• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
All this tells me is that you will find something to be upset about no matter what. One guy jokingly said i cant believe no one has made a petition over it. He said that because no one HAS made a petition for it. Then another guy, yours truly, posted a meme going back literally 13 years. That's it. No one is thinking about a petition. No one. It's shocking that you saw those two posts and arrived at the conclusion that we are seriously talking about a petition.

The passive aggressive insults are also getting extremely hard to ignore. we get it, you are 50 and mature and we must all look like teenagers to you. But sometimes a joke is just a joke.
What insult? I made a LOL on that joke. I mean didn't you post Devs and Publishers should ignore Xbox? If this was a joke too I would like that sign those jokes in a better way. Because all your comments regarding Lockhart is my baseline to look at those comments as serious.

There are also examples when I know you are joking: Everytime you post #team14TF stuff.

Nov 11, 2017
Maybe in other threads on the forum, but I haven't seen much of what you describe here in this thread.

What is your point exactly? That the fact that plans can and do change is not a valid excuse and so we should all dogpile Kleegamefan?... I don't really see where you're going with this line of discourse.
You literally said

"but I do think "plans can change" is a pretty rich fall back position for simply being proven wrong." That's your words not mines and no we shouldn't dogpile him

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It not that simple since that would have change how millions of people bought games and would have had a direct effect on the industry .
Yes we moving to DD but we still have other options for now.
Plus some people save money that way so i can blame them .
You used that abbrev. "DD" before. And I still don't know what it means ;) Can you explain it to me? Thanks.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
You would actually have "different" games for lockheart and anaconda. They would download different assets and set different IQ presets. As long as lockheart is beefy enough to have the same amount of characters on screen and things going on and same AI, it really is just graphical IQ settings being scaled down for the lower end box.

can a nvidia 6800 gt run crysis? Yes. doesn't mean the game was really designed for it as it was a couple nvidia gens old by that point.Could a 6800 gt with a 10 year old mobile cpu run crysis? Probably not.

if you have the same cpu set up, Can you tell me exactly what a 12tflop gpu can do at 4k that a 5tflop gpu can't do at 1080p???

The lockhart reportedly also has "significantly" less ram. it's not strictly a GPU situation.
You also seem to ignore that the "90" system could be running a 1080 or 1440p game that maxes out it's capabilities that could not be run on a competing system with a 5tf GPU.

I don't believe for a second that every game is going to run on PS5/Anaconda flawlessly at 4K. You're going to get compromises.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
if you have the same cpu set up, Can you tell me exactly what a 12tflop gpu can do at 4k that a 5tflop gpu can't do at 1080p???
what if a developers ambitions for 12TFs is not to make a 4K game? What if they want to implement all The graphically intense bells and whistles to make a mind blowingly gorgeous 1440p or lower game?

Might they feel any type of reluctance to ship a sub 1080p game on Lockhart, that's a compromised vision for what's possible with 12TFs

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
New from Jason on Kotaku splitscreen:

The way it was described to me by a couple of engineering folks is because the CPU and SSD are there, and the RAM, I think it's going to have less memory, less RAM--[Lockhart] will have significantly less RAM.

The CPU makes a big difference, especially when it comes to frame rates, and the solid-state drive makes a huge difference when it comes to loading times. So what I think these guys can do a lot of the time is knock down the texture quality and you take a hit on the resolution, but you don't have to sacrifice frame rate as much and you don't even have to sacrifice what you're putting on the screen as much.

If all these guys have solid-state drives and can do different things with the way they load in memory and decide what you're going to see on-screen, that might affect things.

Dunno how accurate it is--eg ifJason is sure Lockhart will have significantly less RAM or not--but it's interesting to say the least.

How would less RAM affect developing games for Lockhart?

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA

Won't be long before we hear stuff like clocks, ram amount are not finalized and can be adjusted before launch, even though clocks and ram amount are supposed to be locked 18 months before launch. Which is it!

The answer is the former.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has followed Microsoft stuff and met these guys, Tom and Thurrott are the two best informed people when it comes to anything Microsoft is working on - period

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It not that simple since that would have change how millions of people bought games and would have had a direct effect on the industry .
Yes we moving to DD but we still have other options for now.
Plus some people save money that way so i can blame them .
Yes it affects millions but not in the same way like pollution does, health care does or politics does. I think we can agree on that, right? (and thanks for solving the DD puzzle for me)

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The lockhart reportedly also has "significantly" less ram. it's not strictly a GPU situation.
You also seem to ignore that the "90" system could be running a 1080 or 1440p game that maxes out it's capabilities that could not be run on a competing system with a 5tf GPU.

I don't believe for a second that every game is going to run on PS5/Anaconda flawlessly at 4K. You're going to get compromises.

Again. These consoles will use shared RAM. A console with 4K output needs significantly more RAM than one for 1440p or 1080p. Why do you think the XBX needed more RAM?

The RAM available for the normal game operations will likely be the same with Scarlett and PS5 using the extra RAM solely for the extra space needed for higer resolutions and features. If the RAM is lower it will only be stepped down by this amount.

A lot of people here seem to think that the engineers making this console (same as XBX and XBS) are somehow idiots and haven't already been thinking through this.

msia2k75

Nov 1, 2017
The fact that Lockhart has less RAM is logical since its GPU is much less powerful than the one in Anaconda. Which means a smaller memory bus (128bit to 160bit), hence less memory.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Again. These consoles will use shared RAM. A console with 4K output needs significantly more RAM than one for 1440p or 1080p. Why do you think the XBX needed more RAM?

The RAM available for the normal game operations will likely be the same with Scarlett and PS5 using the extra RAM solely for the extra space needed for higer resolutions and features. If the RAM is lower it will only be stepped down by this amount.

A lot of people here seem to think that the engineers making this console (same as XBX and XBS) are somehow idiots and haven't already been thinking through this.

Can the SSD help in any way? At E3 2019, Microsoft said they were using the SSD as a VRAM buffer.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Platform Warring and Antagonizing Another User; Numerous Prior Bans for Platform Warring and Antagonistic Behavior
I have a feeling that after all the selective quoting and taking everything that is said as free will that some of you might leave this place but please don't. I know this is a horrible thread that Era should be ashamed of, really, but there are people like me who appreciate your insight *and* opinion.
You say this to Tom like it is fine if Kleegamefan leaves but not Tom however at least Klee doesn't work like a pr for a company and gives us 3rd party devs input which is extremely important . It would be a shame to lose him as well as Tom .
Kleegamefan we love you and understand things can change . U single handedly provided more information to this site than most of others. So hope u stick around as we love u :)

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What insult? I made a LOL on that joke. I mean didn't you post Devs and Publishers should ignore Xbox? If this was a joke too I would like that sign those jokes in a better way. Because all your comments regarding Lockhart is my baseline to look at those comments as serious.

There are also examples when I know you are joking: Everytime you post #team14TF stuff.
what are you talking about? You said people were thinking about doing a petition, addressed it 'TO ALL YOU GUYS!' and then questioned the maturity of those people. I pointed out that no one was thinking about petitions. THAT is an insult. A passive aggressive one is that because you never actually quote people and leave these cryptic posts directed at god knows who because no one seems to be doing what you are accusing us of doing.

And now you are talking about jokes. i have no idea what you are talking about here. I was talking about the FFXIII meme i posted and now you are saying all of my posts are jokes? I am so confused. Yes, when it comes to team 14 tflops, im mostly being facetious knowing its a pipe dream but ive also detailed many times why its a real possibility. if you have an issue with what i have said about Lockhart and Devs, please feel free to quote and we can discuss it in a civil manner. I dont remember saying that devs and publishers should ignore xbox, maybe lockhart but i have said many times that they wont because no one is ignoring a $300 console bought by millions. Again, lets use quotes and discuss what i wrote instead of leaving passive aggressive comments aimed at no one.

regardless, its poor form to bitch about something that didnt happen then move goalpost and bring up my lockhart stance in an attempt to save face.

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017

To be fair, the Xbox One wasn't a failure of engineering, it was a failure of the strategy that informed the design. They could be aware of the issues it could cause and are deciding to go in this direction anyway because the advantages to their platform strategy outweigh the costs. This doesn't have to be the case, and I hope it isn't, but the questions are fair.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
That's not true. People still talked normally to each other and they just discussed things. Now we got accusations going to others and even from 1 insider to the other.

There are still people talking normally and trying to contribute something other than bickering. Not me mind you, I bring very little value. But there are some here with good intentions and some who just want to argue, just like the other threads. It'll quiet back down at some point. Then it'll get crazy again. Circle of life.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
PS5 controller to include a screen? Maybe, acc'd to recent Sony patents:

"This might be the most puzzling PS5 leak yet", Chris Smith, BGR.

It's an old patent from Ken Kuturagi. Should ignore it.

You literally said

"but I do think "plans can change" is a pretty rich fall back position for simply being proven wrong." That's your words not mines and no we shouldn't dogpile him

Yes and the context was very different.

Here we have two insiders, one with sources within MS, one whose sources are devs, as well as reports on MS communication with devs of Scarlett leaving much to be desired.

So the story is embarrassingly easy to piece together as to why the devs weren't as well informed as the journalist who gets his info. from the horse's mouth.

Again, I'm not sure where you're really going with this other than attempting some weird failed "gotcha".

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Should I also pull his Arcturus tweets to show why he is unreliable too?
I appreciate his info, but he is coming off very unprofessionally right now
You want him to act professionally but apparently don't even respect him professionally since you are fighting against him at every turn and are trying to discredit him. Kinda sounds like he's in a damned if you do, dammed if you don't situation with some people here. Hmm

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lockhart has less RAM, and CPU isn't clocked as high as Anaconda.

QxQl1zi.gif

AegonSnake I like you a lot but IMO you are overreacting ...
Colbert, my man, i swear you annoy me more than my wife.

im serious, lets discuss what i wrote. i pride myself on being open minded if not downright suggestible, lets see if you can convince me that this lockhart is a good idea. i have voiced a lot of concerns, pick one and lets discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.