aside from the whole Lockhart is/is not cancelled thing.

It's the pastebin/fake insider nonsense that has derailed this thread, as well as people trying to boost unreliable people as something more than spewers of garbage that has hurt this thread the most.

So based off of insiders we CAN state that the consoles are close to each other and the PS5 is said to be stronger, but that's not confirmed yet. They are also both stronger than 10.24 teraflops.

And that is the problem, one day is one thing the other is another

Unless multiple sources are saying the same thing, it is hard to believe in anyone, even insiders with good track record.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

It's the pastebin/fake insider nonsense that has derailed this thread, as well as people trying to boost unreliable people as something more than spewers of garbage that has hurt this thread the most. As I said earlier, some people are intentionally misleading others by pretending to know what they are talking about, which is having a knock on effect as people are reading their garbage and going into other threads and perpetuating it. That also has an effect here as someone comes in and says "I heard X!" And then we spend two pages either discussing the new garbage or debunking it by explaining why it's wrong

So is MS still supposed to have two skus? I haven't been in here in awhile

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Could a higher clocked GPU with slightly lower Teraflops perform better than a GPU with lower clocks but a higher Teraflop count?

There are likely some edge cases, but I haven't seen enough on RDNA's architectural details to come up with a list offhand. In general, though, it's not enough to make a big difference for the wide range of rendering circumstances produced during the course of generating a frame for your average game.

The SSD and ray tracing stories for both Microsoft and Sony remain intriguing unknowns. I think it's a safe bet that neither party has something fast enough on the SSD front to make up for latency or bandwidth deficiencies in their chosen RAM configuration. Whatever we get will be slow enough by comparison that it acts as a distinct storage tier, it'll just be a nice change of pace that it's not slower than RAM by as many orders of magnitude as classic hard drives.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
And that is the problem, one day is one thing the other is another

Unless multiple sources are saying the same thing, it is hard to believe in anyone, even insiders with good track record.

It sucks, but you have to ignore the garbage and look for reliable sources who have dropped reliable news in the past such as Klee, Matt and Tomwarren!

So is MS still supposed to have two skus? I haven't been in here in awhile

MS does have two SKUs, Lockheart and Anaconda, as confirmed by tomwarren in a fantastic recent article.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
God I really do hope both (top) consoles are near identical in power for next gen. I want the games and services to be the defining features and I don't want another 'resolution-gate' like we saw earlier in this gen.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
God I really do hope both (top) consoles are near identical in power for next gen. I want the games and services to be the defining features and I don't want another 'resolution-gate' like we saw earlier in this gen.

Even if they are the exact same, there will still be visual differences due to differences in APIs, tools, etc. The great work that the team at Digital Foundry does is not going away any time soon.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
So the PS4 was going to launch with 4gb of ram, and it was a surprise when they announced it doubled.

I wonder if there'll be a last minute "and one more thing" moment when all the specs have leaked beforehand.

Something like "We also have 8gb of DDR4" haha.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Scarlett (Anaconda) - 13.1TF RDNA

PS5 - 11. 7TF RDNA

This is my best guess based on an impromptu Tarot Card reading from a one-eyed Gypsy who I stumbled upon while looking for an ATM today.

Discuss..

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Guys I think we are focusing on the wrong metric. TF is one thing but the clock speed as DukeBlueBall said - will have a significant impact on performance and pixel quality.

What clock speed comes to your mind?

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017

To be fair the actual summary of what has been said by "leaks" or "insiders" is nothing more than the following, which of course makes a somewhat surprising multiply sourced 12 TF retail power target for Xbox Scarlett interesting here when it would put the PS5 at needing to best that 12 TF number at retail if Xbox hits their target (yes these are targets for both of them until they make the final call on starting mass production). And of course the Xbox Scarlett dev kits have been further behind in getting out to more developers until very recently too apparently. I don't know who ends up on top by what sounds like a small amount eventually either way, but it really isn't accurate to portray things as a bunch of clear on record sources having PS5 more powerful either given the actual comments and record here.

• Andrew Reiner tweeted about PS5 being more powerful than Xbox Scarlett at E3 based on "dev chatter" and apparent target specs known to some at the time, but he never indicated whether it was a slight difference or anything before bailing out of the conversation
  • Colin Moriarty said something about PS5 being definitively more powerful than Xbox Scarlett at the same E3 time frame, and information from Klee and Jason from Kotaku since definitely has pointed toward very close power which made this "source" not on the mark it appears
  • Klee has a friend that is developing a 2021 or later next gen game that says the PS5 is slightly more powerful than the Xbox Scarlett (think OG Xbox One versus Xbox One S per his own comparison) based on just what he knows from the dev kits that they have had and whatever other specs info they were provided by Sony and Microsoft
  • Jason from Kotaku most recently after the 12 TF Xbox Scarlett information came out said that he has heard that they are both VERY powerful and that developers said it was too early to be able to say for sure which would be more powerful (this recent wording from him seems to get lost in the discussion here)
  • Matt as a mod on here has consistently said that they would be very close in power also and that it won't really matter either direction, but he hasn't clearly gone on record with which he believes is the stronger console even after the 12 TF Scarlett information

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I have to ask - why? Would you be upset if they just pre-rendered everything? I really don't understand the fascination with non-interactive graphics being a benchmark... in video games.

I can't speak for him but them being pre rendered means my gear can't show in the cuts scenes .
Sometimes i watch them over with different out fits or take pics .
Spidey was a game i did that a fair amount with and there few others.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
It sucks, but you have to ignore the garbage and look for reliable sources who have dropped reliable news in the past such as Klee, Matt and Tomwarren!

MS does have two SKUs, Lockheart and Anaconda, as confirmed by tomwarren in a fantastic recent article.
If everyone was surprised by the news that Lockhart wasn't dead, isn't it possible and perhaps reasonable given the proximity of the news, that people were also surprised to learn that Scarlett is targeting 12TF?

Before the WC article, other than a disregarded article from JeuxVideo, not a single insider or prominent news organization were talking about 12 TF targets for Scarlett. Now I see some discussing 12TF as if of course it was.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Do you have anything to say about the Digital Foundry findings in the video I posted?
I have something to say :-) This video is misleading in context of this thread (comparing navi to current gen console like ps4). They use R9 280X (which is fine couse cu's number is same as in rx570) and conclude with "From Tahiti to Navi, a notional 32 CU part based on the new architecture would deliver a 62 per cent improvement in compute power.". It's fine comparison but problem is that ps4 gpu equivalent radeon 7850 has 1.25x better teraflop/performance ratio than r9 280x so navi to ps4 is closer to 1.3x teraflop/perf advantage. (btw 9.216tf * 1.3x = 11.98tf ;d)

Nov 11, 2017
If everyone was surprised by the news that Lockhart wasn't dead, isn't it possible and perhaps reasonable given the proximity of the news, that people were also surprised to learn that Scarlett is targeting 12TF?

Before the WC article, other than a disregarded article from JeuxVideo, not a single insider or prominent news organization were talking about 12 TF targets for Scarlett. Now I see some discussing 12TF as if of course it was.
Honestly unless you're providing numbers I don't think the information is helpful or reliable at this stage. It doesn't sound like 3rd parties had real kits, more akin to the 7970s they had for the xbox one. We're better off trying to finding PS5's APU

Status
Not open for further replies.