• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDeveus

Apr 26, 2019
I would really like to see a Poll for how many people plan on buying PS5 vs Scarlett or people who plan to buy both. it would confirm a lot of things.

I for one will be buying both Day One, but i do understand brand loyalty but not to the "fanboy" extent.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
The craziness is that the two console GPUs are much more powerful than what most of the people were thinking,11 or 12 or 13 Tflops it does not matter. Credit to AegonSnake who never change his faith to 12 Tflops and more.

OriginalPug

Nov 5, 2017
Although I'm not that technical, it seem to me that both the PS5 and Scarlet are basically one of the same and have been right from the initial concepts. They will have the same CPU running at similar speeds, same GPU with the same feature sets and memory configurations going by most rumours. They will both come in a similar sized plastic box and both require a similar amount of wattage to work. Just this alone suggests to me that they will be very similar in terms of performance. Yes they will have small differences here and there but ultimately they are the same. More interesting, competitors in the car sector such as BMW, AUDI and the likes often share the costs of new RD projects because the costs are astronomical, autonomous driving being one of them at the moment. I just wonder if MS and Sony have worked closer than we imagine on these new machines?

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Matt also mentioned that Scarlett being 12Tflops changed nothing concerning the power differences between the two consoles.

Matt said "nothing has changed" a few days after XO 2019. The only doubt here is if he already knew about the 12TF number or not.
He also didn't reply to any of my posts when I asked him if anything as changed, so who knows. Time will definitely tell.

Oct 25, 2017
Although I'm not that technical, it seem to me that both the PS5 and Scarlet are basically one of the same and have been right from the initial concepts. They will have the same CPU running at similar speeds, same GPU with the same feature sets and memory configurations going by most rumours. They will both come in a similar sized plastic box and both require a similar amount of wattage to work. Just this alone suggests to me that they will be very similar in terms of performance. Yes they will have small differences here and there but ultimately they are the same. More interesting, competitors in the car sector such as BMW, AUDI and the likes often share the costs of new RD projects because the costs are astronomical, autonomous driving being one of them at the moment. I just wonder if MS and Sony have worked closer than we imagine on these new machines?

AMD is the their vendor so it was inevitable that any major differences would be based on cost and not any special tech. Looks Sony has the SSD edge and MS possibly raytracing implementation.

GreenEarth

alt account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Yes, we can finally put 8tf to bed.
Did y'all forget jschreier said all the way back in March '19 that "both Sony and Microsoft are aiming higher than that "10.7 teraflops" number that Google threw out last week"?

I'm not singling you out jroc74, your post just fit a reply for what I've thought since the 12tf Anaconda news yesterday :)

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
12 tf is very impressive result (world recrod powerconsumption ?), 3.5ghz zen2 is also above exprectations but 16 gb ram ? Dissapointment, most of us want at least 16gb for games and some additional ram for os. But that doesn't change much, 4tf Lockhart is a problem. Most multiplatforms would look very similar to current gen games (4tf is weaker than xox gpu, ram amount also the same). Yes we have zen2, yes we have ssd but that means we will have more npc's, stable frames and quick loading times. Forget crazy staff on 4tf 12gb ram console base. Also most xbox anaconda exclusive games will not look so good because of lockhart (we see this already in Halo Infinite - very current gen graphic, weaker than Death Stranging). The only jaw dropping graphic I predict will be in ps5 exclusives. And again, we will see many impressive games on next e3 but they will probably be graphicaly downgraded so they could run on Lockhart. But I understand Microsoft, if they sell Lockahrt for around 300$ it will sell very good - good for Microsoft, for hardcore gamers not so good.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little surprised they're still needing 3GB for OS? with the SSD I'd have expected them to be able to keep that to the bare minimum and then swap in apps etc from 'hibernation' on the SSD when needed. I guess keeping OS ram stable from last gen is perhaps technically a saving as it'd otherwise have grown?

13GB usable seems small.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It has been a crazy day/night.

Targeting something doesnt mean you gonna hit it. No matter what we will have a glorious next-gen.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
I'm a little surprised they're still needing 3GB for OS? with the SSD I'd have expected them to be able to keep that to the bare minimum and then swap in apps etc from 'hibernation' on the SSD when needed. I guess keeping OS ram stable from last gen is perhaps technically a saving as it'd otherwise have grown?

13GB usable seems small.

Do not forget that MS mentioned to use the SSD as virtual RAM.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Funny how less than a year ago people (including myself) were thinking we're gonna get 8-9TF GCN at most.
Now we're almost at double that(GCN->RDNA teraflop improvement)

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
12 tf is very impressive result (world recrod powerconsumption ?), 3.5ghz zen2 is also above exprectations but 16 gb ram ? Dissapointment, most of us want at least 16gb for games and some additional ram for os. But that doesn't change much, 4tf Lockhart is a problem. Most multiplatforms would look very similar to current gen games (4tf is weaker than xox gpu, ram amount also the same). Yes we have zen2, yes we have ssd but that means we will have more npc's, stable frames and quick loading times. Forget crazy staff on 4tf 12gb ram console base. Also most xbox anaconda exclusive games will not look so good because of lockhart (we see this already in Halo Infinite - very current gen graphic, weaker than Death Stranging). The only jaw dropping graphic I predict will be in ps5 exclusives. And again, we will see many impressive games on next e3 but they will probably be graphicaly downgraded so they could run on Lockhart. But I understand Microsoft, if they sell Lockahrt for around 300$ it will sell very good - good for Microsoft, for hardcore gamers not so good.
Well 4TF RDNA, i think its better than old 6tf GCN arhitecture.Combined with ryzen 8 core/SSD. Maybe it will not be that much held back by anaconda? 4TF rdna may be enough for 1080p, what they are aiming for on lockhart. 12TF anaconda is for 4k.

Although it would be great just to have 1 model of next xbox, anaconda

Jan 20, 2019
Even current gen SSD's are far above 1GB/s. That seems rather to be a minimum to expect according to known SSD#s on the market. Basically a placeholder since sources seem not to know the final number as of right now.

No, current afford price market is around 512mb, the high end goes to 3,5Gb. Everything is a placeholder at this point, im coffident they can reach higher speed's then that.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Told y'all both Sony and MS were aiming to beat Stadia's number. Anyway, I'm no engineer, but my understanding from talking to people who are is that the CPU speed and the streaming capabilities of the high-end SSDs on both PS5 and XB2 will make wayyy more of a difference than teraflops, which seem more like console war bait than an actual measure of what video games will look like on these things. Games already look ridiculous enough; my hope (one that I imagine is shared with most reasonable gamers) is that the next generation of consoles is more focused on accessibility, 60+fps, and function rather than graphical fidelity.
So this backs-up the 'about' 12TF Scarlett rumour and debunks the 10TF PS5 rumour (that's been doing the rounds based on irrational logic i.e. Matt was providing his own expression of '15%').

It legitimately puts the PS5 somewhere between 10.7TF to 12TF (above Stadia to a number which is possibly stressing the limits of current technology in a console sized box).

Since we still don't know the real number, if 12TF is factually correct I believe Microsoft feel they have done enough to overcome Sony's PS5. However, rumours also suggest the difference is so slight and negligible it won't have any real-world difference. Big win for both platform holders.

Henceforth, there's still a possibility that PS5 could be very slightly higher. There's a possibility PS5 could be very slightly lower. There's a possibility that whatever advantage Scarlett has can be mitigated by Sony's bespoke SSD, or not.

There's still lots of permutations and so much to play for since, outside of architecture, nothing has been publicly confirmed by either platform holder.

jschreier and Kleegamefan making the anticipation of next generation pleasantly unbearable! My anticipation is sky high. Keep up the good work fella's.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
The L this thread as taken is incredible

They were wrong about everything, the only thing missing is HMBD.

I'm just trying to enjoy the ride, lol.
Did y'all forget jschreier said all the way back in March '19 that "both Sony and Microsoft are aiming higher than that "10.7 teraflops" number that Google threw out last week"?

I'm not singling you out jroc74, your post just fit a reply for what I've thought since the 12tf Anaconda news yesterday :)
Seems like some have. The speculation on the lowest end usually creeps back in every now n then. So now 8TF should never come back up. Then after yesterday and the Lockhart news....its been wild.

I cant wait til all are officially revealed. Keep forgetting about Lockhart....I originally put both are revealed. Even if Lockhart is for data centers.

Some mentioned that and it reminds me of the AMD keynote and the MS rep. Here's my question, wouldnt putting Anaconda in data centers be better for us? And would that mean Sony would go with a lower spec version of the PS5 for their streaming?

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
No, current afford price market is around 512mb, the high end goes to 3,5Gb. Everything is a placeholder at this point, im coffident they can reach higher speed's then that.

They were talking about next gen SSD's so basically something that is not on the market right now. To expect only 1GB/s is unrealistic if yo uask me and it also wouldn't match their statement about performence improvment over HDD.

The Samsung 970 EVO is quite cheap and it is really fast.

Jan 20, 2019
They were talking about next gen SSD's so basically something that is not on the market right now. To expect only 1GB/s is unrealistic if yo uask me and it also wouldn't match their statement about performence improvment over HDD.

The Samsung 970 EVO is quite cheap and it is really fast.

I dont think Microsoft said anything about their SSD besides being 40x faster that the HDD, dont know what speed that is.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Can we take a moment to dance on the grave of all the debbie downer predictions?

Things to add to the pessimists' pile of shame:

GCN
No RT
No SSD
No 8C/16T CPUs
8TF

A strong leak in support of a 12TF Scarlett is excellent news and finally puts to bed all the nonsense that has dominated this thread from day one from the "realists".

My final predictions

Scarlett $499
3.5Ghz 8C/16T Zen 2 (7C/14T available for games)
16GB GDDR6 (13GB for games)
12TF Navi with most features of RDNA2 added
2TB SSD

LockHart $399 (replaces Xbox One X in line up)
3.2Ghz 8C/16T Zen 2 (7C/14T available for games)
12GB GDDR6 (9GB for games)
4TF Navi with most features of RDNA 2 added
1TB SSD

PS5 $499
3.2Ghz 8C/16T Zen 2 (7C/14T available for games)
16GB GDDR6 + 4GB LPDDR4 (16GB for games)
12.9TF Navi with most features of RDNA2 added
2TF SSD

Also where does all this stuff about Xbox suddenly outperforming PS5 come from given that all credible leaks (reiner, klee, moriarty) state the opposite? Scarlett being strong isn't news, people have been saying that both Scarlett and PS5 are beasts with PS5 having a very slight edge for some time.

EDIT: The thing about lockhart is that with MS releasing all their games on PC they all need to be scalable anyway. Basically Lockhart can be the minimum spec they design their games for, Scarlett initially high spec and offer options in between for people on PC to tweak. Lockhart makes sense if you're already having to scale your games down from Scarlett to run on PCs the majority of which will be inferior to Scarlett.

Last edited:

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018
There was a lot of rumors and talk about the PS5 devkit being nearly 13TF just ahead of E3.

NC0Yzu1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.