• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh shit my sources told me Sony just gonna re release the ps4 original. No ps5 damn devkits are burning down studios.

Oct 27, 2017
MS need the more powerful console. So it's not surprising if they come out on top when it comes to power.

Sony just need to be there or thereabouts.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
10 and 12 TFlops will be nearly impossible to tell apart in real world games.

For those of you who go / will go nuts about such difference, that's similar to what you may see between 2070 Super and 2080 Super. Or for an even better comparison point - between 5700 and 5700 XT.

On practice this will result in everyone using the slower platform as the baseline and providing some very very minor enhancements for the faster console. It will be way less than even is between either XBO/PS4 or XBX/Pro. That's essentially nothing.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
10 and 12 TFlops will be nearly impossible to tell apart in real world games.

For those of you who go / will go nuts about such difference, that's similar to what you may see between 2070 Super and 2080 Super. Or for an even better comparison point - between 5700 and 5700 XT.

On practice this will result in everyone using the slower platform as the baseline and providing some very very minor enhancement for the faster console. It will be way less than even is between either XBO/PS4 or XBX/Pro. That's essentially nothing.

and if ps5 has smaller chipset, less cus with higher speed, being cheaper will probably win them the gen. lockhart wont be a enough to cover

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
12 Tflops + 3.5 Ghz CPU? This is really something amazing. Tbh the only thing that i didn't expect is the low RAM for games only 13 GB compared to 9 of XB O X which is not a a big leap.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Good grief people don't even hide their crazy swings one direction or another when any possible signs point to the "other" side possibly having more power. I don't disagree that in terms of raw percentage power differences we wouldn't be talking about massive differences with the Xbox Anaconda target specs information today, but suddenly people that were doing the happy dance about even a reported very slight difference toward PS5 back around E3 are now saying that it won't ever show up in any meaningful way with games and that Sony will just keep making the best games out there and so forth :)

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
12 Tflops + 3.5 Ghz CPU? This is really something amazing. Tbh the only thing that i didn't expect is the low RAM for games only 13 GB compared to 9 of XB O X which is not a a big leap.
yeah, but maybe the SSD is making that much of a difference.

I'm a bit annoyed about the 13gb for games but from what all the insiders told us, games are looking great and devs are happy.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah people forget that Pro was $100 cheaper and came out year earlier.
People forget that Microsoft and Sony have the same options from AMD so if one console has better CPU or better GPU or more RAM or faster SSD from the other it is because it was a manufacturer choice in order to focus on some other aspect of the console within the available budget.

Or maybe because the plans changed again and the two next consoles will not have the same price.

Different customization on the hardware, yes it can happen, but big difference on raw power at the same price while having the same options? Probably not.

Personally I will not rely on pastebin specs. I think jschreier is a bit more reliable:

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
The thread is definitely more lively right now....that's for sure.

Hopefully folks can get it out their system before the day is over.

So...what do y'all think about streaming to play the game while waiting for it to download? I like that idea. I can get behind, welcome that streaming all day, lol.

This is absolutely perfect for Game Pass discovery to be able to do that.

Feb 26, 2018
Good grief people don't even hide their crazy swings one direction or another when any possible signs point to the "other" side possibly having more power. I don't disagree that in terms of raw percentage power differences we wouldn't be talking about massive differences with the Xbox Anaconda target specs information today, but suddenly people that were doing the happy dance about even a reported very slight difference toward PS5 back around E3 are now saying that it won't ever show up in any meaningful way with games and that Sony will just keep making the best games out there and so forth :)
It's funny to hear this from you lmao

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you not read the last page we back to 8TF lol.
Also seem the fake pastebin leak have people thinking PS5 is 10.24TF.
i dont know if its fake. it makes sense. the logic is sound. and i say that as a founding father of team 14 tflops. We can discuss it but its completely taken over what should be 12 tflops scarlett celebrations.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jim Ryan is probably whooping Cerny's ass right now

because he follows the company strategy?

sony wants one affordable next gen console.
ms goes expensive for most powerfull, and has a much cheaper inferior version as well to compensate.

they do what they think will be better, sell more. i think if ps5 is cheaper than anaconda they will win the gen again

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
i dont know if its fake. it makes sense. the logic is sound. and i say that as a founding father of team 14 tflops. We can discuss it but its completely taken over what should be 12 tflops scarlett celebrations.

It's fake cause Klee said that number wrong .
If you don't want to go by that they get the name of the devkit wrong .
It's prospero which we heard from Jason

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Told y'all both Sony and MS were aiming to beat Stadia's number. Anyway, I'm no engineer, but my understanding from talking to people who are is that the CPU speed and the streaming capabilities of the high-end SSDs on both PS5 and XB2 will make wayyy more of a difference than teraflops, which seem more like console war bait than an actual measure of what video games will look like on these things. Games already look ridiculous enough; my hope (one that I imagine is shared with most reasonable gamers) is that the next generation of consoles is more focused on accessibility, 60+fps, and function rather than graphical fidelity.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Can we please for an hour celebrate a 12 tflops GPU before making this about console wars?

We have gone from 8 tflops GCN to 12 navi tflops which are basically 16 GCN tflops.

16!!!!

lol!
Nothing stops the console war train.

Nothing. Ppl overly sensitive to legit criticisms of their fav brand, company.....cats n mice living together in peace, ppl feeling sorry for the Patriots... absolute madness.

I was hoping for 20GB of ram, 16GB for games.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Told y'all both Sony and MS were aiming to beat Stadia's number. Anyway, I'm no engineer, but my understanding from talking to people who are is that the CPU speed and the streaming capabilities of the high-end SSDs on both PS5 and XB2 will make wayyy more of a difference than teraflops, which seem more like console war bait than an actual measure of what video games will look like on these things. Games already look ridiculous enough; my hope (one that I imagine is shared with most reasonable gamers) is that the next generation of consoles is more focused on accessibility, 60+fps, and function rather than graphical fidelity.

But people are saying the PS5 is 10.24 TF so that's below stadia numbers or what you heard regarding PS5 is also on the 12 TF mark?

Aug 26, 2019
because he follows the company strategy?

sony wants one affordable next gen console.
ms goes expensive for most powerfull, and has a much cheaper inferior version as well to compensate.

they do what they think will be better, sell more. i think if ps5 is cheaper than anaconda they will win the gen again
Anaconda and PS5 will have the same price

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the 12 teraflops number a surprise for you and devs or this has been known for a while now?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
The fact that I won't have to sit for 2 minutes at a loading screen is enough to justify next gen alone.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Jim Ryan is probably whooping Cerny's ass right now
It's 12:30 pm.

It's been a rough morning for Cerny. After months of internal confidence within Sony as to PS5's TF superiority, legitimate rumors have suddenly turned the tables, placing Cerny's hard work in doubt.

"It's OK", Cerny thinks to himself. "It's 12:30 pm, which means it's time for a respite from the day's insanity".

Cerny, of course, was referring to his daily afternoon bathtub. It was the one place Mark could get away from it all - his aquatic fortress of solitude.

Cerny swings the door open to his private bathroom, primed for relaxtion.

Only, it's Jim Ryan sitting - in his birthday suit - comfortably in Cerny's private bathtub, with a smug look of disapproval.

"What's this about 12 TF, Mark?"

"Oh, sweet Knack", Cerny said internally. His bathtub rejuvenation would have to wait another day. A sore ass due to a Ryan spanking was imminent, however.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Folks seem to be taking one rumour and using it to cancel out another rumour and running wild with speculation based on combinations of different rumours.

It's fun, but it's dumb.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Both of them having GPUs that 11+ TF and all the new tech will make games look crazy good.
GFX always sell so don't think games that Open World for eg will ever go 60fps on consoles .

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

I'm totally with you there, Jason. TFflop wars here make my eyes roll. We're being blessed with incredible CPUs and SSDs and that is what will make these consoles "next gen".

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
and if ps5 has smaller chipset, less cus with higher speed, being cheaper will probably win them the gen. lockhart wont be a enough to cover
I really wonder if MS is just shuffling power supply figures and cooling solutions now as it seems to be a bit late to redesign an APU for a retail product which should hit the market in a huge unit numbers in less than a year.
Which means that it's highly possible that they both have same number of units in their GPUs but MS may be willing to go with a hotter, louder, more expensive to cool product to claim the performance crown.
Another possibility to consider is that Lockhart is in fact a salvage part product which would allow them to use APUs with a higher number of yielded CUs in Anaconda and dump the rest of them into Lockhart - recouping some costs of producing the higher specced chips for Anaconda.
The first option is likely open for Sony too right now if they are willing to go with a more expensive PS5 than planned originally.
My only concern here is that they both may end up with hot, loud and fragile consoles trying to one up each other in the Tflops game which doesn't really translate into many benefits for the players - unless we're talking about upgrading the spec from 10 straight up to 20 - which won't happen of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.