• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2017
Even in the case where it only lacked memory, the sales of the premium version were much better. How is a console that's even more severely constrained supposed to do well?

I hope Lockhart dies in a dumpster fire. It's a bad move for next-gen gaming.
How is lockhart more constrained? It hypothetically has the same ssd and the same lower clocked cpu? I don't think you can compare lockhart to anything we have seen recently.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
There won't be a $499 Anaconda and a $399 PS5. They are basically the same components, they will price match each other. No one is coming in with a price advantage on those devices.

That is a fair argument but then the question might be: What about Lockhart in the event of Anaconda/PS5 being $399?

I suppose the 'surprise' Tom Warren mentioned (if an actual thing) could be that Lockhart will actually have the same base specs as Anaconda with only storage amount and/or ODD being different? One of the earliest rumours from Brad Sams (Dec '18 video) said Microsoft refer to the 2 SKUs internally as Scarlett Pro and Scarlett Arcade just like the 360.

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be interesting to see which of the two MS puts at the forefront more, or if they will evenly distribute promotion of both platforms. I also wonder how S/X fit into the equation too.

Feb 23, 2019
How is lockhart more constrained? It hypothetically has the same ssd and the same lower clocked cpu? I don't think you can compare lockhart to anything we have seen recently.

The other consoles were only lacking in HDD space

Lockhart will have a significantly weaker GPU and reduced RAM. That's going to cause issues with next-gen development across the board.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Are you guys serious thinking lockhart will sell the best? Do I need to remind you again how pitiful SAD sales were when it was introduced to the market? Digital sales rising doesn't mean people rushing to buy a console that doesn't play physical.

It's a new generation and a fresh start. I wouldn't take SAD as a good indicator since it came at the end of the generation for a platform that was behind the PS4. The current marketplace and it's timing also significantly weigh in on how well it did.

There won't be a $499 Anaconda and a $399 PS5. They are basically the same components, they will price match each other. No one is coming in with a price advantage on those devices.

I wouldn't assume that they're going to be basically the same and that the pricing will be the same. Don't you think Lockhart gives them the possibility and flexibility to go stronger on the higher end knowing they have Lockhart around for people who are more price conscious? I think if they're going for a two tier approach, they may go for a more powerful console than what the PS5 is going to be. Remember, Phil said they wouldn't be out of position on price or power. I think Lockhart gives them the price, and Anaconda can give them the power and consumers can choose which route they want to go. I think they would only go for something in line with the PS5 with power and price on Anaconda if they were only planning to do one SKU.

So basically,

Phase out Lockhart, but still develop games for it 4, 5 years down the line?

I mean ideally, Lockhart will be around for half the generation, so 3 years, and then it would just be supported for another 2 to 3 years after that, but yes you can support a platform without the hardware being on the market if Microsoft decides to go that route. You would just have three profiles settings for games rather than two. PC games already ship with a low, medium and high settings as standard on most games or something like it.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
has the new leaked AMD software updates posted here?
AMD are adding integer scaling and something called "Radeon Boost" in a software update this month, it has been speculated that Radeon Boost is actually dynamic resolution scaling.

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't assume that they're going to be basically the same and that the pricing will be the same. Don't you think Lockhart gives them the possibility and flexibility to go stronger on the higher end knowing they have Lockhart around for people who are more price conscious? I think if they're going for a two tier approach, they may go for a more powerful console than what the PS5 is going to be. Remember, Phil said they wouldn't be out of position on price or power.
If there is one thing all the insider folk have been consistent with, it is that PS5 and Snek are very close in power. Any difference between the two will be slight. MS not being out of position just means they won't be repeating what happened with PS4/X1 this gen where they were clearly out of position. That is how I took it anyway.

Feb 10, 2018
That will be tough to keep up, but I think their ability to support their console is way better now compared to this gen.

That amount of GDDR6 would get the job done. It'd be less expensive too.

I just think there is a slight possibility Sony may pull what they did last gen with GDDR5 by taking a risk. They may be willing to take a risk short term if they think the gains long term make up for it. That would be HBM becoming cheaper across the gen.

Maybe, but like I say I don't think it would be worth it as hbm is more expensive and the manufacturing methods are not as established as gddr6.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No, I think it'll be $299. The SAD and Lockhart aren't really comparable. The only thing they have in common is (potentially) being digital only.
So basically it doesn't count just because, got it.

It's a new generation and a fresh start. I wouldn't take SAD as a good indicator since it came at the end of the generation for a platform that was behind the PS4. The current marketplace and it's timing also significantly weigh in on how well it did.
It's much less of a fresh start than you think, last gen momentum carries over to the new gen and rise of digital plus BC makes it harder for people to change ecosystems, if something wasn't setting the charts on fire a year ago chances are very high it won't after another year too.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean ideally, Lockhart will be around for half the generation, so 3 years, and then it would just be supported for another 2 to 3 years after that, but yes you can support a platform without the hardware being on the market if Microsoft decides to go that route. You would just have three profiles settings for games rather than two. PC games already ship with a low, medium and high settings as standard on most games or something like it.
That would be terrible.

MGSV was release around 2 years after the release of the PS4, and a PS3 version was released as well. FIFA 19 was the last of the series that's released for the PS3, and that was last year.

Lockhart cant last for only half a generation. Unless of course, developers take the easy way out and just use X1X settings for the games, which is also, a PR disaster.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
If there is one thing all the insider folk have been consistent with, it is that PS5 and Snek are very close in power. Any difference between the two will be slight. MS not being out of position just means they won't be repeating what happened with PS4/X1 this gen where they were clearly out of position. That is how I took it anyway.

Lockhart was also dead among insiders for awhile now and here we are. I think we might be in for a surprise if we're assuming that's true. They could have had two versions on the table and conservatively were telling the option for a one SKU generation knowing full well if they did, they couldn't go over powered and over priced next to the PS5 with only as single platform. Now that it sounds like they're committed, they could be going with option 2 and will tell developers now they have more power available to them or maybe they already know this once they were told about Lockhart. We should be highly careful about what news might be outdated rather than continue to assume that they're set in stone because once again, Lockhart showed us things have changed. I could be wrong though and they don't do that and it's just perfectly in line with the PS5 too. I just don't think it's not possible either at this point.

Last edited:

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
That would be terrible.

MGSV was release around 2 years after the release of the PS4, and a PS3 version was released as well. FIFA 19 was the last of the series that's released for the PS3, and that was last year.

Lockhart cant last for only half a generation. Unless of course, developers take the easy way out and just use X1X settings for the games, which is also, a PR disaster.

I don't get why this is terrible. They'll still support the platform software wise for the entire generation; they just have the option to shift SKUs if they only want to sell two pieces of hardware. Nobody is talking about dropping support of software for the generation; I'm just talking about removing hardware from being sold to limit the choices. Plus the people who are buying Lockhart likely don't care as much with games looking the best. They'll be fine. These are the people who would typically be buying the previous gen consoles instead because they're cheaper except now they get to play all current generation games too. You're looking at the mindset of who these owners are in the wrong light.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Xbox One X has 12GB, not 16.
as others pointed out, the X1X has 12GB, not 16GB.
and i will add that you shouldnt be comparing to the X1X increase becasue it released only 2 years ago, but also GDDR6 vs GDDR5.
and then i will also add the advantages that very fast SSD will do to the RAM, first off, because you can swap data in and out so much faster, you will have much more "frame relevant data in the memory, for example, at a certain current gen frame, you actually have quite a lot of excess memory that is not even used in this frame, that just the HDD isnt quick enough to swap out and swap in more data for this frame, with the very high speeds of the SSDs, you can suddenly load a lot more data per frame to make sure you are using your 16GB to its fullest.
Xbox One X has 12 gigs of GDDR5 memory.

thank you all! Oops,idk why I thought it was 16.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Question, earlier someone suggested if there were a reram cache it might be possible to give it a direct line to the APU, bypassing the ram when needed. Is this a feasible scenario, and if it is can the OS run from it? That way there's no need to split the ram pool and all of it can be dedicated to the games.

I'm guessing this is not an option if it's just a normal SSD, right?

Oct 25, 2017
Lockhart was also dead among insiders for awhile now and here we are. I think we might be in for a surprise if we're assuming that's true. They could have had two versions on the table and conservatively were telling the option for a one SKU generation knowing full well if they did, they couldn't go over powered and over priced next to the PS5 with only as single platform. Now that it sounds like they're committed, they could be going with option 2 and will tell developers now they have more power available to them or maybe they already know this once they were told about Lockhart. We should be highly careful about what news might be outdated rather than continue to assume that they're set in stone because once again, Lockhart showed us things have changed. I could be wrong though and they don't do that and it's just perfectly in line with the PS5 too. I just don't think it's not possible either at this point.
I highly doubt that is what happened but it'll probably be better to just agree to disagree on that.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
as others pointed out, the X1X has 12GB, not 16GB.
and i will add that you shouldnt be comparing to the X1X increase becasue it released only 2 years ago, but also GDDR6 vs GDDR5.
and then i will also add the advantages that very fast SSD will do to the RAM, first off, because you can swap data in and out so much faster, you will have much more "frame relevant data in the memory, for example, at a certain current gen frame, you actually have quite a lot of excess memory that is not even used in this frame, that just the HDD isnt quick enough to swap out and swap in more data for this frame, with the very high speeds of the SSDs, you can suddenly load a lot more data per frame to make sure you are using your 16GB to its fullest.
🐐 Quality poster.

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
Lockhart was also dead among insiders for while now and here we are. I think we might be in for a surprise if we're assuming that's true. They could have had two versions on the table and conservatively were telling the option for a one SKU generation knowing full well if they did, they couldn't go over powered and over priced next to the PS5 with only as single platform. Now that it sounds like they're committed, they could be going with option 2 and will tell developers now they have more power available to them or maybe they already know this once they were told about Lockhart. We should be highly careful about what news might be outdated rather than continue to assume that they're set in stone because once again, Lockhart showed us things have changed.
https://kotaku.com/sources-microsoft-is-still-planning-a-cheaper-disc-le-1840203823
If Kotaku are the first to leak that currently Lockhart is alive, doesn't that mean their other info that PS5 and Anaconda are similar power wise is also correct and current info.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
No. I said before that I'd hop in and try and clarify things if I saw parts leak. I'm very cautious of burning sources when the dev kits haven't been widely distributed yet.

Good day to you sir. By any chance if I said the name ReRAM would this be of any significance to you with regards to the PS5?

... That or PS5 Portable? 😁

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
We have never had anything like Lockhart before to compare to.

Xbox 360 launch SKUs were the same spec except HDD, 1 had it, the other did not.

PS3 launch SKUs had different sized HDDs.

There weren't versions of 360 or PS3 with weaker GPU and less RAM.

With Xbox One in 2013, it was the base spec, there was nothing else with weaker or more powerful specs. Xbox One S came 3 years after the original and Scorpio/Xbox One X came out 4 years after the base console

Last edited:

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The very cheap PS3 consoles contributed a lot to the total sales of PS3 and it was evident that this was a very bad choice for customers considering this console introduced mandatory installs for console games.

Consumers just didn't seem that interested in the 20GB PS3 so was ended around six months in. This article cites a 10-to-1 ratio between sales of the 60GB and 20GB models during the limited period when it was available, so it definitely didn't contribute "a lot" to total sales. Still, it was perfect for me since I planned to upgrade the hard drive anyway and it just didn't matter whether I was discarding a 20GB or 60GB drive in the process.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. I said before that I'd hop in and try and clarify things if I saw parts leak. I'm very cautious of burning sources when the dev kits haven't been widely distributed yet.
can you hop in and give us some nice tflops numbers for the ps5. ;p surely more devs have ps5 devkits than ms. doubt you would be burning many sources because iirc cerny sent out the devkits after the wired article in april.

you also tweeted that the devkit rumors at e3 suggested a 13 tflops ps5. thats too high for many posters here, it keeps them up at night. is that still true?

We have never had anything like Lockhart before to compare to.

Xbox 360 launch SKUs were the same spec except HDD, 1 had it, the other did not.

PS3 launch SKUs had different sized HDDs.

There weren't versions of 360 or PS3 with weaker GPU and less RAM.

With Xbox One in 2013, it was the base spec, there was nothing else with weaker or more powerful specs. Xbox One S came 3 years after the original and Scorpio/

say hundreds of people walk into a bestbuy on black friday. they see a $249 lockhart and a $500 ps5. both are advertised as next gen consoles. one is advertising 4k and the other 1440p. they know fuck all about tflops, vrs, reream. they think ssd is an std. they thought x1slim was a 4k console. which one do you think would they buy?

Last edited:

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Got a new and wild prediction for you all , both Ms and Sony will sell a lot of consoles next year and both will be happy.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Got a new and wild prediction for you all , both Ms and Sony will sell a lot of consoles next year and both will be happy.

We'll be happy too.

What happens if one of Lockhart\Scarlett is wildly more successful than the other?

Let's say 4 years down the line one of them ends up with 90% of the Xbox market.

I'm probably just making up problems at this point. Ha.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
say hundreds of people walk into a bestbuy on black friday. they see a $249 lockhart and a $500 ps5. both are advertised as next gen consoles. one is advertising 4k and the other 1440p. they know fuck all about tflops, vrs, reream. they think ssd is an std. they thought x1slim was a 4k console. which one do you think would they buy?
BF sales are generally driven by price, people look for the cheapest thing and eat it up, unless MS makes every month a BF then I don't see your point.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

They will pick up the spidey 2 or GOW bundles lol.
Yes price matter the most on BF but people also care about what games they can play .

Feb 26, 2018
If Lockhart cost is 250 or 300 than it will be the best selling console WW. No Sony brand power will change that. 200-250$ difference is huge
The only way for Sony to compete is to make PS5 400$ which is highly unlikely

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
can you hop in and give us some nice tflops numbers for the ps5. ;p surely more devs have ps5 devkits than ms. doubt you would be burning many sources because iirc cerny sent out the devkits after the wired article in april.

you also tweeted that the devkit rumors at e3 suggested a 13 tflops ps5. thats too high for many posters here, it keeps them up at night. is that still true?

Again one will be widely known as the crap version on the nextbox. TFlop knowledge or no that's going to sting.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
If Lockhart cost is 250 or 300 than it will be the best selling console WW. No Sony brand power will change that. 200-250$ difference is huge

You do know that was the difference when it came to 360 and PS3 early one right ?
Even this gen the XB was much cheaper in certain part of Europe .
This also not talking about how lockhart specs will be lower which is another factor all together .
If Sony getting out sell to bad they will drop the price to $400 if PS5 is $500 with in a year .

minato

Oct 27, 2017
I bet a launch the systems with a split that will probably be something like 70% anaconda 30% lockhart no need to leave money off the table as any system they ship out will sell and this way they can market saying starting at 299. Then like a year later 50/50 split.

Feb 26, 2018
You do know that was the difference when it came to 360 and PS3 early one right ?
Even this gen the XB was much cheaper in certain part of Europe .
This also not talking about how lockhart specs will be lower which is another factor all together .
If Sony getting out sell to bad they will drop the price to $400 if PS5 is $500 with in a year .
PS3 were cheaper tho? There was a 500$ version. And ps3 had to drop price really fast

Feb 23, 2019

There's no way it will cost only $250. It will probably be $299.

And it's not as simple as that. It will be competing with Xbox 1 and PS4 for the cheaper console market. Early adopters are always enthusiasts and will grab the higher spec'd version. Lockhart will likely flop, imo, and only constrain what devs can do next-gen.

Sunlight

Apr 22, 2019
Let's think why xb1x bundle (349 with an AAA game) doesn't become best selling console worldwide.

Consumers need new motivations other than cheaper price.
Lockhart is not far from x1x, so their sales would be close.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the US, Mexico and UK, probably yes.
yep, most people dont realize how well the xbox sells in the u.s and uk. i am pretty sure they actually beat the ps4 in at least a couple of novembers this gen. maybe even december. they have had the cheaper console on the market for a good few years now and they are extremely competitive in the u.s and uk markets.

and thats considering the difference between the x1s and the ps4 slim is usually only $50. sony had to go down to $199 the last couple of years to beat them. but at $250, i distinctly remember the xbox outselling the $299 ps4 during the holiday months. when the difference is $200-250, it wont be even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.