• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
There was a lot of rumors and talk about the PS5 devkit being nearly 13TF just ahead of E3.

NC0Yzu1.png

Which would be bananas. It's weird to think that current gaming laptops with this power are about $4000 here in Australia.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
from two days ago.
Playstation 5 - Features and Specs:

- CPU: Zen 2 8 Cores 16 Threads @ 3.2GHz.
- GPU: Navi 40 Compute Units @ 2.060MHz / 10.5TF ( Targeting 11TF ).
- RAM: 16GB GDDR6 @ 576GB/s - 3GB OS / 13GB GAMES.
- STORAGE: 1TB SSD NVMe @ 2,5GB/s.

- Performance between RTX 2070 Super and RTX 2080.
- Raytracing performance between RTX 2060 and RTX 2070.
- Boot time in less than 4 seconds, almost no loading times.
- DS5 has an LCD screen.
- Wi-Fi 6 ( 802.11 ax ).

The only downside of the devkit is the noise.
That shit is loud as fuck, our units sounds like a Boeing 747.

Interestingly ram matches Anaconda's configuration.

Kleegamefan does this look legit?

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
The guy who said that PS5 would be significantly more powerful, $100 bucks cheaper and that MS was going with Vega while Sony was going with Navi then got rightfully banned for being a console warring troll? Hey, I understand why some of you may like him but let's just leave trash in dumpsters.

Jokes, how do they work?

You people gotta learn to chill a bit when reading through this thread. Might end up poppin' an aneurysm or something.

Last edited:

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
I would prefer 10tf 16Gb + some ram for os no lockhart existence scenario than 12tf 16gb whole ram with lockhart exist

Lockhart makes sense because MS are supporting PCs.

All of their games have to be scalable anyway to run on lower spec PCs so the existence of Lockhart doesn't really change all that much in regards to their game design process.

All MS studio games will have to run on below average PC set ups - which will likely be something like Lockhart.

MS need to support PCs with lower TF GPUs and less RAM. Lockhart allows them to capitalise on work they're already doing to get a box under people's TVs and undercut Sony for "next gen".

Personally I think it's smart. They were already hobbled by having to support PCs with much lower specs than Scarlett.

from two days ago.

Interestingly ram matches Anaconda's configuration.

I mean almost every RAM permutation has been suggested by various people at this point. A broken clock is right twice a day. People need to pay attention to reputable leaks, not pastebin nonsense.

Reputable leaks are:
Gonzalo/Oberon/Flute/Prospero etc
Patents (inc PS5 dev kit - with pics)
Reiner
Moriarty
Klee
Warren
Matt
This windowscentral leak

These are what we should be basing our speculation on.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Lockhart makes sense because MS are supporting PCs.

All of their games have to be scalable anyway to run on lower spec PCs so the existence of Lockhart doesn't really change all that much in regards to their game design process.

All MS studio games will have to run on below average PC set ups - which will likely be something like Lockhart.
It make sense for ms but it's not scenario I like.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
It make sense for ms but it's not scenario I like.

Me neither, but it makes the most business sense. They get to capitalise on work they're already doing, undercut the competition for "next gen games" and it actually won't make any difference to their game design process since their next gen games already were hobbled by PCs which will have lower spec than Scarlett.

MS's "baseline" will be the lowest spec PC and console they choose to support for their exclusives. It actually doesn't make sense NOT to have a Lockhart like machine when their games already have to be scalable down.

XBO 30FPS/1080P ($200)
Lockhart 60FPS/1400p ($400)
Scarlett 60FPS/4K ($500)

And scalable games that can go between all three and therefore run on most PCs.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
That would be assuming PS5 is 10TF.

Which we have no reason to. Where did this all come from?

Things we know from reputable sources:

Both PS5 and Scarlett are very strong, have double digit TF performance and beat Stadia in raw TF
PS5 has a slight edge ~10%
Scarlett has 12TF GPU

Those are what we have heard from journalists etc
When did we hear that suddenly Xbox outperforms PS5? Or that PS5 was 10TF?

Oct 25, 2017

Both PS5 and Scarlett are very strong, have double digit TF performance and beat Stadia in raw TF
Scarlett has 12TF GPU

I suppose the information just getting folk going. :P

It is kinda like how some already have Sony with a much better SSD. I think Sony is more likely to have a noticeably better SSD, but I would avoid using that to confirm any running theories I have based on that assumption.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
MS haven't announced anything!

I'm sorry I'm sorry, english is not my native english and it shows...

Perhaps it's a controlled leak? Just a speculation. I mean, all sites (and Windows Games Central especially) seem to be claiming these specs as official. I know they are not confirmed or anything though

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
I'm sorry I'm sorry, english is not my native english and it shows...

Perhaps it's a controlled leak? Just a speculation. I mean, all sites (and Windows Games Central especially) seem to be claiming these specs as official. I know they are not confirmed or anything though

Either a controlled leak or what I believe an organic flow of information due to more people beeing briefed on the devkit now.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
For those that just got into the thread: MS apparently has had a round of meetings where they informed a new batch of developers the target specs for their console(s). That's what is being reported on. Whether these specs changed or not, and their relation to PS5 specs is purely speculation at this point.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who mostly lurks in the next-gen threads since before the PS3: I was always on team 10-12 Tflops...but back when we were talking about older GCN ones. Just for marketing dick waving I was sure they'd aim for double digits. 10 to 12 (or even thirteen :D) Tflops Navi with SSDs and fast CPUs would be shockingly amazing for either console. Like a dream over the more modest current gen jump that already produces STUNNING games. Overall it's not important for me who's the strongest, just that both are huuuge jumps over Xbone and PS4. From the sound of it we will get two absolute monsters, more akin to the PS360 gen and jumps like KZ to KZ2 or even bigger thanks to the CPUs and SSDs.

This brings me to Lockhart, which I was and still am against/sceptical about . K, 1080p to the Anaconda's 4k...but what about those devs that wanted to go with variable resolution or checkerboarding or "4k 30 fps/1080p 60 fps performance mode" on the monster consoles for all out graphics and effects instead of using all that power for native 4k? Will Lockhart drop resolution to 720p or sub-HD during hectic scenes with explosions, will it run games at 960pCB or what?

So, back to lurking, I have no wish to get into arguments over which insider to trust and who to denounce or who'll have the bigger stick.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
As someone who mostly lurks in the next-gen threads since before the PS3: I was always on team 10-12 Tflops...but back when we were talking about older GCN ones. Just for marketing dick waving I was sure they'd aim for double digits. 10 to 12 (or even thirteen :D) Tflops Navi with SSDs and fast CPUs would be shockingly amazing for either console. Like a dream over the more modest current gen jump that already produces STUNNING games. Overall it's not important for me who's the strongest, just that both are huuuge jumps over Xbone and PS4. From the sound of it we will get two absolute monsters, more akin to the PS360 gen and jumps like KZ to KZ2 or even bigger thanks to the CPUs and SSDs.

This brings me to Lockhart, which I was and still am against/sceptical about . K, 1080p to the Anaconda's 4k...but what about those devs that wanted to go with variable resolution or checkerboarding or "4k 30 fps/1080p 60 fps performance mode" on the monster consoles for all out graphics and effects instead of using all that power for native 4k? Will Lockhart drop resolution to 720p or sub-HD during hectic scenes with explosions, will it run games at 960pCB or what?

So, back to lurking, I have no wish to get into arguments over which insider to trust and who to denounce or who'll have the bigger stick.

Thank you for your post.

I share your skepticism about Lockhart -- What happens when devs make games (or want to make games) with the sort of targets that you mentioned, on the PS5 and Anaconda?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Wonder why Ms decided to go all out announing 12tflops if Sony was rumored to aim higher than that

MS hasn't announced anything... I don't buy the 'controlled leak' narrative and implications re. 'confidence' about specs either. Once the info is out it'll leak, partially or otherwise, irrespective of the wishes or 'confidence' of the platform holders.

I also highly doubt that 13Tflop rumour, or certainly would take it with a huge grain of salt.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Just to say something I think makes sense. Most developers have reportedly not even had Scarlett dev kits, while some have gotten PS5 kits.
It would make sense then if any information regarding their relative power in regards to one another, should be looked at with a questioning eye.

Oct 25, 2017
Just to say something I think makes sense. Most developers have reportedly not even had Scarlett dev kits, while some have gotten PS5 kits.
It would make sense then if any information regarding their relative power in regards to one another, should be looked at with a questioning eye.

Well our main "insider" in here says his source has access to both and apparently has for a while.

iceatcs

Oct 30, 2017
wait Lockhart still alive. Oh man, many 3rd party gen will be sore. I assume MS want it because of PC market and server blade.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Scarlett has 12TF GPU

When tomwarren said "MS wants to surprise Sony".

And a "trusted source" from DukeBlueBall sent him a pastebin with the reported target specs.

We've had more than one dev saying specs have been known for a while.

Honestly, everybody pretty much knows what the specs will be. It doesn't really matter if you have a devkit or not.
As has been said, information is shared before kits are released, and kits are updated several times before they are finalized.

The targets for these systems are shared early, because developers need to know what to aim for.

I feel like a lot a people in these threads are reading radically different things from "sources" who are generally all saying the same things.

We'll see in the next couple of months.

Dec 8, 2018
Thank you for your post.

I share your skepticism about Lockhart -- What happens when devs make games (or want to make games) with the sort of targets that you mentioned, on the PS5 and Anaconda?

Not to mention ray tracing which both seems to talk about as a defining trait of next gen. Nvidia 2060 struggles at doing 1080p with ray tracing and that card is 6(Nvidia)TF so probably more than 50% stronger than the Lockhart.

Will they seriously run games sub 1080p on a 2020 console or will they turn of RT on those games?

Status
Not open for further replies.