• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
idk, it just struck me as odd, i really want 12TF beasts, but why would brad sams hear 2x performance if it was 12TF RDNA?
do you really think devs quantify performance like that?

i mean do you think they would run benchmarks on pc to see if its really 2.0 or 2.6? maybe the programmers who are looking at all the extra threads and salvating, but most devs wouldnt care. 2x is a rough guesstimate which is what most people need to know.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched that Brad Sams video, and he says primarily, first party developers have it.

Doesnt that also mean studios like Ubisoft, EA, Square Enix probably has access to it too? The problem at hand is it's not available to most like the PS5 devkit is.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
It's 12+ VEGA Teraflops guys.
Navi is Playstation 5 exclusive made by Sony.

This isn't about the GPU architecture being used, we know it's Navi for both. It's about how you communicate things like the TF number. Albert Penello himself said that this is an issue, and that one way to deal with it could be to adjust numbers relative to Gen 8:

I would think that they are going with option 2 & 3. Plenty of optimism about how next gen games would look like so far.

That would certainly be the best case, because then the leaks would hint at 12 RDNA TFLOPS.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Watched that Brad Sams video, and he says primarily, first party developers have it.

Doesnt that also mean studios like Ubisoft, EA, Square Enix probably has access to it too? The problem at hand is it's not available to most like the PS5 devkit is.

Yes, that was said yesterday by jason and a couple of days (or weeks) ago by Matt. Basically MS was a little behind in devkit distribution and lacking on comunication.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017

with those old Sony wanted to release the PS5 in 2019 but decided to push it back to get BC among others things correctly makes me think Sony has been steadily more ahead when it came to devkit handouts as they've been working on this longer

correct me if I am wrong but I believe the PS4 had similar ahead of schedule development to the Xbox One as well

I am guessing MS has no issues here like how they didn't for the Xbox One third party support

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, that was said yesterday by jason and a couple of days (or weeks) ago by Matt. Basically MS is was a little behind in devkit distribution and lacking on comunication.
I guess so.

Also I think there's a possibility the RDNA improvements is packed into this paragraph;

Both Lockhart and Anaconda reportedly sport eight CPU cores targetting around 3.5GHz, with Anaconda reaching a bit higher per core than Lockhart. The relatively modest increase in clock speed over the previous-gen systems may seem mild, but vast improvements to caching, new silicon architecture, and other general bespoke, proprietary optimizations will see Anaconda perform anywhere up to four to five times better than the Xbox One X, if targets are met.

edit: ok new silicon architecture is RDNA.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
with those old Sony wanted to release the PS5 in 2019 but decided to push it back to get BC among others things correctly makes me think Sony has been steadily more ahead when it came to devkit handouts as they've been working on this longer

correct me if I am wrong but I believe the PS4 had similar ahead of schedule development to the Xbox One as well

I am guessing MS has no issues here like how they didn't for the Xbox One third party support
yeah there's that possibility.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
But if it's GCN where does that leave lockhart? PS4 performance level? I don't think so. I think it's RDNA TF.

Agreed.

I think in the game of telephone, where people may have been whispering things to Brad Sams, and sharing relative improvements over last consoles, the people involved may have looked at just the headline numbers without care for what a RDNA flop was vs a GCN flop.

I think the original numbers were 12 and 4, that being RDNA flops, and then some people in the chain telling things to Sams abstracted that to '2x X1X', '4x X1S'. Don't expect everyone to be as super precise as people here might be ;)

One other thing Sams did mention - again? - in this vid is that from what he heard devs had been typically targeting Lockhart and then scaling up to Anaconda rather than the other way around. The suggestion was that this was what helped initially 'kill' the idea - but he's not sure as yet if anything has changed there in its revival.

sleepr

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Didn't Schrier report that "When speaking to Kotaku, one game developer briefed on Lockhart analogized it to the PlayStation 4 Pro in terms of raw graphical power "

4TF GCN would fit the bill.

Well yeah but he also said - like DukeBlueBall pointed out - that we could get near 2080 perfomance levels and you're not going to get that with 12 TF GCN.

Klee also said both consoles would be getting more powerful GPU's then the current NAVI cards.

Makes no sense to me but we'll see.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
LOL at it being GCN because of the 2X/4X performance...which doesn't fit anything else that has been said and communicated by AMD themselves. Use common sense guys, people get confused when you don't. It's RDNA. /discussion

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
By bad PR I meant the word of mouth of gamers in general. I should've been clearer. You would go to any Twitch chat, YouTube comments section, gaming site comment section, forums, and even at times IRL and Xbox was the butt of jokes for being weaker.

That (among many other things obviously) really killed them this gen. Terrible word of mouth. Just surprisng to me that they didn't go WAY hard on making damn sure they were the strongest.

The reason Xbox was the butt of jokes at the beginning of the gen was not only was the Xbox One weaker, it was also $100 more expensive and came with mandatory Kinect. It also had some silly and badly messaged ideas when it was officially announced, and all of these things (plus some others) are what hurt the brand early in the gen.

So the isolating factor wasn't just that they were weaker, it was the car crash pileup of a whole bunch of factors that caused them to shoot themselves in the foot. By comparison, Sony had their messaging and market positioning clearly defined and were also relentlessly on-message this entire gen.

Whether you look at this forum, twitch chats, Youtube comments or other gaming sites, its important to always remember that all of that data is not only anecdotal but also a lot of it is passed down information from the people who truly push new tech out through word of mouth: early adopters.

Whether or not the new Xbox is weaker or not to the new PlayStation will largely be inconsequential to the greater market as long as there is no giant gap. Microsoft (and Sony) have to nail their messaging more than anything else, and the only way power matters as a massive differentiation happens is in the following scenario (which we will say Sony > Microsoft in terms of power just for the sake of example):
- Microsoft decides their brand messaging for new Xbox is "the world's most powerful console" and rolls that out
- Sony's counter-marketing proves that to be false
- Microsoft (in this example) ends up with egg on their face.

You can replace the above with just about any marketing talking point, from game streaming to SSD tech to whatever else, and it would all be a similar example, showing that power is not a unique super selling point in the industry.

If Microsoft does not lead with "the world's most powerful console" their messaging will be focused on other talking points, and thus Sony (in this example) will be the ones saying "the world's most powerful console" and that becomes one of their talking points. It cannot ever be the ONLY talking point though, and both companies will need to come out guns blazing with all of their messaging in order to have an impact.

Another example: Google Stadia bragged and bragged about how much more powerful they were than the modern consoles when they were doing their PR, and no one gave a shit because the rest of the message was so bad.

Source: I work in Marketing, most notably in Community Development, Management and Product Marketing.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Wait so this 12+ 'target' could end up being 9-10 Navi TF?

It seems like this is a possibility. I just hope that when we get official specs, both companies will be clear about what kind of TFLOPS they are using.

LOL at it being GCN because of the 2X/4X performance...which doesn't fit anything else that has been said and communicated by AMD themselves. Use common sense guys. It's RDNA. /discussion

Of course it's RDNA. That's not what's being discussed here. The confusion is about the type of TFLOPS in their messaging. Are they RDNA TFLOPS? Or have they converted RDNA TFLOPS to GCN TFLOPS to make it more easily understandable for the average consumer, like Albert Penello suggested as a possible way of dealing with different degrees of efficiency when it comes to TFLOPS from different GPU architectures.

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
Why would the target specs be based on GCN, it doesn't make sense. IMO it's 12TF RDNA 2.

Maybe RDNA 2 is a much efficient architecture, that would explain why we are seeing such high TF number in next gen consoles.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
I doubt they would use gcn flops to falsely claim 12 Tflops.

It would end up biting Ms in the ass.

I still remember how they claimed that the Xbox One had 5 billion transistors.... i mean, yay?

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
It seems like this is a possibility. I just hope that when we get official specs, both companies will be clear about what kind of TFLOPS they are using.

It seems a foolish thing to try to do in this day and age. It can only end badly IMO...

I'm now curious what prompted Tom to wonder himself how Sony and Microsoft will measure performance. He knows something!

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Another example: Google Stadia bragged and bragged about how much more powerful they were than the modern consoles when they were doing their PR, and no one gave a shit because the rest of the message was so bad.

Source: I work in Marketing, most notably in Community Development, Management and Product Marketing.

That line has come back to hunt them in some ways and there marketing already was bad .

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
These numbers were provided to developers in XDK documentation. Why on Earth would MS provide some sort of converted, estimated tf number for an architecture that the part is not. It makes no sense folks. Those tf numbers are RDNA numbers because the GPU in the device is an rdna part.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Wait so this 12+ 'target' could end up being 9-10 Navi TF?
tenor.gif

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's interesting in the Brad Sams video is he talking about MS not giving most of the devkits yet. Do think that should be cleared up. I would say the simplest explanation is they might have the same trouble like Sony where they need those devkit cases with vents because it runs hot.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Both consoles will be rdna not gcn
Again anaconda target 12 tflops. It doesn't mean will be 12. Can be 11 or 10.5 and still be around target.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
do you really think devs quantify performance like that?

i mean do you think they would run benchmarks on pc to see if its really 2.0 or 2.6? maybe the programmers who are looking at all the extra threads and salvating, but most devs wouldnt care. 2x is a rough guesstimate which is what most people need to know.
if the recent 12TF figure did come from developers, then yea we can throw that away, this only works under the assumption that these verge and WC leaks (kotaku's article did come from developers which i will explain below why is that important) comes directly from MS and that it is a part of the marketing cycle, need to remember that the late 2018/ early 2019 leaks were also leaks from MS internally that seems to have been used as a tool to test market reaction.

then there is of course the matter of comparing to jason's article, which didnt mention TFlops but mentioned that lcokhart's GPU is pretty much on par with a PS4 Pro, which would make more sense if the reported 4TF by verge was actually GCN, as this is something told from developers.

then we have the first reddit leak from february that also said 12TF and 4TF, back when devs have most likely receievd only GCN performance targets yet as navi has yet to have been revealed and was still in development.

I hope i am wrong about this, and honestly i was arguing with someone else earlier about it and thought it was RDNA even after seeing all the evidence i pointed out, what that changed my mind was the video from brad sams.

CypressFX

Banned
Feb 25, 2019
We have to consider, that these might be very well RDNA 2.0 TFLOPS, so in the end it could be much faster than what we are thinking right now.

Little Reminder: RDNA has an middle advantage of + 1 % compared to Turing!!! This is what Is insane.

(To clear this up: In some Games, Turing is 10-20 % faster than RDNA, in others, RDNA is 10-20% faster than Turing, so an overall advantage of 1% compared to Turing, remember I am comparing the Architectures, no GPUs or Cards ;) )

Source: https://www.computerbase.de/2019-07/radeon-rx-5700-xt-test/4/

sleepr

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What's interesting in the Brad Sams video is he talking about MS not giving most of the devkits yet. Do think that should be cleared up. I would say the simplest explanation is they might have the same trouble like Sony where they need those devkit cases with vents because it runs hot.

Matt said that MS is not behind schedule, it's sony that is far ahead on the process which is unusual.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The simplest explanation is they have a different timescale to Sony and are bang on plan 🤷‍♂️.

Any devs able to chip in on when devkits have shipped in previous generations?

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Matt said that MS is not behind schedule, it's sony that is far ahead on the process which is unusual.
Yes, but what Brad says also has a ring of truth in it. Most dont have much of anything, and most are working off spec sheets.

edit: Brad has also put out a youtube video talking about Scarlett's teraflops that should clear it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.