• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Only if your virtualization solution requires writing, which isn't always the case. Read-only access to memory-mapped files means that you can discard content in memory without a write because you can always read it again from the original source whenever you need it. This would be a perfectly reasonable strategy for dealing with the huge amounts of texture and fixed geometry common in games - without a single write cycle required.

That's basically what HBCC does on the SSG cards (it does write to the mapped space, though).

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
The silence is deafening.

also: Kleegamefan you do you with style and class. Anyone paying attention knew what you said, yet surprisingly people acted like yesterday was the first time they heard Scar would be double digits. SMDH. And The other day Matt even said nothing changed.

You can lead a horse to water, you can't make him drink. You brought life to this thread long ago, and I am really grateful for that.

Thank you, three five.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I suppose it will depend on how developers build PC ports. I'm not sure they will want to "require" users to own large RAMdisks, especially with the price of RAM these days.

Also, RAM is volatile memory, whereas SSDs in consoles would be non-volatile. So I'm not really sure what difference what makes but one would imagine the functioning of each would mean some difference at least, e.g. a pretty hefty initial load on the PC side.

THANK YOU!!!!!
If they are going with just 16GB's of GDDR6, i really doubt they are going to have some fancy compression tech for the SSD, the talk of the SSD also having a pool of super fast RAM for cache can be thrown out the window too, at least for Microsoft. Who knows about Sony.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Nope. I've been following the thread quite closely.

People have dismissed the absurdity of silly "trillion dollar market cap" arguments that want to imply deep losses eaten on hardware. That's just hyperbole.

No-one that I can see has specifically argued that MS or Sony cannot or will not take a modest loss.

You need to be able to differentiate between actual rational arguments people actually engage with and absurdity that necessitate little more than... well...

giphy.gif

Agreed.

Kleegamefan, you're a boss and you've handled yourself in a classy, mature and admirable manner (which is more than I can say for a few of the folks on Era).

Respect to you, mate.

Thank you. Thanks to all for the support.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Man, we all really just need to be put out of our misery with the actual full spec reveals at this point :) The far more interesting stuff if they are close to each other in raw power is what they have done with their customization and APIs that could definitely make a difference one way or another in real world game performance because they are close in spec. I suspect that Sony does have some interesting things to talk about regarding the SSD given the early messaging around it and possibly some unique graphics efficiency thing, and I suspect that Xbox will have some CPU/DirectX customizations to talk about that can help with graphics efficiency and possibly some ray tracing implementation things.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I've never really been too hung up on who has the theoretical horsepower advantage, the realities of this coming generation is that assuming both Sony and MS are targeting the same price and neither is willing to eat a massive loss, they're going to land in the same area of performance. The quirk of the XBox One memory solution was engineers having to overcome a 'political' corporate objective and having to use a large bit of their silicon budget to do that, without that millstone the only real way you'd get two vastly differing consoles at the same BOM is if one of them had went with a different GPU and CPU vendor.

And even if we're talking about different BOM's and different launch price points it looks like from what we know about Scarlett that MS are pushing the performance envelope of the form factor so if Sony is coming in slightly beyond that then they're probably not doing it cheaper.

I couldn't tell you whether Sony or MS have the edge. Both would want to. MS probably need to have the bragging rights more, but I imagine PS4's legs would theoretically allow Sony to eat an initial loss within the division easier. But both companies have very good engineers: the PS4 was a marvel and even the Xbox One's ESRAM solution is actually a very good solution for the constraints imposed on the engineers, and obvious the X1X have shown MS can do a very good cooling solution.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Man, we all really just need to be put out of our misery with the actual full spec reveals at this point :) The far more interesting stuff if they are close to each other in raw power is what they have done with their customization and APIs that could definitely make a difference one way or another in real world game performance because they are close in spec. I suspect that Sony does have some interesting things to talk about regarding the SSD given the early messaging around it and possibly some unique graphics efficiency thing, and I suspect that Xbox will have some CPU/DirectX customizations to talk about that can help with graphics efficiency and possibly some ray tracing implementation things.

Tell me about it! I can't wait for the reveals. I'm really hoping at least one of them is in January, with the other close behind!

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Tell me about it! I can't wait for the reveals. I'm really hoping at least one of them is in January, with the other close behind!

The hinting by insiders that Xbox Scarlett could be soon makes me think there may be something in January, at least a Digital Foundry visit to Redmond type thing like they did with Project Scorpio.

Aug 26, 2019
You think we'll finally get some interesting physics implementations that actually affect gameplay?

MrDeveus

Apr 26, 2019
So, If I remember correctly, RDNA is pretty dependent on clocks, correct? If so, this leads me to believe that MS would want to keep clock speeds the same across both devices. Revised predictions, as follows.

PS5:
8c/16t Zen 2 CPU @ 3.2 GHz w/ 8MB L3 cache
11.059 TF GPU (48 active CUs @ 1.8 GHz)
16 GB GDDR6 available to devs (18GB total) @ 18 Gbps on a 288-bit memory bus
1 TB SSD @ 3 GB/s
$500 (with a $100+ loss)

Anaconda:
8c/16t Zen 2 CPU @ 3.5 GHz w/ 8MB cache
12.288 TF+ GPU (60 active CUs @ 1.6 GHz)
13 GB GDDR6 available to devs (16GB total) @ 18 Gbps on a 256-bit memory bus
1TB SSD @ 1 GB/s
$500 (with a $100+ loss)

Lockhart:
8c/16t Zen 2 CPU @ 3.25 GHz w/ 8MB cache
4.096 TF GPU (20 active CUs @ 1.6GHz)
9 GB GDDR6 available to devs (12GB Total) @ 16 Gbps on a 192-bit memory bus
512 GB SSD @ 1 GB/s
$300 (with a $75 loss)

This makes sense to me. Based on leaks and "trusted" sources.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Updating my most recent predictions based on the new info on Scarlett yesterday. Raised predictions for both PS5 and Anaconda. Almost hard to believe we might be getting consoles this powerful next year.

I think next gen will be a much larger leap than current gen was over last gen. When I look at last gen to current gen, it seems like the big jump was in RAM and GPU. Next gen it seems like it'll be CPU, Storage (SSD), and GPU will all be getting massive upgrades.

PS5
CPU: 8c/16t Zen 2 @ 3.2 GHz, 8 MB L3
GPU: Custom RDNA 40 or 44 (active) CU, 10.2 - 11.8 TF
Memory (total): 16GB @ 512-576 GB/s GDDR6
SSD: Custom PCIe 4.0

Anaconda:
CPU: 8c/16t Zen 2 @ 3.4 - 3.6 GHz, 16MB L3
GPU: Custom RDNA 48, 52, or 56 (active) CU, 11.9 - 12.7 TF
Memory (total): 16 - 20 GB @ 560 - 640 GB/s GDDR6
SSD: PCIe 4.0

Lockhart:
CPU: 8c/16t Zen 2 @ 3.1 - 3.4 GHz, 16MB L3
GPU: Custom RDNA 20 or 22 (active) CU, 4.2 - 5.3 TF
Memory (total): 12 - 16 GB @ 336 - 448 GB/s GDDR6
SSD: PCIe 4.0

The hinting by insiders that Xbox Scarlett could be soon makes me think there may be something in January, at least a Digital Foundry visit to Redmond type thing like they did with Project Scorpio.

Superbowl Commercial! Xbox Adaptive controller was featured this year (2019), great opportuntiy to show off next gen in a Superbowl ad in 2020.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
The current HDD inside the Xbox is 100MB/s or higher but let us stick with 100 for easy math if you take the 40 times better performence as "faster" than you are at 4GB/s already.
It's not that fast in a console. The 40x jump isn't based on max theoretical speed that drive can achieve in a desktop setting. It would probably be 40x compared to what devs see in the games they make.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
<3 Klee.

is your info still up to date? I'm guessing yes. These machines are going to be so good.

maybe ps5 is 13.8TF

PS5 and Anaconda are not going to be good. They are going to be amazing!

We are at each other's throats, console-warring over fantastic console vs. fantastic console.

Whether you are talking about Xbox Anaconda or PS5, the tech is better than you, I, or anyone else could have hoped for.

Even better, Microsoft and Sony are working hard to give you great gaming experiences, whether it's AAA games from Worldwide Studios, innovative services like Gamepass or future focused initiatives like the joint venture between MS/Sony for Cloud Gaming.

What we will be receiving in the near future from Xbox and PlayStation looks to be way better than we have today.

This is a scary thought, because I honestly don't have enough time to play all the mountains of great games available today. It's backlog hell!

Whoever ultimately "wins" the TeraFlop war isn't necessarily going to give you better/worse games than the "Loser"

Deep down, we all know it. Or we all should know it

Last edited:

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

We are at each other's throats, console-warring over fantastic console vs. fantastic console.

Whether you are talking about Xbox Anaconda or PS5, the tech is better than you, I, or anyone else could have hoped for.

Even better, Microsoft and Sony are working hard to give you great gaming experiences, whether it's AAA games from Worldwide Studios, innovative services like Gamepass or future focused initiatives like the joint venture between MS/Sony for Cloud Gaming.

What we will be receiving in the near future from Xbox and PlayStation looks to be way better than we have today.

This is a scary thought, because I honestly don't have enough time to all the mountains of great games available today.

Whoever ultimately "wins" the TeraFlop war isn't necessarily going to give you better/worse games than the "Loser"

Klee i have to ask if you think stadia will be able to keep up with next gen from what we seeing going on with current gen game gfx setting
Next gen sound amazing and it look like Stadia really have there work cut out for them .

Oct 27, 2017
I think the best candidates for next gen launches are: Batman (cross gen), BGE2 (cross gen), and Assassins Creed Vikings (maybe next gen only?) plus whatever Bluepoint is making for Sony. And Halo for Xbox.

no reason to launch with too many exclusives since early adopters will move 3-5M units in first 6 months.

hoping Horizon 2 is early or mid 2021, can't wait to see it. Was already one of the best looking games this gen imo

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I think the best candidates for next gen launches are: Batman (cross gen), BGE2 (cross gen), and Assassins Creed Vikings (maybe next gen only?) plus whatever Bluepoint is making for Sony. And Halo for Xbox.

no reason to launch with too many exclusives since early adopters will move 3-5M units in first 6 months.

hoping Horizon 2 is early or mid 2021, can't wait to see it. Was already one of the best looking games this gen imo

You are leaving out Watch Dogs: Legion, Rainbow Six Quarantine and Gods & Monsters, which Ubi already confirmed will be cross-gen titles. I would also expect EA to be there with the standard lineup of Madden/NHL/Fifa/etc.

Edit: Oh, and Avengers.

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
It wouldn't be a waste of money if it paid off in the end. Huge tech companies throw away billions all the time on failed ideas, start ups, company buy outs... Microsoft paid $2 billion just for Minecraft. Losing enough money to undercut Sony may cost 1-2 billion in hardware cost and could potentially make 10s of billions later in software. I have a BS in business finance and working on my MS in economics. This would be a classic price undercut strategy that is used all the time in the real world. Amazon and Walmart have put thousands of companies out of business doing this.
Well, you're clearly more educated on that matter than me, so no point in arguing. We shall see I guess, but I doubt MS will be more willing than Sony to eat large amounts of costs, given the importance of the console business for the latter.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Klee i have to ask if you think stadia will be able to keep up with next gen from what we seeing going on with current gen game gfx setting
Next gen sound amazing and it look like Stadia really have there work cut out for them .
Yes I actually do.

That said I'm not going down the Stadia rabbit hole. The level of Angst in this thread is high enough without me bringing my thoughts of Stadia into the mix.

See, you can teach an old dog new tricks ;)

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Not certain about MS but i think Sony will try to get more than 5 million consoles sold in less than 2 months .
Nov and Dec biggest shopping time of the year they would be able to sell them all.
Last time PS4 sell over 4.2 million in two months.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Windows Central article yesterday said it has 16GB overall (13+3)
I'm leaving my prediction open because this is something I think it's possible to change. If we go by the E3 teaser, there were 10 mixed capacity (1 and 2 GB) memory chips, with many expecting this to be 16GB of RAM. I think there remains the possibility of unifying the memory chips all to 2GB chips, resulting in 20 GB of RAM. If Lockhart were to use the same chips, it would simplify the supply chain. At this time in 2012, most devs, including Sony first party, still expected PS4 to have 4GB of RAM. 16GB is what is currently rumored, but I won't rule out the chance for a late change such as this.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I actually do.

That said I'm not going down the Stadia rabbit hole. The level of Angst in this thread is high enough without me bringing my thoughts of Stadia into the mix.

See, you can teach an old dog new tricks ;)

LMAO at learning new tricks .
I have nothing against it and i think streaming will be the future but just going to a take longer while than what some people \companies think .

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

Oct 27, 2017
You are leaving out Watch Dogs: Legion, Rainbow Six Quarantine and Gods & Monsters, which Ubi already confirmed will be cross-gen titles. I would also expect EA to be there with the standard lineup of Madden/NHL/Fifa/etc.

Edit: Oh, and Avengers.
Watch Dogs I think will land just before next gen but it could get a patch or physical version for next gen. It remains to be seen if cross gen games before next gen launch will get new packages or just downloadable patches idk.

oh Yeah FIFA, NBA 2K, Madden will be there too

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
No way BGE2 is cross gen. He will be one the first NG only title probably for holiday 2021.
Assassins Creed can't be next gen only if it is a 2020 game. It will be the same situation as Black Flag.
I hope to see raytracing implementations in EA's annual sports franchises. Madden could look insane
I am more intrigued by how Konami will handle the Fox Engine on next gen.

Oct 27, 2017
Not certain about MS but i think Sony will try to get more than 5 million consoles sold in less than 2 months .
Nov and Dec biggest shopping time of the year they would be able to sell them all.
Last time PS4 sell over 4.2 million in two months.
Yeah that makes sense.

get 5M ish sold by Feb/March 2021, then start hitting with bjg exclusives. For 2021 Sony exclusives I could see: Horizon 2, Spider Man 2 (rumored for be closer than thought), and maybe GT Sport 2/GT7 (holidays) along with times exclusive in FF7R-2 on PS4 and PS5.

with how Bethesda slips out big games like FO4 6 months before launch, i wouldn't be shocked if Starfield was one of the big holiday 2021 next gen games

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
No way BGE2 is cross gen. He will be one the first NG only title probably for holiday 2021.
Assassins Creed can't be next gen only if it is a 2020 game. It will be the same situation as Black Flag.

I am more intrigued by how Konami will handle the Fox Engine on next gen.

Black Flag was on PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Wii U and Xbox One, so same situation as Black Flag means both gens (if that wasn't obvious!). It actually released first on PS3/360 as well.

(Not saying you are wrong, just adding additional info for those that don't know).

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ok so what is the general consensus on remastering things for next gen ?
Should I wait playing Uncharted 4 for the next gen patch or it isn't coming for any game released before 2018 ?

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017

This is a scary thought, because I honestly don't have enough time to play all the mountains of great games available today. It's backlog hell!

this is exactly how i feel too. MY priority number one is seeing this industry pour more passion into the creative folks creating this amazing medium we call video games. Just look at the last decade on the amount of games that have been created. It's quite astonishing and warms my heart. From people just messing around on ideas to those who pour their heart into it because they made their game with their daughter. *tear*.

A main factor of my interest into specs is because i really love technology and the advancements we are making for entertainment. hdr10 vs dv and how that is progressing. dolby atmos vs a bunch of other 3d surround formats. we had battles between video codecs when it was hddvd vs bluray. its not about who wins, its about the journey of getting to the next level. never settlings and always looking at what they can do next. i can go on and on about multiple things but i hope my questions dont seem to be those of wanting fuel for console warring. you can even check my history and i never, ever belittle developers and their work. nor would i be serious and berate sony engineers on whatever prototype or final spec. i just love seeing what they are able to come up with and to see them move past the mark of expectations.

ex of passing the mark of expectations: current graphics cards for pcs are very expensive that have a number around 10tf of power - yet our console makers are going to create machines, with additional hardware for a lesser price. talk about innovation.

oh which reminds me of something i read where Physicists discovered a material that can conduct electricity without heat. NOW that will be something to keep my eye on for all of technology. Heat is a big factor on limitations for plenty of electronics.

anyway, before i keep rambling. thanks for your work.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there is a contingent of people following this thread and then running to other threads and spouting off some of the things stated here as fact.
i saw this happen yesterday. sorry to call you out thuway, but PS5 being 10 tflops is not a rumor. if pastebin counts as a rumor then PS5 is also 14 tflops which is a rumor that dates back a year.

there is nothing else that points to a 10 tflops GPU so it was bizarre to see this stated as a fact in the other thread.

Aug 26, 2019
No ones really win on graphics. Grass is still not that great on both and lighting is underwhelming.
more fluid animation, better presentation. When it comes to accuracy of the models compared to PES, PES' models look better overall, with only a few I can give to FIFA 20.
Yes the grass is ass in Madden too. My biggest issue with Madden is animations. Some are still very stiff and janky, it's jarring because the graphics themselves are pretty decent.

Nov 11, 2017
Was this posted previously? Sounds like 3rd party developers didn't have scarlett devkits and only had expectation targets prior to recently. Only 1P prior to very recently had current kits/targets. Which makes sense why until yesterday it was tough getting concrete information on scarlett .

Around 7.20 mark

Status
Not open for further replies.