• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
This was posted by me in this thread and I already said I was wrong about Lockhart but apparently this is not enough.

I was not at all aware of the current status of Lockhart and Tom's report on it. For that I will take the L.

That said, anyone looking for me to badmouth Tom Warren is barking up the wrong tree. He is a journalist and as a former journalist, that is a line I won't cross.
Yikes, I would hope no one would be looking for that.

Thanks again for sharing your insight with us, it is genuinely appreciated.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
This was posted by me in this thread and I already said I was wrong about Lockhart but apparently this is not enough.

In case anyone couldn't guess, at the time, I was not at all aware of the current status of Lockhart and Tom's report on it. For that I will take the L.

That said, anyone looking for me to badmouth Tom Warren is barking up the wrong tree. He is a journalist and as a former journalist, that is a line I won't cross.
No worries man, just ignore the trolls :) As we can see plans often change sometimes.

MrDeveus

Apr 26, 2019
You make very salient points. AegonSnake, and I think you'll be waiting a long while for equally strong counterpoints.

Fundamentally, the biggest benefit of the Lockhart concept is to MS. Gamers who buy the thing aren't really benefiting because their cheap compromised box will limit them to equally compromised next-gen gaming experiences. So to me, Lockhart is not "next-gen for cheaper", it's "a cheaper next-gen, for a lower price of entry". That doesn't really offer an meaningful value, as I see it.

While you may be right in that this may comprise some of MS' justifications for dropping the CPU clocks on Lockhart, I don't buy at all that this is the core reasoning. The whole point of Lockhart is to provide a lower cost of entry to next-gen, whereas what you describes veers precariously into the territory of "not even providing a next-gen experience at all". If the CPU clock difference is significant, MS is essentially trying to make the decision for developers on the limits of the scope of their game design... I just have a little more faith in MS not to reason this way.

I very much think the obvious reasoning for dropping the CPU clocks is TDP. Depending on the quality of the silicon, you don't have to drop the clocks by too much to see significant gains in console power consumption reduction and thus overall TDP. TDP has a massive impact on console hardware costs, in not just the size and complexity of the PCB, cooling and chassis design, but also ancillary factors like reduced shipping and handling costs for a smaller, lighter console.

If you want to produce a value console that doesn't compromise on performance too much, anything you can do to reduce electrical power consumption nets you the biggest wins. Which is why lower clocks and less RAM is what I expected, because even on the RAM side, GDDR6 is pretty power hungry, so if you can get away with reducing the number of RAM chips (and possibly also clocking them lower for reduced memory bandwidth---as much as you can get away with), you can again make additional savings there.

I don't buy this idea of Lockhart being connected to xCloud.

I don't think it particularly needs to be. Primarily, because I don't see a hypothetical Anaconda that draws so much power that it would be un-economical in a datacentre context.

Don't forget that xCloud datacentre economics are very different to a retail console product. You don't need 1 Scarlett datacentre node per user in your infrastructure, so you can even get away with a cost per node that is higher than the BOM per single Anaconda console. The costs of the infrastructure and running costs will be amortised over an entire generation's worth of xCloud subscription revenues. So the nodes will pay for themselves many times over and then some.

There's every possibility that MS could even skim the highest possible quality Anaconda chips off their console APU production, i.e. those that clock highest stably for the lowest possible voltages (i.e. binning), for use in their xCloud datacentres. Which grants the nice benefit of higher aggregate energy efficiency in the xCloud clusters than any retail console part, so cheaper running costs.

This.

Like many other in this thread.

This is all correct in my opinion. Very solid points across the board.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
You say this to Tom like it is fine if Kleegamefan leaves but not Tom however at least Klee doesn't work like a pr for a company and gives us 3rd party devs input which is extremely important . It would be a shame to lose him as well as Tom .
Kleegamefan we love you and understand things can change . U single handedly provided more information to this site than most of others. So hope u stick around as we love u :)

I am so sorry this happened :(

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also Klee and Matt are neutral sources so it's less likely they will get into particular brand product hype like for example tomwarren or Greg miller. This why some times skepticism does arrive
they are all neutral sources.

In case anyone couldn't guess, at the time, I was not at all aware of the current status of Lockhart and Tom's report on it. For that I will take the L.

giphy.gif

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
they will be made for Anaconda and be down scaled resolution to Lockhart, how is this difficult to understand?
That's not how game development works. Witcher 3 & Watch Dogs got big downgrades because they couldn't just lower the resolution from the old PC builds to work on PS4/XO.
Resolution scaling can only take you so far before you have to start making big cuts.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
they will be made for Anaconda and be down scaled resolution to Lockhart, how is this difficult to understand?
I hope it works out this well. But not everything scales down equally. We'll have to see.

Also, do you mean to say that Anaconda and LH will get two different skus? Or will it be one with two sets of assets?

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How so if Scarlett games are going to be 4TF games with extra bells and whistles while PS5 exclusives will be 10-11TF games from the ground up.
The systems will be almost identical. The Lockhart is designed to run the game exactly the same, just at a quarter of the resolution (if 4tf for the final Lockhart version). The devs will start with Anaconda, then cut the resolution to 1080p and reduce the texture detail.

True, you can run Half-Life 2 & Doom 3 on PS2, just lower the resolution.
Does PS2 use the exact same GPU architecture, CPU, and RAM type as a high-end PC from 2004? Was PS2 specifically designed to run games at a quarter of the resolution of that year 2004 high-end PC?

Nov 11, 2017
That's not how game development works. Witcher 3 & Watch Dogs got big downgrades because they couldn't just lower the resolution from the old PC builds to work on PS4/XO.
Resolution scaling can only take you so far before you have to start making big cuts.
Watch dogs/assassin creed/ witcher all got downgraded because of the jaguars

Oct 25, 2017

The point being made is that not everything scales with resolution and that some things meant for a 10TF console, and only a 10TF console, won't be possible on a 4TF console. I don't know what that might be, but if the reports of devs being unhappy with Lockhart are true, then it seems there's some merit to the idea.

But who knows, maybe they're just pissed to have yet another set of specs to design around :(

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Wow this thread turned into a mess so fast.

First we should be thankful to Kleegamefan. He gave us information during the time where nothing was leaked. He also got many of us hyped during time where most people were downplaying next gen consoles. If he was seeing about Lockhart is because his sources didn't know about it.

Also Klee and Matt are neutral sources so it's less likely they will get into particular brand product hype like for example tomwarren or Greg miller. This why some times skepticism does arrive

In the end we should listen to all the insiders and respect them for what they bring to this community. Plans do change and some one might have old information. Unless someone is continuously lying or just making things up they should not berated like this.
Maybe I missed it, is greg Miller out there saying something?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The systems will be almost identical. The Lockhart is designed to run the game exactly the same, just at a quarter of the resolution (if 4tf for the final Lockhart version). The devs will start with Anaconda, then cut the resolution to 1080p and reduce the texture detail.

Does PS2 use the exact same GPU architecture, CPU, and RAM type as a high-end PC from 2004? Was PS2 specifically designed to run games at a quarter of the resolution of that year 2004 high-end PC?
The difference in power between PS2 & Xbox was smaller than Lockhart & Scarlet will be & PS2 simply couldn't run Xbox games like HL2, Doom 3, Conkers etc.
PS3/360 & PS4/XO are pretty close, so i have to go back to Gen 6 to compare, or possibly Switch, which i don't think could run RDR2 or Horizon Zero Dawn, it gets away with a downgraded Witcher 3 just barely.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Watch dogs/assassin creed/ witcher all got downgraded because of the jaguars
I don't know, the effects that got stripped away from WD & Witcher 3 were GPU focused effects, you can see the club that Aiden goes into, the shadows & fog were taken away completely. The CPU doesn't seem to be an issue with any of the games you mentioned, since they pulled off huge crowds, especially in Unity.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
The difference in power between PS2 & Xbox was smaller than Lockhart & Scarlet will be & PS2 simply couldn't run Xbox games like HL2, Doom 3, Conkers etc.
PS3/360 & PS4/XO are pretty close, so i have to go back to Gen 6 to compare, or possibly Switch, which i don't think could run RDR2 or Horizon Zero Dawn, it gets away with a downgraded Witcher 3 just barely.

Solid username bro!

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
catching up on the thread, again, and i'm convinced...

its time to separate out the threads. this shit is whack reading constant hyperbole (on both sides), snikering and name calling (on both sides), calling out professionals, and passive aggressive bullshit. if it wasn't for my absolute insatiable thirst for any scrap of next-gen info i'd gladly leave this thread ignored.

mods please?

MrDeveus

Apr 26, 2019
The point being made is that not everything scales with resolution and that some things meant for a 10TF console, and only a 10TF console, won't be possible on a 4TF console. I don't know what that might be, but if the reports of devs being unhappy with Lockhart are true, then it seems there's some merit to the idea.

But who knows, maybe they're just pissed to have yet another set of specs to design around :(

I am not a developer so i don't know any better than i would say most people posting about this. I will say no one knows how anything plays out until launch. it could work one way or be different, maybe MS found a way in the software side for it to work or even hardware side like they did with Backcompat games. All i am saying is we do not know, don't see the point in so much concern over no information.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017

its time to separate out the threads. this shit is whack reading constant hyperbole (on both sides), snikering and name calling (on both sides), calling out professionals, and passive aggressive bullshit. if it wasn't for my absolute insatiable thirst for any scrap of next-gen info i'd gladly leave this thread ignored.

mods please?
I agree . Too many one off drive bys while the actual developers chime in but get ignored.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Your comparisons are off because everything is worse in them. Half Life 2 on the PS2 was not possible because everything was a generation behind. PS 4 and Xbox one are known for having an explicitly bad CPU, even for when they were released back then.
Lockhart will be a scaled down version of Scarlett but it's not a generation apart in any case.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017

mods please?

When they go low, you go high.

Otherwise, you'll go insane.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

It's more than enough. No stress Klee.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Your comparisons are off because everything is worse in them. Half Life 2 on the PS2 was not possible because everything was a generation behind. PS 4 and Xbox one are known for having an explicitly bad CPU, even for when they were released back then.
Lockhart will be a scaled down version of Scarlett but it's not a generation apart in any case.

It very possible to make a game on PS5 or Ana only that won't be able to scale easy to lockhart .
Just made a game 1080P@30fps and full it with RT and GPU compute effects and that would be hard for lockhart to run .
Of course no devs will be making 1080p games on PS5 or Ana lol.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It very possible to make a game on PS5 or Ana only that won't be able to scale easy to lockhart .
Just made a game 1080P@30fps and full it with RT and GPU compute effects and that would be hard for lockhart to run .
Of course no devs will be making 1080p games on PS5 or Ana lol.
But the comparisons were still off.
Of course you can construct an argument just for the sake of it to say "this will not scale easily on Lockhart" but how much sense is in that?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
But the comparisons were still off.
Of course you can construct an argument just for the sake of it to say "this will not scale easily on Lockhart" but how much sense is in that?

I mean this whole debate is about what can scale or not scale and how games going to get effect by it .
You can construct an argument for either side which is what has been happening for the last few pages .

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do you keep disregarding my point about the similar architectures? You keep going by raw numbers when no other direct console comparison works because of their difference in architectures. The consoles in this generation were the closest architecture wise, but their architectural differences caused one console to have a larger advantage than the raw numbers would suggest.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yes, or just dont post. i wonder how much good discussion is shelved for literally 10-15 pages of bickering?

i'm here to enjoy a hobby!
yeah im gonna have to call bs. 99% of the drivebys have been done by lockhart supporters making passive aggressive comments at people who actually bothered to write more than a couple of sentences. they have zero intention of engaging in a discussion which is why its bizarre to see you complain about discussion being shelved for 15 pages.

you are also guilty of the same hypocrisy. your post is aimed at no one in particular. why not pick a post, quote the person and join the discussion. all you want is a safe space for yourself and your buddies who dont want anyone to talk about lockhart.

i do not understand this mentality. this is a video game forum. ive been coming to these forums for 20 years and have never shied away from a good argument. its why i come here. there are plenty of other avenues where you can just go and be positive, say your peace, and enjoy your hobby. twitch chats, youtube comments, twitter. thats the kind of short form stuff you are probably looking for. Forums have always been about long form discussions. yes, eventually everything turns into bickering, but thats the format. stifling discussion on a video game forum is just poor form. it's like calling on radio talk show covering sports and then bitching about how everyone is complaining about the team not performing well. thats what radio talk shows are about. its their only purpose. same goes for forums. we are meant to discuss stuff.

lastly, this is a thread that goes to shit every two weeks whenever someone brings us back to the 8 tflops cycle. did you really think it would not go to shit when we went all the way down to 4? everyone here knows that 8->10->12->14->8 cycle pic. we are now permanently adding a 4 right there in the middle. this was always going to warrant passionate discussion. sadly, the other side does not seem interested in a debate.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean this whole debate is about what can scale or not scale and how games going to get effect by it .
You can construct an argument for either side which is what has been happening for the last few pages .
The scaling itself will still work, no matter what Scarlett or PS5 will render, Lockhart would just be lower than that.
But it might be a720p situation again for a 1080p Scarlett games but how likely is that?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
The scaling itself will still work, no matter what Scarlett or PS5 will render, Lockhart would just be lower than that.
But it might be a720p situation again for a 1080p Scarlett games but how likely is that?

At some point you can't go lower and will just have to cut the effect .
I mean if you use 4TF of power to do GPU compute and RT that is the whole of lockhart gpu budget .

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
yeah im gonna have to call bs. 99% of the drivebys have been done by lockhart supporters making passive aggressive comments at people who actually bothered to write more than a couple of sentences. they have zero intention of engaging in a discussion which is why its bizarre to see you complain about discussion being shelved for 15 pages.

you are also guilty of the same hypocrisy. your post is aimed at no one in particular. why not pick a post, quote the person and join the discussion. all you want is a safe space for yourself and your buddies who dont want anyone to talk about lockhart.

i do not understand this mentality. this is a video game forum. ive been coming to these forums for 20 years and have never shied away from a good argument. its why i come here. there are plenty of other avenues where you can just go and be positive, say your peace, and enjoy your hobby. twitch chats, youtube comments, twitter. thats the kind of short form stuff you are probably looking for. Forums have always been about long form discussions. yes, eventually everything turns into bickering, but thats the format. stifling discussion on a video game forum is just poor form. it's like calling on radio talk show covering sports and then bitching about how everyone is complaining about the team not performing well. thats what radio talk shows are about. its their only purpose. same goes for forums. we are meant to discuss stuff.

lastly, this is a thread that goes to shit every two weeks whenever someone brings us back to the 8 tflops cycle. did you really think it would not go to shit when we went all the way down to 4? everyone here knows that 8->10->12->14->8 cycle pic. we are now permanently adding a 4 right there in the middle. this was always going to warrant passionate discussion. sadly, the other side does not seem interested in a debate.

you admit it goes to shit every two weeks and are calling me out for saying the same? whatever, i said my peace. you aren't drawing me into an argument i want no part of.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Why do you keep disregarding my point about the similar architectures? You keep going by raw numbers when no other direct console comparison works because of their difference in architectures. The consoles in this generation were the closest architecture wise, but their architectural differences caused one console to have a larger advantage than the raw numbers would suggest.
Because the architecture being similar only matters to a point, someone like Naughty Dog could design their game exclusively around a ray traced lighting solution (there is an indie horror game on Steam that does this already, it's interesting) which you simply can't turn off because you need those accurate reflections for gameplay reasons & there is no standard deferred rendering lighting to fall back on like Metro & Control have (this saves dev time too if they cut this out) then to save performance, they compromise to a 1440p resolution or some form of reconstruction.

How would you get this game running on Lockhart? Run it at 540p?

Status
Not open for further replies.