• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Kids don't want next gen. They want what their mates have and they want Switches. There's not going to be tons of kids clamouring for next gen until adoption rate is way, way up and they know what these things are and what they offer from their friends. that's years in.

When I say kids I mean people who are not old enough to be working and buying their own $500 consoles. Plenty of high school aged kids will want next gen consoles.

Oct 25, 2017
Remember, a Lockhart game is supposed to look the same as an Anaconda game but at lower resolution. It is perfect for kids, people playing on bedroom sized tvs, and people that want the ability to play next gen quality games without wanting to invest 500+.
I think that would work best with next gen only content. It will probably take 3rd party about a year or so to go next gen only.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
they're a consumer that's willing to put up with a bare bones experience. I don't see "significantly" better being a factor to them. Can they play COD? Yes, well, great, that's the only barrier to entry....and there are existing consoles that can do that.
Even the mass consumer can be broken down into categories. Those that want the cheapest thing period. Those that will only move when fifa moves. Those that want better performance and new features but don't want to spend 500 bucks, etc.

There will be a part of the consumers that will see the 300 dollar price tag and be interested right away. Then it's up to MS and the devs to entice people over to switch, either through features or significant and visible performance improvements.

Not to mention if Lockhart can do 4k for cross-platform games, then that's still a big selling point even for casual markets.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If that is there target did they not just buy consoles for $199 for the last 2 years or they still got PS4\XB1 selling.
Answer me this AegonSnake why would they now spend more money for lockhart without any exclusives to give them a reason to upgrade.

EDIT as for the kids part they will most likley ask for switch or tablet or something like that over next gen system .
That's a very good point actually. I didn't think of it.

I think ms is focusing on faster loading and higher franerates for a reason. that will be their marketing pitch but i doubt soccer moms and kids give a shit about loading and franerates. I don't know. I still think they will do well during the holidays but i agree they will struggle to sell a very similar console to those who just bought a slim.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
the one downside in my mind is the casual consumer would prefer the BRD when the enthusiast consumer would prefer to not have it. casuals mostly have cheaper internet, enthusiasts probably have fiber and another dedicated BRD player.

perhaps they'll have an alternative physical release solution? like USB sticks? I see that they're now in the $5 range for off-brand 64 GB USB 3.0 sticks which is maybe 2-3x the actual cost of BRD?

considering we can use USB hard drives and with the much improved security, it can't be a bad idea to go back to a cartridge type of install system, especially since USB sticks slaughter optical drives in read speed.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
There are so many assumptions being made here it's almost useless to have these discussions. Price, power, marketing, whether there will be exclusive content (and how much). All of these things will drastically effect the ability of Lockhart to succeed and we don't know any of it.

I'm not bothering until we've got more info.

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
Where's this 299 figure for Lockhart come from? A superior machine to the 1X yet it'll cost less? How's that work then?

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
There are so many assumptions being made here it's almost useless to have these discussions. Price, power, marketing, whether there will be exclusive content (and how much). All of these things will drastically effect the ability of Lockhart to succeed and we don't know any of it.

I'm not bothering until we've got more info.
Summarized basically this entire thread lol.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
That's a very good point actually. I didn't think of it.

I think ms is focusing on faster loading and higher franerates for a reason. that will be their marketing pitch but i doubt soccer moms and kids give a shit about loading and franerates. I don't know. I still think they will do well during the holidays but i agree they will struggle to sell a very similar console to those who just bought a slim.

Even MS own marketing could bite them in the ass .
Like you said your brother thought the XBS system was 4k and now have lockhart that going for 1080.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Where's this 299 figure for Lockhart come from? A superior machine to the 1X yet it'll cost less? How's that work then?
1x is dead 11 months from now, it's that simple, a concole concieved to present xb1 games in 4k has no place in the market when anaconda does that and much more.

But the figure 299 is something picked out of the air. We don't even know if Lockhart will be a thing, if it is a thing whether it will release day and date with Anaconda. Assuming how much it costs is just pointless. Discussing what price would make it worthwhile and where it would fit in is worth the effort though, but too many people are making too many assumptions when we're a long way out with zero hard info.

Sunlight

Apr 22, 2019
One X is not the best selling because there are much cheaper ps4 and xbox One. But on the time of release Lockhart gonna be the cheapest next gen console there is.
Lockhart will run all next-gen games in an inferior fashion.
x1x also run all next-gen games (likely all xbox games are cross-gen games )

The point is: Lockhart is not very far from x1x.
If you can't sell x1x with low price how can you expect to sell lockhart well?

You can' expect lockhart suddenly sold good just by branding it with ""next-gen". Consumers know x1x is not far from lockhart. Even consumers don't know Sony will remind them.

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017

Physically smaller. Lower power needs from improved process and modest clocks on both CPU and GPU allowing for cheaper power delivery and cooling in design. Likely smaller memory bus. No optical drive. MS more willing to take loss on all-digital SKU.

There's a start.

Oct 25, 2017

You can' expect lockhart suddenly sold good just by branding it with ""next-gen". Consumers know x1x is not far from lockhart. Even consumers don't know Sony will remind them.
On a technical level, the Lock undoubtedly outdoes X. It just depends on how that will portrayed with marketing and whether it will be perceived properly by the market.

All I know is MS marketing can't be anything less than great for next gen. With all the different boxes, it could potentially turn messy.

All Sony has to basically say is, "Uh, here is the PS5. It is a lot stronger and faster than the system you currently have. After looking at these next gen games, please consider getting one. Thanks."

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
Remember, a Lockhart game is supposed to look the same as an Anaconda game but at lower resolution. It is perfect for kids, people playing on bedroom sized tvs, and people that want the ability to play next gen quality games without wanting to invest 500+.
And PS4 Pro was supposed to be a 4K machine and Xbox One X was supposed to be a TRUE 4K machine.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
In the US, Mexico and UK, probably yes.

I think it has a chance elsewhere. MS has to improve regional presence for sure however.

160331-4K-TV-penetration-around-the-world.jpg

Households without interest or money to upgrade to 4K will have a dilemma. Same with college students and others in spaces where 4k isn't a value yet. Personally I think Lockhart has folks a little shook because it can be disruptive. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony roll out a DualShockhart of their own.

Last edited:

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
People talking about casuals or people that want a cheap systems .
Those people just bought PS4 or XB for $199 or less for the last 2 to 3 years and some even think XB does 4K.
People are saying that these people going to spend $299 on lockhart on launch when they just buy systems.
Mind you MS won't even have any next gen only software or most 3rd parties.
Some people see cheaper price and not thinking fully .

It's that mythical group that are so interested in next gen, but want a gimped version of it they could get right now and at the launch of these consoles with an X or pro with games that will be cross gen for at least a year-two years or forever on an X. They are totally going to come out of the woodworks to get a Lockhart.

IF ms had come out saying their next gen offerings could only be gotten in next gen machines and the one and x and s and sad would just get whatever cross gen games third parties made, then maybe a Lockhart would work because there is a reason to spend that money to get it. If it's weaker and gets cross gen games and price is an issue for people, they can just get an X which will be reduced

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Just like the money they're making from the Xbox SAD ($249) which can't play used games or discs so why would retailers sell Lockhart($299) and at the same price as a Xbox One S, people be dreaming.

As I've suggested earlier

Just because it doesn't have a BRD doesn't mean it's all digital.

We could be seeing a return to solid state media. (USB sticks)

The BRD in Anaconda might not be for games, but only for the media center.

Density:cost for flash media especially when it comes to load speeds is mighty tempting

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
No. I said before that I'd hop in and try and clarify things if I saw parts leak. I'm very cautious of burning sources when the dev kits haven't been widely distributed yet.

Tom, you clearly have tangible info on Xbox Scarlett unlike pretty much everything else in this thread, and it also seems you are rather confident/excited in what is going on with their hardware.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

X1X does not run next gen games. Xbox One cross gen games are not next gen platform games. The point of Lockhart is that you can not only play Xbox One games, but you'll be able to play all the future games too. An Xbox One platform won't give you that. Why are we trying to equate an Xbox One X with the ability to play next gen games?

ForgedByGeeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Woodinville, WA
I would swear people in this thread do not pay any attention to product markets beyond gaming.

How many models of iPhone are for sale are different price points? Does anyone think the iPhone XS Max won't keep selling now that these is an iPhone 10 and a 10 Pro?

Does it make sense that devs would not want to develop for the 10 when the 10 Pro exists? Or do you hear devs begging for Apple to drop support for the iPhone 8 because they only want to release on the 10 to take advantage of the extra power?

Do you hear consumers of cell phones asking for Samsung and Apple to block devs from making new games and apps for the models from a couple years ago so everything will take advantage of the latest and greatest CPU and GPU?

Do you really think consumers of game consoles and devs for the games are that much different than consumers and devs on ALL other platforms in existence that play games like phones, tablets, and PCs?

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm a fan of From games, and let me just say that we're going to eat next year with both Elden Ring and Demon Souls (PS5).

I've heard about time contraction and dilation, but never eating it.

Must not be very appetising.

Yes that's what I want to hear, some peoples here thinks that sony will go with same cross-generation bs strategy as Microsoft, but now, i think it's clear that ps5 will have exclusive launch games which designed from ground up in ps5 and take full advantage of next gen gpu, cpu, ssd.

And mostly importantly, not be held back by a 4TF value SKU.

Deleted member 52407

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Agreed that GDDR6 makes the most sense. I'm just really curious why RAM is the one area Sony haven't even touched on at all in all the talk about PS5.

Probably settling on the amount
Yup, automatically fanboy if praise the successful of ps4, way to kill the point by labeling people fan boy.

The point is Sony went for gddr5 from the beginning. It was 4gb, but they workout a deal for 8gb.it doesn't matter the value, my point was the technology. More better they can match 8gb.
U calling it gambling as if you are in the shoes of decision makers.
Albert himself call that it's genuinely good decision as Sony went for gddr5. All developers happy about that. Why giving them credit for a good decision is so hard?

Let say, for sake of argument, Sony somehow went for reram, and this differentiate both boxes, where engineers working their brains to pull something competitor lack of. Yet someone will say it was gambling and luck.

Ps3 cell was disappointing and all accept it, ps4 was genuinely good from price to spec at the time and at least I accept it.

Well this isn't about praise, this is just about being realistic.

There is no correlation between Anaconda potentially being marginally slower than PS5 due to PS4 getting lucky with 8GB of RAM. Totally different technologies and totally different circumstances. This was your original assertion, wasn't it?

&

I didn't label PS4 going with 8GB a "gamble." That's exactly what the situation dictated by them originally going with 4GB of GDDR5 with DRAM prices dropping enough to allow Sony to use 8GB & Microsoft going with 8GB of conventional DRAM because they weren't certain that 4GB of any type of RAM would be enough.

Even MS own marketing could bite them in the ass .
Like you said your brother thought the XBS system was 4k and now have lockhart that going for 1080.

MSFT marketing is hit or miss IMO. Xbox One X and their Pro controller were marketed very well, but Xbox One was a disaster, Xbox One S was fine I suppsed.. So this is a good point. How do you think they will market this Lockhart then? There has to be a catch or a tagline that lets people know that this is a next gen box meant for 1080p.

IMO, they need to lean on it having Ray Tracing and 8-cores capable of 60fps and an SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.